PDA

View Full Version : Australian military slang

anglomanii
2009-07-11, 14:26
Australian military slang

what kind of slang do you think would make this faction even more unique.

this covers alot but i dont know how much is still used
Appendix:Australian English military slang - Wiktionary (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Australian_military_slang)

what kind of chatter is currently used?

Tonnie
2009-07-11, 14:33
just remember tho we dont wanna over do like a hard day on bluey

EDIT:
after reading through that theres many words commonly used still

"Choco - (Pronounced "Cho-cko") A "chocolate soldier". First used in World War 2 to describe CMF units joining the AIF units in the war in Papua New Guinea. Many interpretations of the name's origin include the AIF belief they would melt like chocolate in battle or the fact that they were constantly caked in mud. The name has continued on, referring to current Reservists."

WRONG... reserves are chocos coz back in the day chocos were mainly (and still are mainly) underage recruits and when the boys went for beers they had choco drinks hence the name choco formed

EDIT:
Ok so looked thro it more closely theres really not much in there that can be implemented into game maybe these ones:

Drop short - Artillery
Digger – A soldier in the Australian Army, for example Look after your diggers, Lieutenant. Term comes from the Anzacs.
Harden Up - A standard response to whinging or complaining, telling a person to shut up and get on with the job. Often provided in imaginary consumable form, e.g. here's a harden-up pill or have a can of harden-up.
Jack – To be selfish or to go it alone, for example Don't jack on your mates!, Going Jack, or Stop being jack and give us a hand. The term comes from digger jack...he didn’t put in.
Scablifter - A medic.

Next thing tho is finding someone todo some voice recording... Maybe we could round up the brizzy boys and hire a sound recording studio for a couple hrs might work what you rekon

VisOne
2009-07-11, 15:01
I would be in on it mate I'm sure there are plenty of others as well. ;)
However I would leave most of the oker-ism out of it.

Tonnie
2009-07-11, 15:12
I would be in on it mate I'm sure there are plenty of others as well. ;)
However I would leave most of the oker-ism out of it.

yeah i know lol... i might post something on bigd (http://www.bigdgaming.net/index.php) too

stozzcheese
2009-07-11, 16:36
instead of having the medic say "ok buddy, now get back to the fight!" have him say "harden up son! now piss off"

Mary.au
2009-07-11, 17:10
instead of having the medic say "ok buddy, now get back to the fight!" have him say "harden up son! now piss off"

I lol'd quite a bit there.

anglomanii
2009-07-12, 00:40
i might have an option, for us when it comes to recording voices, i am talking to the media relations dept at the ADF, and am waiting on a call back, we might be able to record actual ADF voice actors.
also i am working with a guy that has an interest in amateur audio recording,(he's done work on a couple of half life mods) if i cant get him to help, or if that fails i might be able to at least get him to point us in the right direction.
and i am trying to get a bloke i know to "lend" me a copy of his professional audio suite.

i wasn't going to say anything before because i have nothing positive yet, and it might all just completely fall through, but if every one uses every option we have we might be able to through something together.

mind you if you can get hold enough people and a studio, i am in for that..
i can help with logistics.(beer and pies) i dont know if my voice is truely manly enough? lol

do you have a list of what needs to be recorded yet?

Tonnie
2009-07-12, 01:55
the list is HUGE i have spent about 45min so far going over them thinking of good ones...

Heres an idea, If anyone has any ideas for voices post in here so like i would need:
vbf2 words: "blablablabla"
Aussie Versison: "oi! get ur ass here scaby" (btw for those non military types scaby is another word for medic)

ReadMenace
2009-07-12, 01:58
What is a Tonnie? ;)

-REad

Tonnie
2009-07-12, 02:06
there is no definition of tonnie :P

Kenny
2009-07-12, 02:17
Tonnie: Modling and mapping god.

That sounds about right

Proff3ssorXman
2009-07-12, 02:34
1 tonner is a type of ute...

anglomanii
2009-07-25, 13:02
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt50/anglomanii/P1050511.jpg

the faces of the voices of the ADF Faction, here's the challenge can you put names to the faces?

notable quotes: "charter boat....what charter boat" and "you take one more step soldier and I'll shout you myself"

to every one that missed the day, "SUCKERS" :15_cheers

Tonnie
2009-07-25, 15:01
dam right! anyone guess's me wrong i kill ya

Blade.3510
2009-07-25, 15:36
Tonnie;1093728']dam right! anyone guess's me wrong i kill ya

the one with the mexico shirt? :mrgreen:

Tonnie
2009-07-25, 16:47
the one with the mexico shirt? :mrgreen:

is it that obvious

Snazz
2009-07-25, 17:06
What narrows it down is that most of them look like me only tanned, hence unfit gamers who're unlikely to have served in the past year or so. ;)

Rudd
2009-07-25, 17:42
How did you recruit them? Are they all PR gamers or just mates?

AncientMan
2009-07-25, 17:48
Call for all brisbane boys!!! ADF voices - BigD Gaming Community (http://www.bigdgaming.net/showthread.php?t=7848)

UncleSmek
2009-07-25, 17:55
SO we get to hear the samples in like a week or so? :)

Snazz
2009-07-25, 18:16
I'm guessing the last major step to release is maps now.

I understand there's some other work to finish too, but Tonnie creates assets quickly and Chuc animates in his sleep. :)

Tonnie
2009-07-25, 18:37
chuc does not animate weapons, weapons animate for chuc

Kenny
2009-07-26, 01:18
I'm guessing the last major step to release is maps now.

I understand there's some other work to finish too, but Tonnie creates assets quickly and Chuc animates in his sleep. :)

Tonnies right and Chuc does not sleep he waits

12uke
2009-07-26, 08:59
We are all PR gamers from Brisbane. I can't wait for the testing.

Tonnie
2009-07-30, 13:25
We are all PR gamers from Brisbane. I can't wait for the testing.

testing might get bumped back now untill we filter out a few bugs ;) BTW ppl this is our commander ^^^^^^