PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking Help

Acoustic
2010-08-21, 22:36
Hello all. I am soon to be getting a new 5750 to replace my 4670. While that's all dandy, I think maybe I should look into overclocking my CPU. I will start off by saying I don't have a clue as to how to do anything with overclocking. So please put into terms for a "Overclocking Noob". Here are my system specs...

Asus m3a76-cm Mobo
ATI Radeon 4670(soon to be 5750, wanna play Arma at it's best )
Amd Athlon x4 620 Quad Core processor
Mushkin Enhanced 2gb RAM

Thanks1

boom50cal
2010-08-22, 03:50
Read this thread first: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f355-overclocking-networking/56442-beginners-guide-overclocking.html

Basic things I have taught my friends in basic terms: (I was in your position too earlier this year)
FSB: The thing the the CPU Multiplier multiplys by to get your clock speed. The 620's in 2000MHz

CPU Multiplier: The thing that the FSB is multiplied by to get your clock speed. Yours is 13.

CPU Core Voltage: Also known as vcore, this is how much volts are fed to your CPU, to be very simple. Increasing this will increase your power usage.

This is what explain to my friends the central terms of overclocking when they ask. Now to get onto the process of doing it.

First off, check your temps at idle in the desktop and while load, not overclocked. My 630 shuts off at 63*C, I am thinking the 620 will shutoff at about the same. Check this with a few different tools: speedfan, realtemp, HW Monitor. Average the idle temps to find a near correct idle temp, then average the load temps to find a near correct load temp. Also, have CPUz open to monitor your clock speed while doing this.

Now get on a search engine and download Prime95, MSI Kombustor, and 3dMark06. These can test stability fairly well, Kombustor isn't really neccessary.

After you've did that, restart your PC and enter the bios at the bios splash screen using the appropriate hotkey. You should have a tab in the bios that says "AI Overclock Tuner" or something similar.
Move your selection to "CPU Bus Frenquency" and raise it to 215. Do the math now in your head, 13(Multiplier) X 215(FSB or CPU Bus) = 2795MHz which is close to 2.8GHz. Save the bios and exit.

Now your PC should be trying to reboot. It might take a bit longer than usual, that's okay. If you get to your desktop, open up CPUz and HW Monitor. Then start up prime95. Run the blend test for 30 minutes at first. If you make it through that without thermally shutting down at 63*C or so, do another sessino of it for 1 hour. Then so on up to 12 hours. MONITOR YOUR TEMPS AT ALL TIMES! IF YOU GET THERMAL SHUTDOWNS ALOT THEN INVEST IN AN AIRCOOLER SUCH AS THE Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, available on newegg for under $40.

If you freeze randomly, resart your PC and get in the bios again. Go to the same tab you were in earlier, and go down to "CPU Voltage". Raise that by 0.025 volts. Try booting again and do the steps mentioned above.

This is how I have did my OC, I have had my 630 at 3.01GHz at stock volts, and now I upped it 0.025 volts stable but I get fairly warm, maxing at 59*C on GTA4. But, I'm on stock cooling.

SocketMan
2010-09-04, 18:50
Hello all. I am soon to be getting a new 5750 to replace my 4670. While that's all dandy, I think maybe I should look into overclocking my CPU. I will start off by saying I don't have a clue as to how to do anything with overclocking. So please put into terms for a "Overclocking Noob". Here are my system specs...

Asus m3a76-cm Mobo
ATI Radeon 4670(soon to be 5750, wanna play Arma at it's best )
Amd Athlon x4 620 Quad Core processor
Mushkin Enhanced 2gb RAM

Thanks1

You'll need a 5770 minimum for the high/very settings.
That cpu should OC to around 3.5ghz but will most likely need around 1.5v.
"Sweet spot" is around 3250mhz,assuming the motherboard can run 250 HT
(some call it FSB) up from the default 200.
13 (cpu multiplier) *250=3250mhz
Make sure you reduce your RAM, CPUnb and Hyper-transport values in the BIOS.