PDA

View Full Version : Canadian LAV-3's

Commando_Jenkins
2011-02-01, 22:33
I searched and found no relevant threads about the physics on the Canadian LAV-3. This is a common issue, and I know it hasn't gone unnoticed.

The Canadian LAV's flip so easily, it feels like they're as light as a feather when trying to drive up hills because it just flips on its back.

Is there any word on this being fixed in future patches?

Acecombatzer0
2011-02-01, 22:41
I flipped once on Archer by hitting a tree branch... so good point. I wonder if anyone else reports similar problems to the Canadian APC.

Stealthgato
2011-02-01, 23:23
Yes, they do flip very easily.

Firepower01
2011-02-01, 23:38
That's kinda odd, I've been told by Canadian soldiers that they have excellent suspension IRL.

dtacs
2011-02-01, 23:47
I remember reading that there have been issues of them tipping on their sides, even one where the driver was killed.

It is much better than the previous patch where it could literally flip in the smallest rise in the land, but still on Archer it is incredibly frustrating losing such a valuable asset due to a random depression which has no logical reason to be there.

Psyrus
2011-02-02, 00:26
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f26-pr-bf2-bugs/80933-0917-lav3-physics-center-gravity.html

:)

Murphy
2011-02-02, 01:04
I'm fairly sure this actually has been brought up, but I do agree that crewing the LAV on Op Archer can be such a horrific experience.

On the other hand Manibou and I have managed to take down many caches once we find a hill that won't flip us. So while I do agree there needs to be a little more tweaking to the vehicle (maybe to the terrain but I'd imagine that's a huge undertaking worth very little), but there has been a notable improvement upon the prior versions.

Hunt3r
2011-02-02, 04:46
Honestly needs to be fixed. The only reason it should stay as it is now is if all vehicles, including tracked ones, will flip just as easily as the LAV3, and if terrain can impose a multiplier that reduces the vehicle's max speed on that surface compared to it's absolute maximum speed.

Just add more weight and power.

Bad&Mad
2011-02-03, 00:14
Agree with the topicstarter.
Found that trouble for myself, when was driving LAVs on Yamalia and Archer.

saXoni
2011-02-03, 00:33
I am very sure they are avare of it, and that they are trying to fix it.

Kain888
2011-02-03, 07:20
http://defensetech.org/2005/11/26/canadian-lav-3-rolls-in-afghanistan/

:P

PLODDITHANLEY
2011-02-03, 07:53
There have been 10 rollover accidents in the six years the vehicle had been in use.

Read more: http://defensetech.org/2005/11/26/canadian-lav-3-rolls-in-afghanistan/#ixzz1CssoEXkx
Defense.org

PR to realistic perhaps?

Bringerof_D
2011-02-03, 08:10
Read more: http://defensetech.org/2005/11/26/canadian-lav-3-rolls-in-afghanistan/#ixzz1CssoEXkx
Defense.org

PR to realistic perhaps?

well compared to PR conditions, the IRL roll overs actually involved a significant tilt. whereas in PR it seems to be the slightest change in angle and it goes over

Hunt3r
2011-02-26, 22:07
That, and in PR the terrain is unrealistically hard to traverse so this is a bad idea anyway.

DankE_SPB
2011-02-26, 22:26
well compared to PR conditions, the IRL roll overs actually involved a significant tilt. whereas in PR it seems to be the slightest change in angle and it goes over
Who need tilt, when you can roll on almost flat terrain
sWEawanKA4Y

:-P

in PR the terrain is unrealistically hard to traverse
If anything, its to easy to go off-road, with decent skills and constant practice you can get almost anywhere on anything, make three rolls over the roof in a row while sliding down the slope and keep driving like nothing had happened if you get on the wheels in the end and so on.

Pronck
2011-02-26, 22:30
Wow, I didn't even knew that the Canadian APCs left their main, the only thing they do is camping in their dome of death. But indeed they're very easy to flip them over.

TheComedian
2011-02-26, 23:39
With enough care you can drive it almost anywhere short of the fortress in Archer.

I have no problem on Yamalia since the terrain is mostly flat.

Kain888
2011-02-27, 09:41
DankE_SPB;1554838']
If anything, its to easy to go off-road, with decent skills and constant practice you can get almost anywhere on anything, make three rolls over the roof in a row while sliding down the slope and keep driving like nothing had happened if you get on the wheels in the end and so on.

So true. That's why Wanda Shan is the most realistic when it comes to terrain. :)

Nebsif
2011-02-27, 13:30
^ From that sauce (http://defensetech.org/2005/11/26/canadian-lav-3-rolls-in-afghanistan/): "rolled over after swerving to avoid a local car that was driving without headlights on the highway between Kabul and Kandahar."
So he managed to loose control and roll over on a ROAD => PR LAV3 physix are realistic :P

So true. That's why Wanda Shan is the most realistic when it comes to terrain. :)

And thats why some people dont like it, cant drive full speed anywhere u want, cant spot enemies in a second and run around recklessly..cant get dropped anywhere u want by a choppa in less than a min..
When talking about arma people are often like "Yeh and u cant spot a guy 1km away as a black pixel, its easy to take cover and hide blabla" but when they get it in PR they rage and go back to Kashan and Muttrah.

SANS_Dusky
2011-04-15, 21:56
^ From that sauce (http://defensetech.org/2005/11/26/canadian-lav-3-rolls-in-afghanistan/): "rolled over after swerving to avoid a local car that was driving without headlights on the highway between Kabul and Kandahar."
So he managed to loose control and roll over on a ROAD => PR LAV3 physix are realistic :P

And thats why some people dont like it, cant drive full speed anywhere u want, cant spot enemies in a second and run around recklessly..cant get dropped anywhere u want by a choppa in less than a min..
When talking about arma people are often like "Yeh and u cant spot a guy 1km away as a black pixel, its easy to take cover and hide blabla" but when they get it in PR they rage and go back to Kashan and Muttrah.
swerving at top speed will flip almost any vehicle.. lav flips going minimum speed up a small hill

-CAL ACO-
2011-04-19, 22:27
i think it might be part dev mistake and part exaggeration of a problem the plagues the LAV-III in real life. the real LAV-III is known for being prone to roll-overs (relative to other similar IFV's) because it's turret raised the center of gravity above the point from the design it was based on. actually a few canadian soldiers have died in LAV 3 roll over accidents in Afghanistan, mainly when the shoulder on the road collapsed beneath the LAV's weight and cause the LAV to flip like a f*-ing ski accident.

Stoickk
2011-04-20, 12:42
mainly when a soldier on the road collapsed beneath the LAV's weight

What was he doing carrying the thing??? :duh:

Sorry, couldn't pass that up. :mrgreen:

-CAL ACO-
2011-04-23, 08:03
What was he doing carrying the thing??? :duh:

Sorry, couldn't pass that up. :mrgreen:

i meant the shoulder of the road smart a$$

Warning issued for insulting/flaming other forum members - Jigsaw

nvram
2011-05-22, 11:34
By the way the Canadian LAV isn?t able to swim but is abel to drive under water??

Hotrod525
2011-05-31, 21:42
By the way the Canadian LAV isn?t able to swim but is abel to drive under water??

huh... No. Both LAV25 Coyote and LAV3 can be amphibious, but C.F. where not interested. Now if by "able to drive underwater" just mean cross about 6 feet of water yeah it can.

nvram
2011-06-02, 07:49
No Not Six feet Few weeks before the Mappack was released i made a Pr version of Midnight sun while using the canadians and the APC is able to Drive unterwater in Water of 30ft deep...
You can try it Out here: File-Upload.net - Midnight_Sun.rar (http://www.file-upload.net/download-3311096/Midnight_Sun.rar.html)

Brainlaag
2011-06-02, 12:25
No Not Six feet Few weeks before the Mappack was released i made a Pr version of Midnight sun while using the canadians and the APC is able to Drive unterwater in Water of 30ft deep...
You can try it Out here: File-Upload.net - Midnight_Sun.rar (http://www.file-upload.net/download-3311096/Midnight_Sun.rar.html)

Duh its a bug, seriously why are you taking that into consideration.

USA-Forever932
2011-06-14, 18:29
Yeah, that's cool about realism but it's also a balance issue. These things need to be fixed. They can hardly go anywhere and are basically a waste of tickets because the options are either drive onto roads which are too easy to block with mines or drive into the mountains and flip. Please give then USMC LAV-25 Physics.

dtacs
2011-06-15, 07:53
What he said. On Archer, they are the ultimate ticket sink, honest to god flipping on small bumps in the road, often never getting into position to support the infantry moving on a cache.

Mastermaul
2011-06-25, 12:16
We flipped one earlier today in a convoy, and tried to push it back over with a different one. Didn't end well.

Gunnerysgt
2011-07-08, 16:12
We flipped one earlier today in a convoy, and tried to push it back over with a different one. Didn't end well.

OMG,

there is a reason that most armies use repair tanks to get their armor out when it ditches. So you trying to ram one APC with a similar one to get it up and wonder that you fail?

:-P