PDA

View Full Version : Update Project Reality Roadmap Update - August 13th

eggman
2006-08-13, 17:21
Hey Folks,

This Roadmap Update will cover the BF2 1.4 patch, the status on PRMM v0.32 and a quick note on PRMM v0.4.

Battlefield 2 v1.4 Patch
As many of you know the Battlefield 2 v1.4 patch release is coming this Tuesday. With this release EA elected to perform an open beta. As a result mod teams are in much better shape with our readiness for a BF2 patch. Additionally EA has listened to the rantings of mod teams and done a great job to make this BF2 patch a much more mod friendly release. Huge thanks goes out to Colin Clarke (aka [DICE]CKMC) for his efforts to get the voice of mod teams heard within the Electronic Arts offices.

As of right now with BF2 v1.4 Beta 2 we are not aware of any incompatabilities with PRMM v0.31. However, there may be changes betwen the Beta 2 patch and the final patch, so we'll still need to perform some testing to make sure we are compatible with the released patch.

The most attractive things about this new patch are:
- mixed game modes are now possible again - xtract is back!
- a new map "Road to Jalalabad" which looks like a very nice map

We are going to ask a couple of server administrators to upgrade to BF2 v1.4 when it releases. Players are encouraged to upgrade to BF2 1.4 and try out these servers. However there is the chance that there may be a severe incompatability. If you absolutely can't live without your PRMM fix, we'd recommend holding off for a few days until we find out if there are any issues.

We'd also ask PRMM players to use the thread linked below to report any bugs they find:
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/t8901-prmm-v031-amp-bf2-14-bug-reports.html

If all goes well, we should see PRMM v0.31 and BF2 v1.4 be completely compatible and all players should be playing PRMM on the latest version of BF2 by the end of the week. We'll post an update towards the end of the week to let y'all know the status on compatability.

PRMM v0.32 Patch
We're working on an update to PRMM to incude a couple of bug fixes, add some new maps and add support for the BF2 v1.4 patch. There are no new features in this update as we're keeping the bulk of the team focussed on v0.4.

We also need to address any BF2 v1.4 issues and can't start that process until the BF2 patch actually releases and we get a chance to do some testing.

Here is the list of changes in the PRMM v0.32 patch:
- worked around an EA server crash bug that was causing most of the PRMM server crashes
- fixed the supply drop height; supplies should now take about 90 seconds to descend and should land much closer to where you requested them
- fixed the issue where single player was not working properly (flags could not be captured)
- added back in a default map list with mixed game modes

Here is the list of maps in the PRMM v0.32 patch:
- Road to Jalalabad AAS 16, 32, 64
- Mao Valley AAS 16, 32, 64
- EJOD Desert AAS 16, 32, 64
- Goods Station AAS 16
- Songhua Stalemate AAS 16, 32, 64

The v0.32 update will be available in the form of a patch that will require PRMM v0.31 installed. It should weigh in at about 200mb. We expect to have this released publicly within the next 2 weeks.

PRMM v0.40 Status
We released an awfully buggy PRMM v0.401 to test a little while back. Buggy as it was, that release served it's purpose which was to find and identify a bunch of bugs. We've made tremendous progress on bug fixing and are continuing to add in the v0.4 feature set.

We expect to release a v0.402 to test towards the end of this month, shortly after the v0.32 update goes public. Some highlights of stuff that is in v0.402 and working very nicely:
- new Brit soldiers, woodland and desert
- a bunch more British small arms
- Saxon (the Brit equivalent of the Hummer, Nanjing and Vodnik)
- polishing and bugfixing to the kit limiting system
- complete overhaul of the Infantry classes
----- as it stands right now PRMM v0.402 has 13 kit loadouts for each Army
- major progress on SCENARIO and XTRACT game modes
- a bunch of new statics
- major progress on new maps
- work on overhauling sounds has begun
- more progress on the Light AT weapons for all Armies
- a bunch of minor stuff that continues to move the mod towards a more realistic, teamwork oriented but still fun game play dynamic

Closing Words
As always thanks for your continued support and enthusiasm for Project Reality. We hope to get through the BF2 v1.4 and PRMM v0.32 releases as quickly as possible so we can get back to focus on PRMM v0.4, which is shaping up to be a really great release.

Fullforce
2006-08-13, 17:26
First!

Can't wait to see what Jalalabad is like... might be good, what with infantry only and all.

Hitperson
2006-08-13, 17:30
DAMN IT!!

i wanted first

sounds awsome egg.

don't let the bozze slow you down ;)

six7
2006-08-13, 17:33
Looking good egg; I can't wait to get my hands on that new test build :mrgreen:

Dandy
2006-08-13, 17:38
Wow "as it stands right now PRMM v0.402 has 13 kit loadouts for each Army" Now ya talking.

Could you please tell us how this works (and prehaps some screenshots) please....

BlakeJr
2006-08-13, 17:39
Nice update Eggman! :thumbsup:
Looking forward to it with much anticipation! :lol:

Rhino
2006-08-13, 17:39
just to let you guys all know, i did review that x-07 map pack and we picked what we felt was the moust suitable map for PRMM v0.32, which we think is "Goods Station". We still had to do a few tweaks to make it optomised for PRMM :)

eggman
2006-08-13, 17:44
wrt more information about the kits and classes, I expect that with v0.402 we'll get some feedback from testers and incorporate that into v0.403.

Once we release v0.403 the kit loadouts will be pretty much final, as will the mechanism for accessing them. At that point we'll communicate the specifics about the kits and kit system, including screenshots.

So it'll be a bit yet before we are in a position to release that information.

1SFG-BigJoe62
2006-08-13, 17:48
Awesome news Egg. Can't wait to try out the new maps and the new kit system sounds interesting.

Keep up the great work guys and Thanks for all of your hard work!!!!

pvt.Taylor
2006-08-13, 17:54
13 kits?!?

I can only guess a pilot and the light AT class...and that would make 9 so what are the other 4???

six7
2006-08-13, 18:00
13 kits?!?

I can only guess a pilot and the light AT class...and that would make 9 so what are the other 4???
We'll never tell :P

luizinhuu
2006-08-13, 18:01
13 kits wow, that'll be awesome!
Goods Station? nice! let's see if it will do great on pr!
for those who not know the map:
http://www.x-07.de/goods_station.htm

Downtown_two
2006-08-13, 18:51
Thanks for the link Luizinhuu! Everything sounds brilliant, cant wait to get my hands on the new patch.

Keep up the good work, and thanks for the update!

Szarko
2006-08-13, 18:53
Woot, can't wait. Should be fun :)

Malik
2006-08-13, 18:55
Sounds good.

soraflair
2006-08-13, 18:59
Can't wait to try this out!

=|Azeitona|=
2006-08-13, 19:30
Great !!

where can I see more about the new maps ?

JohnnyPissoff
2006-08-13, 19:56
Please....oh please let it be a mortar team. Man i'd love to see that unrealistic artillery go to the devil. Although at least PRMM has made it work on a grunts level, and taken it away from the commander "godkid". Whatever classes and restrictions you guys work out will be most appriciated by us humble dogfaces.

1SFG-BigJoe62
2006-08-13, 20:23
The Goods Station map looks really nice! Can't wait to play it!

Rhino
2006-08-13, 20:28
Great !!

where can I see more about the new maps ?

- Road to Jalalabad AAS 16, 32, 64 - This is a EA map, i aint seen it yet. You can look at it if you download the 1.4 beta, or wait afew days to download the full 1.4 when its released on tuesday.
- Mao Valley AAS 16, 32, 64 - http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5172&hl=Mao+Valley not many screens thou.
- EJOD Desert AAS 16, 32, 64 - http://realitymod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5656&highlight=EJOD Thou many pics done work.
- Goods Station AAS 16 - can see it in a prevoice post...
- Songhua Stalemate AAS 16, 32, 64 - This is a stock map, but the gameplay with it should be much better than it is in vBF2 on this map :)

Lugubrum
2006-08-13, 21:12
Very nice update. I am looking forward to play the new added maps.

Guerra norte
2006-08-13, 21:29
Where is Moskiye????:(

eggman
2006-08-13, 21:39
Where is Moskiye????:(

It's a great map and will be part of PRMM v0.4, we're making a few tweaks and changes to use it for a specific "mission".

1SFG-BigJoe62
2006-08-13, 21:58
Egg, what maps are going to be taken out for either v0.32 or 0.4? Thanks?

Rhino
2006-08-13, 22:53
no maps will be taken out of 0.32

luizinhuu
2006-08-14, 00:14
but on 0.4....

say byebye to xxl_oasis fever

the_godfather
2006-08-14, 00:53
el al xxl has to be taken out. Oasis... perhaps, but junge fever should be kept

Griffon2-6
2006-08-14, 01:00
I think CP Abadan, El Alamein XXL, and Oasis will be taken out in .4. We should make a PRMM version of the SF map SF Oasis for objective mode to make up for the loss of Oasis.

Wipeout
2006-08-14, 01:13
Jungle Fever, and El Alamein XXL need to be taken out. I disagree with Oasis, I think it just needs to have a little bit of modification, but I've had alot of fun on that map as both squad leader and squad member. Something about the open terrain and the only cover being that hill top protecting you, and you just having to watch your flank. That map is all about mobility you can't ever sit in one place for to long otherwise your finished.

I've played XXL I don't know how many times and it always ended up me either flying around with a chopper or jet getting a couple dozen kills and the game over, it's just so boring and you can't really get anywhere.

Hfett
2006-08-14, 03:39
El alamein is very fun for tank battles with teamwork and convoys =)
please dont take it out
I love to take out jets and choopers with tank shells (2 screens from today battle on terra brazilian server)
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5744/cheatsx2.jpg
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9398/allytw7.jpg

if you dont like it just dont put it on your server but leave it on the game for people who do like (we play it alot at our server)

eggman
2006-08-14, 03:45
if we remove any maps, it will be because we are replacing them with a better map offering similar play styles.

Fullforce
2006-08-14, 10:10
One of my greatest games was on El Al XXL, and I think its a great map.

DJJ-Terror
2006-08-14, 10:49
I'll soon post mine SandStorm/Fallujah map to public (need just some tweaking) so if you like ti, you may consider it for PRMM 0.4...

It has specitic gameplay couse its all about BreakThrough and Defence at all cost (once CP is conquered theres no taking it back!) only have trouble with scoreing system. I would like it to add at the end of the round time needed to conquest entire map or (of not conquered) number of captured CP's.

If any of coders know how to manage that i would be very greatfull!

Guerra norte
2006-08-14, 11:16
I'll soon post mine SandStorm/Fallujah map to public (need just some tweaking) so if you like ti, you may consider it for PRMM 0.4...

It has specitic gameplay couse its all about BreakThrough and Defence at all cost (once CP is conquered theres no taking it back!) only have trouble with scoreing system. I would like it to at the end of roun that shoves time needed to conquest entire map or (of not conquered) number of captured CP's.

If any of coders know how to manage that i would be very greatfull!
HEY! DAMN IT IM MAKING A FALLUJAH MAP!!

DJJ-Terror
2006-08-14, 11:45
Rofl man, dunno what to say on that...
How far did you advanced in its development?

DJJ-Terror
2006-08-14, 11:47
...maybe to consider Ramallah? 8)

Guerra norte
2006-08-14, 11:50
Im ca. 40% done i think, but it's a hell of a big city so im not even sure it will be playable. Been thinking about Fallujah as a BF2 map for a year or so now.

Guerra norte
2006-08-14, 11:51
...maybe to consider Ramallah? 8)
That would be impossible cuz my map is mostly shaped by looking at google earth.

Deer
2006-08-14, 22:49
Hmm whats plans with Dusk Storm map ? havent heard any comment from dev team so far about it, nor feedback?

Making a map is like playing stradegy game where you build base or city anyway, just a lil bit more detailed :p had lots of fun making it ^^

duckhunt
2006-08-16, 13:14
I think El Alamein should be kept in, as it doesnt come up in servers often, and it offers a game style different to all other maps.
Fallujah is a pretty big place so im sure we can all make a fallujah map, just call the East, West Sector, etc!
Im really looking forward to new community maps as it seems people like myself are learning the editor and putting their great ideas into prmm.

13 kits, woot.

Rifleman?
Light at
I bet your gonna give the medic only a pistol now aswell :s
PIlot
Tank driver?

Rhino
2006-08-16, 14:54
I think El Alamein should be kept in, as it doesnt come up in servers often,

1 of the reasons why its been taken out as it takes up space in the installer, which makes the mod a much bigger download and its also being replaced with better quility maps.

FuNkyWaVos
2006-08-16, 16:30
13 kits, woot.

Rifleman?
Light at
I bet your gonna give the medic only a pistol now aswell :s
PIlot
Tank driver?

Medic better not have only a pistol i'll be pissed!! but he does need a pistol(45)

Viper3369
2006-08-18, 05:23
Special Ops: Same as now
Rifleman: Same as now
Medic: Same as now
Engineer: Same as now
Support: Same as now
Light Anti-Tank: M16 or AK, Light AT x 3
Heavy Anti-Tank: Same as now

The above are selectable, the below are special limited kits you pick up at certain spawn points.

Designated Marksman/Sniper: Same as now, weapon depends on map.
Pilot: Pistol, Parachute only can fly plane/choppers.
Tank Commander: Pistol, can only drive tanks/APCs.
Tank Gunner: Pistol, can only man gun on tanks/APCs.
Squad Leader: Rifleman, less ammo packs, double smoke, binocs.
Commander/VIP: Pistol, binocs, plus special abilities. No armour, obvious uniform.

eggman
2006-08-18, 05:51
close :p

DJJ-Terror
2006-08-18, 08:38
Im ca. 40% done i think, but it's a hell of a big city so im not even sure it will be playable. Been thinking about Fallujah as a BF2 map for a year or so now.

I would call it sand storm but i just can't get that effect working on mine map... I'w spent last 2 weeks on it and still nothing, so i guess it wont be called sand storm after all.. :(

.:iGi:.U.G.H.
2006-08-22, 13:18
eggman']close :p

I hope he's not right about the bloody support class!!! :evil: I'm so sick of seeing 20 people camping spawns with them.

duckhunt
2006-08-22, 13:25
If you have a tank commander give hi binocs an the ability to use them atop a tank, or make alt fire on the tank mg binocs view instead of zoom, but you cant shoot with binos obviously. If theres a squad leader pickup will only squad leaders be able to pick them up?

Dr_Eyeball
2006-08-30, 10:55
I'm begging you guys, release the 0.32 patch now. We need new maps.

With POE2 having been released and the BF2 1.4 patch indefinitely delayed for release if ever, I'm finding server participation dwindling. Even I'm getting a bit bored with the same old maps.

Stuff waiting for the 1.4 patch. You're going to do more harm by waiting. Please, release it soon.

Top_Cat_AxJnAt
2006-08-30, 12:33
i am dyihn for new maps, the present ones are drving me crzy!!!

Pence
2006-08-30, 14:06
eggman']close :p
I guess it is:

Recon
Rifleman (With Random selected players as Light-AT weapons)
Grenadier
Medic
Engineer
Support Machine-gunner
Anti-Tank
Designated Marksman
Sniper
Aircraft Pilot
Land Vehicle Crewman
Anti-Aircraft

Hmmmm, thats only twelve.

PlayPR!
2006-08-30, 15:06
I guess it is:
Rifleman (With Random selected players as Light-AT weapons)

BF2 has no randomization engine, so I wouldnt think so...

eggman
2006-08-30, 16:01
Yeah I hear ya waiting on the BF2 1.4 patch has uh.. well.... not been according to the schedule we expected. It's expected that PoE would see a lot of people checking it out, but you are right .. we need a PR release soon.

We've made a ton of progress on v0.4 and I'd like to get v0.32 done so we can put that behind us and completely focus on v0.4, including releasing some updates about where we are at. Big pain in the arse for us is releasing v0.32 and then having to release a v0.33 patch because of some odd issue in BF2 1.4. Additionally we want to add AAS support for Road to Jalalabad, so need to wait on the patch release for that.

I completely agree that PRMM v0.31 has gotten *very* old. Between the scope of v0.4 and the effort required there (when we release it you will know what I mean .. there's a lot of changes) and the delays around BF2 1.4, the time between major releases has simply been far too long.

I'm not liking this long delay in between major releases at all. Originally I thought we could get to a 45 day release cycle, like DC eventually got to. Maybe 60 days is more releastic, but certainly we need a shorter release cycle than what we have between v0.3x and v0.4x.

I will say that with v0.4 we've implemented one of the most difficult things we felt a realism mod needed which was the Infantry classes & a reasonable kit limiting system. So with that in place, and a few of the Brit items that don't make v 0.4, I'm hoping we can get to a shorter cycle in between releases.

@ Pence: the closest yet hehe.

Hfett
2006-08-30, 18:48
Spec Ops
Basic Rifleman (assalt with nades instead of GL)
Assalt
Medic
Engineer
Support Machine-gunner
Anti-Tank
Sniper
Aircraft Pilot
Tanker (tank pilot)
Anti-Aircraft
Light AT
Ninja

Top_Cat_AxJnAt
2006-08-30, 19:03
If pence is closest, i am loving you.....please no spec opps - recon with laser deg and no C4 all the way!!!!!!!!!

Pence
2006-08-30, 19:20
If pence is closest, i am loving you.....please no spec opps - recon with laser deg and no C4 all the way!!!!!!!!!
I am a logical guesser then :D.

Althogh i bet Egg can guess better than me *Pethetic attempt to make Egg tell* :-D

eggman
2006-08-30, 19:25
Hfett got the Ninja part right.

Raaschou
2006-08-30, 19:40
I just hope 4.0 will be released before i leave for Afghanistan in 5 weeks... 8)

Else we'll just have to play the old release! :-|
(when not hunting OMF! :twisted: )

Pence
2006-08-31, 00:40
New Guess X_x
1.Recon - C7 or C8
2.Medic - L85A2
3.Engineer - L85A2 modified to Ironsights
4.Aircraft Pilot - L9A1 or L105A1
5.Land Vehicle Crewman - L9A1 or L105A1
6.Rifleman - L85A2
7.Rifleman Light-AT - L85A2 & LAW80
8.Grenadier - L85A2 with L17A1 underslug grenade launcher.
9.Designated Marksman - L86A2 DMR
10.Machine-gunner - L110A1 Light Machine-gun
11.Supporting Machine-gunner - L7 GMPG
12.Anti-Tank - MILAN
13.Anti-Aircraft - Javelin surface-to-air missile
14.Sniper - L96A1 Sniper Rifle

And after 0.4; an Supporting Sniper - L115A1

Dr_Eyeball
2006-08-31, 01:00
eggman']Big pain in the arse for us is releasing v0.32 and then having to release a v0.33 patch because of some odd issue in BF2 1.4. Additionally we want to add AAS support for Road to Jalalabad, so need to wait on the patch release for that.
Hey, no pressure with 0.4 release, that's new development and a major change. It sounds fantastic and great effort there guys.

I'm simply saying we need new maps in the meantime and I've evaluated your prtmp1_1001_setup.exe map pack and am impressed with the quality and quantity available. So I was hoping it's not that hard to release a map pack alone, due to what's available.

Stuff supporting Road to Jalalabad, it's not a very good map anyway - nobody's waiting to play that. Leave it out and just support several new maps all before 0.4. Worry about BF2 1.4 and Jalalabad, if and when it's released.

Keep it simple. The lack of new maps is harmful to our health. :-D

eggman
2006-08-31, 01:31
v close pence.

re: maps, really hoping to knock out v0.32 asap.

Hfett
2006-08-31, 02:44
The more maps the better, we realy dont mind downloading good content

Wipeout
2006-08-31, 02:57
Toss all the vbf2 maps...

PlayPR!
2006-08-31, 03:14
HA! I say screw BF2 1.4 patch its prolly never going to release. If you need to format AAS to Jalalabad can't you just use the Beta 1.4 patch or is that not posible?

fuzzhead
2006-08-31, 06:26
I agree with wipeout, toss most if not ALL of the vanilla bf2 maps, at least once a signifigant amount of custom maps are avaliable.

I only play on the server when its playing custom maps, the vanilla maps are beyond stale now, they are like, molding.

sooo excited for 0.4!!! when it releases, make sure you guys get good coverage at the right places! This is gonna bring in a huge amount of players!

Ive been telling alot of folks in the OFP community about this mod and some of them are starting to try it out!

eggman
2006-08-31, 06:52
Yeah I agree about the vBF2 maps .. some of them are decent maps, but .. omg .. they are old heh.

We really gotta get a v0.32 release out to y'all.

Also .. I gotta say .. it's killing me getting through the back half of v0.4. I really want to get into the final stages and start showing stuff off to y'all, but it's just a wee bit early yet (still a possibility that some major features won't make it, but that should resolve itself within the next couple of weeks).

But it's coming together nicely!

Fullforce
2006-08-31, 09:00
I like some of the vBF2 maps... *tear*

BlakeJr
2006-09-01, 15:30
I strongly urge you to keep the old vanilla maps as they are the only ones that you can play in singleplayer mode... Especially since there appear to be no singleplayer enabled custom maps for PRMM in quite some time....

You can yak all you want that multiplayer is where IT's at but there are still a few of us crappy gamers who needs bots to balance our death/kill ratios... ;)
So, if for no other reason, leave them in for now.... pretty please? :lol:

Black-Hawk
2006-09-01, 15:50
dont kill off Gulf Of Oman whatever happens! its the best vanilla map , for me anyway

Happy
2006-09-01, 16:20
Black-Hawk']dont kill off Gulf Of Oman whatever happens! its the best vanilla map , for me anyway
I love Gulf of Oman. It is the only reason I bought bf2 because it was in the demo and it was the best.

Hitperson
2006-09-01, 16:41
Happy']I love Gulf of Oman. It is the only reason I bought bf2 because it was in the demo and it was the best.

i like Oman as well but GH runs it on 16 player Why fritz why??

BlakeJr
2006-09-01, 17:11
*gurgle.... drool* Oman... The memories of the weird flight tests we did with the LittleBird from the carrier....
I must've rolled overboard at least a dozen times due to the collision mesh bug.
Once in the air it was like it was balancing on a knifes' edge and you had to be really REALLY careful or you'd find yourself looking up at the ground...

Yes, by all means, keep Oman and just to humor me.... Zatar Wetlands is rather nice too ;)

Wolfmaster
2006-09-02, 13:54
I must've rolled overboard at least a dozen times due to the collision mesh bug.

Only a dozen? It killed me more than a dozen times, and I'm a better pilot than you. :lol:

Top_Cat_AxJnAt
2006-09-02, 14:17
and that is why i am not a tester!