PDA

View Full Version : [Vehicle] Commander UAV

Pages : [1] 2

dbzao
2009-07-20, 08:43
Here's a development to make the commander role more enjoyable while keeping him focused on the strategic and communication aspects of his job.

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/3884/uav3.jpg

The commander can enable this UAV from his command post and guide it like you would guide the vBF2 TV guided missiles from attack choppers. But of course they fly a lot slower and can only go left and right (not up and down) staying at a fixed height ;)

Right now we have it as a 10 min fly over, and after that you have to wait another 10 min for it to "refuel".

Before anybody asks, NO, we can't make it lase anything or shoot anything. His job will be just recon. Also we couldn't make it fly in circles around a target, so you will have to fly through the area and come back, and so on.

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/1287/uav1.jpg

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/8310/uav2.jpg

0d5zwfddy48

dxI1TKgpqec

We are considering having a similar recon vehicle for the chechens, taliban and insurgents, to also encourage commanders in those factions. Like a remote controlled model airplane or something like that. We just need somebody to model it.

Or perhaps a flying boat :p

M7O34vWMJWg

With this change we hope to encourage more players to become commanders and understand their role in helping the team with intel and support. ;)

Edit to answer user questions:
You can open your commander capslock map while the UAV is flying and do all the normal stuff commander does. Then you press capslock to go back to the UAV. You just go back and forth.

No minimap icon. If we put a map icon it would show up for both teams. We could spawn an icon every X seconds, but imo it's not really needed that much.

I really don't like the idea of locking and shooting it down with AA as it would be just too easy, making the UAV useless.

Edit²:
This one in Mestia you can see that I can really only see troop movement if they are vehicles or they are out in the open.

1koY6EG8Q9g

This one in Ramiel it's a little easier to see as bots run in the middle of the street. If you were still or inside buildings it would be much harder.

2UKvDADXRd0

Hearing the sounds bellow is annoying and not sure we will be able to stop it. You can do that anyways with the commander 3rd zoom, so it's not like anything new.

And if we can't make it destroyable, we might just make it fly very high as they can irl.

AncientMan
2009-07-20, 08:48
Flying boat is where it's at :D

Cheditor
2009-07-20, 08:50
Very nice, love the fact it is nice and high in the couds, though with the crosshairs is that mouse controlled?

Rudd
2009-07-20, 08:54
+1000 respect

the battlefield just got less forgiving :)

CnC! omg this is gonna rock so harD!

wookimonsta
2009-07-20, 08:57
this is perfect, its really gonna make people play commander alot more.
one thing i didn't quite understand though, can you switch between it and normal commander view or can you use it, switch to commander view and then have to wait 10 minutes?

Robert-The-Bruce
2009-07-20, 09:03
This is great! :D

Am I correct in assuming that the camera is fixed?

Wicca
2009-07-20, 09:04
Good work devs;) You guys seem to know how to put those extra things that really add to the excperience;)

DrugKoala
2009-07-20, 09:05
ATM I feel both unparalleled joy and utter letdown.

On servers I'm either commander or recon (without sniper, to be known). So recon by foot is useless now, but commies finally get some toys.

But good job, nonetheless.

D-JHappyMeal
2009-07-20, 09:09
You guys are amazing. Grab yourselves a beer+pizza or something, but you guys just did the (near) impossible.
http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/political-pictures-stephen-colbert-epic-win.jpg

Fenriswolf-GER-
2009-07-20, 09:09
this is too cool this will make it much more interessting to become comander
is it possible to zoom in with X or any other key?

Jigsaw
2009-07-20, 09:16
Or

renderer.drawhud 0 ;)

Nah seriously veeery nice work.

Cpt.Kawakowitsch
2009-07-20, 09:34
Will it be possible to shoot this UAV down?

space
2009-07-20, 09:45
Anything that makes the commander job more attractive, is full of win.

Ragni<RangersPL>
2009-07-20, 09:46
This...
is it possible to zoom in with X or any other key?
...and this...
Will it be possible to shoot this UAV down?

On topic...

I can't find the words to express how much cool this is!!!

Was it hard to code?

JacenSolo
2009-07-20, 10:01
Very good idea!!
It's really funny, on our forum, one of our member has just proposed this idea.

Gaz
2009-07-20, 10:09
dbzao;1089348']
We are considering having a similar recon vehicle for the chechens, taliban and insurgents, to also encourage commanders in those factions. Like a remote controlled model airplane or something like that. We just need somebody to model it.

Google Earth ;)

Glimmerman
2009-07-20, 10:17
Nice work guys just what we needed, next step making it a MQ-1 with 2 x Hellfires ;)

Cheditor
2009-07-20, 10:18
Gaz;1089406']Google Earth ;)

At the end of the 10 minutes Blue screen of death!

Sadist_Cain
2009-07-20, 10:33
SO COOL!!!

Tomato-Rifle
2009-07-20, 10:41
GREAT! this is exactly what i wanted in PR.

AWESOME WORK!!!

dbzao
2009-07-20, 11:02
We hope we can make it so it can be shot down, but we are running into problems. In my opinion, if we can't do it, it wouldn't be that much of a big deal.

The zoom is fixed to that height. Would be nice to have zoom, but might not be possible, or we might change the current zoom, so let's see.

I just uploaded a vid that I recorded using PR SP. As you can see, it's not uber all-seeing-eye. You can see the little soldiers, but it just gives you a very general panorama of what's going on. If they are still or under cover, would be very hard to locate them.

I also flew around in Qinling and noticed you really are going to have to use it with a target in mind. Trying to find enemies at random won't be that useful or succesful. Flying to an area that your troops reported enemy contacts (or you plan to attack) is where this will work best imo.

dxI1TKgpqec

We are also gonna try to make it so you can't hear the sounds of the vehicles and shooting bellow.

Spaz
2009-07-20, 11:07
On servers I'm either commander or recon (without sniper, to be known). So recon by foot is useless now

Not really, a recon squad on the ground will be able to laze targets and see better.

AnimalMother.
2009-07-20, 11:12
looks really good! definitely a positive change.

and that flying boat is pretty... pretty badass

Dug
2009-07-20, 11:17
Epic simply epic.

PLODDITHANLEY
2009-07-20, 11:20
Good move, its good that the CO has to watch it manually, not like VBF's UAV.
I like the view, that is bad enough so you could miss enemy troops.
I hate the idea of an seeing eye ala VBF, if it is much higher than the VBF UAV it will be impossible to hear and very hard to see so having it destroyable would seem lots of work for not very much.

RHYS4190
2009-07-20, 11:27
dbzao;1089431']We hope we can make it so it can be shot down, but we are running into problems. In my opinion, if we can't do it, it wouldn't be that much of a big deal.

The zoom is fixed to that height. Would be nice to have zoom, but might not be possible, or we might change the current zoom, so let's see.

I just uploaded a vid that I recorded using PR SP. As you can see, it's not uber all-seeing-eye. You can see the little soldiers, but it just gives you a very general panorama of what's going on. If they are still or under cover, would be very hard to locate them.

I also flew around in Qinling and noticed you really are going to have to use it with a target in mind. Trying to find enemies at random won't be that useful or succesful. Flying to an area that your troops reported enemy contacts (or you plan to attack) is where this will work best imo.

dxI1TKgpqec

We are also gonna try to make it so you can't hear the sounds of the vehicles and shooting bellow.

can you make it immune to small arm’s fire like say perhaps 7.62 and 5.62,

I doubt those rounds have the power to be able to get that get to that altitude let alone hit a UAV in RL,(has any one tried it any one?)

so it be pretty silly if you where able to snipe a UAV with a with 5.62 round like you can in BF2 don't you think?.

cyberzomby
2009-07-20, 11:33
hmmm I dont know. If I think quick about it I think it sucks. No more sneaking round the flank with the TOW humvee on EJOD for instance. When the team is so "bad" that it wont even watch there flanks, theres always the CO flying over in his little god eye vehicle. Same with soldiers flanking.

You say: Its best used in a contact report or advance, but that is so overpowering. No more flanking the enemy. You can make out the little dots you say. So that means you can see an enemy squad flanking. No more "fair fights" where you can outsmart the enemy if theres a CO present.

I know, wait to see how it plays out, but this is just how I tink of it now. Its cool that you where able to code this up. Kudo's for that. But I dont think I like this in-game.

Or an enemy firebase positioned out of sight. BAM! CO discovers it and cripples the enemy team by just flying over it by accident. Ofcourse knowing this you can send one of your squads to permantly defend the base. Oh well! Like I said earlier, need to wait to see how this plays out, but this is just how I think of it now :) Im open to new changes and also this ofcourse.

General Dragosh
2009-07-20, 11:37
Yay, thats nice for a change. . .

I do want to shot it down with an handheld MG, would make me feel powerfull :P

thedoombringer0
2009-07-20, 11:38
Have to say epic.

Although im just wondering do you have to stay in that view for the full ten minutes?
Its just there may be times it could impact on your commanding if you did stay in it for the 10 minutes. Like calling in area attacks and informing Sls of other Sls movements/plans.
That is unless you can command while guiding it =P

Also can it be shot down?

Spaz
2009-07-20, 11:43
cyberzomby;1089447']Or an enemy firebase positioned out of sight. BAM! CO discovers it and cripples the enemy team by just flying over it by accident.

What are you talking about? How would he do that? Sure he can spot it but he still needs to send someone out there to destroy the firebase. And about the flanking, the CO won't be able to watch everything all the time.

Sundance Kid
2009-07-20, 11:44
Oh yeah i think i just got a Broner :O nice job

AfterDune
2009-07-20, 11:50
cyberzomby;1089447']hmmm I dont know. If I think quick about it I think it sucks. No more sneaking round the flank with the TOW humvee on EJOD for instance. When the team is so "bad" that it wont even watch there flanks, theres always the CO flying over in his little god eye vehicle. Same with soldiers flanking.

You say: Its best used in a contact report or advance, but that is so overpowering. No more flanking the enemy. You can make out the little dots you say. So that means you can see an enemy squad flanking. No more "fair fights" where you can outsmart the enemy if theres a CO present.

I know, wait to see how it plays out, but this is just how I tink of it now. Its cool that you where able to code this up. Kudo's for that. But I dont think I like this in-game.

Or an enemy firebase positioned out of sight. BAM! CO discovers it and cripples the enemy team by just flying over it by accident. Ofcourse knowing this you can send one of your squads to permantly defend the base. Oh well! Like I said earlier, need to wait to see how this plays out, but this is just how I think of it now :) Im open to new changes and also this ofcourse.
Don't think of this as the same UAV as in vanilla. This one is very, very different. Look at the vid, you can see how slow it moves, plus you can't see that much from the battlefield either. And you have a "loading" time, etc, etc. This really won't be that l33t. Just a realistic nice-to-have commander asset :).

Well, you say it yourself, wait and see how it plays out ;).

cyberzomby
2009-07-20, 11:59
haha yea :) I dont want to burn this down before I see it in the game itself :)

And Spaz, I know. But if he spots lets say the firebase, the team knows about it. And without the UAV the team needed to look for it themselves. Now they just send the CO over there to take a look, while they continue to assault another position. If the CO finds something good, if not they keep on attacking. Same with flanking units.

But if Afterdune says you cant see that much, Im going to take his word for it until I see it myself :)

Outlawz7
2009-07-20, 11:59
Woops nvm, saw db's post (and damn the no edit button)

Also how will this thing start and end? Will it just spawn in mid-air somewhere and explode when "out of fuel"?

Zar2Roc
2009-07-20, 12:11
I hope that it generates enough heat to be locked on by AAs. Also, if it was destroyed, it should have 2x longer reload time. As it was asked before, is the camera fixed or can be rotated?

Hah, I initally thought of using it to ram into cobras.

dbzao
2009-07-20, 12:12
Camera is fixed, we couldn't make it rotate.

Outlawz, yes, it just spawns and disappears.

cyberzomby, did you watch the video? Specially the second one? It's very challenging to see what's going on. It's not THAT overpowered at all imo.

marcoelnk
2009-07-20, 12:14
Veerry nice ! :D

jmlane
2009-07-20, 12:18
Very nice work db. Very timely development considering all the discussion taking place in general discussion about revamping the CO role in PR 0.9+. Looking forward to your updates!

wookimonsta
2009-07-20, 12:23
looks awesome, but i give it two weeks after being released until the threads "GIVE UAV ZOOM AND HELLFIRE MISSLES LIKE REAL UNMANNED DRONE!" and "I BET NO ONE HAS THOUGHT OF GIVING THIS THING MISSLES BEFORE SO I SUGGEST IT BECAUSE IT WOULD BE SO SUPER AWESOME" threads start cropping up

space
2009-07-20, 12:30
Maybe put a loud prop noise on it.......This would help drown out sound for the commander, but it would also give the enemy a chance to take cover ( UAVs in RL are very noisy )

AnimalMother.
2009-07-20, 12:32
Maybe put a loud prop noise on it.......This would help drown out sound for the commander, but it would also give the enemy a chance to take cover ( UAVs in RL are very noisy )

but dont they also fly really high? or is that a common misconception?

maybe just add some radio chatter if its possible to get some material of comms from a commander to the UAV operator or something to drown out the noises from below

Ragni<RangersPL>
2009-07-20, 12:40

AFAIK UAVs fly on a very very high altitude and it's almost impossible to hear them... especially if you are in the middle of a war zone ;)

A heat source attached to it would be good for the game play... so it could be shot down by AA missiles. People would start to build AA site near FOs and request AA kits :D

(I hope it could be destroyable ;) )

=Romagnolo=
2009-07-20, 12:51
TOTALLY AWESOME !

The video has no sound or will not the UAV have sound ?

marcoelnk
2009-07-20, 12:52
Ragni<RangersPL>;1089493']
A heat source attached to it would be good for the game play... so it could be shot down by AA missiles. People would start to build AA site near FOs and request AA kits :D

(I hope it could be destroyable ;) )

That would be far too wasy then as i cannot escape quickly or drop flares.
No heat lock pls :)

And it does have sound in the video...just very quiet but you can hear iut when turning up your speakers.

space
2009-07-20, 12:54
Some of them fly very high and are very quiet, but many of them do not......

Elbit Hermes 450 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbit_Hermes_450)

Something like that would be good to base the UAV on, and they can definitely be heard from the ground.

A prop sound, would allow some infantry to take cover, but still allow commanders to see FB's, vehicles, and infantry that are out in the open.

Lt Mic
2009-07-20, 12:58
Awesome! No more bored!!

Engineer
2009-07-20, 12:59
At last!

Rangu
2009-07-20, 13:01
Yes! Finally!

Priby
2009-07-20, 13:04
Sweet! This will make the commander position a lot more attractive.
Guess it will spawn over the command post?

nickshehan
2009-07-20, 13:06
so the UAV is going to be a flying boat?.....jk:mrgreen:

Very nice work, but i gotta say two hellfires would be pure win

Wilkinson
2009-07-20, 13:09
Very Sweet. Will you be able to hear sounds as well or no?

For the Taliban and Chechens, you could use a flying technical? ;)

Ricardo-SC
2009-07-20, 13:13
Simply amazing! and not believing in what I saw!

O-M-G! :shock:

Engineer
2009-07-20, 13:14
Damn no edit button...

Anyway, you can still 'see' the UAV quite clearly from the sky... I was just thinking could you scale the model down a bit, making it harder to see with the naked eye? Or maybe even completely invisible if you can not or do not want it to be destroyed.

But it will surely be a great feature, glad you get it to work. I really look forward to see it in action.

MrScruff
2009-07-20, 13:16
I always thought this would be amazing on insurgency maps as the CO can analyze possible cache positions when there are no current intel points, and all done without wasting a single soldiers life.

Maybe the troops will be cruising around nearby and the CO will suddenly give intel on built up enemy positions and which building all the insurgents are running into.

Zoom would be amazing. But even greater would be the possibility to laze a target which would be CAS more accurate and quicker rather than hovering and getting shot down whilst losing 20 tickets. lol.

This would not only make the commander position more appealing but would also create a better balance on public servers. Especially when public insurgency servers are really not balanced.

+9999 respect

Blade.3510
2009-07-20, 13:28
for insurgents theres no place to hideo :p

NickO
2009-07-20, 13:30
Will the commander be able to place attack markers during the fly by's? Will the commanders "commanding" role be suspended for 10 minutes every 10 minutes? The good thing about the vBF2 "UAV" system where the commander could watch the battlefield was that he could actually direct the troops as he's watching the enemies movements? Being unable to stay in the normal commander menu will result in being forced to use all talk to all the squad leaders instead of the relevant one's and rendering any true spotting by placing markers on the enemy positions like you do through reports by the squad leaders now which meant every single player on the team could see where the enemies APC's/Infantry were by just opening up the map (if the commander has a steady flow of intel). The commander is supposed to direct the troops and that becomes impossible if for 10minutes straight he can only watch.

All this is assuming that he can only watch through the UAV and not place markers though.

Maybe the UAV could be intergrated where the map usually is/where the old "UAV" view in vbf2 was.

=Romagnolo=
2009-07-20, 13:36
Oh, I forgot once more, here it is, you deserve it:

http://freshfunnypictures.com/funny-pictures/3937/internet-ticket.jpg

Rudd
2009-07-20, 13:37
I'd be happy to see it extremely easy to shoot down tbh to balance its power, as well as to encourage overwatch on friendlies rather than random firebase hunting.

Tegyr
2009-07-20, 13:40
What the above poster said worries me too, would his current tasks as commander have to be suspended for 10 minutes while he flies the UAV? Would it be possible to make it so that he can jump in and out of the UAV view for those 10 minutes?

Neo_Mapper
2009-07-20, 13:40
looks good, but I have some questions (like all the others here :P)

1. Is it kind of a "vehicle" you have to get inside or do you start it as an commander asset from the commander screen like a faildam (eh I mean jdam)?
2. are you able to get out from the UAV screen to the "normal" commander screen to talk to individual squads and maybe mark things on the map you spotted like firebases and stuff?
3. will the UAV be on the friendly minimap like all vehicle?

(4.) can we getz hellfirez on it? (any sort of weapon)

burghUK
2009-07-20, 13:45
Can it be shot down?

Alex6714
2009-07-20, 13:49
(4.) can we getz hellfirez on it? (any sort of weapon)

By the looks of it is is a weapon itself (projectile) so I would say no.

To shoot it down you could add thr heat source onto it, and add anti projectile meshes onto the missiles, as we did in CA. Not a perfect solution but it works well enough. Though I don´t think its necessary to be shot down, I am not sure the effectiveness of light SAMs vs things like that at their altitudes.

Anyway, good stuff.

Spuz36
2009-07-20, 13:50
One more obstacle for choppers/jets/flying boats to hit :p Nice work guys, think this will help encourage commander usage since now he will be able to see things for himself, incase there is a lazy SL where all the action is :roll:

AnimalMother.
2009-07-20, 13:51
the serbs shot a predator down with a SAM

"A second aircraft (serial 95-3019) was lost on 13 May, when it was shot down by a Serbian Strela-1M surface-to-air missile over the village of Biba. A Serbian TV crew videotaped this incident.[20]"

ok its from wiki but hey ho

Double Doppler
2009-07-20, 14:15
This commander UAV idea is brilliant! Hopefully, the commander will have more stuff to do rather than sit back giving orders and having fags

space
2009-07-20, 14:19
rather than sit back giving orders and having fags

This has a very different meaning in most parts of the world Dop 8-)

D.E.S.T.RO._YJB
2009-07-20, 14:26
Fantastic job, guys!

I think we have even more reality in the battlefield.

My congratulations about that!

RBR D.E.S.T.R.O._YJB

cyberzomby
2009-07-20, 14:47
dbzao;1089477']Camera is fixed, we couldn't make it rotate.

Outlawz, yes, it just spawns and disappears.

cyberzomby, did you watch the video? Specially the second one? It's very challenging to see what's going on. It's not THAT overpowered at all imo.

Yea I did. but its not an entire screen, and youtube quality so like I said, curious how it looks with a high resolution on a full-screen. But I take your and Afterdune's word for it that its not overpowering :) It seems like a fun add-on for the CO's for sure

How easy will it be to gain acces to the CO screen when ure flying? And can u get back to the flying after you went back to the CO screen from flight?

In other words, once a CO is flying, will squads lose his support for 10 minutes (marker/map wise) or can you just pop in and out?

This will be very usefull to guide squads on what are to watch: Get behind that house and watch the left and right. Or point out EXACTLY where you want them! ooh! Im beginning to like this XD

paratrooper[BG]
2009-07-20, 14:50
very very good :)

Oddsodz
2009-07-20, 14:57
I Am Happy and sad. As somebody has already said. Flanking may now just be that bit harder. But Ejod is a small map. Now think about how this is going to work on K64/BfQ64. It's going to take ages for it to move around and to see anything. So that is not so bad.

It is a good thing in the long run I think. as the commander slot is in need of something to keep players in the role full time.

dbzao
2009-07-20, 15:22
You can open your commander capslock map while the UAV is flying and do all the normal stuff commander does. Then you press capslock to go back to the UAV. You just go back and forth.

No minimap icon. If we put a map icon it would show up for both teams. We could spawn an icon every X seconds, but imo it's not really needed that much.

I really don't like the idea of locking and shooting it down with AA as it would be just too easy, making the UAV useless.

2009-07-20, 15:33
There goes stealth tactics right out the window. Except for forest maps probably.

cyberzomby
2009-07-20, 15:41
dbzao;1089634']You can open your commander capslock map while the UAV is flying and do all the normal stuff commander does. Then you press capslock to go back to the UAV. You just go back and forth.

WIN! Good stuff!

hall0
2009-07-20, 15:48
Nice one. But I think the players wont play more commander with this toy.

Adam6plyr
2009-07-20, 16:03
and now we w-8 ing for AC 130 Spectrum :D

HunterMed
2009-07-20, 16:10
dbzao;1089634']You can open your commander capslock map while the UAV is flying and do all the normal stuff commander does. Then you press capslock to go back to the UAV. You just go back and forth.

perfect!

Very good work!

Malkav
2009-07-20, 16:13
Nice!!
The Commander is back to action!

Hitman.2.5
2009-07-20, 16:32
Are many UAV's shot down in the field, It would be nice if you could zoom in though.

wolfi
2009-07-20, 16:40
Dammit db! I wanted to code the very same thing a while back but stopped developing it because I had issues. Now when I get it working your way everyone will be like "you stole it from PR!!!" :D Anyways, damn nice job there sir. I hope you don't mind if I take a look at your code :)

LithiumFox
2009-07-20, 16:44
WOOOT GO COMMANDER!

o.o wait... > > what about commanders who abuse this and only go commander for 10 minute increments? o.O

Aquiller
2009-07-20, 16:48
Have anyone noticed that the Flying Boat looks a bit similar to Star Wars' Destroyer? :D

As a regular CO in tournament I'll say it's great to see such interesting and useful update for CO assets.
I'll give it a try in tourny when it'll be available.

gclark03
2009-07-20, 17:08
An idea to simulate UAV missiles:

Allow two lased, SL-requested missile artillery strikes during the 10 minutes the UAV is online. The missiles don't actually have to come from the UAV to approximate the UAV's precision fire ability.

Warpig-
2009-07-20, 17:09
I'd be happy to see it extremely easy to shoot down tbh to balance its power, as well as to encourage overwatch on friendlies rather than random firebase hunting.

Same. Couple that with a slight prop noise (if realistic) and I think it'd be pretty fairly balanced

Expendable Grunt
2009-07-20, 17:13

Allow two lased, SL-requested missile artillery strikes during the 10 minutes the UAV is online. The missiles don't actually have to come from the UAV to approximate the UAV's precision fire ability.

Sounds interesting.

M.

jmlane
2009-07-20, 17:19
looks awesome, but i give it two weeks after being released until the threads "GIVE UAV ZOOM AND HELLFIRE MISSLES LIKE REAL UNMANNED DRONE!" and "I BET NO ONE HAS THOUGHT OF GIVING THIS THING MISSLES BEFORE SO I SUGGEST IT BECAUSE IT WOULD BE SO SUPER AWESOME" threads start cropping upYeah, and to highlight this point, wookimonsta couldn't even post: "In before hellfire missiles and zoom".

steve_06-07
2009-07-20, 18:47
This is a very sweet new commander toy. I know it would be cosmetic and wouldn't be all that noticeable but could there be a possibility that the Russians (Maybe even MEC) could have their own UAV instead of the Predator? Like the Pchela-1T?
http://warfare.ru/image.aspx?img=0702ey70/update/jan2005/pchela.jpg

BloodyDeed
2009-07-20, 19:05
woooow, thats really nice. hope this will help that more people will be commander.

Gore
2009-07-20, 19:30
Woah, that is awesome. Will it be destroyable like the one in vBF2?

Warpig-
2009-07-20, 19:33
They don't know yet. They're working on it, but hopefully yes

But I'm glad the commander is getting some new stuff finally. Can we expect some new area attack stuff too ;)

I'd be happy if the Jdam was nixed and/or we got mortar/arty a little more often. But the UAV is cool beans, good stuff!

arjan
2009-07-20, 19:34

Or SL have to place a laser marker, and the commander can only fire the missile on a locked laser target?

MAINERROR
2009-07-20, 19:43
Very very nice! Looking forward to this. Will definitely cheer me up when playing commander.

Conman51
2009-07-20, 19:52
will this be on all maps or just insurgency??

a zoom would be nice but nice job anyways!

Conman51
2009-07-20, 19:53
will this be on all maps or just insurgency??

a zoom would be nice but nice job anyways!

i also suggest a longer refuel time

M_Striker
2009-07-20, 19:59
Yes longer refuel time or shorter operating period, because I can see sneak attacks and ambushes useless now.

Conman51
2009-07-20, 20:04
can this be limited to only a few maps?

i just dont see it apropriate for some maps

NM|rotten
2009-07-20, 20:24
dbzao;1089348']We are considering having a similar recon vehicle for the chechens, taliban and insurgents, to also encourage commanders in those factions. Like a remote controlled model airplane or something like that. We just need somebody to model it.

What about a piñata like baloon, an old handycam attached to it, and a very very long cable. :razz:

Good Job guys.

cyberzomby
2009-07-20, 21:14
Yes longer refuel time or shorter operating period, because I can see sneak attacks and ambushes useless now.

Finaly someone who raised the same point. They have pointed out that its very unlucky if the CO finds your sneak attack this way, but not likely. Since its not that manoevrable, and your high up.

Snowmonc
2009-07-20, 21:27
Pure awesomeness. *thumbs up*

Oak
2009-07-20, 21:32
What happens when the UAV reaches the map boundary? Especially since a commander might hang a bit too long in the commander view?

Hitman.2.5
2009-07-20, 21:36
dont these things fly up at like 50,000 ft so there really hard to be seen?

Oak
2009-07-20, 21:37
Oh, and I'd like to say I think this feature absolutely awesome, in every way and form.

To all those saying this would ruin sneak attacks and the such - in my opinion it's like complaining about HATs since they allow puny infantry to engage mighty tanks. UAVs are a critical part of the modern battlefield, and when engaging a force equipped with them you need to take them into consideration.

If anything, it would make flanking maneuvers more interesting since now you have more incentive to stay under cover as much as possible.

Spaz
2009-07-20, 21:46
What happens when the UAV reaches the map boundary? Especially since a commander might hang a bit too long in the commander view?

The commander isn't actually in the UAV afaik so it should not be a problem.

cyberzomby
2009-07-20, 21:50
To all those saying this would ruin sneak attacks and the such - in my opinion it's like complaining about HATs since they allow puny infantry to engage mighty tanks.

No, cause if a HAT misses, its the player's fault. If the CO accidentaly spots you while flying over 'cause hes bored, your whole flanking mission failed. If it takes the CO to spot you, it means the squad you are sneaking up to, didnt had its situational awareness up good enough. So you would exploit there weakness. Thats the point that the people are raising I think.

Oak
2009-07-20, 21:55
cyberzomby;1089904']No, cause if a HAT misses, its the player's fault. If the CO accidentaly spots you while flying over 'cause hes bored, your whole flanking mission failed. If it takes the CO to spot you, it means the squad you are sneaking up to, didnt had its situational awareness up good enough. So you would exploit there weakness. Thats the point that the people are raising I think.
I understand your point but I was mainly giving HAT as an example of something which exists and is widely used in the modern battlefield.

Expendable Grunt
2009-07-20, 22:30
Com spots you and the defending force has to split and or face to confront you, weakening their power in the other direction. Assuming anyone listens to him and you get spotted in the first place.

M.

gclark03
2009-07-20, 22:33
Or SL have to place a laser marker, and the commander can only fire the missile on a locked laser target?

That would be ideal, but they ruled it out in the first post.

ben748
2009-07-20, 22:42
Love the uav, will make more people be commander now.

Outlawz7
2009-07-20, 23:11
I think it would be a very good idea to limit this to certain maps or game modes only.

agentscar
2009-07-20, 23:18
LMAO @ the flying boat!
Loving the UAV! :)

mp5punk
2009-07-21, 00:24
AWESOME I CANT WAIT to use the UAV does it have zoom control?

[uBp]Irish
2009-07-21, 00:28
This is great. (not tooting a horn) but is suggested something like this a whiiiiile ago, so great to see it being implemented.

Will definitely make the CO a more effective player

Threedroogs
2009-07-21, 00:33
wow! looks freaking awesome.

Snazz
2009-07-21, 01:04
dont these things fly up at like 50,000 ft so there really hard to be seen?
If you're referring to the Predator (which the BF2 UAV is modeled on) specifically:

"The system operates at an altitude of 25,000ft and at a range of 400nm." - Predator RQ-1 / MQ-1 / MQ-9 Reaper - Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) - Air Force Technology (http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/predator/)

The Globalhawk on the other hand apparently loiters at 65,000ft - RQ-4A/B Global Hawk High-Altitude, Long-Endurance, Unmanned Reconnaissance Aircraft - Air Force Technology (http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/global/)

Oddball 102
2009-07-21, 01:51
Looks really good

UAV like that would be awesome

jph701
2009-07-21, 02:08
woooohoooo sweet whats next on it hellfire missiles??? :D really nice looking forward to it

paradien
2009-07-21, 03:22
epic win

Peeta
2009-07-21, 03:35
Hmmmm new suggestions thead anyone? I say add a boat and then make it play "I'm on a boat" while it flies around. :D

Great work, this looks interesting. I will be the first commander in... 0.87? 0_0

Airsoft
2009-07-21, 04:45
dbzao;1089348']

Flying penis copter for the insurgents :D

IRslKeT0EmQ

Gu^n3r
2009-07-21, 05:02
Flying penis copter for the insurgents :D

IRslKeT0EmQ

it might just work lol

cyberzomby
2009-07-21, 05:34
I understand your point but I was mainly giving HAT as an example of something which exists and is widely used in the modern battlefield.
Yea your right about UAV's and the modern battlefield. Thats why Im not against it as much as I was. Its a fun toy, and its needed to get more CO's on the field. Hopefully, we wont get that many I just want to man the UAV CO's once its settled in.

War-Saw-M249
2009-07-21, 06:06
if both factions in a game get UAVs will they be flying at the same altitude risking of ramming into eachother?

M.Warren
2009-07-21, 06:18
Certainly some great news to see Commanders being applied in a more practical fashion. I am actually very pleased to hear this.

dbzao;1089348']The commander can enable this UAV from his command post and guide it like you would guide the vBF2 TV guided missiles from attack choppers. But of course they fly a lot slower and can only go left and right (not up and down) staying at a fixed height ;)

So the UAV spawns directly above the Commander's CP and the Commander will have to fly it out to it's intended destination, correct?

dbzao;1089348']Right now we have it as a 10 min fly over, and after that you have to wait another 10 min for it to "refuel".

If the UAV spawns above the Commanders CP like I'm assuming, the 10 minute loiter time appears to be acceptable as you'll obviously have to fly out to your destination. Although a 15-20 minute "refuel" period would be more fitting than 10 minutes. Reason being is that both friendly and enemy units would have a more comfortable window period to operate in secrecy.

The frequency of UAV's being airborne shouldn't be often enough to constantly observe the enemy. I can see how that could get out of hand and this is in relation to the average time span of a round. It should be used more along the lines of an "accent" or a "tool" that a Commander has available at his discretion. Like an available resource to use if he's intending to launch an assault in a specific area and wants to observe the area prior to the operation.

Simply put, the UAV should be an available resource for planned use in order to recon areas where friendly forces need to confirm the location of an enemy force. Rather than having the frequency of a UAV's availability bumped up so that a Commander uses a UAV to roam an area hoping to stumble over something to report. It should be treated just like a JDAM or Artillery/Mortar Strike, you save it and use it when it's appropriately needed with tactics in mind.

Get what I'm saying?

nozumu
2009-07-21, 06:31
ohohohoh!!!!

very cool!!

Conman51
2009-07-21, 06:37
If the UAV spawns above the Commanders CP like I'm assuming, the 10 minute loiter time appears to be acceptable as you'll obviously have to fly out to your destination. Although a 15-20 minute "refuel" period would be more fitting than 10 minutes. Reason being is that both friendly and enemy units would have a more comfortable window period to operate in secrecy.

The frequency of UAV's being airborne shouldn't be often enough to constantly observe the enemy. I can see how that could get out of hand and this is in relation to the average time span of a round. It should be used more along the lines of an "accent" or a "tool" that a Commander has available at his discretion. Like an available resource to use if he's intending to launch an assault in a specific area and wants to observe the area prior to the operation.

Simply put, the UAV should be an available resource for planned use in order to recon areas where friendly forces need to confirm the location of an enemy force. Rather than having the frequency of a UAV's availability bumped up so that a Commander uses a UAV to roam an area hoping to stumble over something to report. It should be treated just like a JDAM or Artillery/Mortar Strike, you save it and use it when it's appropriately needed with tactics in mind.

Get what I'm saying?

You said what I wanted to in a better way than I ever could say it!:-)

I really do agree though that it should be requested from time to time from SLs in the field who need help doing a task, not just the commanders legal way of being an all seeing eye.

wookimonsta
2009-07-21, 09:57
why should ambushes be useless?
just make it so you are covered from above and you can still ambush folks, which seems realistic if you ask me.

jbgeezer
2009-07-21, 10:39
Nice! Cant wait to see my mortar strikes hit the enemy.

Ragni<RangersPL>
2009-07-21, 10:45
dbzao;1089348']We are considering having a similar recon vehicle for the chechens, taliban and insurgents, to also encourage commanders in those factions. Like a remote controlled model airplane or something like that. We just need somebody to model it.

Is it really necessary? I mean... I can understand that kind of toy for chechens (which is only semi realistic, that kind of technology is expensive and chechens always get the cheapest crap) but should taliban and insurgents really get the UAV? Do they use UAVs in RL? I guess not.... so why they should have it in PR? Only to balance the commander assets? There is no point to balance them, those factions are meant to be unbalanced when compared to any conventional forces, so why trying to balance the commander assets too?

Maybe we should let the taliban and insurgents commander to just walk around and command freely without forcing him to sit inside hideout? Because that's the point of uav, right? Increasing situational awareness of a commander.... and maybe it could be possible to code a handheld radio station so the commander screen is only available when the radio is in hand or it is used (just like cell phone, you push right mouse button and then a commander screen pops up, or you can open commander screen after that).

Both, taliban and insurgents are unconventional forces made for unconventional game mode so why they should be organized and used in the same way as other conventional forces? 8-)

dbzao
2009-07-21, 10:58
It's a valid point, that's why we said we are considering it...

ChiefRyza
2009-07-21, 11:29
Nonetheless, you coders are un-friggen-believable doing what you do stuck with bloody shell scripting! Well done!

Rudd
2009-07-21, 11:48
YouTube - Desert Hawk: A Spy in the Sky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WmsI0yWuiE)

coincidence this was put up today LOL :D

Spec
2009-07-21, 12:05
Why not have something similar but not identical for insurgents? Like... Some hidden cameras on top of high buildings, maybe just security cameras from government buildings that have been put somewhere else, or simply normal video cameras that have been stolen? Like... 7 of them, not movable (just set the speed to 0 and the life span to >9000 I guess) and on fixed positions (but on good positions, like the highest buildings in the town or something). Would just have to find out how the CO would switch between them. Or something else that isn't really a UAV but still gives a camera feed or something.

Of course the cams don't have to be stolen and could have been bought or w/e, I doubt a normal camera would be THAT expensive.

UKrealplayER666
2009-07-21, 12:09
i have a model aircraft with 3 cameras on it that could be made by a monkey let alone the taliban, all it would take is for them to purchace a small model aircraft and some cameras, the live feed would be an issue with it though as mine is wired (yes its a blody long wire)

Spaz
2009-07-21, 14:08
I got a question to people crying about flanking going to be ruined. Are you guys talking about flanking as in one squad giving cover fire and an other flanking? Or just big sneaking around the edge of the map?

Well either way non of does are going to be ruined but still. I for the squad flanking you are spotted anyway since you are actually in combat and for the walking around the map flanking the commander is not going to see everything all the time so it should not really be a big deal.

dbzao
2009-07-21, 14:53
This one in Mestia you can see that I can really only see troop movement if they are vehicles or they are out in the open.

1koY6EG8Q9g

This one in Ramiel it's a little easier to see as bots run in the middle of the street. If you were still or inside buildings it would be much harder.

2UKvDADXRd0

Hearing the sounds bellow is annoying and not sure we will be able to stop it. You can do that anyways with the commander 3rd zoom, so it's not like anything new.

And if we can't make it destroyable, we might just make it fly very high as they can irl.

Rudd
2009-07-21, 14:56
is this also hinting that PRSP is going to be realeased soon? :P

Dobson
2009-07-21, 15:18
Awh sweet, The Ramiel vid reminds me of Black hawk down where the commanders are watching the tv screens.

Saobh
2009-07-21, 15:25
I took the liberty in updating your 1st post with your added info so users don't need to go through the 13 pages to get their answers ;)

Once this is out, I'm just wondering how much time before we get someone to post a vid of themselves being put down by a heli on it and sniping on the tropps below from the UAV wings ^^

But seriously this is going to make insurgency maps so much better, Korengal is going to be intense with this. I can alreayd see the ingame messages warning that the UAV is out and to cover your movements !

J.F.Leusch69
2009-07-21, 16:54
Ragni<RangersPL>;1090232']Is it really necessary? I mean... I can understand that kind of toy for chechens (which is only semi realistic, that kind of technology is expensive and chechens always get the cheapest crap) but should taliban and insurgents really get the UAV? Do they use UAVs in RL? I guess not.... so why they should have it in PR? Only to balance the commander assets? There is no point to balance them, those factions are meant to be unbalanced when compared to any conventional forces, so why trying to balance the commander assets too?

Maybe we should let the taliban and insurgents commander to just walk around and command freely without forcing him to sit inside hideout? Because that's the point of uav, right? Increasing situational awareness of a commander.... and maybe it could be possible to code a handheld radio station so the commander screen is only available when the radio is in hand or it is used (just like cell phone, you push right mouse button and then a commander screen pops up, or you can open commander screen after that).

Both, taliban and insurgents are unconventional forces made for unconventional game mode so why they should be organized and used in the same way as other conventional forces? 8-)

that a very very good point!!

letting the CO of the insurgents and talibans walk around is good because they are not COs like the conventional forces have, they are a clan leader or simular i think so they should fight next to their brothers.

and also the idea of having them some kind of deployable "command post/ratio" is nice, and it should be able with the bf2 engine

gclark03
2009-07-21, 17:16
Let COs command from Forward Outposts. It's dangerous, but allows the CO to at least glimpse at the battle.

marcoelnk
2009-07-21, 17:18
that a very very good point!!

letting the CO of the insurgents and talibans walk around is good because they are not COs like the conventional forces have, they are a clan leader or simular i think so they should fight next to their brothers.

and also the idea of having them some kind of deployable "command post/ratio" is nice, and it should be able with the bf2 engine

Agreed x 1000

snooggums
2009-07-21, 17:30
This is awesome but I have one comment.

your first post mentioned a 10 min up and 10 minute reload time (if I remember correctly). I think the reload should be a bit longer, maybe 20-30 minutes so that it is not overused.

TurnCoat
2009-07-21, 17:54
Good job!
And what may be better?
Hmm...
1. Destructibility
Let's not by AA, we will presume that a thermal emission of UAV rather low. Heavy machineguns must destroy the UAV.
2. Launching
It's not realistic to arrive from anywhere. That UAV is no missle. Easy way - stationary catapult, for example.
3. Zoom
Zooming is very convenient for the detection of 'hidden' small single targets (snipers :D).

Spaz
2009-07-21, 18:07
2. Launching
It's not realistic to arrive from anywhere. That UAV is no missle. Easy way - stationary catapult, for example.
3. Zoom
Zooming is very convenient for the detection of 'hidden' small single targets (snipers :D).

Well if you can code it I'm sure that they will put it ingame. ;)

TurnCoat
2009-07-21, 18:16
oops :roll:

DeadSmile187
2009-07-21, 18:55
wut ? I LOVE YOU DEVS !!!!!

thats just Awesome !

McBumLuv
2009-07-21, 20:54
I suppose this is using the BF2 TV missile system, but the roll/pitch speeds have been reduced to 0, right? That's how I thought it would be done, though as it will require Commanders to still remain in their trailers I'm guessing there won't be any chance of having it go in circular pattern (I had originally though of making the yaw rate fixed, too, but I'm not sure there'd be a way of having it fly around a selected point. I had originally conceived it as an "on the field" weapon where the barrel would be about 600 meters above the player).

Otherwise, I'm really not sure if a selectable zoom would be possible, though I hope it is. However, if it isn't, I"d suggest giving it a good zoom anyways.

Looking like a good thing has [finally] come to the commander's position in a while, though :)

PS, was I the only one that though it yawed excessively fast in the video? I'll have to rewatch it and wait to see it ingame, but if it yaws slower, flying around targets would be much more doable.

dbzao
2009-07-21, 22:19
We are probably adding it to the Chechens as well since they are closer to the conventional armies but with a little poorer equipment, specially in PR, with access to all the deployable assets, tanks, apcs, etc.

To reflect that, their UAV will have a shorter fly time and worse video reception.

jvQIpke1RVM

Insurgents and Taliban won't be getting the UAV capability, but their commanders will be allowed to access the command screen from any hideout. They also will be able to deploy hideouts on their own, giving them a little more mobility. It's up to them to decide if they want to do that or if it's beneficial in any way. ;)

2009-07-21, 22:39
dbzao;1090741']their commanders will be allowed to access the command screen from any hideout.)

I'm gonna enjoy knifing the radio of a hideout with the commander in it.

single.shot (nor)
2009-07-21, 23:05
ah all this is giving me good dreams for .87

SnipeHunt
2009-07-21, 23:38
But can we deploy Fastropes from the UAV?

LOL

McBumLuv
2009-07-21, 23:55
But can we deploy Fastropes from the UAV?

LOL

No... because as this is (I presume) using the vBF2 TV missile system, you can't fire anything off of the projectile.

Though, DB, you should look at how CA implemented AG missiles and Sea Sparrows, they managed to get the missiles to shoot others down, so it's definitely possible with the UAV.

CyrusPI
2009-07-22, 00:09
Clever use of the engine. :) Very interesting approach, and a good boost for those wary commanders.

Conman51
2009-07-22, 00:56
dbzao;1090741']We are probably adding it to the Chechens as well since they are closer to the conventional armies but with a little poorer equipment, specially in PR, with access to all the deployable assets, tanks, apcs, etc.

To reflect that, their UAV will have a shorter fly time and worse video reception.

jvQIpke1RVM

Insurgents and Taliban won't be getting the UAV capability, but their commanders will be allowed to access the command screen from any hideout. They also will be able to deploy hideouts on their own, giving them a little more mobility. It's up to them to decide if they want to do that or if it's beneficial in any way. ;)

That sounds like a good way to balance it!

JDMT
2009-07-22, 01:21
Is it possible to shoot it down?

McBumLuv
2009-07-22, 01:23
Is it possible to shoot it down?

It's possible to code, if that's what you mean.

JDMT
2009-07-22, 01:26
It's possible to code, if that's what you mean.

No, on Kashan/Qinling, if you shoot it with your jet, is it going to crash?

Oddsodz
2009-07-22, 01:28
on vBF2. The UAV kills me more than J10s do when I am in my F-35B. I Do hope they will come with some sort of HUD indicator for both teams

McBumLuv
2009-07-22, 01:30
It's going to explode?

You add a collision mesh to the missile so it can be hit. That's what they did with Combined arms and it works like a charm (hitting down AG missiles with other missiles). I can't remember the specific details, but if the Devs wanted to implement it they'd only need to do it similarly to how it's done in CA.

jph701
2009-07-22, 01:46
this is so sweeeeeettt btw i got a question wat was dat vehicle da technical was following around on Ramiel? AA or APC? looked like a BRDM or something btw really nice and one more>>wherever u face the camera the UAV goes straight therE? like i mean which way the camera goes the UAV goes there too?

flickflackingfligger
2009-07-22, 02:24
this is very very cool and i cant wait till its added, i dont even mind the sound you can now relay to squads what they are gonna be up against. hopefully thats gonna cut down wasting of valuable kits:mrgreen:

DesmoLocke
2009-07-22, 04:40
2 questions:

How about a little Q Commo Rose menu for the commander markers? It would be beneficial not having to go back to the static map to place a marker. The few seconds away from the camera could mean missing valuable intel. Not that big of a deal but something to try I guess.

Will it be spawnable off of a squad leader's request? Kinda like fulfilling a supply drop in vBF2 or how arty for PR is now. This would cut down on the fly-in time from the command post. As I am sure you know, some smaller UAVs are launched in the field from a backpack and this would kinda simulate that aspect.

JDMT
2009-07-22, 06:12
I've got an idea for the INS/Taliban.

In real life, most of the civilian population is on their side, so if they see BLUFOR soldiers, they report it to the insurgents(Like in Blackhawk down). A good way to implement this into PR would be to give the Commander random intel about the enemy at random intervals.

Rudd
2009-07-22, 08:18
I've got an idea for the INS/Taliban.

In real life, most of the civilian population is on their side, so if they see BLUFOR soldiers, they report it to the insurgents(Like in Blackhawk down). A good way to implement this into PR would be to give the Commander random intel about the enemy at random intervals.

would be interesting if you got messages if enemy were detected going near landmarks: Mosques, Bridges, specific villages etc.

"The enemy are moving at X" or something.

JDMT
2009-07-22, 09:16
would be interesting if you got messages if enemy were detected going near landmarks: Mosques, Bridges, specific villages etc.

Not 100% intel either, make it like the caches, where it's estimated.

LittleFoX
2009-07-22, 10:28
I love it

=RRF=Eversmann122
2009-07-22, 10:57
ok quick question can the UAV laze targets on kashan and qinling or is that not posible because from what i can recall in RL the UAV's can lase targets for the raptors or A10's and other air to grounds jets and also for the cobra or apahe on muttrah?

JDMT
2009-07-22, 11:34
ok quick question can the UAV laze targets on kashan and qinling or is that not posible because from what i can recall in RL the UAV's can lase targets for the raptors or A10's and other air to grounds jets and also for the cobra or apahe on muttrah?

Read the original post:
dbzao;1089348']
Before anybody asks, NO, we can't make it lase anything or shoot anything. His job will be just recon. Also we couldn't make it fly in circles around a target, so you will have to fly through the area and come back, and so on.

McBumLuv
2009-07-22, 11:53
No, not with the current slow-laze box, but I think it might be possible if it were attached to a Q rose function, nay?

LithiumFox
2009-07-22, 14:48
o.o wait... why would the commander be UAV'ing... that doesn't make much sense..... *trying to be argumentative*

... i'm going to get an infraction for that comment arnt i.......

TeaTime
2009-07-22, 15:08
There should be at least 2 boats for everyone in the next version.

Anyway the UAV thing is a good idea.

IAJTHOMAS
2009-07-22, 15:23

Maybe with some kind of time as well, to simulate the 'bush telegraph' way I imagine info is relayed.

Zeno
2009-07-22, 15:51

a more realistic thing would be :

"infidels spotted at village X"

sCobra
2009-07-22, 16:10
I don't think he was saying its impossible to make it lase things, it just wouldn't be good for game balance so they aren't going to do it.

JoyRider
2009-07-22, 17:16
All the taliban got in real life is some AKs from russia and america and so big!, walkie takies

Hawk01
2009-07-22, 18:30
This is cool only one down side the position of the uav on your map so you can put the markers on the map.

EazyCurrE
2009-07-22, 18:46
awesome, I can see it now...

-"Guys! Hey guys!"
-"What?"
-"Theres a UAV in the sky."
-"Where? I don't see it."
-"Right THERE."
-"Where?"
*l33t ninja hax sneaks up from behind

CanuckCommander
2009-07-22, 18:52
Good job. Nice realistic changes. However, the BF2 default black and white looks awful. Perhaps ask Alex from CA to give you the CA FLIR..... or make your own (something to do with inverting the colors and post processing). Just anything other than the default black and white because it doesn't make anything stand out. It just makes it counterproductive to spot targets.

driver-ch-driver
2009-07-22, 19:01
this looks gr8, i look forward to using it :mrgreen:

McBumLuv
2009-07-22, 21:53
Good job. Nice realistic changes. However, the BF2 default black and white looks awful. Perhaps ask Alex from CA to give you the CA FLIR..... or make your own (something to do with inverting the colors and post processing). Just anything other than the default black and white because it doesn't make anything stand out. It just makes it counterproductive to spot targets.

Yea, completely agree, though I'd have it only capable of having FLIR if day mode was also available.

I really have no idea if it's possible, though, using the vBF2 missile system, but I wonder if the Q rose system could be useful in that way... that I'm interpreting from BF2142, though, and we all know how superior it is to BF2's engine... sooooo :p

But otherwise, if it's going to be B&W, make it FLIR imo.

sCobra
2009-07-23, 00:15
awesome, I can see it now...

-"Guys! Hey guys!"
-"What?"
-"Right THERE."
-"Where?"
*l33t ninja hax sneaks up from behind

I actually see it more like

-"Guys! Hey guys!"
-"What?"
-"There's a UAV up there!"
-"Ok..."
-"Shouldn't we do something about it?"
-"No, the commander will give them a general coordinate and they will keep looking where we've just been. Then we kill them."
-"Oh... Ok."

Tomato-Rifle
2009-07-23, 00:31
What if the both commanders on both teams have UAV up, can they collide? xD

badmojo420
2009-07-23, 00:47
Will the UAV go up and down depending on terrain elevation? For example will the hilltops on korengal be 50m from the UAV while the valley floor is 200m?

And will there be any way to identify a UAV? Perhaps if it's not on the map you could call it out with the spotted command, and if it was friendly you get the usual, but if it's an enemy UAV you get the "UAV spotted" on map and radio for whole team.

Otherwise i can see it happening more like this...

-"Guys! Hey guys!"
-"What?"
-"Right THERE."
-"I got it! WTF Team damage?"
-Commander: Your the worst squad i've ever seen

Spartan0189
2009-07-23, 02:16
(Responding to first post)
Hah, That's some classy stuff right there.

A flying boat would be win :D, that's like a small gunship with that M249 on the front :P

ChiefRyza
2009-07-23, 05:08
dbzao has already said that it will most likely not be destructible because of wait times.

Expendable Grunt
2009-07-23, 05:58
I would like to know what happens if it flies out of bounds.

M.

SWIZZ=kettcar=
2009-07-23, 06:47
looks nice

JDMT
2009-07-23, 08:48
I would like to know what happens if it flies out of bounds.

M.

Nothing, it's seen as a missile by the game. The Commander is in his trailer.

Glimmerman
2009-07-23, 08:59
I dont think that it would be realistic if insurgents/militants got UAV's, it can be easely countered by their low speed making them easy to shoot down.

JDMT
2009-07-23, 09:12
Glimmerman;1091899']I dont think that it would be realistic if insurgents/militants got UAV's, it can be easely countered by their low speed making them easy to shoot down.

Currently they aren't getting them, they we're thinking about it, but a few posts ahead, they decided the only non-conventional force that should have a UAV is the Chechens.

Orthas
2009-07-23, 10:32
Cool change, nice to see 0.87 is coming well.

My only concern is that hopefully this won't make all slow and careful flankings obsolete because somehow the mobility is just too good. It doesn't seem like it'd take much time to scan the entire map with the UAV thus revealing all "hidden" units and firebases. If it'd be possible to make it circle at fixed point it would be really cool as then the use would shift to watching a small important area instead of going around trying to find hiding things. Especially true this is for snipers and small infantry units trying to be stealthy as BF2 fails with long range model camouflage.

It's good, just hope it won't be too good.

wookimonsta
2009-07-23, 10:48
i don't quite understand why everyone is saying stealth will be so limited.

this is true yes, but thats realistic. if you are sneaking about, it also means not being able to be seen easily from the air.
the uav means stealth now requires concealment from above as well rather than just from the enemy soldiers, and this seems quite realistic to me

JeffCole
2009-07-23, 10:59
This really looks great. I hope this will encourage commanding.

Could it be possible to make the actual time to use this assed depending on the map-size?
10 minutes seem okay for the bigger maps, but on the other hand you can fly forever on a small map like Asad Khal or Ejod.

I also support longer reload times

Rudd
2009-07-23, 11:41
this'll just mean you're stealth tactics will have to change, use forest/areas where there is stuff to hide in.

I can imagine Korengal will be a blast, even as insurgent. You'll be in the village som1 will yell "UAV!!!" and you'll all scatter in to the buildings until its gone!

SFOD_F HaXXeD
2009-07-23, 14:30
What does it do if you fly it out of bounds?

JDMT
2009-07-23, 15:05
H[= HaXXeD;1092122']What does it do if you fly it out of bounds?

Nothing, it's seen as a missile by the game. The Commander is in his trailer.

I've answered this just a page ago, please stop asking this question.

DBZao, can you add it to the main post, please?

Outlawz7
2009-07-23, 15:15
this'll just mean you're stealth tactics will have to change, use forest/areas where there is stuff to hide in.

I can imagine Korengal will be a blast, even as insurgent. You'll be in the village som1 will yell "UAV!!!" and you'll all scatter in to the buildings until its gone!

Yeah, but what about Kashan, Ejod, Kufrah etc. Honestly the UAV should at least be destroyable by ground vehicles, if not infantry weapons.

Spec
2009-07-23, 15:28
I agree on destroyability. As far as Kashan goes; you could be watched by a helicopter anyway, just see the UAV as the same thing, just specialised on watching you :p

On EJOD and Kufrah it'd be a bit different, though I don't know how long these maps will stay in PR anyway, they're quite old and rather small.

JDMT
2009-07-23, 15:52
I agree on destroyability. As far as Kashan goes; you could be watched by a helicopter anyway, just see the UAV as the same thing, just specialised on watching you :p

On EJOD and Kufrah it'd be a bit different, though I don't know how long these maps will stay in PR anyway, they're quite old and rather small.

My guess would be that Al Kufrah is going first, seeing as it is symmetrical...

Man, it would suck to crash a jet into this thing.

sCobra
2009-07-23, 16:07

I don't think it'll be anything like that, unless your men are looking straight up for it.

The UAV will probably only be mentioned by the other team when everybody in the squad asks, "How did they know we were behind them?" after they have to respawn.

hiberNative
2009-07-23, 16:09
great idea! commander will be very active in marking enemy positions <3
will lag for me at ramiel, though :|

so it can get shot down by like a tunguska aav?

creepin
2009-07-23, 17:38
i think i jizzed in my pants!

Cheditor
2009-07-23, 17:53
Though to people saying well, they are going to see us easily, well thats reality for you isnt it.

Rudd
2009-07-23, 18:21
I don't think it'll be anything like that, unless your men are looking straight up for it.

The UAV will probably only be mentioned by the other team when everybody in the squad asks, "How did they know we were behind them?" after they have to respawn.

depends on if they end up putting a sound to it I guess.

I do agree with Outlawz though, that there will be scenarios where the only real way to sort this out wil be to shoot it down.

Question - I heard CA had made it so you could shoot down missiles, I do not know if it has or whatever, but possibilities?

McBumLuv
2009-07-23, 18:22
dbzao has already said that it will most likely not be destructible because of wait times.

No, not quite, unless I'm reading a different post:

dbzao;1090368']And if we can't make it destroyable, we might just make it fly very high as they can irl.

You might have gotten that from the post talking about not adding a heat source, though.

RedAlertSF
2009-07-23, 19:51
Now commanders will just be flying with their new toys, ignoring the squads.

Nah, just joking, this is great!

Montana0008
2009-07-23, 22:29
heh, videos looks awesome, I think this will make commanders to show up more often on duty.

Arnoldio
2009-07-23, 23:58
Zoom would be cool, kinda...footage on mestia reminds me of the cod4 mission with the spectre :D

oathkeeper1234
2009-07-24, 05:15
The UAV is an awesome idea and addon! Im totally for it, and if it hasnt been suggested already (sorry if it has), wouldn't it be better if when you were in the view of the UAV camera, u can right click and a menu will pop up of all the "enemy" icons just like the ones in the commander map. That way when you see an enemy, you can easily just put an icon right on that position that would be put on all the players maps. This is just an idea i think would be nice so that way you dont need to know where you are looking at, and then go to the menu and find out where you need to put the icons. It might be more realistic maybe if you dont do that though. Either way, its gona be great!

creepin
2009-07-24, 14:26
ZOMFG! he used PRSP for the mestia video!!!

awesome.

Dizakui
2009-07-24, 15:50
YouTube - PR v0.87 preview - Commander UAV in color? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08wIJIafxP8)

Found this on Youtube, will it be in colour for some factions like in this video or will it be in black and white like the other videos of it?
Either way the UAV looks fun, hope it gets a few more commanders in the game.

Spec
2009-07-24, 16:49
According to db in the vid comments, it's going to be colored for conventional forces and black/white for the chechen rebels, though that's not really official I guess.

dbzao
2009-07-24, 16:58
We are still discussing it.

Gore
2009-07-24, 17:11
Romagnolo mentioned that the sound of the UAV should be the only thing to be heard, not the stuff going on on the ground. I agree with that.

Vege
2009-07-24, 17:14
My guess would be that Al Kufrah is going first, seeing as it is symmetrical...

Man, it would suck to crash a jet into this thing.
v0.9 Map Retirement
Retire the following old maps, smallscale and no longer fit gameplay for PR. To be replaced by 5 new maps of higher calibre.
- 7 Gates
- Al Kufrah Oilfields
- EJOD Desert
- Road to Kyongan Ni
- Sunset City

Guess it's pointless to discuss about commander on those maps anymore :/

BigD Gaming Community - View Single Post - AAS is pointless IMHO, how do we fix it? (http://www.bigdgaming.net/showpost.php?p=159722&postcount=83)

ryan d ale
2009-07-24, 19:16
I don't like it. Smells like BF2. Looks good and I guess it is realistic. Each release seems more 'pwn' for Allies and less for Tali/Ins. I know other conventional factions will have it too but it's almost a joke. I have read the update about the Taliban version of this but still not buying.

It takes skill and good squad leadership and movement and throws it out of the window.

I guess I'll end up seeing how effective it is against insurgents :(

Ghost1800
2009-07-25, 08:07
v0.9 Map Retirement
Retire the following old maps, smallscale and no longer fit gameplay for PR. To be replaced by 5 new maps of higher calibre.
- 7 Gates
- Al Kufrah Oilfields
- EJOD Desert
- Road to Kyongan Ni
- Sunset City

I definitely agree with Kyongan Ni, but I find it odd that nobody ever brings up Jabal. Whoo! It survives another elimination round (hopefully).

Dug
2009-07-25, 08:57
If it's destroyable with AA.
Gues we will see much more AA kits arround.

berny
2009-07-25, 09:53
wow it´s awesome

Snazz
2009-07-25, 10:53
It takes skill and good squad leadership and movement and throws it out of the window
I don't see how, those qualities will still be rewarded as usual.

It just adds something else for the commander to do, provided there is a commander.

Even if the commander could really see everything that's going on they still have to relay all that information quickly and effectively or else it won't have any impact on the battle.

It's nothing like BF2 UAV either, this is far more realistic and balanced due to the commander having to actually spot targets using a camera. Not to mention that BF2's cheap UAV magically reveals covered/indoor targets.

[wow]titan
2009-07-25, 16:53
a have little suggestion for you guys

make a spot menu like VBF2 (no one in BF2 use it but it very good for PR)
spot menu calls when u push Q then Right mouse button
its will be very helpful for commander since no UAV icon

sorry for bad english :smile:

The_Blitzcraig
2009-07-25, 19:09
I hope they dont make it invincible. It should be able to be shot down by some well aimed bursts from a technical. Im not saying it should be a piece of cake to kill (just make it fly at a nice high altitude where it is relatively safe from small arms). So there can be a counter to it but it wont be easy.

Gosu-Rizzle
2009-07-26, 12:17
Damn guys, that looks great! This is exactly what we need, people will actually WANT to be commander now :P
Great work, keep it up!

|TG-69th|Wookie
2009-07-26, 15:00
very nice

SocketMan
2009-07-27, 08:29
Interesting concept, from a variety of angles.Does this increase the possibility
of UAV/Comander hacks (what ever you call a 100 of these flying around) appearing on the public servers?
Not sure about the specifics but if something is "not there" (in game) you can't have
more of it (0*100=0),however if there is 1 or 2 it's a different story is it not?

Anyway, as far as Taliban,Chechens and Insurgents using these -- don't you
need fuel/electricity/service/facilities etc.....to run these? Probably wont make it far enough on just pure faith to the all mighty.

From what I saw in the videos -you see something down below,then you mark it on the map -which means you (CO) don't need your SL's (as much) for that particular task.
It will definitely get more people applying for the CO position,to "test" the new toy.
I mean spelling "LOL I am stupid" with the mine icons for all the people to see is not
"cool" anymore :-P

DannyIMK
2009-07-30, 16:52
nice! there should be different types of UAV's depending on the map.
Big UAV's for big maps like kashan, and they could have lasing or rockets
And Small UAV's for small maps and urban maps in the city, without rockets and lasing.
Insurgents/Taliban/Chechen should have homemade uavs, like a toy copter with camera (or something like that) and it couldn't fly very far or high or fast and will be destroyable, but with small respawn time

and there should be automaticlly spotting like in vanilla with commo rose

EvilWaffles
2009-07-30, 17:00
Looks like a cool addition

Stokes52
2009-08-01, 00:25
This is so awesome! Exactly the kind of thing I was proposing in my commander discussion thread. Its great to see the devs already have some of the same ideas in mind. With this tool I know that personally I'll be spending a lot of time in the commander seat. I enjoy it already, but this really helps the immersion factor of playing as the commander IMO.

Mad-Mike
2009-08-01, 07:29
This will make alot more ppl want to be commander now :D Good Work!

McBumLuv
2009-08-01, 16:14
SocketMan;1094993']Interesting concept, from a variety of angles.Does this increase the possibility
of UAV/Comander hacks (what ever you call a 100 of these flying around) appearing on the public servers?
Not sure about the specifics but if something is "not there" (in game) you can't have
more of it (0*100=0),however if there is 1 or 2 it's a different story is it not?

Anyway, as far as Taliban,Chechens and Insurgents using these -- don't you
need fuel/electricity/service/facilities etc.....to run these? Probably wont make it far enough on just pure faith to the all mighty.

From what I saw in the videos -you see something down below,then you mark it on the map -which means you (CO) don't need your SL's (as much) for that particular task.
It will definitely get more people applying for the CO position,to "test" the new toy.
I mean spelling "LOL I am stupid" with the mine icons for all the people to see is not
"cool" anymore :-P

It shouldn't increase the UAV hacks appearing, if simply because these UAVs are "missiles" and controlled via a weapon reload time.

Rudd
2009-08-01, 18:58
I commanded last night on RT, pwned up thanks to iSooth and his armoured column, but this tool would have made the game far more fluid :)

JERICHO777
2009-08-02, 00:08
I love this mod)))))

MrApache
2009-08-02, 02:47
I might have a friend who can model a remote control airplane for the insurgents

Expendable Grunt
2009-08-02, 09:32
But we'll never know because you are banned :p

HOWEVER, I think the current system for the insurgents is better anyway; the informant system and all.

M.

jayceon515
2009-08-02, 12:05
This is the difference between having a CO or not. Just awesome:smile:

But I really hope insurgents and Taliban won't get anything similar since that would be really unrealistic and it would ruin the asymetrical balance we can enjoy on insurgency maps right now. They should use ground recon instead.

Adetter
2009-08-02, 13:02
Maybe put in a zoom in/out function............Like the tank,when u press "X".....

Onil
2009-08-02, 14:54
nice improvement for the CO but i still think that 10 mins for refuel is absurd if it's flying so slow and at far distance from an airfield. Plus it will be overused and totally remove the need for recon. I would say, make it 20 mins of wait before you can reuse it and 5 to 10 minutes of air time depending on map size.

Expendable Grunt
2009-08-02, 17:00
There never was a reason for "recon" squads, ever.

M.

Howitzer
2009-08-02, 17:17
i think he means recon/sniper/observers

Rudd
2009-08-02, 17:28

M.

I would disagree

One of the reasons convoys in PR would fail (there are a few reasons) instead of pwning, which they do if people do their jobs, is that there was no recon for the convoy.

The upside of the convoy is that you can quickly bring huge amounts of firepower to bear

teh downside is that few enemies can engage many of you sucessfully under the right circumstances.

So a sniper team in teh Convoy's route or (preferable) a Recon Aircraft, the LB or whatever, shadowing teh convoy and keeping a watch out for around 100m past the view distance helps bring the convoy tactic in to its own.

Scot
2009-08-02, 17:30
I would disagree

One of the reasons convoys in PR would fail (there are a few reasons) instead of pwning, which they do if people do their jobs, is that there was no recon for the convoy.

The upside of the convoy is that you can quickly bring huge amounts of firepower to bear

teh downside is that few enemies can engage many of you sucessfully under the right circumstances.

So a sniper team in teh Convoy's route or (preferable) a Recon Aircraft, the LB or whatever, shadowing teh convoy and keeping a watch out for around 100m past the view distance helps bring the convoy tactic in to its own.

Where'd you get that idea?? :lol:

Rudd
2009-08-02, 20:56
Scot;1100862']Where'd you get that idea?? :lol:

TG saw it done on Kashan on the US team, tanks APCs, Infantry all moving together under air cover.

Again on Qinling, TG agian, with Apaches covering, pwning all the stuff in our way :D

like a huge battering ram.

[Fr]WhiteMoon
2009-08-02, 23:41
When reading title of this new, I wasn't really enthusiast, feared it looks like too much the old system.

But it seems to be really well thought, integrating the gameplay with enough balance to keep the game as enjoyable than it is now without UAV.

My only regrets will be difficulty to switch for the camera to the map and identify the exact position as chosing the right asset description. That's a full job during the flight and it will complicate the implacation of the commander in his role.

It would be so simplest if we could right clic directly in the camera on the object to signal, choose the right description, and then the game take car of placing it on the map at the same location as the mouse on the camera.
I'm feared it would be harcoding to do.

(sorry if has already benn suggested, I can't find it in the thread)

Anyway, great job, keep going !

DDS
2009-08-04, 15:42
WhiteMoon;1101133']When reading title of this new, I wasn't really enthusiast, feared it looks like too much the old system.

But it seems to be really well thought, integrating the gameplay with enough balance to keep the game as enjoyable than it is now without UAV.

My only regrets will be difficulty to switch for the camera to the map and identify the exact position as chosing the right asset description. That's a full job during the flight and it will complicate the implacation of the commander in his role.

It would be so simplest if we could right clic directly in the camera on the object to signal, choose the right description, and then the game take car of placing it on the map at the same location as the mouse on the camera.
I'm feared it would be harcoding to do.

(sorry if has already benn suggested, I can't find it in the thread)

Anyway, great job, keep going !

Having played these maps multiple times I wouldn't have any problem identifying locations after switching to the fixed map. You could also do a screen shot if you spotted an enemy out post or defensive position and use that as a reference.

I'd like to see this integrated and see the commanders role become popular again.. I'm seeing fewer and fewer commanders as of late which means less team teamplay.

DDS

Scot
2009-08-04, 15:47
TG saw it done on Kashan on the US team, tanks APCs, Infantry all moving together under air cover.

Again on Qinling, TG agian, with Apaches covering, pwning all the stuff in our way :D

like a huge battering ram.

I was thinking more Black Hawk Down with the Littlebirds, sorry that was the first thing that came to mind!! :p

McBumLuv
2009-08-04, 15:54
Scot;1102721']I was thinking more Black Hawk Down with the Littlebirds, sorry that was the first thing that came to mind!! :p

Yea, that's exactly what I infered :P

Anyways, back-to-topic, I can't wait to try out this bad boy.

RedemptionAD
2009-08-04, 16:03
will you be able to zoom in or zoom out???

Heikkine
2009-08-05, 21:31
this makes me want to scream: dont spawn at unknown caches! :D very nice work, 100% approved!

Onil
2009-08-07, 03:00

M.

maybe in your usual public gaming there isn't... doesn't mean that it isn't effective and sometimes needed depending on how organized the gameplay is.

wookimonsta
2009-08-07, 09:09
i do recon squad quite a lot, if there is a commander, i will tell him where the enemy is. if there isn't i will try to talk directly to the squads that have armor or helis.

and every now and then i will snipe a hat kit trying to fire at one of our armor

MrScruff
2009-08-07, 09:49
wookimonsta what servers do you play on?