PDA

View Full Version : Regarding technicals

RealKail
2010-08-17, 21:42
I did some searching and wasn't able to find a topic pertaining to these issues, but if there is one I apologize.

Issue 1: Technical Armor

The technicals have far too much armor rating on them. I've wasted dozens of rounds with an apache's main cannon trying to kill these things. These vehicles normally wouldn't even take 10 rounds from the main gun on an attack chopper. At the very least the crew of these vehicles should be getting killed with the copious amounts of fire that gets laid into these. Which brings me to the other issue.

Issue 2: Technical Hitboxes (specifically gunner)

The hitboxes for technical gunners are jacked up beyond reason. I've unloaded clips at point blank range, stabbed them, shot them with HEI rounds, and put grenades next to them just to have the gunner sit there shrugging it off while still firing away.

This is a seriously annoying issue because once again, anything short of a serious explosion (C4 or AT kits) fails to yield any results, and one technical gunner produces as much of a problem as an APC would.

Ford_Jam
2010-08-17, 22:10
I've found it odd too but I assumed this kind of thing was intentional, it would be pretty lame as Opfor to die after one APC round or got shot out of the gunners position after one rifle round.
It isn't even that hard to kill a techie anyway.
btw; Shoot the gunners head, and unload on techies with Amour Piercing rounds, not HE.

Vision_16
2010-08-17, 22:45
I also have noticed on techies that if you run into something then you have to click "s" like 5 times before it will back up, as if it was stuck on the wall.

stealth420
2010-08-17, 23:17
TECHS are super over powered.

I made a thread about it a while back called " LB VS TECH" and i discussed the life/hitpoints and the damage done by the mini guns of the LB and the damage done by the tech.

It turns out the Tech has 6X times as much as the LB and it can withstand alot more damage than a humvee can as well.

Now if a tech is stronger than a humvee, why do we have humvees.???

Dev1200
2010-08-17, 23:27
If I recall correctly, the miniguns on the LB (M134 iirc) fires 7.62 rounds (.30 cal for comparison) technicals fire .50 cal, obviously. it makes more sense that the .50 cal does more damage. This is why LB's get hydras, which can kill a technical in 2-3 missiles.

Also, I think AP rounds should do less damage to trucks, cars, etc then HE rounds, since AP rounds would most likely go right through the vehicle, and HE would, obviously, have a bigger explosion.

Tim270
2010-08-17, 23:32
Also take into account that the insurgent is completely exposed while on the gun.

I.e you dont have to destroy the whole vehicle to gain a functionality kill on it.

Jigsaw
2010-08-17, 23:35
These are not bugs, therefore thread moved to vehicle feedback.

Redline.ss
2010-08-18, 00:07
The hitboxes for technical gunners are jacked up beyond reason. I've unloaded clips at point blank range, stabbed them, shot them with HEI rounds, and put grenades next to them just to have the gunner sit there shrugging it off while still firing away.

Ive noticed this too. Ive laid into a stationary techi gunner with a stabilized deployed SAW and it didn't phase him. I think the gun may be acting like a shield and catching all the bullets even though its not even half the size of the gunners silhouette. The same effect seems to happen with deployed MG nests.

edit: Of course thats when they're facing right at you.

whatshisname55
2010-08-18, 01:08
I've unloaded the clip of an M4 straight into the back of a tech gunner at point blank range without it hurting him, then he proceeded to turn around and kill me with his first shot. I have also shot them in their sides while they are aiming at someone else, only for them to turn and shred my body. I do not like these invisible shields, not to mention the amount of AP and HE rounds one tech can take before it gets damaged. I mean, it's just a regular old pickup truck for crying out loud! I understand that these are meant to give insurgents more of a chance of surviving, but to this extent is just ridiculous!

mosinmatt
2010-08-18, 01:20
I have never had a problem taking out a technical. They are at a big disadvantage against a humvee or LB (unless they surprise them)

RealKail
2010-08-18, 23:17
I have never had a problem taking out a technical. They are at a big disadvantage against a humvee or LB (IF they surprise them)

Fixed your post for you. Against a humvee or littlebird these things are waaaaaay too heavily armored (unless you're wasting a TOW missle or Hydra rocket on them)

I've gone toe-to-toe with these thing several times in a humvee and lost due to their unrealistic armor rating, and alot of the times I'm the one laying into them first. I'm not asking they be a one-shot kill or something, but as they are now is fairly ridiculous. If anything, I'd think the bomb cars would be a little more armored than these gun-wagons.

And as I stated before, the most viable solution of taking the gunner down is next to impossible when the hitbox isn't registering or providing some kind of shield. When I can get behind the gunner and unload my mag into the gunner with what should be registered hits and not kill him, that's a genuine problem.

There's no problem in picking off the gunner from other light vehicles such as the humvee. Why in the world is taking out a technical gunner so ungodly hard?

stealth420
2010-08-20, 21:50
Because techs are made of supermans sperm, thats why

Nealoc187
2010-08-20, 22:57
I agree that there is something wrong with the gunner hitbox. I am too new to PR to be well versed in all it's facets, but one particular round I probably took 12-15 shots with a marksman rifle at pretty close range at a technical gunner, not a single one seemed to hit. he just kept on blasting away at whatever he was shooting at. these weren't difficult or distant shots where bullet drop would be an issue. they were fairly close up and no shots did anything to this gunner.

Eddiereyes909
2010-08-20, 22:59
Funny how whenever I gun a technical I get my ass handed to me. Relativity people.

Zegel
2010-08-20, 23:20
Same happens to me. I don't even use technicals offensively anymore because they seem to be death traps, even against blue force infantry. While I agree a fifty caliber bullet should go pretty much straight through the entire length of the technical and destroy the engine, I feel for the sake of balancing things should be unchanged.

ryan d ale
2010-08-21, 02:25
I had a pleasent experience today in a technical.

A humvee surprised me from behind.

He opened up with the 50 cal.

I turned the gun around and not long after it just burst into flames.

It might be well armored and there might be hit box issues but... it's kind of funny. Let the Insurgents have their Abrams :D

a0jer
2010-08-21, 05:08
TECHS are super over powered.

I made a thread about it a while back called " LB VS TECH" and i discussed the life/hitpoints and the damage done by the mini guns of the LB and the damage done by the tech.

It turns out the Tech has 6X times as much as the LB and it can withstand alot more damage than a humvee can as well.

Now if a tech is stronger than a humvee, why do we have humvees.???

humvee has 100 more health than the techie and in real life cars don't explode when you shoot them.

Techie machine gun is larger caliber than LB minigun. LB minigun has a higher rate of fire.

I've never had a problem taking out a techie.

Zemciugas
2010-08-21, 08:41
I agree to most of the ppl here, a techie should be a truck with mg not a ins abrams.

When playing Op Archer, 2 squads were heading to ins base with their mercedes trucks and guess what, 1 techie showed up, utterly destroyed the 1 mercedes in a second, the other truck bailed, its mg was shooting at the techie for about 5 seconds and the techie just fired couple rounds and the truck blew up, killing all the canadians around that were shooting at the techies gunner :/

Or 6 man squad trying to kill a techie in point blank, when we started shooting, we clearly saw bullets hitting the gunner, looked like it has a metal invisible wall, he just turned the gun, killed 4 of us and drived away...

Techie should be easy to kill, especialy the gunner, you can do massive damage to opposing team with a techie if you know how to use it, techie is basicly a moving aa tower that can rape any choppers, inf, trucks, appaches to, offcourse if they dont see you first.

Death_dx
2010-08-21, 09:31
I haven't checked this in the more recent versions but IIRC the technical .50 still had the crouch to take cover button working so you would not take damage despite being completely exposed. Could be I'm thinking of the landrover though.

I do think the techs have a bit too much hp on them. For example I and my SL/SAW-SM in a small al basrah round were moving through the desert and managed to kill the gunner on one that started at us. However despite all three of us firing at it, it manages to run over the SL, then charges the SAW take a long burst head on. Finally it goes after me and I manage to dodge it 3-4 times all the while expending as many rounds as possible on it. I even picked the SAW up and sprayed it. So it managed to drive out of there just lightly smoking despite something like 200 rounds in it.

Rissien
2010-08-21, 15:28
strange, i havnt had any problems with shooting the gunner out of a techie.

Ford_Jam
2010-08-22, 21:54
http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2008/08/05/jackie-chan.jpg

Do Dev's have to take in complete exagguration and blatant lies when it comes to suggestions like these?
Seriously, some of you have to be making this stuff up :-|

I've shot about 30-50 rounds from apache cannon near and on top of techie, and it kept driving.
And as I stated before, the most viable solution of taking the gunner down is next to impossible when the hitbox isn't registering or providing some kind of shield.
a techie should be a truck with mg not a ins abrams.
Or 6 man squad trying to kill a techie in point blank, when we started shooting, we clearly saw bullets hitting the gunner, looked like it has a metal invisible wall,
Ive laid into a stationary techi gunner with a stabilized deployed SAW and it didn't phase him.
And my personal favourite:
I've unloaded the clip of an M4 straight into the back of a tech gunner at point blank range without it hurting him,

There is nothing wrong with the technicals, but there is seriously something wrong with how you guys are playing Project Reality.

Amir
2010-08-22, 22:53
Yep @ the guy above me. Also happens when you shoot humvee with a Havoc cannon.

dtacs
2010-08-23, 01:39
H[=Rissien;1421163']strange, i havnt had any problems with shooting the gunner out of a techie.
Same, I've honestly found no problem with them at all.

Its funny that 3 of them can take out a Stryker though.

amazing_retard
2010-08-27, 02:51
Sounds like you guys are all having serious BF2 registration problems.

badmojo420
2010-08-27, 03:23
When playing Op Archer, 2 squads were heading to ins base with their mercedes trucks and guess what, 1 techie showed up, utterly destroyed the 1 mercedes in a second, the other truck bailed, its mg was shooting at the techie for about 5 seconds and the techie just fired couple rounds and the truck blew up, killing all the canadians around that were shooting at the techies gunner :/

Technical has a 12.7mm, 50 cal machine gun in the back, plus a 7.62mm machine gun in the passenger seat.

Mercedes has one 5.56mm m249. And about as much armor as a technical. And the gun overheats quickly for some strange reason.

I wouldn't go toe to toe with a Technical in a G-Wagon. It's suicide. 2 of them just means more kills for the Techy gunner.

I don't see much wrong with the Technical, other than maybe the hitbox being screwy. They're just really powerful weapons strapped to a old pickup truck. I do think their numbers could be reduced on a few maps. A purpose built killing machine like that would be a hard thing to hide in a real life insurgency. Reducing the number of technicals while adding more unarmed transport would be a nice change.

Snazz
2010-08-27, 05:00
I'm often unable to kill techie gunners with rifles or machine guns. Shooting the driver always works though.

I seriously doubt it's just a ping/rego issue.

Wakain
2010-08-27, 14:48
technicals can be a pain, however they have to stay on the move, reducing their accuracy, because they tend to be vulnerable to grenades and in some degree to small arms fire. the gunner's hitbox is a little weird, it's difficult to kill that guy but wounding him is most of the time good enough. I'd suggest you play operation archer in coop in standard layout as canadians. start at VCP and defend. normally there comes an armada of technicals from all directions, after one such game you know how to counter it effectively.

Arnoldio
2010-08-27, 15:37
Gunner hitbox is fked up yeah :/

They have a lot of armour though, thats what bothers me :S

illidur
2010-08-29, 21:40
i kind of dont want to say this because i like raping as insurgent.... but technicals are definitly OP and need to be nerfed. i dont care if its got a .50 against a lb's 2 7.62s. its still just a truck. wouldn't 2 7.62 mini guns rip an average truck to shreds in half the time it takes to kill it ingame? how would a direct hydra hit to a truck not blow it to pieces? im all cool with making the lb weak and realistic, but why not its competition too? this is gameplay + realism suggestion. i know that the techi takes damage from terrain, but thats the driver's fault. they shouldn't be flying over cliffs anyways. its supposed to be an ambush vehicle.