PDA

View Full Version : Lynx - Dragonfly

PLODDITHANLEY
2011-04-20, 08:54
The use of this heli has perplexed me for a while in dragonfly.

It has no weapons or crate so quite often it is rarely used or sometimes it spots, given on this map the problems with the Brits crossing the river I would of thought the ability to drop a crate would be useful.

I could see how it could be used as an advance spotter for an armour column spotting any spandrels intent on ambushing, but that level of TW is rare.

AFAIK its the only heli in PR without guns, or crates some even have both....

Like to hear others opinions or an explanation why it's so unique.

Brit army air corp details (http://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/aircraft/1532.aspx)

Smiddey723
2011-04-20, 09:03
i agree, the role that this helicopter on this map is kinda odd as of the no guns or crates. iirc it was the same with the origional little bird, 5 seats and no crates. however since the british merlin has issues and the chinook is far too big it might be worth considering at least putting one crate in it

PLODDITHANLEY
2011-04-20, 09:11
I'd forgotten the five troops thing too. Annoying like the Humvee's which leads to 5 man locked squads a gogo.

AAC says 9 troops plus two crew.

Sgt.BountyOrig
2011-04-20, 09:14
Its got more than 5 seats, they just arent visible on the helicopters icon in the bottom left.

TheComedian
2011-04-20, 10:13
It also has the ability to bounce and shrug off AA all the time. Its speed makes it impossible for 50. cals to track it (unless ambushed on landing), he can fly from the militia base to british base in 10 seconds.

It is very hard to land on the helipad because of the high HESCO around it + the radio tower.

It has 8 seats (you can't see the seats on the mini icon)

Good sides:

Fastest helicopter in-game,
Good survivability/health

Smiddey723
2011-04-20, 11:04
It has 8 seats (you can't see the seats on the mini icon)

if thats the case isnt that a bug?:neutral:

PLODDITHANLEY
2011-05-30, 11:26
But still the ONLY heli with out guns or crates in PR.

So its for quick squad drops and recon I guess.

Rudd
2011-05-30, 16:47
If the merlin didn't have issues atm I'd put that in, the chinook is unfortunately a bit too large tbh

I'm unsure of the rationale regarding the lynx setup

dtacs
2011-05-31, 08:05
Its effective on Dragonfly, perhaps too effective due to its speed, especially when the Brits can keep it alive.

AnimalMother was piloting once on TG and was literally speeding across the entire map within seconds, transporting every squad lightning quick due to the easy landing zones (rooftops). We capped the Militia out in something like 20 minutes, using the lynx as the sole transport.

Tarranauha200
2011-06-11, 11:16
if thats the case isnt that a bug?:neutral:

No, 6 For INF and 2 for Pilot and co-pilot.
Edit: Actyally its 7 for INF and 1 for pilot since you cant sit in co-pilot seat.

thebeanie
2011-06-13, 05:16
i think at the very least it should be given ammo crates like any APC

Tarranauha200
2011-06-13, 15:40
i think at the very least it should be given ammo crates like any APC

Or maybe make it so you can reload onboard it slowly? It was suggested for APCs.

Imchicken1
2011-06-13, 18:27
I like the idea of giving it supply boxes. Only problem is the actual "helipad", with it being uneven

Operator009
2011-06-13, 23:50
Leave it as is.

The Lynx is invaluable to armor squads. Its ridiculously easy to spot enemy armor AND infantry on this map from the Lynx, and it goes so fast that tanks would never be able to shell it. Iv'e taken RPG's the the nose in that thing and didn't even get bleed. Repaired for like 6 seconds on the pad I think.

Other than that, its a favorable mode for full squads to be transported in. Every flag on the map (in the city) can be landed on (their surfaces are HUGE with no rails or anything on their sides) and enterable on foot through the skylights (which have no windows and dont produce fall damage). The buildings are actually easier to land on than the helipad at main.

IMHO this is the BEST map for the lynx. I would, however, not mind being able to drop one or two supply boxes from the sides. Although is it really needed? Why not just increase main base helipad size and put a merlin in then. That would be easier I guess.

ShockUnitBlack
2011-06-14, 00:03
The Lynx, until the Merlin's fixed, could do with a crate and seven passenger slots. Right now it's an anomaly in PR for the reasons mentioned in the OP.

Rhino
2011-06-14, 00:14
Right now it's an anomaly in PR for the reasons mentioned in the OP.

Actually its more that the other light choppers don't all fit the same standard is the main anomaly but that's mainly due to the Huey being the USMCs current only transport chopper, although the Sea Knight would suit the role well of a medium lift transport chopper, like the Merlin, we don't have a model for it and won't be making one since its being phased out of service.

Stealthgato
2011-06-14, 00:51
Rhino;1610292']Actually its more that the other light choppers don't all fit the same standard is the main anomaly but that's mainly due to the Huey being the USMCs current only transport chopper, although the Sea Knight would suit the role well of a medium lift transport chopper, like the Merlin, we don't have a model for it and won't be making one since its being phased out of service.

Osprey? :D

Rhino
2011-06-14, 02:16
Osprey? :D

I know the USMC class it as medium lift for some very odd reason even thou it has basically the same lift capacity of the Chinook (~12,400 kgs), ye quite a bit less than the super stallion (~18,300 kgs) but still way more than the Sea Knight (only 4,000 kgs...) which it classes to be Medium as well...

The big problem with trying to class it as medium lift gameplay wise when comparing it with the Merlin etc is that it can lift much more than the Merlin (~5,000 kgs) and as I said above, it has basically the same lift as the Chinook which is classed as heavy lift by most militarise and with it having its tiltrotors, it will zoom across 4km maps in seconds let alone 2km maps and its huge, landing it anywhere is a total pain in the ass... Just a quick example of what I mean with using RI's V-22 when Muttrah was WIP.
http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/2658/screen1519xi6.jpg