PDA

View Full Version : Scimitars and other "IFV"s

Royal_marine_machine
2009-05-18, 19:45
I'm not sure about other so called "Infantry Fighting Vehicles" but the scimitar tank's almost sole role is Recon.

Reconnaissance - British Army Website (http://www.army.mod.uk/armoured/role/2044.aspx)

The tank is quite small and so can hide, and noise doesn't make a difference, as if you hear a scimitar/apc/tank all you know is "theres some form of enemy armour around here..."

It's got "enough firepower to get you too a good Recon position, and, just, enough to get you out."

Any crewman looking to prove themselves - use the scimitar as recon succsessfully.

Rudd
2009-05-18, 20:39
I wish it could laser :P (if it can IRL ofc)

.:iGi:.Super_Timo and (someone who I forget) were doing scimmi recon on al kufrah Campaign 6 Project Reality Tourney. They found the entire enemy team huddled around a command post (back when you had to set it urself)

gazzthompson
2009-05-18, 21:20
fools road was epic for recon with scimitar

Royal_marine_machine
2009-05-18, 21:27
The Gunner can irl :P

Theres a big red button you press (from memory of my day with the Queens Royal Lancers lol)

Also the commander can take control of the turret xD

Hitman.2.5
2009-05-18, 22:00
I wish it could laser :P (if it can IRL ofc)

.:iGi:.Super_Timo and (someone who I forget) were doing scimmi recon on al kufrah Campaign 6 Project Reality Tourney. They found the entire enemy team huddled around a command post (back when you had to set it urself)

I was his gunner we manage to sneak round there flank and take out some very troublesome units and we got chased and i cant remember the outcome

Was very fun XD good old UK on kufrah

Rudd
2009-05-18, 22:51
Was very fun XD good old UK on kufrah

Rest in peace my darling.

Rest in peace.

TheLean
2009-06-08, 10:14
Does the scimitar have penetration on tanks anywhere?

Solid Knight
2009-06-08, 10:35
Recon gets you killed on Insurgency. You're better off hammering away at insurgent strong holds and covering infantry, than you roaming around looking for random people around the map to report on.

To be honest, few maps are big enough to make "recon" a useful function of armor or any other vehicle. Scout helictopers makes sense as they can get high and get in and out really quick but an IFV doesn't. If you're spotted (and you will get spotted given how small maps are) you'll have every guy with an AT weapon coming for you. On insurgency you're just asking to get car bombed.

In real life it makes sense because battlefields can be hundreds of miles. In PR battlefields aren't large enough to really make reconiassance worthwhile for IFVs.

driver-ch-driver
2009-06-15, 17:05
ive always liked scimitars....i was in one once and everything8-) although being in a challenger 2 aswell that day kind of overshadowed it:grin:

Rudd
2009-06-15, 17:06
Scimmys are actually the ideal vehicle to cover the Tank :) for those bombcars it misses

HunterBoh
2009-12-04, 16:33
If my memory serves me right the vehicle your talking about is called a Sabre. Being an ex scimitar commander and Scorpion Gunner/Operator stuck with manual gun controls and my brain being the fire control system lol:lol: