project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Developer Blogs > Dr Rank
21 Oct 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Rate this Entry
Bastion and the Surrounding Terrain are pretty much done
Posted in: Mapping
Posted 2011-10-12 at 22:54 by [R-DEV]Dr Rank

Hey everyone, just a quick one to keep you posted on development, Camp Bastion is now pretty much finished, it needs a few other additions but I'll have to wait for those to be made first The runway model itself is another one of Rhino's amazing additions! The surrounding terrain is pretty much sorted too, again, its just awaiting a few other bits to be made to finish it off. Here's an updated minimap and a few screenshots of a Bastion (which is around 1700m x 1200m at its widest and longest points) in its current state:

An editor shot to show the full base (a large part of Bastion is in the surrounding terrain to save on space whilst still giving the impression of a larger base):

A few ingame shots:

(ignore the black patches to the right, the runway will be fixed with shaders etc in the future)

(please note that the tower in the image below is just a placeholder, as are the concrete barriers)

So what's next? Some more performance tweaks whilst I await Rhino's 'IKEA store' to finish manufacturing all its goods XD (New IKEA Store Opening in Helmand! - Project Reality Forums), then it'll be compounds, final details including all the new fields, final terrain tweaks, FOB buildings and cabling work, gamemodes, lightmaps etc, and finally on to testing
Updated 2011-10-16 at 12:16 by [R-DEV]Dr Rank
Views: 86472 | Comments: 40

« Previous Entry  |  Main  |  Next Entry »

Comments
Total Comments: 40
  1. Old Comment
    How closely do you guys stick to real-life geography?

Coming from a guy who's been interested in the goings-on in Sangin for years now (and Sangin particularly).
  2. Old Comment
    what kind of map is this ? and can we expect it in the next patch ?
  3. Old Comment
    Is the rest of the base actually going to serve any purpose?

As in, will I actually have a need to explore 200m of tents?
  4. Old Comment
    You are sick! Sangin and 128 players...

[IMG]http://files.sharenator.com/RandyMarshJizz_New_Skyrim_Trailer-s635x477-140227.jpg[/IMG]
  5. Old Comment
    *Looks at picture of base*

*Looks at picture of bastion*

*looks at both together*

Yup... Ill give you that
    Posted 2011-10-13 at 09:14 by UKrealplayER666 UKrealplayER666 is offline
  6. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zyco187 View Comment
    what kind of map is this ? and can we expect it in the next patch ?
    Its mainly a 4km by 4km Insurgency map with British vs Taliban forces. Plenty of other blog and highlight posts on it if you look about that have lots more info on this

Project Reality Forums - [R-DEV]Dr Rank

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dtacs View Comment
    Is the rest of the base actually going to serve any purpose?

As in, will I actually have a need to explore 200m of tents?
    The base in the surrounding terrain has no real significance other than to give some idea of the scale of the r/l base (Although its much, much larger in r/l) which helps a lot with immersion

The only real areas significant to the player are the vehicle park, the road to the exit, the chopper runway and stands and the main runway + plane stands. Rank hopes to also put in other areas for the player to have fun with too but most of the base is purely there to represent what's there in r/l

But don't worry as this won't impact too much on perfomance as per my "Pitching Tents" highlight a few months ago, I've made "low rez" versions of the tents for surrounding terrain use
  7. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Comment
    Asad Khal, a 1km by 1km map is 1024 x 1024 meters to be exact. Where bastion as per Rank's op is 1700m x 1200m, so its quite a bit bigger than Asad Khal

So if I scale this correctly..

This is bigger then 4kmx4km? >_>
  8. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dev1200 View Comment
    So if I scale this correctly..

This is bigger then 4kmx4km? >_>
    http://i.imgur.com/Fnm5L.jpg

1/2 of the width of the base is in the surrounding terrain, so only ~900m width of the base is in the pri terrain.
  9. Old Comment
    I must admit, that's darn (oh heck, what did I say there!) impressive!
    not only the base, which is absolutely huge -yet still very detailed- , never seen anything like that in pr before (thanks for those optimized tents, rhino!), but that new runway is interesting as well!

map appears to be heading to a "huge kokan" direction, btw, if not an afghani bocage-fest!
  10. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wakain View Comment
    but that new runway is interesting as well!
    Cheers, I'll be making a blog of my own in a few days time about that

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wakain View Comment
    map appears to be heading to a "huge kokan" direction, btw, if not an afghani bocage-fest!
    The map will be quite a lot different from kokan tbh, very different style all round.