PDA

View Full Version : Chinook toughness

hx.bjoffe
2010-02-26, 09:51
Is it just me, or does the chinooks take an unusual amount of damage?
Twice the other day chinooks landed right infront of my BRDM, and both flew away with about 1.5 clips of 14.5 inside the cockpit, hardly smoking.
Also they're hard to lock with AA, but that's already known.

I never fly, so i'd like to hear from a pilot's view as well.

space
2010-02-26, 10:14
Yeah they do take quite alot of damage, especially compared to the other helis. I was playing around on an empty server the other day with a cannon littlebird, and the chinooks took loads of hits to kill.

Hotrod525
2010-02-26, 10:14
Is it just me, or does the chinooks take an unusual amount of damage?
Twice the other day chinooks landed right infront of my BRDM, and both flew away with about 1.5 clips of 14.5 inside the cockpit, hardly smoking.
Also they're hard to lock with AA, but that's already known.

I never fly, so i'd like to hear from a pilot's view as well.

If the damage in-game is based on real life capabilities... Chinook is extremely strong.

andylamb
2010-02-26, 10:22
I was flying the chinook on archer the other day dropping some squad off on a hil, a sniper picked me off in the cockpit and killed me the chinook landed itsself without a scratch.

Luck?

Rissien
2010-02-26, 10:31
Landed at the flag with infatry on Yamalia to cap out RUS main and a heavy btr lit me up, I think I took at least 15 or so rounds *unknown if AP or HE* and managed to rtb, was slowly taking damage on the way back and alarms ddnt start going off untill i was in the rocess of landing.

andylamb
2010-02-26, 11:08
H[=ElvishKnight;1279545']Landed at the flag with infatry on Yamalia to cap out RUS main and a heavy btr lit me up, I think I took at least 15 or so rounds *unknown if AP or HE* and managed to rtb, was slowly taking damage on the way back and alarms ddnt start going off untill i was in the rocess of landing.

And let's face it in reality if you sneeze on the chinook it breaks.

Alex6714
2010-02-26, 11:34
The chinook probably takes too much, while the other helis too little. Something in the middle is probably the best solution.

rampo
2010-02-26, 11:37
The toughness of the chinook is compencated whit the large hitbox of hitting on that monster ;)

I've propably taken down more chinooks than any other choppers

Drunkenup
2010-02-26, 15:17
The toughness of the chinook is compencated whit the large hitbox of hitting on that monster ;)

I've propably taken down more chinooks than any other choppers

I'm guessing that the damage that it can absorb is to compensate for its great size and why you've taken down so many chinooks.

I've had countless close encounters while piloting the Chinook. I was transporting a squad from mainbase to the middle objective. A BMP had been camping the area and began to fire upon us. I managed to take in a good amount of rounds and land and go back. I was barely smoking although I took in maybe 15 rounds of HE.

I would have to agree about the large gap between the damages the helicopters can take. I encountered a Littlebird while using the BMP, and 2 rounds of HE finished it off. Sometimes I think its ridiculous about how much damage some of the aircraft can take, like 5 rounds of .50 to the BH, 10 14.5mm on the Huey, and some of the others.

clueless_noob
2010-02-26, 16:46
Deployed AA is utterly useless against Chinooks. Two direct hits from point blank range before pilot managed to deploy flares, with no effect what so ever.

BadGuy
2010-03-17, 07:45
Answer this, if the Huey is like an angel then who is god?

Huey are known to be Swiss cheesed and still able to fly. so course the engine is not located in the frame but above it and even so The rotter blades are both powered by en engine in the back. Do not doubt a real machines made for war zones and for one war previous. Choppers were bulky and reliable back then.

But really I never did see a Chinook get shot down but rather it just crashes. Kinda strange but the last time was I guess a Rocket hit it and .50 Cal was shooting it, It still went going after an RPG hit it but the MG finished it while I was inside. Do like the Canadians have Chinooks?

TomG101
2010-03-20, 01:04
The chinook probably takes too much, while the other helis too little. Something in the middle is probably the best solution.

the chook probaly takes alot of damage to amke up for how many ppl can fit in it i been in 1 with a 2000l fuel tank and we still got 20 ppl in so that prop y it can take the rounds

Hitman.2.5
2010-03-20, 01:38
you look at the size of the Chinook then it kinda hits home about how high the structural integrity is going to be XD

Eddie Baker
2010-03-20, 11:28
For a real life example of how tough it is:

82nd Combat Aviation Brigade pilots earn Silver Star (http://www.army.mil/-news/2010/03/12/35758-82nd-combat-aviation-brigade-pilots-earn-silver-star/index.html?ref=home-headline-title7)

In November 2009, Woolley and his crew were called for a casualty evacuation mission in Baghdis province, western Afghanistan. As Woolley and his crew approached the pick-up site, his left door gunner reported heavy tracer fire coming at them. Woolley and his co-pilot maneuvered to avoid the rounds.

Once they were able to land, ground troops began loading five wounded Soldiers on the aircraft. Very quickly, the aircraft began taking more enemy fire. With less than a minute on ground, insurgents fired a rocket propelled grenade at Woolley's Chinook. The round penetrated the nose, flew between the two pilots, and hit the flight engineer in the back of the head before coming to a rest inside the helicopter, unexploded.

Woolley and his crew continued to take a barrage of enemy fire, but Woolley directed the team to stay on ground until the last patient was loaded. Once the fifth patient was loaded, Woolley led the team out of the hot landing zone and back to a coalition base where the casualties could receive treatment.

After they determined the aircraft was still flyable, Woolley made the decision to conduct a second casualty evacuation of several wounded and dead Afghan National Army soldiers.

Dayamn . . . :shock:

Alex6714
2010-03-20, 11:36
Il see if I can find the source to the news of the pilot getting shot in the head, yet surviving, Chinook taking more fire, losing stabilization systems, and still flying back to base.

Thatl do.

Shot in the Head, Hero Pilot Lands Chinook Safely (http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/warzone/2010/03/shot-in-the-head-hero-pilot-la.html)

Chinook Pilot Shot Between The Eyes...Survives (http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?175452-Chinook-Pilot-Shot-Between-The-Eyes-Survives)

RAF helicoptor pilot shot between the eyes by Taliban flies 20 to safety - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/7373768/RAF-helicoptor-pilot-shot-between-the-eyes-by-Taliban-flies-20-to-safety.html)

Also, :-o if this is true: This was the first time a pilot has been shot while in the air during the Afghanistan war.

PLODDITHANLEY
2010-03-20, 12:50
The freaky thing is that that Chinook, was the ONE that survived the exocet attcks on the atlantic conveyor during the Falklands war.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Chinoook-Pilot-Shot-Between-The-Eyes-Manages-To-Fly-Casualties-To-Safety-Ian-Fortune-Afghanistan/Article/201003115567655?lpos=World_News_First_UK_News_Arti cle_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15567655_Chinoook_Pilot_Shot_Between_T he_Eyes_Manages_To_Fly_Casualties_To_Safety%3A_Ian _Fortune_Afghanistan

While the rescues were still proceeding, the container ship 'Atlantic Conveyor' was hit by an Argentine Exocet missile, launched from a Super Etendard and probably intended for the aircraft carrier, HMS Invincible. 'Conveyor' was soon burning fiercely. A Wessex HU.5, XT468 and three No.826 Squadron Sea Kings, from HMS Hermes, rescued 13 of the ship's company. Others were taken off by accompanying frigates. Twelve men died including 'Conveyor's' master, Ian North. The ship's cargo had included six Wessex HU.5s, of No. 848 Squadron, and four RAF Chinook HC.1s.
Fortunately one Chinook HC.1, ZA718, and one 845 Squadron Wessex HU.5, XT468, were already airborne, when 'Conveyor' was hit, but the remaining three Chinooks and all six of 848 Squadron's Wessex HU.5s were reduced to burning wreckage. It had been planned that all four RAF Chinooks would aid the advance of British troops, soon including 5 Infantry Brigade, from San Carlos towards Stanley but, with only ZA718 remaining, priority had to be given to heavy equipment and most of the troops had to walk up to fifty miles before the hardest fighting began.

http://www.hmfriends.org.uk/falklands25th.htm

The Sole Chinook in the Falklands

Of the many different types of RAF and Royal Navy aircraft, the busiest of all was probably the lone Chinook helicopter ( code-sign ZA 718 ) which survived the sinking of the Atlantic Conveyor, in which three other Chinooks were lost. In seventeen days of non-stop support of the land forces, the Chinook made an unrivalled contribution to the campaign. It flew for 109 hours, carried 2,150 troops, including 95 casualties and 550 prisoners of war, and moved 550 tons of supplies. Its chief pilot, Squadron Leader Dick Langsworth, was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.

http://www.falklands.info/history/hist82article14.html

badmojo420
2010-03-21, 03:15
In November 2009, Woolley and his crew were called for a casualty evacuation mission in Baghdis province, western Afghanistan. As Woolley and his crew approached the pick-up site, his left door gunner reported heavy tracer fire coming at them. Woolley and his co-pilot maneuvered to avoid the rounds.

Once they were able to land, ground troops began loading five wounded Soldiers on the aircraft. Very quickly, the aircraft began taking more enemy fire. With less than a minute on ground, insurgents fired a rocket propelled grenade at Woolley's Chinook. The round penetrated the nose, flew between the two pilots, and hit the flight engineer in the back of the head before coming to a rest inside the helicopter, unexploded.

Woolley and his crew continued to take a barrage of enemy fire, but Woolley directed the team to stay on ground until the last patient was loaded. Once the fifth patient was loaded, Woolley led the team out of the hot landing zone and back to a coalition base where the casualties could receive treatment.

After they determined the aircraft was still flyable, Woolley made the decision to conduct a second casualty evacuation of several wounded and dead Afghan National Army soldiers.

Taking a faulty RPG through the windshield is hardly an example of how tough the Chinook is. More of an example of how bad the quality of the Talibans' weapons are. If the round exploded when it struck the windshield I'm sure both pilots would have died, no?

AgentMongoose
2010-03-21, 18:11
Taking a faulty RPG through the windshield is hardly an example of how tough the Chinook is. More of an example of how bad the quality of the Talibans' weapons are. If the round exploded when it struck the windshield I'm sure both pilots would have died, no?

Agreed. It's an amazing story but doesn't really bare too much relivence on the armour of the in game chinook.
I with my trusty gunner dumped over 100 rounds from the btr80 into the engines of a chinook as it was dropping troops on silient only to have it fly away seemingly unharmed.

Now I under stand rounds going throught the cabin aren't going to doo much as it is just empty space, but rounds into the engine should have destroyed/cause power loss in that bird.

sharkforce
2010-03-22, 07:37
the Chinook is very easily shot down with the BTR80A

dtacs
2010-03-22, 08:29
Agreed. It's an amazing story but doesn't really bare too much relivence on the armour of the in game chinook.
I with my trusty gunner dumped over 100 rounds from the btr80 into the engines of a chinook as it was dropping troops on silient only to have it fly away seemingly unharmed.

Now I under stand rounds going throught the cabin aren't going to doo much as it is just empty space, but rounds into the engine should have destroyed/cause power loss in that bird.
Wouldn't the sparks from the rounds also ignite the fuel?

Either way, needs less armor.