project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
26 Aug 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2017-01-07, 10:34   #1
Heskey

Default Aircraft - Keyboard/Mouse

Hi all,

Over the years, literally years, I've made a few threads sounding people out on how they fly in a vain effort to 'gitgud' with flying jets with my Logitech 3D Pro. For various reasons I think I'm going to stick to mouse/keyboard.

Thing is, I suck at it. I can't find a sensitivity level that works for me. I can fly, I can land, I can do tricks - I just can't tail people and fight, or shake people off my tail. So if there were transport planes in PR, I'd be all gravy baby - but combat? Nah.

Would anyone be willing to train me a bit in Mouse/Keyboard jet flying, and can someone tell me what the default sensitivities/yaw/pitch are for Aircraft so I can reset them and work my way up from there to something that feels comfortable? I don't want to 'Reset Defaults' because that will reset EVERYTHING and I can't take a screenshot of my current keybinds for other things - just shows a blank screen when I open the screenshot in paint.

Cheers.

PS. I've just been told the default values are 1.70 Sens | 1 Pitch | 1 Yaw?

(Signature by Priby)
Last edited by Heskey; 2017-01-07 at 10:45..
Old 2017-01-07, 18:01   #2
QuickLoad

Default Re: Aircraft - Keyboard/Mouse

step a: https://assets.logitech.com/assets/5...le-gallery.png
use that for your mouse. they cost $20 around my local places.

step b: don't use track pad bullshit you don't have enough room to wiggle, with this mouse you can traverse with tanks for a longer period of time, yaw, pitch, etc.

I keep my sensitivity 0.1 higher, but I do not do jets.
QuickLoad is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-07, 18:39   #3
[R-CON]​LiamBai
PR Tournament Admin
PR Server License Moderator

Sensitivity and all that really doesn't make that much of a difference. I've won dogfights on a laptop trackpad(on FCV, full disclosure).

Flying against some semi decent pilots on a training server helps a lot at first, but after that you just need to whore all the CAS you can and believe that you are the best CAS pilot in the world for a while. Most dogfights are won or lost in seconds by spamming short range AA anyway.

Liam: $ mkdir .ssh && chmod 700 .ssh
Vista: $: command not found
LiamBai is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-07, 19:16   #4
DogACTUAL

I have a joystick but i don't use it either because i already got used to keyboard and mouse.
I use the joystick for other games.

Imo, you should not use the mouse for pitching and rolling, use the arrowkeys for that. That way you have the maximum turning speed without interruptions and you don't have to frantically slam your mouse all over your pad. Only use the mouse for precision aiming when bombing or shooting the gun.

In PR all the jets also have their best turn rate at their maximum speed, so if you are in a dogfight you should use afterburner as much as possible when trying to outturn another jet.

Set your alt fire (missiles and bombs) to spacebar as a second option to the right mouse click.
Reassign your weapon switch key from F to G, then set your primary fire (gun) to F as a second option to the mouse click.

That way you can use the weapons at the same moment while turning the jet with the arrowkeys so you can do 'snapshots' in tight moments without having to stop turning, but you will still be able to use them with your mouse too for better precision when needed.

At first it will be difficult, but you will get used to it quickly and then it will be way better then using the mouse for pitching and rolling.

Another important thing, that you might already know though:

To be able to effectively chase and fight enemy jets and to have more awareness of your surroundings in flight, you should familiarize yourself with the different view keys.

Don't use cntrl to check your surroundings while fighting, since you will not be able to pitch or roll your jet while pressing it. Instead use the following ones:

When in the jet, the standart keys for the different views are 7, 8 and 9. When you press them, your view will change to a different angle for each one. Once you pressed one of them, you can press your alt fire key, right click and/or in my case spacebar, to get the view angle to shift more upwards. This is very handy when tracking other jets.

The most important of those keys is 8, since you will look directly above your HUD display and when you press right click/spacebar after using it your view will shift even more upwards, looking straight up through the glass of the jet canopy.

It is the most important one, because with it you can easily keep track of the jet your are fighting with when it disappears out of your upper FOV on the HUD display view. I think this view also has a bigger field of view than the standart HUD view, so it is easier to spot other jets with it.

If your fingers are not long enough to reach the 8 key comfortably while flying, u can set a 2nd keybind to that function. E would be a good key for that, just put the 'enter vehicle' keybind on a different key like B for example.

7 and 9 are not that important and can be reached by just cycling through weapons with G if you have trouble reaching them directly.

To effectively spot jets and maximize your chance of seeing them first, keep flying in circles and loops alternating between horizontal and vertical alignment by rolling in different direction while turning, to basically be able to visually cover the maximum amount of airspace in as little time as possible.
While you are doing that try to 'spam' your different view keys as fast as possible to ensure as much situational awareness as you can. Put an emphasis on 8/E (up view) and C (rear view) as they are the most important, but also throw in a little 7 and 9 now and then. Of course also use spacebar to shift the angles for the different views more upwards so you get all the angles available.
Last edited by DogACTUAL; 2019-06-23 at 14:26..
Old 2017-01-08, 04:47   #5
BlackGus

I play with Joystick and keyboard, i dont have problems.
This is my toy:

BlackGus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-08, 05:01   #6
CAS_ual_TY
PR Server License Administrator

Made a video about my settings some time ago. I can recommend them. Allows you to turn constantly while still having a hand on the mouse.

CAS_ual_TY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-08, 12:09   #7
DogACTUAL

That's great and all, but everytime you will use the spacebar to pitch up and try to use the mouse at the same moment, the mouse input will interfere and block the spacebar pitch and your jet will stop pitching up with full force.
Not good if you are in a tight turnfight, trying to get that exact cannon shot off at just the right moment and it is important that your aim stays in front of the jet you are fighting.

I had almost the same control setup but switched it out for my current one because of that.

Really good solution with the view keys though, for me it is kind of annoying to use mine because i have to reach very far on the keyboard.
Last edited by DogACTUAL; 2017-01-08 at 12:20..
Old 2017-01-10, 07:17   #8
CAS_ual_TY
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogACTUAL View Post
That's great and all, but everytime you will use the spacebar to pitch up and try to use the mouse at the same moment, the mouse input will interfere and block the spacebar pitch and your jet will stop pitching up with full force.
Not good if you are in a tight turnfight, trying to get that exact cannon shot off at just the right moment and it is important that your aim stays in front of the jet you are fighting.

I had almost the same control setup but switched it out for my current one because of that.

Really good solution with the view keys though, for me it is kind of annoying to use mine because i have to reach very far on the keyboard.
Depends on which you set as primary. If the space is primary you will keep turning

CAS_ual_TY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-10, 10:16   #9
Tit4Tat

Either way, it's a good trick to use spacebar as your pitch up, works well in chopers too.

==============================================

=MeRk=_Smurf_1st

Tit4Tat is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-23, 15:17   #10
DogACTUAL

To be frank, i really think assigning spacebar to pitch up and not assigning any other keys for roll and the like is a pleb tier setup.

Your end up being slightly confused by constantly having to control steering with 2 hands and on seperate input devices, even if you are used to it i argue you will still be at a disadvantage to someone using more streamlined controls, because they are more 'natural' and will allow for faster and more precise input. Meanwhile with arrow keys all the steering control is right there which allows for better overall control.

Pitch forward is also really useful to have and a good pilot will want to use it as well frequently, with arrow keys the control scheme just makes more sense, all the major controls in one place. Roll is also much more important than the space bar crowd give it credit for, in a usual PR dogfight you are not only trying to outturn the other jet but also outroll it in most cases, therefore having dedicated keys for rolling is important to guarentee you the fastest uninterrupted roll rate.

Not only did the DEVs totally throw off the CAS/AA balance and make TOWs useless against tanks, no that was not enough. They also had to introduce their most controversial change yet, a 16 character limit on player names.
------------------
''Mats literally does not give a single fuck what you, me or everybody else thinks the game should be like. He doesn't care if you, me or everybody else plays the game even.'' - Frontliner
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
aircraft, keyboard or mouse