PDA

View Full Version : The Namer apc is to lightly armored;Or Merkava is to heavaly armored

maniac1031
2011-06-20, 13:39
This is just a quick little feedback that I noticed while playing on Gaza as hamas on NwA.

At one point in the round I managed to get my hands on the Hamas Hat and proceeded to shoot 3 Namers and one Merkava, The result was 3 black smoking and then exploding Namers and one light smoking Merkava. So seeing as they have the same hull one of their armor values must be off.

Rudd
2011-06-20, 13:52
did you hit each in exactly the same location?

maniac1031
2011-06-20, 14:03
Rudd;1613285']did you hit each in exactly the same location?

Yep both in the side lower armor about center of the vehicle. And the 2nd time i hit the Merk after it got repaired I hit it from above and it still did the same damage.

Stealthgato
2011-06-23, 13:21
Namer too lightly armored?! I put C4 on its back armor with a captured engineer kit, detonated it and it was only smoking, not even tracked!

maniac1031
2011-06-23, 13:43
Namer too lightly armored?! I put C4 on its back armor with a captured engineer kit, detonated it and it was only smoking, not even tracked!

If you did that to the merk it would do the same thing. The Namer should realistically have the same armor values as the merk minus the top maybe.

Moonlight
2011-06-23, 13:44

The reason for this is the fact that a c4 "brick" has hardly any armor piercing capabilities. Otherwise HE rounds would be deadly vs armor.
You need a shaped charge/kinetic penetrator to do serious damage to armor.
Or a big enough explosion - arty ied, bomb etc.

On topic: I find the fact that Hamas can destroy/disable a Namer/Merkava with a single rpg hit quite poor for gameplay. Gaza's asset layout was set so tanks (back when there were no Namers) would act as battering rams.
All they do now is:
a)shot anyone dumb enough to climb the building at the outskirts of the city while camping near the main
b) get destroyed of ieds/bombcars/tandem rpgs

I have no complains about their capabilities in AAS. Namer usually survives 1 or 2 hits with 120mm sabot round which, I'd say, reflects its armor.
but why would an old tandem rocket from an rpg make it blow almost instantly when it can survive a direct hit with a modern kinetic penetrator round or an ERYX missile? ;D

maniac1031
2011-06-23, 13:48
I have no complains about their capabilities in AAS. Namer usually survives 1 or 2 hits with 120mm sabot round which, I'd say, reflects its armor.
;D

What map has anything with 120mm rounds with the IDF on it?

karambaitos
2011-06-23, 13:51
^because its russian, the sheer power of awesome emanating from the core of the round is highly deadly, once it explodes that power is released incinerating anything in front of it.

though yes ive found it ridiculous that the Namer has the same HP as the mekerva in the code but the namer seems to die much faster, and open top IDF humvee has the same health as armored humvee

Rudd
2011-06-23, 13:51
Iron Eagle I guess.

The HP levels are equal between the two vehicles afaik, so this is a more complicated issue....

Moonlight
2011-06-23, 13:52
What map has anything with 120mm rounds with the IDF on it?

Iron eagle.
Edit:
q.q

maniac1031
2011-06-23, 13:53
Of course Iron eagle forgot about that map entirely. Was going to say there is a map layout of Beirut with tanks?

ytman
2011-06-23, 15:29
I tried it in local and was unable to kill the Namer with one tandem. Perhaps the Namers were damaged previously and the Merkava was closest to full health?

maniac1031
2011-06-23, 17:03
I tried it in local and was unable to kill the Namer with one tandem. Perhaps the Namers were damaged previously and the Merkava was closest to full health?

Namer was definitely not damaged I had set up right on the city limits and was the first person on hamas to even see the Namers. I would get the BFR but when i try to dl it gives me like a corrupt file error or something. If any one else was in that game could they get the recording. Also there was a like 10 sec delay before the apc exploded where it started spewing black smoke and then burst into flames.

Tarranauha200
2011-06-23, 18:51
They added more hitpoints so that vehicles get criticly damaged(burning) instead of just blowing up. You should go to local server and hit them in exacly same location from point blank range.

FLAP_BRBGOING2MOON
2011-06-24, 19:34
The Namer and Merkava take an excessive amount of terrain damage from Gaza's sand. the tank needs to be absolutely topped off on repairs to survive a tandem

Stealthgato
2011-06-27, 01:36
The reason for this is the fact that a c4 "brick" has hardly any armor piercing capabilities. Otherwise HE rounds would be deadly vs armor.
You need a shaped charge/kinetic penetrator to do serious damage to armor.
Or a big enough explosion - arty ied, bomb etc.

I know that, but does the BF2 engine have the capability to distinguish it?