PDA

View Full Version : Update Update from the Bomb Squad

requiem
2006-09-06, 22:25
Dear all,

We thought we'd give you a little treat again for showing your continued support and patience in waiting for 0.4. Below we have an IED as well as a British frag nade, hope you enjoy!

<center>
http://realitymod.com/images/IED_finalimage_th.jpg (http://realitymod.com/images/IED_finalimage.jpg) http://realitymod.com/images/L109_finalimage_th.jpg
(http://realitymod.com/images/L109_finalimage.jpg)
</center>

I wish we could show you more at this point, there is so much going on in the background and dev's are really pushing hard to get things done. See you on the forums!

The Project Reality Team

Hawk_345
2006-09-06, 22:28
Wow they both look great, really was not expecting an update on 0.4 now since the 1.4 patch has come, keep up the good work guys.

2Slick4U
2006-09-06, 22:29
mmmmm....i like explosions......

Awsome job Req and it's great to see you back in the swing of things m8!

Keep on pimpin'!

-Slick

KatanaGFR
2006-09-06, 22:35
Awesome pictures... Do they come in 1280x1024 and bigger also? :P

Hfett
2006-09-06, 22:47
Wich calss will have the IED?

or it will be left on some random places on maps?

Ferocious_Imbecile
2006-09-06, 22:52
I'm impressed with some of those textures on those renders. I'm looking forward to this upgrade of PR.

Dylan
2006-09-06, 22:55
Very great renders. The background finally acheived a realistic feel to it, which is much better than previous renders.

However one thing bugs me. The IED.

Does this signal the phase in which production is starting for insurgents?

duckhunt
2006-09-06, 23:03
Fantastic skins there lads.

and Rekia...lol

who gets the IED?

Szarko
2006-09-06, 23:11
looking great. Keep up the good work. :)

NikovK
2006-09-06, 23:34
Does this signal the phase in which production is starting for insurgents?

Well, we have been talking about changing the SLAM models. Or it could replace C4 for the MEC engineer. Maybe we decided claymores should be U.S.M.C. only? So many options for this little pipe bomb... I guess you'll have to wait and see.

00SoldierofFortune00
2006-09-06, 23:38
I agree about the IED. That seems like it is kind of sterotyping and pushing the MEC as nothing more then radical jihadist instead of a professional military force.

duckhunt
2006-09-06, 23:40
.......But.... it looks........ cool!

PlayPR!
2006-09-07, 00:01
So um does this mean that we'll get Terrorist as well as British soldiers in .4? WOOT! :-D

Dylan
2006-09-07, 00:05
So um does this mean that we'll get Terrorist as well as British soldiers in .4? WOOT! :-D
No. Do not assume anything of the sort with terrorists. To be politically correct, PR is thinking Insurgents. However insurgents are one of the last things on the list of PR to do, because getting those Brits in are priority #1. They are only thinking about doing the insurgents.

Ferocious_Imbecile
2006-09-07, 00:26
NikovK']Well, we have been talking about changing the SLAM models. Or it could replace C4 for the MEC engineer. Maybe we decided claymores should be U.S.M.C. only? So many options for this little pipe bomb... I guess you'll have to wait and see.
Those scuffed blued metal textures worn at the edges...are those taken from files that come with the orignal BF2 for various guns or are they your own creations? If so, did you all make them by hand in Photoshop or some paint program or are they fully photographic? The wear on edges are pretty impressive.

Oh yes, and please do insurgents, and create map/scenarios that involve and reward insurgency type tactics; attacks on motorcades through long winding roadways for example.

Clypp
2006-09-07, 00:44
MEC and PLA should have had Semtex instead of C4 from the beginning. With a phone attached...that's an IED.

Looks like we might get the Brits and an Insurgent faction. I believe Eggman hinted at this before. I might have misread him.

Skinwehr
2006-09-07, 00:55
If any of the Dev's would like me to design improvised weaponry for any "insurgent" force, I'd be happy to help out. The US Gov won't let me build the real things no more, so my former talents are going to waste.

To the person who said that an IED belies a professional military force:

I have seen pages from Al-Quiada's bomb making field manuals. I recognized everything. It was an arab translation of "ST 31-210 Improvised Munitions", a US Army field manual. The CIA, Natick, and the Aberdeen proving grounds developed most of the insurgent's "crude but effective" devices during the cold war.

Improvised warfare is a science and a profession unto itself.

Griffon2-6
2006-09-07, 01:04
Yes, but are IEDs standard issue for the US Army? Marines? Even the PLA has satchel charges. Professional Middle Eastern armies should have C4, as a result of trade with various western countries.

PlayPR!
2006-09-07, 01:18
No. Do not assume anything of the sort with terrorists. To be politically correct, PR is thinking Insurgents. However insurgents are one of the last things on the list of PR to do, because getting those Brits in are priority #1. They are only thinking about doing the insurgents.

Well, if there going to be politically correct for the war thats goin on now in Iraq doesnt that make theat group terrorist because that is what I believe is politically correct for the time being... And yes I sure as hell hope Brits are priority 1

Dylan
2006-09-07, 01:29
Im not one to argue on behalf of real world issues. However I know for a fact PR will not model a "terrorist" faction. An "Insurgent" faction was all that was mentioned.

Arrowhead
2006-09-07, 01:49
why is there a western new york area code on that MEC IED phone? not too realistic if you ask me. :p

duckhunt
2006-09-07, 02:02
omg its the devs phone number everyone call it

1SFG-BigJoe62
2006-09-07, 02:08
All I can say is WOW. Great skins!

JS.Fortnight.A
2006-09-07, 02:11
Some non-specifc, specific answers for some of your questions:

USMC, MEC and PLA will NOT be getting the IED as a weapon; note they are standing armies. Yes although one might argue that IEDs are present in the Middle East, they are a form of weapon to be used in warfare scenarios where the force using them cannot go head to head with a much stronger and often more organized and structured standing military force. And besides, it would just look dumb with a MEC infantry-man holding his mobile out while in full battle-dress....

As to which force will be using the IED in PR, I cannot say as yet, but know that our intention is NOT to make a BF:2 version of Rainbow 6 or CounterStrike. So labeling this mystery force as 'terrorists' is def. not accurate.

duckhunt
2006-09-07, 02:16
woot so you mean the brits are getting it

Ferocious_Imbecile
2006-09-07, 02:56
Someone should get some free publicity for BF2 PRMM by calling up a congressman or two once this is finished and mention this terrible game where you can be a terrorist with IEDs blowing up coalition partners in Afghanistan...It would be priceless when he starts fluffing off indignantly about this evil plot which must be dealt with the utmost severity to the press..

Griffon2-6
2006-09-07, 03:06
duckhunt']woot so you mean the brits are getting it

LOL. Actually, Northern Ireland is getting it lol.

I just had the best idea! How about we use the phone booths that are in game as alternate detonators? You can reprogram them so the person who places it can use it as an emplaced detonator weapon! Works? Also adds to realism. Now for 25 cents... but that's beyond the point. Also, doesn't a channels system have to be worked in, or did the insurgents ask for the same phone numbers as part of a family deal?

Ghostrider
2006-09-07, 03:29
JS.Fortnight.A']As to which force will be using the IED in PR, I cannot say as yet[...]

Of course we can say. We just don't want to :-P

-Ghost

Hfett
2006-09-07, 04:59
teh insurgents are getting the IED of course

requiem
2006-09-07, 05:16
Those scuffed blued metal textures worn at the edges...are those taken from files that come with the orignal BF2 for various guns or are they your own creations? If so, did you all make them by hand in Photoshop or some paint program or are they fully photographic? The wear on edges are pretty impressive.

Oh yes, and please do insurgents, and create map/scenarios that involve and reward insurgency type tactics; attacks on motorcades through long winding roadways for example.

All by hand my friend, everything there :)

00SoldierofFortune00
2006-09-07, 06:01
If any of the Dev's would like me to design improvised weaponry for any "insurgent" force, I'd be happy to help out. The US Gov won't let me build the real things no more, so my former talents are going to waste.

To the person who said that an IED belies a professional military force:

I have seen pages from Al-Quiada's bomb making field manuals. I recognized everything. It was an arab translation of "ST 31-210 Improvised Munitions", a US Army field manual. The CIA, Natick, and the Aberdeen proving grounds developed most of the insurgent's "crude but effective" devices during the cold war.

Improvised warfare is a science and a profession unto itself.

[Griffon=Quote]Yes, but are IEDs standard issue for the US Army? Marines? Even the PLA has satchel charges. Professional Middle Eastern armies should have C4, as a result of trade with various western countries.[/Quote]

Want to know the reason why they are called inprovised? Because they just make them up out of no where since they don't have the bombs or weaponry that a professional and skilled military would have. The MEC are a skilled and professional military.

RTS1
2006-09-07, 07:03
On the subject of IED being inferior weapon of terrorist organisations, I think that it fits just fine to already existing armies' engineers since troops around the world have repeatedly shown creativity in making these kinds of weapons. It is very like that this particular class in PR has broad knowledge in demolitions, obviously, and and basic electrical skills, thus being able to make such devices when supplies of "official" munitions are short. It might also fit into future map scenarios where MEC and PLA are in deep defence and are short on suplies. BTW, hello PRMM community.8)

EPatrick
2006-09-07, 07:17
0.4 is gonna be crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome RTS.

Lock N load

NiGHTWoLF
2006-09-07, 10:03
It might also fit into future map scenarios where MEC and PLA are in deep defence and are short on suplies.

It pays to have a good imagination :-D Welcome to the forums

Great renders btw :thumbsup:

Eglaerinion
2006-09-07, 11:35
Yeah looks very detailed guys nice.

5dollar
2006-09-07, 11:43
Nice skins.

How in fact will it be "improvised"?

Will it be case of collecting a dead engineer & spec ops kit before you can make one? Collect an AT kit to really give it some boom....

Thunder
2006-09-07, 11:58
wow awsome work guys.

i think it be fair to put faith in the DEV's at this point, as we know so little about this IED and whos gonna get it.

Solitas
2006-09-07, 12:36
Interesting stuff, the renders look great.
My only concern is the phone will have an awful ringtone, imagine it, not only do you get blown up, you get blown up to the 'crazy frog' ringtone *shudder* :p

Fullforce
2006-09-07, 14:44
I'm thinking Crazy Frog.

Wolfmaster
2006-09-07, 14:56
why is there a western new york area code on that MEC IED phone? not too realistic if you ask me. :p

Hey, for all you know, we could be adding in New York, too. :lol:

duckhunt
2006-09-07, 15:11
it would be cool if just before the ied you went of the phone rung, so it would be like ring ring.....oh crap........boom

Strutherski
2006-09-07, 16:37
BOOM SHAKALAKA!

Nice works guys. Really excited now.

dab
2006-09-07, 16:41
the call of death. Do you like what I did there

Skinwehr
2006-09-07, 17:26
Want to know the reason why they are called inprovised? Because they just make them up out of no where since they don't have the bombs or weaponry that a professional and skilled military would have. The MEC are a skilled and professional military.

At this point I will draw your attention to the "sticky bombs" made famous in the movie "Saving Private Ryan". This dramatized devices employed at the battle of Caen, in France.

It is, in fact, the professional soldier -not the rank and file recruit- who will be skilled in the art of improvised warfare. The average soldier or marine will know nothing whatever about how to go about dismantling a dud arty shell and making bouncing bettys with it.

Compare the character of a man who makes his rifle from junked Volkswagen axle rod and his engineer kit from agricultural supplies compared to someone who had his issued. Which man exhibits more focus and determination?

Such men would not exist without the backing of a well organized, professional infrastructure.

requiem
2006-09-07, 18:03
Well said.

Thunder
2006-09-07, 18:03
Compare the character of a man who makes his rifle from junked Volkswagen axle rod and his engineer kit from agricultural supplies compared to someone who had his issued. Which man exhibits more focus and determination?

the man who shot him after his volkswagen axel rifle jams.

luizinhuu
2006-09-07, 18:10
stunningly awesome models!!!!!!!!

btw, a slam model doesnt seem hard to model honestly
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/images/slam3.jpg
:mrgreen: are we having 'em?

soraflair
2006-09-07, 20:00
Man that looks great!

eggman
2006-09-07, 20:11
stunningly awesome models!!!!!!!!

btw, a slam model doesnt seem hard to model honestly
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/images/slam3.jpg
:mrgreen: are we having 'em?

already done and in game for v0.4

luizinhuu
2006-09-07, 21:19
omg i love u

huleboeren
2006-09-07, 22:01
What is the difference between SLAMs and C4?

Fullforce
2006-09-07, 22:21
SLAMS are what the Spec Ops Carries while the Engineer carries the C4.

I think. It might be the other way round. In any case, the C4 offers a much more powerful blast (its plastic explosive) while the SLAM is a traditional explosive.

Everything I said is from my own knowledge, so don't believe it all. When someone posts that knows a lot more than me, listen to them :p

EDIT: Yeah, Spec Ops get the SLAMs.

More Info: http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/slam.htm

Skinwehr
2006-09-07, 23:29
Thunder']the man who shot him after his volkswagen axel rifle jams.

If I can figure out how to get a .jpg off of VHS I'll show you just how nice of a firearm can be produced from such things as truck axles using nothing but hand tools. It's an art, really.

Mass-manufactured rifles often include casting marks and tooling marks as quantity replaces quality. These marks can actually increase recoil by causing friction between parts - recoil decreases accuracy.

Most hand made firearms I have seen have national-match tolerance and all of their functional parts are polished like a mirror.

I can make a national match grade M1911A1 from a road plate, if I had to.

duckhunt
2006-09-07, 23:50
right thats very nice but you talk about mass production. So thats 1 axle gun vs 100 guys with m16s.

Also Im not sure if you are or not but I could not bring myself to praise the actions or abilities of any terrorists making improvised devices.

Skinwehr
2006-09-08, 00:12
The founders of the United States of America were "terrorists" who used dirty tricks and improvised warfare to defeat a vastly superior army. Many revolutionary war weapons were homemade.

Then there is the example of the Zulus.

I can go on, but I dont want to be accused of picking on the English.

At no time did I praise the actions of "terrorists". I am not saying we should include a frightened airline passenger class who fight off terrorists with Ipod chords and food service utensils into PRMM.

I am saying that improvised munitions are a fact of warfare and that soldiers thus armed are just as legitimate and professional, if not more so.

What is the difference between an Apache pilot blowing up a squad of the enemy before they even know the helocopter is there and someone remote-detonating a re-worked 155mm shell near a hummer without notice? How is one a "terrorist" and the other not?

It's a useless propaganda term for people who root for their "sides" army like a football fan without ever reflecting of the reality of it all.

duckhunt
2006-09-08, 00:15
hmmm, I disagree, but yea I dont wanna start anything, so il leave it. Anyway is the ied gonna make a ringtone before it blows!? and make slams more powerful!

Skinwehr
2006-09-08, 00:19
HAHA A ringtone... that'd be hilarious.

In any event... The SLAM is a cone charge and thus exerts it's energy mainly in the direction of the concave surface. It should have little splash damage.

The Nextel Pipe bomb, however should have less penetration and much more splash damage as it is a crude bomb.

duckhunt
2006-09-08, 00:22
So if its directional (slam) a single one placed under a hummer/vodnick should blow it right? or atleast set it on fire, because at the moment it doesnt.

Skinwehr
2006-09-08, 00:30
It is capable of piercing 1.5 inches of mild steel... So yeah, a car would stop working if you did that to it.

Likewise, those pipe bombs should be able to obliterate a SUV too.

duckhunt
2006-09-08, 00:32
By pipe bomb do you mean the ied in th picture? Cos I though a pipe bomb was sometime you could chuck like a nade.

Skinwehr
2006-09-08, 00:36
Yeah, the semtex filled metal cylinders are , in essence, just pipe bombs.

That particular design is typical of Irish republicans, BTW.

SCUBAKev
2006-09-08, 16:25
One Word:

AWESOME

5dollar
2006-09-08, 19:05
IED is an anagram of DIE

Michael_Denmark
2006-09-09, 11:45
Fantastic job guys...Oh boy am I looking forward to the Patch. I’ve installed the 1.4 and now have to play vanilla, so I’m missing the PR mod so much now.

Maybe its good that we have to play vanilla again, while we wait for the release of the PR patch, cause it feels like a kind of punishment to play this Rambo Vanilla Lone wolf stuff again. The no coordination kind of game really makes u appreciate the PR mod.

And I'm really having a difficult time playing amour in vanilla. My beloved Zoom option is gone and the damage from my shells on a vehicle, ain't that effective anymore.

Thanks DEV TEAM for a good job.

requiem
2006-09-09, 13:35
Thanks for the kind words guys :)

00SoldierofFortune00
2006-09-09, 14:42
Fantastic job guys...Oh boy am I looking forward to the Patch. I’ve installed the 1.4 and now have to play vanilla, so I’m missing the PR mod so much now.

Maybe its good that we have to play vanilla again, while we wait for the release of the PR patch, cause it feels like a kind of punishment to play this Rambo Vanilla Lone wolf stuff again. The no coordination kind of game really makes u appreciate the PR mod.

And I'm really having a difficult time playing amour in vanilla. My beloved Zoom option is gone and the damage from my shells on a vehicle, ain't that effective anymore.

Thanks DEV TEAM for a good job.

I am having trouble with the prone to crouch crap and all that buggyness with it. If there was a crouch to prone delay, it wouldn't be do bad, but right now people are just proning and still killing and it makes getting up and shooting from behind cover harder.

Hitperson
2006-09-09, 15:15
damn i hate you people i don't like these media updates

why can't you keep a secret from us.

god i remember waiting for .2 and you guys not telling us any thing

Top_Cat_AxJnAt
2006-09-09, 16:28
Times have changed hitperson, we live in a much more liberal society, where keeping secrets is no longer considered acceptable....................but dont worry PR is far from about pleasing the masses or staying inline with other FPS's so i am DAMN SURE the PR DEV's have lots of other .4 secrets up there sleave!!!!!!

duckhunt
2006-09-09, 16:39
yea, pr is the most conservative with realeasing stuff. FH2 for example has media updates every week. Its gonna be awsome in .4 as noone will have a clue about anything and we'll all be n00bs again!

Hitperson
2006-09-09, 16:44
lol.

Wipeout
2006-09-11, 01:08
n00bs ftw

lbgspam
2006-09-12, 15:47
Deleted

PlayPR!
2006-09-18, 20:30
I think that I have a pretty good idea for the IED. If this is going to be the insurgent C4 or SLAM then this idea wouldd't work though... Ok here it goes... you could make it that if you set up an IED it would act like Claymore with the damage of an AT rocket, in other words make it the insurgent claymore, you could set it up on a hiden side of the road and when a US or UK or whatever tank drives by KABOOM! It goes of and the enemy doesn't have any idea of where it came from. I just say this because in an earlier post someone said that the insurgents would have weak guns but an advantage in numbers, so this could be a way for insurgents to be able to take out tanks since they prolly wont have their own tanks.

Top_Cat_AxJnAt
2006-09-18, 21:33
An insurgent side would not take that much work actually, i mean when compared with a full army like the UK.
And if done gradualy, it could not affect the introducaition of the UK army that much.
As modellers become more entusiastic and competant, seeing there work in game (e.g .4), it might even become easier in many ways.

Edub
2006-09-18, 23:57
How will the IED work? Im assuming its going to be Remote, but will it work exactly like C4 where you just throw it out and wait?

Fullforce
2006-09-18, 23:58
I *think* its like a claymore - works on a proximity system. That, or you phone it up and watch it go.

Edub
2006-09-19, 00:04
^good Idea, but will it set off when vehicles drive by as well? the claymores are only set off by infantry

Hellfire
2006-09-19, 06:00
^good Idea, but will it set off when vehicles drive by as well? the claymores are only set off by infantry
Incorrect.
Claymores are set off by enemies, no matter what vehical they are in.

superdj
2006-10-02, 02:08
That grenade looks nice.Too bad I won't get a good chance to see it well cause it'll be blowin up in my face most of the time.

PlayPR!
2006-10-02, 03:54
You may get "lucky" and watch it land in your face and stare at it helplessly as you wait for it to blow up in your face, that happens to me all the time...

opesoulja
2006-10-05, 06:29
The founders of the United States of America were "terrorists" who used dirty tricks and improvised warfare to defeat a vastly superior army. Many revolutionary war weapons were homemade.

Then there is the example of the Zulus.

I can go on, but I dont want to be accused of picking on the English.

At no time did I praise the actions of "terrorists". I am not saying we should include a frightened airline passenger class who fight off terrorists with Ipod chords and food service utensils into PRMM.

I am saying that improvised munitions are a fact of warfare and that soldiers thus armed are just as legitimate and professional, if not more so.

What is the difference between an Apache pilot blowing up a squad of the enemy before they even know the helocopter is there and someone remote-detonating a re-worked 155mm shell near a hummer without notice? How is one a "terrorist" and the other not?

It's a useless propaganda term for people who root for their "sides" army like a football fan without ever reflecting of the reality of it all.

I like this guy more with everyone of his posts i read...i'm with you Skinwehr. I feel that every time we discredit the enemy and his tactics due to our own ideologies and ideals we in turn make them more powerful. we give them the ability to shock and awe us with their ability to horrify the masses. just because they are our enemy does not make them evil and just because we are us does not make us anymore righteous or good. this isn't a black and white issue.

right, wrong, or whatever muslim men, boys, and women are flocking to a war zone to fight against their perceived enemy and give their lives for their ideals and beliefs. they fight with 20 year old weapons and munitions with little to no military training against the most powerful military force in the history the world and they keep coming. they are being slaughtered by the 10's of thousands yet still they fight. For every American soldier that has been killed in Iraq 10 Iraqis have lost their lives. the iraqi death toll is staggering in comparison to the US's.

how hard would you fight an invading force in your own homeland? these people see themselves as muslims first and the fight the wage is for their brothers and sisters. It's a completely different culture that does not mix well with our western mindset. they are not evil for it. they are just different.

Back on topic i think the renders look incredible and if that IED does not have a "miami vice" ring tone i may just mace myself in the face.

xXx-Tricky-xXx
2006-10-11, 02:07
KKK were terrorists

trogdor1289
2006-10-11, 03:28
There is a good quote that works here. "one man's freedom fighter is another's terrorist".

Fullforce
2006-10-11, 15:56
KKK were terrorists

I wouldn't exactly call them terrorists per se. They didn't use bombs... for one. But that doesn't define a terrorist, does it. idk. :p

superdj
2006-10-14, 04:33
Yes they did. As a matter of fact, my grandmother attended one of the churches that was bombed by clansmen in Alabama.