PDA

View Full Version : Update PR:ARMA 2 - Highlights Reel #2 (Part 1)

UK_Force
2010-08-13, 06:26
Welcome to the first of what will be a number of PR:ArmA2 Highlight Reels over the next week or so.

http://media.realitymod.com/headers/prarma2_highlights_reel.png

Apologies for keeping the community waiting a long time for this second installment. Things have been pretty hectic with the team, as you will see. As a thank you for your patience, we will be releasing a bumper number of Highlight Reels over the next 7-10 days, to show you all that the team is still beavering away at PR:ArmA2.

Since our last update, the team have been concentrating and testing on our main focus - its dynamic gameplay for PvP. During this time we have lost a few members of our team due to personal reasons, and we all wish them luck in the future. The PR door is always open to them, as they know. We have had to shuffle around some of our work load, and some of our intial concepts are currently on hold for future releases.

- Important Engine news

With the recent release of Operation Arrowhead and its good reviews, we have now had the chance as a team to evaluate it. We have come to the conclusion during the evaluation that this is the preferred engine and environment to be used. As such, we wish to officially announce that PR:ArmA2 will require Combined Operations in the future.

Combined Operations means: Both ArmA2 & OA as 'separate' installs or Combined Operations bought as one package.

- Current Ongoing Work

As we initially mentioned, our main focus is on gameplay with a minimal British Faction. The reason for this being we need to take everything one step at a time, to ensure our gameplay is sound. This element alone is what PR is best known for. Testing so far has proven a lot of concepts, and we now have testers reporting back that it now "feels like PR", which is exactly what we are aiming for. Although not 100% complete, and some still only concepts here are our possible current game modes:

- AAS
- Attack & Defend - (one directional AAS/front-line flow)
- Command & Control
- Skirmish
- Insurgency

We'll be showcasing more in the future about gameplay with a dedicated Highlights Reel concentrating on this one subject at a later date, this will answer all your gameplay questions we hope. A selection of screenshots are shown below of our most recent work with the OA engine.

http://media.realitymod.com/news/arma/prarma_03/thumbs/cas_run_thumb.jpg (http://media.realitymod.com/news/arma/prarma_03/cas_run.jpg) http://media.realitymod.com/news/arma/prarma_03/thumbs/hill_dropoff_thumb.jpg (http://media.realitymod.com/news/arma/prarma_03/hill_dropoff.jpg) http://media.realitymod.com/news/arma/prarma_03/thumbs/moving_under_fire_thumb.jpg (http://media.realitymod.com/news/arma/prarma_03/moving_under_fire.jpg)
http://media.realitymod.com/news/arma/prarma_03/thumbs/pushing_forward_thumb.jpg (http://media.realitymod.com/news/arma/prarma_03/pushing_forward.jpg) http://media.realitymod.com/news/arma/prarma_03/thumbs/underslung_load_thumb.jpg (http://media.realitymod.com/news/arma/prarma_03/underslung_load.jpg) http://media.realitymod.com/news/arma/prarma_03/thumbs/village_patrol_thumb.jpg (http://media.realitymod.com/news/arma/prarma_03/village_patrol.jpg)

- Become a PR Developer or Contributor

The Project Reality Team are still actively recruiting talent! If you would like to be a part of an established development team, with some experienced developers and many more contributors, or you have a skillset within ArmA2 and would like to help out, please don't hesitate to contact any of the team, or email [R-DEV]UK_Force (ukforce@realitymod.com). Whatever your skill, let us know. We are always recruiting.

That's it for now, but we'll be showcasing some more exciting assets and gameplay elements in a few days. Watch this space!

- The Project Reality Team

TheAssProtectors.Nr1
2010-08-13, 07:11
Darn. I wish my PC could handle this game. Looks great! Good job!

Excavus
2010-08-13, 07:16
I like how unexciting those screenshots look. I guess I'm going to have to skip on PR:Arma2 now because I won't buy Operation Arrowhead.

Spartan0189
2010-08-13, 07:23
Hot.

/me tries to invest money for ArmA2, OA, and a new computer

gazzthompson
2010-08-13, 07:29
I like how unexciting those screenshots look. I guess I'm going to have to skip on PR:Arma2 now because I won't buy Operation Arrowhead.

lulwut? your loss.

Jeepo
2010-08-13, 07:36
+1 to the ArmA2PR DEV's!

Draakon
2010-08-13, 07:46
Erm, why Compined Operations? Why not just OA? Or is there something interesting in original Arma 2 that this mod requires?

dtacs
2010-08-13, 07:48
Same, just not worth my money when theres other things I'd rather buy.

Makikou
2010-08-13, 08:55
Gief meeeeeeee now! I want to play :3

UKrealplayER666
2010-08-13, 09:13
Operation Arrowhead is 10x better then ArmA2, and the reason your gonna need Combined arms... well considering ArmA 2 has Russian units... think about it. Its well worth the money, its like a whole new game, and when you combine them both its just mind blowing the amount of content you get.

kju
2010-08-13, 09:34
OA = 30€; CO = 40€ at Sprocket.
You can either one way more cheap elsewhere.

Good looking update!

psychickactivity
2010-08-13, 09:34
Good .... very good .Wait this..

HardcoreCook
2010-08-13, 09:46
WOW THANKS DEVS!!! :D
Finally an update.
And DAEM SON, it looks good!

Heskey
2010-08-13, 10:10
Looking great guys can't wait to see the first public version for play.

Rezza
2010-08-13, 10:20
Looking forward to Part 2 next Friday!

Erm, why Compined Operations? Why not just OA? Or is there something interesting in original Arma 2 that this mod requires?

When was the first ArmA 2 : PR trailer released was there Arrowhead back then what do you think they build the mod on before Operation Arrowhead?

dunadan
2010-08-13, 10:31
Looks great, would have been better to base the mod on OA "which has greater quality stuff and more Afghanistant related content" only though. Now not only those who bought A2 prematurely for PR will be mad but also those who bought none. :oops:

Feels good to have both already, can't wait !! :razz:

Makikou
2010-08-13, 10:33
Why they should be mad since it requires both Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead?

dunadan
2010-08-13, 10:36
Because Combined Operations is a 24 pack of beer more expensive than OA alone. :40_swig:

Makikou
2010-08-13, 10:43
Because Combined Operations is a 24 pack of beer more expensive than OA alone. :40_swig:

Sell the Arma 2 and get beer AND Combined Ops? :P

Welshboy
2010-08-13, 10:44
Remember that Arma 2 comes with 2 other maps that PRA2 can use as well along with the loads of other models/units.

cocobutter333
2010-08-13, 10:52
keep em coming DEV's cant wait looks like its all coming together now:-P

Snazz
2010-08-13, 11:47
I already own Arma II and want to buy OA as well (after I upgrade PC), so that works out for me. It makes sense for PR to utilize the content.

HunterMed
2010-08-13, 12:04
I want A&D for PR too!

I'd really like to play pr arma 2 but my PC can't handle it :(

TomKilla
2010-08-13, 12:22
yea really glad to read news about pr:arma2 :-P

Dredge
2010-08-13, 12:51
I want A&D for PR too!

I'd really like to play pr arma 2 but my PC can't handle it :(

You would be suprised :)

I run ArmA 2 with ACE and some other stuff that we use over at TG and I have to turn the settings way down. I load up PR for our beta tests, and I can crank everything up to stupid hi levels. ArmA 2 doesn't really require that much to be able to run well.

lucidrians
2010-08-13, 13:00
Combined Arms is like £30 on steam, not very much.

BabylonCome
2010-08-13, 13:03
£22 on Amazon for both games together....... cheaper than just OA on steam.....

Using both games means you get twice the maps, twice the assets and twice the fun.... SIMPLES

Pill Monster
2010-08-13, 13:58
Any word on map sizes? (sorry if it's been covered already...)

Technoelite
2010-08-13, 13:59
looks rubbish as the normal PR standard:wink:

keep it coming lads:mrgreen:

Pill Monster
2010-08-13, 14:00
And wat sort of draw distance....?

Nice shots btw :)

Bonsai
2010-08-13, 14:46
looks rubbish as the normal PR standard:wink:

keep it coming lads:mrgreen:

...this! :shock:

Dredge
2010-08-13, 14:47
Any word on map sizes? (sorry if it's been covered already...)

Ginormous :) Lol, but seriously....pretty big

And wat sort of draw distance....?

Whatever you set it at. I usually keep mine at 10k meters.

Protector
2010-08-13, 14:50

Well then bump your post count else where... If you won't buy AO we don't actually care... we are all here to enjoy the highlights and talk about how good PR arma looks.

spawncaptain
2010-08-13, 15:08
The main benefit of Combined Operations: You get decent woodland USMC units with all the associated assets, no need to model them first. I guess PR:ArmA2, like its older brother, will not only feature desert combat against unconventional enemies. Having tons of good looking, working models already ingame lets our beloved Devs go directly to the gameplay modding phase.

Oddsodz
2010-08-13, 15:11
<<<< Shakes like he has a fever and mumbles to himself in the corner hoping for a GR9 soon

The_MDexs
2010-08-13, 15:22
wow looking good

bloodthirsty_viking
2010-08-13, 16:20
you can get both arma 2 and OA from steam for 50 bucks.

Thats what i did yesterday XD

Peeta
2010-08-13, 16:43
I think I'll just wait another 6 months for BIS to release another expansion pack that PR will develop on, so I don't waste my money that I don't have on OA. :/

Extremely disappointed about the move to OA.

Altho the screenshots look awesome.

Zulnex
2010-08-13, 16:52
Looking awesome.8-) Fantastic work.

Duckmeister
2010-08-13, 17:01
So, what's the Project Reality team going to do about the recently announced British Forces $10 DLC coming out at the end of this month? Using it? Not, and going with your own models of the same items? Asking BIS to stop splitting the community with every new piece of content?

And what happened to that desert map you guys were using before OA? That would've been great!

Johncro
2010-08-13, 17:10
Looks great.
I can run Arma 2 on low graphics, I don't think I can run PR:Arma2 at all :( I serious doubt that I could run OA either. But hey there is always a good chance I'll be getting a new desktop next year for graduation, and it will be a mega computer ;)
So don't worry Arma2:PR I will play you! ;)

Veterans-Gaming
2010-08-13, 18:40
This looks awesome, great work for sure.

Thanks.

Blud

K4on
2010-08-13, 19:20
i really hope pr arma will be more than "just another arma2 mod"

UK_Force
2010-08-13, 19:57
So, what's the Project Reality team going to do about the recently announced British Forces $10 DLC coming out at the end of this month? Using it? Not, and going with your own models of the same items? Asking BIS to stop splitting the community with every new piece of content?

And what happened to that desert map you guys were using before OA? That would've been great!

Remember we have 3 more News posts to go ;)

Excavus
2010-08-13, 22:55
Well then bump your post count else where... If you won't buy AO we don't actually care... we are all here to enjoy the highlights and talk about how good PR arma looks.

You should care, because you're losing players that way.

It's not that I don't WANT to buy AO, I just don't have the money.

FuzzySquirrel
2010-08-13, 23:06
You should care, because you're losing players that way.

It's not that I don't WANT to buy AO, I just don't have the money.

There is actually far more players on OA then Reg ArmA 2 so they aren't losing much.

Urbanxfx
2010-08-14, 01:11
Kinda gay that it requires original Arma 2, Seriously I bought OA for PR and now i have to puurchase again?! Thats BS man.

Duckmeister
2010-08-14, 01:49
Kinda gay that it requires original Arma 2, Seriously I bought OA for PR and now i have to puurchase again?! Thats BS man.

Why on earth would you NOT buy Combined Operations? It's only $10 more to get both, now you have to spend another $50.

USMC sniper
2010-08-14, 03:27
At first I was like YEEEES! 0.92! But then I read it.Great work anyway ;) looks awesome.

zulu2203
2010-08-14, 03:43
This update made me happy. :D

theflidgeface
2010-08-14, 04:08
haha im glad i have both although i did buy em separately :( lol

Urbanxfx
2010-08-14, 04:39
Why on earth would you NOT buy Combined Operations? It's only $10 more to get both, now you have to spend another $50.

I tried to buy Combined Operation with my $50 prepaid card but the final price+GST was like 53$ and the card on had $50 so i had to buy OA only.

TomDackery
2010-08-14, 05:04
I tried to buy Combined Operation with my $50 prepaid card but the final price+GST was like 53$ and the card on had $50 so i had to buy OA only.

Are you saying you couldn't simply go and pay the extra three dollars?
You know they have Combined Operations in stores...

Urbanxfx
2010-08-14, 05:52
I had a prepaid mastercard with a maximum price of $50 so i couldn't pay that, i bought from steam.

R0DeX
2010-08-14, 06:42
Amazing stuff. i will play it mostly for sure.

Snazz
2010-08-14, 06:58
Not using both would be a waste, for PR and for people who bought 'the wrong one'.

I think I'll just wait another 6 months for BIS to release another expansion pack that PR will develop on, so I don't waste my money that I don't have on OA. :/
PR would probably still be using Combined Arms even if they adopted a 2nd expansion pack.

Extremely disappointed about the move to OA.
How can you be disappointed about a ton of additional content as well as engine improvements?

MadTommy
2010-08-14, 07:54

Unfortunately you only have yourself to blame... no one has ever said that Arma2 was not required.. how you came to that conclusion is beyond me. I'd have thought its requirement was obvious.

The requirement of OA was the only issue that needed resolving. PR using it is a great move.. i personally didn't want to buy any addons for Amra2.. but AO is a great improvement, no regrets.

mangeface
2010-08-14, 07:59
Great, now I have to buy OA. Should be worth it though, as I would hate to miss out on doing this
http://media.realitymod.com//news/arma/prarma_03/hill_dropoff.jpg

Clifftop insertion=Awesomeness.

Booyak
2010-08-14, 09:00
looking good, hope this will make arma a good pvp game...

UK_Force
2010-08-14, 09:35
I feel I need to make things a little clear here, as it seems a few of the community are not happy with our decision.

Not that we have to explain our reasons, however I do think the community should get a response.

We announced we would be initially working on ArmA2 some time ago to inform the community.

Some 4 months or so later we have now announced we will be taking advantage of OA too.

As a Mod team we would be stupid not to make that call, the extra content, is like adding a whole new game, not to mention the performance improvement, the whole ArmA2 community are using it, the desert add ons, etc etc.

OA alone would be a bad move, as it more than halves the content available to us.

We have worked on ArmA2 for some time and currently have certain missions running on ArmA2 still, which will be used.

However for people to go out and buy OA without ArmA2 :shock: - is not our fault, we clearly stated ArmA2 a while ago, and have since added OA to it, not the other way around !!

ArmA2 alone provides us with:

# United States Marine Corps
# Armed forces of the Russian Federation
# Chernarussian Defence Forces "CDF"
# Chernarussian Movement of the Red Star "ChDKZ"
# National Party "NAPA"
# Citizens of Chernarus

OA addition now gives us the following to add to that list:

* United States Army
* Takistani Army
* NATO and UNO
* Takistani Locals

I suggest if you are concerned you should look here for 5 mins, and see why we made that call:

ArmA2 Full feature list (2263 add ons)

ArmAII/ArmAII:OA library of available equipment and objects - Hosted by Armaholic.com (http://www.armatechsquad.com/ArmA2Class/indexA2.php)

Operation Arrowhead Full Feature List (732 add ons)

ArmAII/ArmAII:OA library of available equipment and objects - Hosted by Armaholic.com (http://www.armatechsquad.com/ArmA2Class/indexOA.php)

Why would anyone get rid of ArmA2, especially a Mod Team :shock:

UKF

Nebsif
2010-08-14, 10:31
I just tried OA demo.. And I thought PR bots are dumb.. it also feels like I have to fight the controls along with the dumb AI.

=]H[= JakCurse
2010-08-14, 12:34
It takes some getting used to, I mean a few months back when PR Arma was first announced, I bought arma2. Absolutely hated it at first, but the longer I've played it, the better and more immersive it's become. Give it some time, Nebsif :P

UK_Force
2010-08-14, 13:52
I just tried OA demo.. And I thought PR bots are dumb.. it also feels like I have to fight the controls along with the dumb AI.

Good job we are PvP and not using AI then eh ? ;)

Nebsif
2010-08-14, 14:16
H[= JakCurse;1414493']It takes some getting used to, I mean a few months back when PR Arma was first announced, I bought arma2. Absolutely hated it at first, but the longer I've played it, the better and more immersive it's become. Give it some time, Nebsif :P

IDK.. 1st thing I thought when I played PR was "OMG those weapon models, sounds and reload animations are so great" And later on when I saw Ramiel and Muttrah I was like "Those maps are so big and feel so real".
But when I installed ARMA2 its like.. "I can barely see the weapon, there's no real reload animation, vBF2 sounds are better and it takes 5 sec for the bot to turn around when I shoot him from the side/back" The only thing I liked is that the buildings are destructible..
Like.. how can they demand money for this game?!

wolfstriked
2010-08-14, 15:02
GReat,thanks for the update! Any chance of some quick vid of gameplay?

EvilWaffles
2010-08-14, 15:20
Awesome work! Glad I received Arma2 as a gift, and only had to buy OA. This will work out nicely. The extra money is WELL worth it for the content received, and the increased capabilities of the DEV's. Not to mention that I bet they can concentrate on other things than models and units, with many pre-done.
That said, I hope they decided not to utilize the British addon, and keep with their own models for that, because I'm sure the PR version will be infinately better.

Schancky
2010-08-14, 15:36
That said, I hope they decided not to utilize the British addon, and keep with their own models for that, because I'm sure the PR version will be infinately better.

We're not going to be using the BAF DLC from BIS. Don't worry ;-)

Booyak
2010-08-14, 16:44
GReat,thanks for the update! Any chance of some quick vid of gameplay?

yes please

UK_Force
2010-08-14, 18:20
We are indeed working on Video now for next month ;-)

SGT.Ice
2010-08-14, 19:50
IDK.. 1st thing I thought when I played PR was "OMG those weapon models, sounds and reload animations are so great" And later on when I saw Ramiel and Muttrah I was like "Those maps are so big and feel so real".
But when I installed ARMA2 its like.. "I can barely see the weapon, there's no real reload animation, vBF2 sounds are better and it takes 5 sec for the bot to turn around when I shoot him from the side/back" The only thing I liked is that the buildings are destructible..
Like.. how can they demand money for this game?!

Because they just want money and are too lazy to do animations since it's just supposed to be a base for mod communities

Nebsif
2010-08-14, 20:53
Because they just want money and are too lazy to do animations since it's just supposed to be a base for mod communities

"gents, we fail, lets just sell an editor with a bunch of assets (models)" - That kinda thing?

wolfstriked
2010-08-14, 21:03
In a way making a game that needs massive amounts of modding guarantees longevity.Probably a marketing strategy on their part.I say that since there is no way a developer would release a game with sounds like in OA when any sound mod blows it away.

Konfusion2113
2010-08-14, 22:01
woot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Urbanxfx
2010-08-15, 06:59
The PR is team is making the British Forces right? So is the default OA US Army be in the game? Like a map where there is BAF vs Taliban and US Army vs Taliban? Or is it all going to be British?

Booyak
2010-08-15, 08:47
The PR is team is making the British Forces right? So is the default OA US Army be in the game? Like a map where there is BAF vs Taliban and US Army vs Taliban? Or is it all going to be British?

In the trailer on youtube they say two factions, british army and taliban.

Urbanxfx
2010-08-15, 08:49
In the trailer on youtube they say two factions, british army and taliban.

Maybe those forces are addons, the takistani militia are already the taliban in the game, so why make more?

R0DeX
2010-08-15, 09:14
Maybe those forces are addons, the takistani militia are already the taliban in the game, so why make more?

Lets say the do better job :)

TomDackery
2010-08-15, 11:40
Will we still see the Afghanistan map in the PR mod? If yes, I would like to make babies with you, if no... I may cry.

UK_Force
2010-08-15, 11:53
To summarise and asnswer a few questions:

Yes the Afghanistan Map will be in the Mod, maybe not on the initial release, but we have another map now too in the works ;-)

So 2 Maps/Islands, one we hope to release for v0.1

We will not be using the Brit DLC, we will be using PR's own British Faction, which is alreadY a lot more comprehensive than the Brit DLC.

The Taliban we previewed on Highlights Reel #1, have since been removed, as the OA versions seem to do the Job, and are pretty good for now. We do however have someone working on a new version, and also someone working on the ANA for us.

The default US Army, USMC, Russians etc will all still feature as required in PR: ArmA2.

Finally please remember we are creating a PvP Mod (Ie Multiplay - Player versus Player), so do not relate "dumb AI", performance problems etc, when playing in Campaigns / Singleplayer ....... there is a huge difference.

UKF

chehotela
2010-08-15, 12:29
Here, I totally agree 8) "dumb AI"

Technoelite
2010-08-15, 19:23
erm u can change the ai settings when u make your own missons and stop going on about it. PR will be PvP so shut up for the last time( i appologise in advance for that outburts)

TomDackery
2010-08-15, 19:54
UK, my inverted uterus is yours to command.

rushn
2010-08-16, 02:58
great now i have to buy Arma 2 :( instead of sticking with OA

Urbanxfx
2010-08-16, 03:59
great now i have to buy Arma 2 :( instead of sticking with OA

Ditto my friend, guess i have to start working late :(

Nebsif
2010-08-16, 04:12
I'll wait for PR:ARMA v0.3+ or something.. when there will be much difference (I hope) between the original monster fail "game" and PR mod for it. I Just hate paying lazy noobs like BIS basicly for the editor knowing I wont ever play OA itself, not to mention ARMA2.
There are no shells flyin of a 50cal when I fire it, cmon, how fail can they be. Imagine if all companies released their games like that, 30% done, expecting the community to work for free on finishing the game for them.