project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Developer Blogs > Dr Rank
16 Jun 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Rate this Entry
Sangin update
Posted in: Uncategorized
Posted 2019-04-01 at 16:53 by Dr Rank

April 1st now aside, I'm genuinely hoping it's actually more like months rather than years. About to have a 2nd child so that’s going to put a bit of a spanner in the works but I’m starting to see the end in sight.

Updated minimap

Compound detail work countdown:

67 compound areas completed, 11 to go...

Once those ones are all done, it's gamemodes, lightmaps, field swapping, final little bits of detail and testing testing testing...

Updated 2019-04-20 at 07:00 by Dr Rank (added latest map + updated compound numbers left)
Views: 3892 | Comments: 16

« Previous Entry  |  Main

Comments
Total Comments: 16
  1. Old Comment
    Whats the memory requirements like? FOB/Airfield looks quite static intensive
  2. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WeeGeez View Comment
    Whats the memory requirements like? FOB/Airfield looks quite static intensive
    Seems to run fine on PCs with 8GB RAM. The Airfield uses lots of grouped statics, reducing the number of draw calls, so it runs fine. The FOB isn't that static intensive, I've not noticed any performance issues. I've done a lot of optimisation over the years so fingers crossed there shouldn't be any/many performance issues. I know South East area is a little intensive so I've done a lot of optimisation there already. I haven't done a big test in a while, should be doing one in a few months so we'll see how it goes then.
  3. Old Comment
    Im not sure but what for so many objects in airport area? it looks like a point for noncapturing flag so I doubt that it will have much reason for such details..
  4. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fenriz9000 View Comment
    Im not sure but what for so many objects in airport area? it looks like a point for noncapturing flag so I doubt that it will have much reason for such details..
    Immersion. Realism. Oh and and a little bit of taking things too far... Rhino offered to make the runway, I spoke to Gaz and UK_Force about the layout, Rhino also made me some high poly tents as well as the low poly versions for the stuff in the surrounding terrain.

I went all in with this map, Rhino went all in with me making thousands of statics. It’s been a labour of love and frustration for many years. Not long left to wait.
    Updated 2019-04-23 at 12:52 by Dr Rank
  5. Old Comment
    It was more a concern for players with lower spec rigs. classic pr maps were made by devs with 4gb rigs, imparting a conservative element, thus all ran relatively fluidly on max settings. then came 8/16gb ram configs and 2gb+ video cards, devs went wild, calling for extra refinement on maps made with such rigs, which could otherwise have been averted had more attention been paid to the 'limits' observed on classics.
    What would help here is an agreement re: upper limit determined by the community to be set in stone, for future modders to abide - otherwise requirements again may 'creep up' in the distant future, however long should the mod last, really crazy maps may arise worst case then.

It's an old game and ought to run blazing on todays mid range gear like bf2 does, or some classic PR maps (qwai river) however newer maps have become more demanding - fun no less - but still intensive. I'm not saying sangin is bad, theres proabably worser offenders out there.

The tents R overkill though. You should test on a 4gig rig for those who would appreciate it....

Braw map either way out of everything I've itched to play this for ages. I was a bit gutted when I witnessed beta footage uploaded on youtube ..... from 2014 lol...........

Updated 2019-05-17 at 09:53 by WeeGeez
  6. Old Comment
    *lurking in this thread excited*