PDA

View Full Version : Chinook field of view

Lucke189
2010-02-22, 23:21
I just tried out the Chinook for the first time and it's a real beauty.

The thing that's bugging me is how hard it is to land.

I mean, it's possible and all, but it's still much harder than on the other transport helicopters.
What makes it so hard is the field of view. It's pointing to much towards the sky to let the pilot use the windows under the instruments panel. And if the pilot can't see the ground at all, then it's hard to judge how high you actually are - Which, I think, is the source to the landing problem. In the real helicopter the windows were put there for a reason but in PR we can't use them and steer at the same time.

Let me show you what I mean.

This is what it looks like when your flying.
http://pici.se/pictures/gCrwDnlwP.jpg

This is a bit more how I think it should look like.
http://pici.se/pictures/REBwltssA.jpg

I looked a little bit too much down in the last pic, but it shows my point.

What do you think?

karambaitos
2010-02-22, 23:26
I dont know i just use the HUD to land choppers most of the time and if landing in your main base just see how high up it is before taking off and then look at the numbers when landing.

Chris_Redfield09
2010-02-22, 23:54
When flying the Chinook with that view it is important to have a stabilized approach with good references at your landing area. This way you can basically use your peripheral visual cues as a guide to altitude. For example if you are landing on a road, while on approach take a mental snapshot of the surroundings immediately next your landing point, then use those surroundings to judge how far off the ground you are. The Chinook can handle a rough landing from a few feet off the ground so there is no need to make it perfect. This should solve a large amount landing problems due to that standard viewpoint. I would think the high view point is there to allow for a better forward visibility off the nose while in a low pitch attitude.

0331SgtSpyUSMC
2010-02-23, 00:37
I dont know i just use the HUD to land choppers most of the time and if landing in your main base just see how high up it is before taking off and then look at the numbers when landing.

One thing is when you are at main, I'm pretty sure he means when you are in drop zone. I agree it is much harder to see out of them and limited view on approach does cause a great deal of crashes.

LUKE_NUKE_EM
2010-02-23, 01:12
Alas, no working gauges makes the landings a bit more difficult.

But in most cases the HUD does just fine.

Rudd
2010-02-23, 01:13
maybe change the weapon 8 slot view from Up to down? for most trans chops that would probably be a good idea

FuzzySquirrel
2010-02-23, 01:29
Rudd;1276293']maybe change the weapon 8 slot view from Up to down? for most trans chops that would probably be a good idea

Or have it something like the .75 littlebirds (Fire 1 looked Right Fire 2 looked left) but only use Fire 1 to look down, Afaik Its unassigned anyway.

Qaiex
2010-02-23, 13:45
agreed, unless you have trackIR, which most people don't, it's a bitch getting the thing to land.
It's a big helicopter, it takes up more space than most of them and you can't see backwards or down to spot your landing. And if you press CTRL to use free look or get the map up to add a marker while in flight the chinook just throws itself backwards and tries to crash.

Currently the back is a lot heavier than the front, so it tips backwards too easily, it's like the rear engine doesn't compensate for the weight.
And I don't know about anyone else but to me it feels like the center axis of the helicopter goes horizontally through the middle of the cockpit, and out through the back.
When it should be going through the rotorblades or the engines to make it easier to do, game-engine-wise, since that is the part that creates the lift.
It really needs some tweaking to keep it stable in the air.

Rissien
2010-02-23, 21:18
I find myself the best way of landing is tipping the nose upward and letting the back end touch down first.

BrownBadger
2010-03-02, 12:16
I didn't think trackIR worked with PR.

Qaiex
2010-03-02, 14:04
It apparently does.
This is modded PR, as you can see from the 3D hud and stuff but still.

UkjKVoQfr8U

T.Nightingale
2010-03-03, 01:30
It apparently does.
This is modded PR, as you can see from the 3D hud and stuff but still.

UkjKVoQfr8U

Track IR is the best but so damn expensive.

I use Widescreen fixer 1.60 and a co-pilot to make sure i land fine.
The thing is if PR could they would have the FOV built in since its more realistic, but i believe that's a hard-coded thing.

McBumLuv
2010-03-03, 01:38
http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18-pr-suggestions/53811-new-transport-helicopter-view.html

Helicopters definitely need the ability to look through their rudder-pedal window and control the helicopter, and the Chinook's FOV is waaaayyy too small.