PDA

View Full Version : SPG-9 Technical: Your Thoughts about it.

Pronck
2010-10-28, 05:34
What are your thoughts about the SPG-9 Technical, if you don't know what it is, it is a technical with a mounted RPG on top of it.

I think that the techie isn't overpowered or so, he has a very low amount of ammo and the missiles drop too fast for long range shots. But his sights are terrible too, you can't see shit because they aren't 3d-sights.

What are your thougts about it? Post it here!

Jaymz
2010-10-28, 05:40
I think that the techie isn't overpowered or so, he has a very low amount of ammo and the missiles drop too fast for long range shots.

The projectiles are zeroed to the reticle. So if you can understand the reticle and know the range to target, you'll be very accurate.

But his sights are terrible too, you can't see shit because they aren't 3d-sights.

Press "C" and you'll get an overhead camera :)

Chuc
2010-10-28, 11:26
You might find this useful.

http://imgur.com/Jdp4i.jpg

For people who don't know its the things that say 2,7 and 1,7 on the left and right respectively.

One shows how big a 2.7m tall thing is (about tank size) at 600, 800, 1000 and 1200 m.

The other is the same except for a 1.7m tall thing (about standing person size)

joethepro36
2010-10-28, 11:36
Jesus Christ that is certainly helpful, thanks for that.

My current opinion on the SPG-9 techie is that it's great bar the (now fixed?) difficulty with aiming on targets. Limited to one per map with a decent respawn it acts as a great asset for the Insurgents.

Daishi2442
2010-10-28, 13:21
Chuc;1477710']You might find this useful.

So, wait a second. PR now has the ability to fire at a target that is NOT in the center of the reticle...why don't the other projectile weapons, IE bullets, work according to their scopes?

Rhino
2010-10-28, 13:29
So, wait a second. PR now has the ability to fire at a target that is NOT in the center of the reticle...why don't the other projectile weapons, IE bullets, work according to their scopes?

For a Player Controlled Object (PCO) ie a vehicle, or a stationary weapon the player needs to enter to use it, its possible to set "barrels" to the weapon which many vehicles and stationary weapons have. In fact very few if any PCOs have the projectiles coming out of the centre of the screen on them. Its how the Mortar fires up into the sky when your still looking strait forward and when you drop a bomb or fire a missile off a plane, the missile/bomb comes off the wing and not off the centre of the plane etc etc. The only real difference we did with the SPG-9 was angle the 1p scope down a bit from the barrel so that you could use the reticle realistically.

Having "barrels" on handheld weapons (a weapon that a player can hold in his hands and is in the 1 to 9 keys), adding barrels to them is kinda possible but VERY buggy, which is why we dont do it.

Chuc
2010-10-28, 13:33
That's basically how the small arms ballistics concept works, but implementation is problematic to say the least..

Mongolian_dude
2010-10-28, 13:39
Rhino;1477787']For a Player Controlled Object (PCO) ie a vehicle, or a stationary weapon the player needs to enter to use it, its possible to set "barrels" to the weapon which many vehicles and stationary weapons have. In fact very few if any PCOs have the projectiles coming out of the centre of the screen on them. Its how the Mortar fires up into the sky when your still looking strait forward and when you drop a bomb or fire a missile off a plane, the missile/bomb comes off the wing and not off the centre of the plane etc etc. The only real difference we did with the SPG-9 was angle the 1p scope down a bit from the barrel so that you could use the reticle realistically.

Having "barrels" on handheld weapons (a weapon that a player can hold in his hands and is in the 1 to 9 keys), adding barrels to them is kinda possible but VERY buggy, which is why we dont do it.

So, in theory, can one not cosmetically offset the reticule instead of the projection point?
E.g, having the red dot on a certain weapon lower down?

...mongol...

Rhino
2010-10-28, 13:51
Mongolian_dude;1477795']So, in theory, can one not cosmetically offset the reticule instead of the projection point?
E.g, having the red dot on a certain weapon lower down?

Your bullets will come out of the centre of your screen w/e on a hand weapon (unless you want to add a buggy barrel) and as such, you want the reticle to be zeroed in at the centre of the scope but yes, there is no reason why you can't account for bullet drop or w/e further down the reticle etc, much like the old HUD leaf site we had before v0.9 for the UGLs, although I believe the new UGLs are done with a barrel like PCOs and you would have to ask Chuc/Mosquill why that works but I believe its because they have lined up the 1p and 3p animations etc and made it so it can work without any real issues but not up to date with how they did that one so they might have done it anouther way.

Bluedrake42
2010-10-28, 15:42
They should make it so you have to go into scoped mode, I want to be able to look around normal before I zero in to anything

Mouthpiece
2010-10-28, 17:35
They should make it so you have to go into scoped mode, I want to be able to look around normal before I zero in to anything

You can look around by pressing "C".

Nebsif
2010-10-28, 17:49
SPG techy owns, only thing it seems like HEAT rounds do about same damage to vehicles as FRAG but have almost no splash. Ive had epic infantry kills with frag rounds.. killing a whole squad with 1 round or sniping ppl off 600m away... also killed TWO supply trucks standing 5m away from each other with a frag.. while HEAT doesnt seem to 1 shot a humvee.

chrisweb89
2010-10-28, 19:01
Why are the frag and heat rounds ammo linked?

crazy11
2010-10-28, 22:41
You can look around by pressing "C".

He is talking about starting looking outside the scope when you get in and not having to hit "C" to see outside the scope after you get in.

I think that the techie isn't overpowered or so, he has a very low amount of ammo and the missiles drop too fast for long range shots. But his sights are terrible too, you can't see shit because they aren't 3d-sights.

I can hit a window at 600 m so I don't know what you are talking about not good for long range shots. Just learn how to use the recital, the picture that Chuc posted should help a lot.

Rhino
2010-10-30, 14:51
btw. can you tell us why 1p SPG-9 optical sight, model is so low quality? :-?

In what way? the roundness of the scope? I aint used it ingame yet (I've still yet to install .95 since I'm formatting my PC first) but if its just the roundness your on about that's pretty simple to fix.

WilsonPL
2010-10-31, 09:30
Yup the roundness, everything else looks good, but spg scope compared to ak74 doesnt look good. :)

Jaymz
2010-10-31, 10:23
Why are the frag and heat rounds ammo linked?

They're not.

DankE_SPB
2010-10-31, 10:28
Yup the roundness, everything else looks good, but spg scope compared to ak74 doesnt look good. :)

Unscoped view wasn't intended at the beginning hence the blocky scope.

dtacs
2010-10-31, 10:49
The SPGTechy adds a weird element to the battlefield, something that can kill every vehicle on Fallujah but it has low ammo count and no armor.

Honestly its a bit too conventional for the Insurgents, one of my favorite methods of killing is to have 3 guys in it, and having the rest as dismounts, with the techy providing fire support for the guys on the ground. Its gamey and not really following the intents of the Insurgents, but it works.

Unfortunately, its used too much as a 'ghetto tank', instead of sitting and waiting to kill travelling armor, going around hunting AAVs as they are too easily killable.

Silly_Savage
2010-10-31, 11:25
Jaymz knows what's up. Both shots were > 800m.

cB6740zk_E4

To clarify, that guy sprinting parallel to us was an enemy H-AT kit.

Potilas
2010-11-03, 10:44
Against experienced APC crew the new techie is worthless. RPG and SPG-9 does same damage, but other reload 3x faster and makes less notable from itself. Double SPG-9 heat damage and it will gain respect on battlefield. I dont belive stories about killed squads or armored column by SPG-9.

Murphy
2010-11-03, 23:06
Quite devastating as direct fire support like a mortar you can point directly at targets, but if there is any armor around 90% of the time the techie will split. I agree the SPG-9 dmg could use a little tweaking to instill a little more fear into the armor crew.

Bazul14
2010-11-11, 23:56
Its not really worthless.

It is fast/mobile, so the mortars won't affect it as much as a for a stationary SPG.

It is precise. The round won't go 45 degrees to the left or right depending on how the wind blows the body of the shooter.

It is accurate. The sights and arrows actually work.

It has relatively good damage.

On Lashkar Valley I sat near the curve of the road out of OPFOR main, with the techie. I managed one direct hit on the Puma, which was about 750m away, downhill. The Puma blew up a couple of seconds later.

On Dragon Fly, after the noob tank squad wasted the T62s, I managed to kill the Warriors. How? One HEAT shot on the back of the apc. They blow right away.

Also, the HEAT and Frag have a great difference between them.

for example: HEAT kills a HUMVEE in one shot right away, but if farther than 0.1 m from the enemy inf, it won't do nothing.

with Frag you need two shots on any HUMVEE, but can shoot enemy infantry out of houses and stuff.

The most fun is to have the techie on Gaza or Fools Road. There, the tactics of the both teams make everything uberfun to man a techie.

Example:

Tell me how you can achieve this with any RPG:

http://imgur.com/KvMXh.jpg
http://imgur.com/iGksC.jpg

(all the vehicles there were shot almost BVR,I shot as shadows and tints of brownish yellow, with the exception of the Landie that is to the right.) All those vehicles were manned, not killed while abandoned. That was one of my best PR rounds on INS, my squad got over 6700 points.

Also, what is not seen in that pic are the two UK squads that got wasted while trying to swim across while getting cover fire from the Warriors. It seemed like an infallible plan, didn't it?:P

ytman
2010-11-12, 16:00
The SPG-9 technical is a wonderous beast that really levels the playing field for unconventional forces. The fact that its sight is dead on accurate is too wonderous. I've pulled of a shot on a CROWs on Kokan with only the top gun visible at a range estimated to be 400m (the wonders of an arcing trajectory).

Other times I've had my squad annihilate Warriors left and right with on Fools Road without them knowing about what hit them. Generally one shot would result in disabling the vehicle.

Whenever I get infantry in my sights its an absolute fireworks display.

I love the vehicle and think it works perfectly with the unconventional 'fast, deadly, but vulnerable' playstyle.

Bazul14
2010-11-12, 23:29
Exactly, it is a very potent asset if used properly. If you solo it, or try to use it as a stationary artillery emplacement, then you will fail, because the BLUFOR will always have better stuff, especially at very long ranges. If you maneuver, and make sure that you don't go into enemy territory that is held by enemy infantry, then you will be fine. Also, it is vital that you engage targets that are at least 100m way, otherwise the low reload speed, and the low turning speed, combined with the basically null protection will make you very vulnerable to any kind of enemy.

DeltaFart
2010-12-25, 04:57
I'm glad my brainchild was born, shame it wasn't my work but I give up too easily
The front sight is driving me nuts, it really is buggin me I know it's not really used, but I mean....It just is yeesh, when I was stuck there one time on it waiting for something to happen, I looked the model over and the sight apalled me. And the scope haha

Wish I could use it more often but I'll get back to you on the gameplay aspects when i can, just giving my feedback on model

Pvt.LHeureux
2010-12-25, 06:22
Its awesome to have this in Fallujah, took out a LAV in one HEAT shot. Should be in more maps :)

MisterCole
2010-12-25, 22:29
Chuc;1477710']You might find this useful.

Wow, I actually never figured that out for some reason. Guess you learn something new every day. Thanks! :P

Well, now that I actually know how to fire the thing accurately. I think I really like the SPG-9. Gives the Insurgents some good, long range punch.

Stoickk
2011-02-07, 17:01
I like the asset. I do think that there should be a low power zoom on the optics and definitely an increase in the ammo capacity, perhaps at the expense of additional passenger capacity. Otherwise, excellent addition to the Insurgent arsenal.

Murphy
2011-02-08, 01:39
I like the asset. I do think that there should be a low power zoom on the optics and definitely an increase in the ammo capacity, perhaps at the expense of additional passenger capacity. Otherwise, excellent addition to the Insurgent arsenal.

I disagree with the ammo comment, it forces you to pick your targets and let the little fish swim by. It adds to the overall feel that you're a hard hitting raid vehicle, and this is one of a few vehicles that force you to prioritize targets something I'd like to see more of.

tntkid22
2011-02-08, 04:04
I disagree with the ammo comment, it forces you to pick your targets and let the little fish swim by. It adds to the overall feel that you're a hard hitting raid vehicle, and this is one of a few vehicles that force you to prioritize targets something I'd like to see more of.

I agree. Personally I think its easy and fun to use, as well as effective. Its pretty insane when your driving across Al Basurah and go OMG WARRIORS and hit boost as drive going parallel and the gun cant keep up and stop as the barrel swings around and get a beautiful shot into the rear killing it. (first time using it)

Its a lil-bit "advanced" for the ins but its hella fun and when im in armor i keep and eye out. I love the spg's

echo
2011-02-08, 04:45
I love the SPG-9 techy and the emplacement a little less. But in the right hands, the thing is deadly and fun to use. *__*

samogon100500
2011-03-14, 11:21
HEAT rounds works well,but FRAG rounds must be tweaked.Very much useless,against infantry at long range.
Fragmentation radios looks like a little more that standard infantry FRAG grenade.In ArmA2(ACE) RPG-7 FRAG round much effective thats SPG FRAG round in PR.It's very big diffirence cuz RPG round got only 40mm round,and SPG with 73mm round.

splatters
2011-03-14, 11:45
The SPG-techie is extremely effective against all vehicles and infantry except for MBTs provided that the gunner and driver have proper communication and aren't total f*ck ups. :)

Small, agile and fast with a gun that takes almost anything out with one shot. Only drawback is the slowish reload. My favourite vehicle in all PR!

Edit: How come Karbala doesn't have the SPG techie? (or arty-ied for that matter) In it's current form the insurgents could use a little more punch, especially considering that even a tight 1km map like Fallujah has it.