View Full Version : [Weapon] M252 81mm Mortar

Matrox
2009-01-25, 16:14
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/9020/59133056lg8.jpg
http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/2258/35529163eh9.jpg

Model - [R-Dev]Wybl (retired)
Texture - [R-Dev]Matrox
Further texture advice - the IRC crew :razz:

Originally modelled by [R-Dev] Wybl, this is my going away present before I leave for a 3 month stint in Shanghai, China.

We have been investigating methods of utilising this model into PR's gameplay. one idea is to have it simply as a commander deployable asset, as a mortar pit. Players then have a choice of marker rounds and mortar rounds. A spotter will have to "walk on" the mortar team by seeing where the marker rounds fall in relation to the target. To say it would require good squad communication and a large element of teamwork would be putting it mildly!

Due the complexity of the system though, it is more than likely that this will be a v0.9+ asset, possibly even v1.0 if it comes in at all.

So this could be goodbye for a few months people, (depending on internet connectivity in Shanghai etc etc.) If any of our community are in Shanghai, feel free to hit me up whilst im out there!

Also remember guys, it does pay to sometimes be in the Project Reality IRC channel, you never know what your going to find out!

Thanks for playing 0.85!

Matrox.

Spaz
2009-01-25, 16:18
Looking good mate :) Have fun in China.

cyberzomby
2009-01-25, 16:20
haha cool! Will install IRC than ;)

Nice gift and it looks good! Good luck in China! Say Yes and Thank you a lot and you will be ok! (southpark pun)

Eddiereyes909
2009-01-25, 16:21
Looks great!

Have fun in china.

LtSoucy
2009-01-25, 16:22
looks awesome. And have fun.

Expendable Grunt
2009-01-25, 16:23
:D

:|

^-^

M.

Cptkanito
2009-01-25, 16:23
Looks sweet! thats gotta hurt... :(

torenico
2009-01-25, 16:24
Have fun in China.. and very nice mortar!

IAJTHOMAS
2009-01-25, 16:26
moar(tar)! :D

Rudd
2009-01-25, 16:27
wow!

I wonder what kind of ingame range you'll put on this, since it can fire straight accross a whole map right? are there accuracy penalties to that?

Would be interesting if the ins got this on the back of a technical or somthing, so they can move it around.

What of offmap support then? Will mortars be replaced with something else, or will they suppliment the ingame mortar

I know you guys aren't putting this in for a while, but I bet you've chatted about this kinda stuff.

Anyway, lovely model and skin.

marcoelnk
2009-01-25, 16:35
Nice work

VoXiNaTiOn
2009-01-25, 16:44
Looking good, have fun in China!

NickO
2009-01-25, 16:59
Epicness

Caboosehatesbabies
2009-01-25, 16:59
I think this would be great! Have three of them set up around a FB or a hideout, have a mortor squad where the SL sneaks near a target and gives compas direction and distance. There should be a crosshair on the mortor that actually tells you, in hundreds of meters, how far you're shooting, though that might only be possible at a set screen resolution.

I can see it now. "Squad, enemy firebase sighted. Placing marker, adjust for distance, fire test round 1." .... "1, up alittle, left alittle. Test fire 2." ... "two up alittle. Testfire 3."... "Three, just abit right. Fire for effect" .... "One, up alittle more, keep firing.... there, all rounds hitting."

Ragni<RangersPL>
2009-01-25, 17:09
Textured.... finally :lol:

Outlawz7
2009-01-25, 17:09
Is this the same model that was already in 0.6 beta? I remember people carrying pale untextured mortar tubes around 7 Gates :p

Rhino
2009-01-25, 17:13
Outlawz;915760']Is this the same model that was already in 0.6 beta? I remember people carrying pale untextured mortar tubes around 7 Gates :p

yes, its been a low priority element to the game.

supahpingi
2009-01-25, 17:22
Matrox;915686']

it is more than likely that this will be a v0.9+ asset, possibly even v1.0 if it comes in at all.

thats not a good sign

mp5punk
2009-01-25, 17:28
Yea nice model texture and color and have fun in china.

Colonelcool125
2009-01-25, 17:30
Love the mortar. Had a lengthly argument about it on IRC.

Have a good time in China. I'll still be 125% cool when you get back:).

hall0
2009-01-25, 17:51
Nice one

SpectreRSG
2009-01-25, 18:14
Very nice! Have fun out there.

McBumLuv
2009-01-25, 18:18
Nice textures, I'll be looking forward to seeing it ingame hopefully. Have fun in China :p

JacenSolo
2009-01-25, 18:40
Very nice and very cool!! Good luck in china ;).

rangedReCon
2009-01-25, 19:08
Tip for going to China, if you aren't keen on eating strange things don't ask for specials. Cool model!

Zrix
2009-01-25, 19:45
Looking good. Do want ingame :D

Good luck in China.

ReaperMAC
2009-01-25, 20:07
Awesome... MORTAR COMBAT!!!

Rezza
2009-01-25, 20:24
Yeah!! WoW

Sadist_Cain
2009-01-25, 21:15
Matrox;915686']
We have been investigating methods of utilising this model into PR's gameplay. one idea is to have it simply as a commander deployable asset, as a mortar pit. Players then have a choice of marker rounds and mortar rounds. A spotter will have to "walk on" the mortar team by seeing where the marker rounds fall in relation to the target. To say it would require good squad communication and a large element of teamwork would be putting it mildly!

Pub Server; GIVE IT TO ME! see what we can do :P

jbgeezer
2009-01-25, 21:39
Very nice.

shifty66
2009-01-25, 22:24
Really is so farking cool. I have so much fun using the Anti tank guns on the maps now.

Im gonna love being on a mortar team.

Guess thats what happens when alot of your mates are in artillery in the army ;)

Jigsaw
2009-01-25, 22:35
Excellent model and textures and could be a seriously interesting new addition for the future.

Nice work :D

Howitzer
2009-01-25, 22:59
Really is so farking cool. I have so much fun using the Anti tank guns on the maps now.

Im gonna love being on a mortar team.

Guess thats what happens when alot of your mates are in artillery in the army ;)

Guess what will happen when a real life artillerymen will jump on it :mrgreen:

But Imho , a mortar isnt realy an artillery system
its much like an indirect firing infantry weapon

But its pretty dwmn close loll

Spec
2009-01-25, 23:12
There it is again, the beauty. Good job once again :) IRC ftw^^

General Dragosh
2009-01-25, 23:12

Howziter = Load the gum, fire, and have a nice tea time in the hut

Mortar = Load, fire, and have a nice tea time in the open

So u see they are very similar :mrgreen:

stozzcheese
2009-01-25, 23:23
haha awesome work. this would be good on maps like 7 gates i reckon.
and have fun in china mate!

steve_06-07
2009-01-25, 23:48
Hey when you get to china see if you can snoop around a little to find info on their military.

Ricardo-SC
2009-01-26, 00:46
Simply beautiful, very good job, congratulations!:grin:

CodeRedFox
2009-01-26, 00:52
I can finally replace the non textured version :-P

Just realize this wont be a Desert Combat kinda mortar (i.e. shoot it at people in front of you). Were currently working on the who, what, and wheres of how this works. But we wont be spilling any beans for while. And because PR cant have 16k maps we will make a system that is fair yet rewarding (but not in a noob kinda way).

Input is great but realize there not much to discuss until/if we unveil the project.

crazy11
2009-01-26, 01:15
Looking good!

agentscar
2009-01-26, 01:57
Nice model and texture..Hope it'll make it in eventually. :)
I support it being a deployable asset.

McBumLuv
2009-01-26, 02:44
CodeRedFox;916340']I can finally replace the non textured version :-P

Just realize this wont be a Desert Combat kinda mortar (i.e. shoot it at people in front of you). Were currently working on the who, what, and wheres of how this works. But we wont be spilling any beans for while. And because PR cant have 16k maps we will make a system that is fair yet rewarding (but not in a noob kinda way).

Input is great but realize there not much to discuss until/if we unveil the project.

Hmmm, I was wondering how in FH2, there's the dial to the left that shows degrees, right? Maybe we could get it to the point where it does that, and we know how far it'll be launched per each degree, roughly. Glad this is being looked into though :D

Froztbyte
2009-01-26, 02:58
Man that looks sweet dude,
Enjoy china :D

DeadSmile187
2009-01-26, 05:42
Sweet :D i hope you DEVS put Smoke Shells inside for the Mortar :P

cyberzomby
2009-01-26, 08:29
yep :) Hope it wont be like in castle wolfenstein enemy territory! And Im not that sure im looking forward to some indirect spam fire to ruin your assault or defense! :P I know its real and all, just saying it could be abused or really annoying :P :P (nah just whinig! How cool will it be to actually be able to call in mortar support trough the commander and go: DANGER CLOSE DAMNIT! 20 degrees further!)

ghOst819
2009-01-26, 08:39
My wish has come true.Good work guys

shifty66
2009-01-26, 08:53

Sweet mate im guessing your Canadian artillery? Beautiful always need more gun bunnies :)

Glimmerman
2009-01-26, 09:25
WOW, look really nice, this would be awesome to make as a buildable object for near the firebase :)

para_hjs
2009-01-26, 09:31
16 rounds/minute?

frankboer
2009-01-26, 10:02
Awesome now all we need is de M109 Paladin and we'll all redefine the term 'Teamwork'

:)

George
2009-01-26, 10:56
Does any one else think mortars will cause a tactical revolution?,

Rolling barrages anybody?
Imagine dropping mortar bombs on a flag for 1 minute while simultaneously an infantry squad advances, reaching the flag just as the mortars stop falling, with NO casualties! :grin:

Substantial Smoke Screening
Got a large expanse of cover and concealment free desert? No problem, if each smoke mortar bomb is equivalent to, in size at least 2 smoke 40mm grenade launcher shells, and we drop 4/5, that's alot of concealment! :grin:

2 Minor repeated before details but with a new Phenomenal result!

_FB deployable (not main base)
_Had a range of a 750m (cirlce of radius 750 around the mortar),

This would Force players defending a flag to employ more flexible defences, where they have to send out patrols in area around the flag, searching for enemy FBs and the mortars located close by.

Would this mean an End of camping forever?
Players would no longer be able to hold on to a flag by just sitting on it with a machine gun! Because unless they got off their asses and sent out some patrols they would soon have mortars bombs knocking on their door!

Think YOU could organize half of the players defending a flag to dig in while getting the other half to go on patrol? :wink:

So who else sees the new and exciting tactics mortars will bring to PR?

Hitman.2.5
2009-01-26, 12:07
Wa hey bout time IMO, you could use the way of aimimg the mortar on FH2 that worked pretty well, or you could just use the 100m, 150m, 200m...

Mayby a range of 1500m would be substantial? but thts me

Hitman.2.5
2009-01-26, 12:08
[B]So who else sees the new and exciting tactics mortars will bring to PR?

Epic win?

Hitman.2.5
2009-01-26, 12:09
Would this also be mounted in the back of a stryker?

fuzzhead
2009-01-26, 15:57
aimimg the mortar on FH2 that worked pretty well,

In order to be added to PR, the aiming system would have to be much more robust to the FH2 system, that system is completely unacceptable in a PR gameplay, sorry.

Tirak
2009-01-26, 16:32
fuzzhead;916914']In order to be added to PR, the aiming system would have to be much more robust to the FH2 system, that system is completely unacceptable in a PR gameplay, sorry.

Is it the right click to see target area thing? If so, that's not so much a problem, removing that would a realistic and teamwork building way of doing it. SL lases target, Mortar team receives Coords and fires their barrage, SL radios back effect on target, rinse and repeat the PR way :D Maybe also add a CO designate system as well.

M.Warren
2009-01-26, 16:54
CodeRedFox;916340']Just realize this wont be a Desert Combat kinda mortar (i.e. shoot it at people in front of you). Were currently working on the who, what, and wheres of how this works. But we wont be spilling any beans for while. And because PR cant have 16k maps we will make a system that is fair yet rewarding (but not in a noob kinda way).

That takes me back... Although I never used the Mortars like that, I was much more intrested in the M270 MLRS and the M-109 Paladin. Artillery was one of my most favorite assets, even to the point that I enjoyed it much more than flying aircraft in that game.

Problem was that you always needed someone to spot targets with binoculars. The fact of needing a spotter wasn't the bad thing. It was just that the majority of the time the spotter was sighting targets that were too far away to see or the angle was bad.

... Of course, playing Omaha Beach and parking the Fletcher 2 all the way at the bottom of the map and lobbing shells towards the very top 2nd tier was a lot of fun. Everyone was like "ZOMG how's he getting those SHELLZ UP HEAR!11!one!!oneone!!11!"

fuzzhead;916914']In order to be added to PR, the aiming system would have to be much more robust to the FH2 system, that system is completely unacceptable in a PR gameplay, sorry.

I'm assuming that if memory serves me well, FH2 had made an offshoot of the BF1942/Desert Combat artillery perspective. Essentially elevating a camera above the spotter and it tracks incoming projectiles towards the target.

Was always fun to watch the effects. But I certainly can do without.

Of course, atleast this will give Combat Engineers something to do in the meantime. You won't always be in a position to deploy mines and there is significant down-time after building all the assets. It then comes down to vehicle repairs and twiddling your thumbs, which is fine by me. I'd certainly enjoy manning a Mortar to pass the time by.

xatu miller
2009-01-26, 17:11
Looks great!

markonymous
2009-01-26, 17:59
Looks awesome

Ainslie
2009-01-26, 18:41
Schweet.

sakils2
2009-01-26, 19:29
OVEKILL.

A little suggestion. Can the mortars be a deployable assest. Officers will need to place them. Maximum range from the FB, lets say, 50 metres.

sakils2
2009-01-26, 19:30
When there will be edit button....

*OVERKILL, *asset.

PFunk
2009-01-26, 19:34
Would be great if you could make it so that you needed to dial in grid references and that there was a master list and artillery map that you needed. Could see people having printed pages for every map.

Makes me think of how you see people print off topographical maps for IL-2 Sturmovik so that they can do dead reckoning without the ingame.

very interested in where this goes.

SocketMan
2009-01-27, 00:55
Looks good but you know people will abuse it anyway they can:

hitting the main bases,runways,spawning assets etc..

PFunk
2009-01-27, 02:22

Would there be anyway then to cause any rounds which enter the main base area to vanish? Bubble of oblivion over those areas? Dunno if thats possible though. With good admin though it'd be dead easy to regulate that. Mortar shell lands in maine base and admin warns the player manning it, happens again and he's kicked from the server.

Tirak
2009-01-27, 02:28

By that logic, PR should ban firearms of every kind :roll:

master of the templars
2009-01-27, 03:59

i believe the devs could make a defensive shell that stops mortar rounds like they did with AA taking out choppers on carriers. its like a shield but only stops AA. same could be done with mortars and Un-cappable flags.

Well i read some where that that is how it works.

SocketMan
2009-01-27, 10:00
Would there be anyway then to cause any rounds which enter the main base area to vanish? Bubble of oblivion over those areas? Dunno if thats possible though. With good admin though it'd be dead easy to regulate that. Mortar shell lands in maine base and admin warns the player manning it, happens again and he's kicked from the server.

Shield up! Red alert! All hands battle stations;)
People will probably cry: "that's not reality":p
You know how some of us are never happy.

By that logic, PR should ban firearms of every kind :roll:

Well we have collaborators,without any firearms.:razz:
Maybe it's the first step.:grin::shock:

i believe the devs could make a defensive shell that stops mortar rounds like they did with AA taking out choppers on carriers. its like a shield but only stops AA. same could be done with mortars and Un-cappable flags.

Yea they (DEVelopers) find a way usually.
Could place assets in the bunkers or some kind of cover.
It works both ways too - if you're not vulnerable at your main (or whatever) you can now fire mortars from there without any retaliation other then getting kicked by the server rules.People have been doing this with attack choppers already:hanging over the carrier and fire
at the map marker Beyond Visual Range - missiles or bullets don't
stop or disappear from the "world" like in vBF2.Some players are very good at it.
Missiles/shells/rockets/bullets gop right across the map - which is great imo but:
when AA fires back they hit the transport
and not the attack chopper and (AA crew) end up getting kicked from the server.
Is that really fair?:-? Probably not.

What I meant in the other post was this: every time you have assets spawning at the known place and time it's very easy to "learn" the distance/angle needed for whatever weapon (that is capable of reaching it)before the battle even starts,thus defeating the whole purpose of
having a (mortar) spotter/coordinator who would call in the random "field" targets.

BTW has anyone tried using the ZIS cannons as Artillery on Fools Road?
Get 5 guys to man the cannons at Chechen (Militia) main have the SL
spot near the hilltop (or thereabouts)and place the attack marker on the map.5 of these going at the same time is something special.
The only trouble is that you have to fire in the straight lane and
can't really hit any CP's other then the hilltop (partially)
Great for morale thou:razz:

HeXeY
2009-01-27, 11:55
In order to avoid rape the FB's could be set to be a minimum distance from enemy main, and have a max range on the mortars so they couldn't "land" in the enemies main base

Tirak
2009-01-27, 13:15
In order to avoid rape the FB's could be set to be a minimum distance from enemy main, and have a max range on the mortars so they couldn't "land" in the enemies main base

Who cares about Base Rape, it's a legitimate tactic on some servers.

Hitman.2.5
2009-01-27, 13:36
ove the spotter and it tracks incoming projectiles towards the target.

Was always fun to watch the effects. But I certainly can do without.

i just ment the degree dials

Matrox
2009-01-27, 13:52
Like I said earlier guys, and a few devs have posted in before, we still are in very early stages, no point arguing about it (yet). Save that for when we release a video of it in action ;p

Rangu
2009-01-27, 13:59
WOW, Kewl! :D

Zi8
2009-01-27, 17:12
Nice job, I served as mortar team squad leader and cant wait to get those tubes to PR too!

And have nice time in China (like me atm), the girls there really like foreigners ^^

scandhi
2009-01-27, 18:25
Looking good. Will continue to monitor this! :-D

Noobcleaner
2009-01-28, 14:26
LOL. This is taken from Farcry 2

Rhino
2009-01-28, 14:42

we dont take/steal any thing... This model was made over a year ago before FC2 was out, they may have the same type mortar in it I dunno but if so, its not the same model...

SuperTimo
2009-01-28, 15:13
why 81mm

were they like "hmm 80mm seems a bit lame lets add an extra 1 mm for added punch?" so they did and then they ate their own shoes.

Pariel
2009-01-28, 16:18
This is pure sex. Want mortarz nao!

9cookie_monster
2009-01-28, 17:24
Very nice model. Can not wait.
I just can imagine infantry moving up with well coordinated mortar strikes walking up in front of them.

Celestial1
2009-01-28, 20:00

BECAUSE NO TWO WEAPONS SYSTEMS CAN EVER LOOK THE SAME!

Farcry 2 has G3s, AKs, M249, PKMs, RPGs and every game with those weapons in it from now on is copying off of FC2!!!!

(FYI, the mortar in FC2 is a 'Type 63', a 60mm chinese mortar.

bosco_
2009-01-28, 20:05

The model doesn't even remotely resemble the FC2 one :roll:

Jonny
2009-01-28, 21:25
we dont take/steal any thing... This model was made over a year ago before FC2 was out, they may have the same type mortar in it I dunno but if so, its not the same model...Therefore, FC2 uses this model, by his logic.

SuperTimo
2009-01-28, 21:55
therefore why are we still going on about this ffs? :D

M.Warren
2009-01-29, 23:09

Personally, a much easier method would be to simply limit how close you can deploy a Mortar Position in proximity to an enemy Command Post. Not only is it more practical, but it also retains the realism of it's usage without limiting it's abilities to some "invisible force field" dome. Limiting the deployment to a minimum distance of 1500 meters away from an enemy Command Post should prove to be sufficient.

The Mortar itself should have a engagement range of 300-1200 meters. This means that if a Mortar Position should be deployed at the very closest location to an enemy Command Post there will be a 300-500 meter gap. Thusly anyone trying to fire projectiles into the base, would simply fall short. This would also give enemy units a chance to form up and equip themselves without being spawn camped and mauled silly within their own base.

However, it would be laughable if Mortars could not engage targets from a distance of at least of a critical maximum of 1000-1200 meters. The purpose of area saturation indirect fire weapons is about range, firepower and volume of projectiles. This is all at the cost of mobility and defense. The emphasis on the 1000-1200 meter range limit should be practical.

I've decided to do a little bit of math and even test the theories out. Turns out they work well.

1. Enemy Command Post: Marked for distance surveying.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll47/AnonymousUserPictures/MortarFireSupport1.jpg

2. Enemy Command Post: 1500 Meter deployment limit. Mortars are out of effective range of enemy main base.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll47/AnonymousUserPictures/MortarFireSupport21500Meters.jpg

3. Enemy Flag Zone: 975 Meters away. Mortars are within effective range of enemy flag zone.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll47/AnonymousUserPictures/MortarFireSupport3975Meters-1.jpg

Arnoldio
2009-01-30, 05:28
It could be used as in FH2, so SL/CO designates a target, mortar zeroes in, fires for effect and then they correct for each shot. Ofcourse someone must have a look on the target area to see where the shots are landing since this is PR and probably you won't have top view over the target as in FH2.

McBumLuv
2009-01-30, 16:57
M.Warren provides a god solution to deploying mortars, I'd love to see it used in a way similar to this, but it should involve some CO input, if only to get him more involved. Hoping to see this idea developed more thoroughly, direct firing support is one of the biggest things that pr lacks, and this would definately help to imrpove it :)

McBumLuv
2009-01-30, 16:58
Damn, no edit button, :S this is bugging the heck out of me now, especially for a supposed grammar stickler. "provides a god solution" and "imrpove it", like WTH. :roll:

TheMedic
2009-01-30, 17:15
Nice work guys, I think it will make an integrel part of the game and look forward to living up to the communication and teamwork it requires. Dont rush it out, you feel free to take your time and get it right :-) would rather that than have it all buggy lol :mrgreen: KK c u all on the field.

SSG Jay
2009-01-31, 09:47
I believe that to make it the most realistic, Mortar and 120mm Artillery weapons should only be build and usable near the command post, around 200m limitation. This will make it so you can't just build it in the middle of a city and start letting off.

It should be only usable by a squad of 4 or more, and that squad must be dedicated to listening to other squads requesting strikes. So as in today's military, there are actually a squad of people (13series) dedicated to Field Art~ and they aren't gonna just say hey lets go find a random spot we think is safe and put up this big 120mm cannon and have some fun. They are positioned at a fixed area and is rarely variable.

So my advice is limit Mortar/Art building to one squad and that squad must be dedicated to only firing it.

.blend
2009-01-31, 10:34
mortar looks rly cool....so whens 0.9 coming out? ;)

flickflackingfligger
2009-02-01, 02:39
mortar looks rly cool....so whens 0.9 coming out? ;)

that is an allmighty question:mrgreen:

Noobcleaner
2009-02-01, 10:00
bosco;919511']The model doesn't even remotely resemble the FC2 one :roll:

I didn't mean the model. i meant the idea of marker rounds and mortar rounds.

RedAlertSF
2009-02-01, 10:56
I believe the idea and everything is copied from real world, not FC2. :|

h3killa
2009-02-02, 04:49
Use the idea that FH2 used like others are saying. A certain elevation and bearing will be fire coordinates for a certain Keypad in a certain zone.
Or it could be and elevation of 5 will equal 500 meters and you will have to adjust your angle accordingly. For the bearing all you do is have a marker for a artillery strike to give the fire coordinates. Also a mobile artillery piece would be very nice too. Like the Stryker Mortar Variant would suit well.

Fearlessdot
2009-02-02, 04:55
Matrox;915686']

Model - [R-Dev]Wybl (retired)
Texture - [R-Dev]Matrox
Further texture advice - the IRC crew :razz:

Originally modelled by [R-Dev] Wybl, this is my going away present before I leave for a 3 month stint in Shanghai, China.

Due the complexity of the system though, it is more than likely that this will be a v0.9+ asset, possibly even v1.0 if it comes in at all.

So this could be goodbye for a few months people, (depending on internet connectivity in Shanghai etc etc.) If any of our community are in Shanghai, feel free to hit me up whilst im out there!

Also remember guys, it does pay to sometimes be in the Project Reality IRC channel, you never know what your going to find out!

Thanks for playing 0.85!

Matrox.

Nice man nice. Have fun in China Matrox :D

HangMan_
2009-07-18, 08:41
some player controlled indirect fire support would be great! Hope this does eventually get to PR :)

162eRI
2009-07-18, 09:05
Just great!!!! First, it's a beautiful model! Second, can't wait to see it in PR, it will improve a lot the gameplay.

And I'm really glad as it's the same mortar use by the Japanese army (i've to check for the French army)

http://rightwing.sakura.ne.jp/equipment/jgsdf/infantry/81m-l16/81m-l16_01.jpg

A nice assests of ammo box and artilry scope would be nice ;)
http://rightwing.sakura.ne.jp/equipment/jgsdf/infantry/81m-l16/81m-l16_04.jpg
http://rightwing.sakura.ne.jp/equipment/jgsdf/infantry/81m-l16/81m-l16_06.jpg

By the way, have great time in Shangai sir Matrox. Good luck ;)
(depending on internet connectivity in Shanghai etc etc.)
LOL if Shangai don't ger high internet connectivity, I'm gonna eat my shoes! haha
See U

=Romagnolo=
2009-07-18, 13:35

162eRI;1087683']By the way, have great time in Shangai sir Matrox. Good luck ;)

LOL if Shangai don't ger high internet connectivity, I'm gonna eat my shoes! haha
See U

This post was from January 25th, today is July 18th, he is already back for, almost, 4 months !

162eRI
2009-07-18, 14:22
Shame on me! :oops:
Bah, it was the intention that counts hahaha
I thought I already saw it but didn't check for the date LOOOL :mrgreen: Bloody dig out thread!

... gonna look for a rope and hang myself :roll:

Blade.3510
2009-07-18, 14:46
wow!

I wonder what kind of ingame range you'll put on this, since it can fire straight accross a whole map right? are there accuracy penalties to that?

Would be interesting if the ins got this on the back of a technical or somthing, so they can move it around.

What of offmap support then? Will mortars be replaced with something else, or will they suppliment the ingame mortar

I know you guys aren't putting this in for a while, but I bet you've chatted about this kinda stuff.

Anyway, lovely model and skin.

ive seen a moodel of a striker that has it in the back

j45h89
2009-07-18, 16:41
strykers come in tons of different variants, i think us brits have a motar in the back of an armoured vehicle, think it might of been an FV430

Jazz
2009-07-18, 18:13
My concern is people pixel aiming if these things are static in the main. Could they spawn in a random location at main by any chance?

Hitman.2.5
2009-07-19, 02:07
j45h, the bulldog is that what u mean?

Igloo35
2009-07-23, 12:36
i guess as far as base attack goes, your team will have to deal with it like every other asset and task a squad to get rid of it. like all you pilots that pick your nose for 20 min waiting on a jet at main and arent sitting in an AA , then scream when your runway gets strafed.

:?

Blade.3510
2009-07-23, 13:52
or it makes a squad resposible for guarding the base including patroling perimiter for a mortar team

zouloum
2009-07-25, 21:23
wow thats awsome cant w8 to see the final result!:-D

barbdwyer22
2009-07-27, 05:48
162eRI;1087683']Just great!!!! First, it's a beautiful model! Second, can't wait to see it in PR, it will improve a lot the gameplay.

And I'm really glad as it's the same mortar use by the Japanese army (i've to check for the French army)

http://rightwing.sakura.ne.jp/equipment/jgsdf/infantry/81m-l16/81m-l16_01.jpg

A nice assests of ammo box and artilry scope would be nice ;)
http://rightwing.sakura.ne.jp/equipment/jgsdf/infantry/81m-l16/81m-l16_04.jpg
http://rightwing.sakura.ne.jp/equipment/jgsdf/infantry/81m-l16/81m-l16_06.jpg

By the way, have great time in Shangai sir Matrox. Good luck ;)

See U

Actually, I am not sure that is the same mortar, the mount and baseplate appear to be the same, but the barrel does not have the BAD (Blast Attenuator Device), nor do they use the same sight unit or ammunition.

Honestly, DEVs, it may be a low priority asset, but I would love to help advise you guys on this aspect of the game as I just completed 4 years of Honorable service as a Marine Infantry Mortarman.

I can tell you ranges, magnification and FoV of the M64A1 sight unit, nomenclature of rounds, how the FDC works, FO's, anything.

FLOZi
2009-07-27, 18:05
The M252 is based on the british L16, which is originally of mid 1960's vintage. The BAD is a comparably recent addition to it. It's fairly standard in NATO forces afaik. Aussies use it, and wiki says Canadian, Japanese, Dutch and Norwegian forces use it also. (I suspect the French forces do not)

TheOldBreed
2009-07-27, 20:57
they look sick. would be great to call in a fire mission

Adetter
2009-08-02, 13:04
Will this be like the arty for the MECs,or will it be a player controlled mortar?

Mad-Mike
2009-08-03, 15:44
Good Job!
cant wait for this :D aswell as the rest of the updates :)

EnermaX
2009-08-15, 12:44
Target missed! 50m left! ... Target hit!

Xeloang3l
2009-08-28, 08:45
This Weapon was cool and very strong but I think it´s very difficult to take a good damge to the another base.

Mario988
2009-08-28, 09:42
Nice mortair,good job.
Have fun in China.

Herbiie
2009-08-28, 12:06
Will this be like the arty for the MECs,or will it be a player controlled mortar?

I know that the British use this weapon, and maybe more Countries but I'm not sure.

Hotrod525
2009-08-29, 12:38
I know that the British use this weapon, and maybe more Countries but I'm not sure.

Every army all around the world use mortars... :roll:

Herbiie
2009-08-29, 13:11
Every army all around the world use mortars... :roll:

I meant this particular type of Mortar ;)

There are many different makes etc.

Mad-Mike
2009-08-29, 18:26
how many rounds can we call in per round?

chuckMFd
2009-08-29, 18:36
This is an awsome step in the PR world!!! Lets make it happen! GO MORTAR TEAM!!!
I'm sick of people whinning about baserape. Project REALITY people RREEAALLIITTYY!!! Have you forgot the meaning. Anything goes. Baserapers UNITE!

arjan
2009-08-29, 19:00
This is an awsome step in the PR world!!! Lets make it happen! GO MORTAR TEAM!!!
I'm sick of people whinning about baserape. Project REALITY people RREEAALLIITTYY!!! Have you forgot the meaning. Anything goes. Baserapers UNITE!

take a chill pill :roll:

Tartantyco
2009-08-29, 20:04
-Please don't put many limitations on this, it's use and efficiency should be up to how the team uses it, not some arbitrary time limit or anything.

MR.Jv
2009-08-29, 23:05
:p love it

Hitman.2.5
2009-08-29, 23:47
Tyco did i mention how much that film in ur Sig makes me laugh :D

bloodthirsty_viking
2009-08-29, 23:47
wait, will this get rid of the arty and jdam co strikes?

anglomanii
2009-08-30, 01:48
The M252 is based on the british L16, which is originally of mid 1960's vintage. The BAD is a comparably recent addition to it. It's fairly standard in NATO forces afaik. Aussies use it, and wiki says Canadian, Japanese, Dutch and Norwegian forces use it also. (I suspect the French forces do not)

the ADF is in the middle of upgrading ours ATM we are also mounting them in Bushmasters, and attaching GPS assisted aiming suites and FCS to the motorized unit versions, the hatch is supposedly power assisted and has a internal deflector plate to keep the crew comfortable, unit also will have a powered extractor system to vent gases. it is possible to carry up to 300 81mm rounds internally and externally for this system, if all the external lockers are used.. internal restrictions limit capacity to 108 rounds in protected lockers.
the LIFSW (light indirect fire support weapon) bushmaster variant can also communicate to other vehicles in its unit and use their sensor data or OBS derived data to coordinate fire.

good work i hope to see this in game.

Sniperdog
2009-09-04, 01:58
As far as baserape goes it IS possible to make a protection bubble that ammunition cannot penetrate around all or part of the main base. This is because all objects in game have multiple collision meshes. One for people, one for vehicles and one for bullets. You could put a giant invisible projectile collision mesh around whatever you want. Discuss now...

Hitman.2.5
2009-09-04, 21:33
i agree

Tomato-Rifle
2009-09-04, 21:46
As far as baserape goes it IS possible to make a protection bubble that ammunition cannot penetrate around all or part of the main base. This is because all objects in game have multiple collision meshes. One for people, one for vehicles and one for bullets. You could put a giant invisible projectile collision mesh around whatever you want. Discuss now...

I didnt know there was one for bullets?

And can somebody show us how it works? like a demonstration video?

Rudd
2009-09-04, 21:50
You can see it on Barracuda etc, try firing at the carrier from a chopper. There is a forcefield protecting it. (new USMC anti-everything technology, or AET for short.)

N.Kuntze
2009-09-04, 23:15
Borrow that ARtillery System from Forgotten Hopes 2 with 2 Bars at the Top and the left where you could change the Angle and degrees of the Mortar/Artillery.
You need a spotter with a Binouclar (in this case the GLRD) to designate a target.
Designating a target shows the gunner of the Mortar/Artillery the Correct angle and degree count to hit the Target.
This would prevent one man Baserapes and ensured Teamplay since you had to have atleast 2 Squads working together.

Iron_Golem
2009-09-05, 11:19
Borrow that ARtillery System from Forgotten Hopes 2 with 2 Bars at the Top and the left where you could change the Angle and degrees of the Mortar/Artillery.
You need a spotter with a Binouclar (in this case the GLRD) to designate a target.
Designating a target shows the gunner of the Mortar/Artillery the Correct angle and degree count to hit the Target.

This system would be the Best one as artilery is extremely hard to aim without guides. The FH2 arty system is the best as it sets the azumith and direction when a fire mission is called. It would be great if this was implemented. I dont know if FH2 is able to share the system with you (assuming you ask) but if you did i have my fingers crossed.

TheLean
2009-09-05, 13:46
This system would be the Best one as artilery is extremely hard to aim without guides. The FH2 arty system is the best as it sets the azumith and direction when a fire mission is called. It would be great if this was implemented. I dont know if FH2 is able to share the system with you (assuming you ask) but if you did i have my fingers crossed.

I dont like that you get this magical eye above the firemission. Completetly unrealistic. It is fine that the coordinates presets though if a squadleader calls in fire mission with his GLTD. ARTY is generally the big killer in wars btw, in ww2 shrapnel was the major cause of violent death not bullets.

Kossolax
2009-09-07, 02:09
Infantry win Firefights, Tanks win Battles, Artillery wins Wars :)

bloodthirsty_viking
2009-09-07, 03:58
what if you could just "laze" the ground, giving appox cords, and then adust as needed as repsonse by inf vewing the attack?

Sniperdog
2009-09-07, 07:25
In theory you could have mortar and/or artillery rounds which seek laser targets in a manner similar to how the tank rounds seek laser targets (premounted on other vehicles) in combined arms. That way the mortars would only be properly effective if the target was lazed by GLTD. The mortar rounds would be fired up and would lock onto the target on the way back down.

Knobee
2009-09-08, 00:54
Having been on the receiving end of an 81mm in 1974 (North coast of Cyprus), I can give my full recommendation that this weapon be included!

Layers of buildings keep people alive when these things are being tossed about.

Feel free to ask for further information. :grin:

Sgt.Desert Tiger[TR]
2009-09-09, 12:19
Good work;-)

McBumLuv
2009-09-09, 19:59
In theory you could have mortar and/or artillery rounds which seek laser targets in a manner similar to how the tank rounds seek laser targets (premounted on other vehicles) in combined arms. That way the mortars would only be properly effective if the target was lazed by GLTD. The mortar rounds would be fired up and would lock onto the target on the way back down.

Meh, it wouldn't be as fluid as in FH2. It's an excellent system they use, I'm not even sure what happens when the binos get to work :p

bloodthirsty_viking
2009-09-09, 23:05
i still ike the idea to place a target like i sead jsut erlier "laze the ground" and it falls within say, 1-200 meters away, depending on the correctionns made for "wind" you could say?..

i was gona say a currection for altatude, but unless its up a large mountian, it would not matter.

you could have it land in the same exact spot every time, and just have corrections made by the moterer? about where to go baised on istrucitons from the spotter.

m1oh7
2009-09-10, 00:13
this makes my "forward observer" class idea more tuned for the game hehe

arjan
2009-09-10, 15:15
this makes my "forward observer" class idea more tuned for the game hehe

and that has been suggested before:roll:

boilerrat
2009-09-21, 00:38
Please god don't add the FH2 system of mortars / arty, that is too damn easy and godlike.

An effective mortar team should be like 2-3 people operating it and a forward observer.

whiskey27
2009-09-23, 03:53
Great sounding addition, a few ideas from a 11C(indirect fire infantryman).

Is there a way to set it up as a separate squad that the commander can appoint to a squad? And then the 81mm mortar can be deployed by the SL in that squad. Also, whoever suggested laser guided mortars, well that just defeats the purpose of adding in player used mortars. Although with a good mortar team, and the new UAV system, it could make for a really bad time for the bad guys... Which is why it would probably be good to add some sort of 60mm mortar system for insurgents :D

Bringerof_D
2009-09-23, 07:17
it would be so simple, do it exactly as FH2 has it, but create add to it the deviation system only instead of measuring movement to determine the increase it is based on distance, maximum accuracy at the shortest range would be within 4-6 metres of your target beyond that and your inaccuracy increases

PlasmaSoldier
2009-09-24, 14:32
At last a mortar in-game :P

McBumLuv
2009-09-24, 19:50
Definitely the only way to do it would have to be like in reality. The mortar team can get mearusing equippement and reference sticks, and they should be forced to use trigonometry to calculate the angle at which to fire it in order to land a hit.

Jonny
2009-09-24, 20:13
Definitely the only way to do it would have to be like in reality. The mortar team can get mearusing equippement and reference sticks, and they should be forced to use trigonometry to calculate the angle at which to fire it in order to land a hit.

Nope.
the only reason to bring any manual trig calculation into this is to find the range from map coordinates. The rest is results derived from VERY complex equations which are put into tables so nothing can interfere with the electronics you would need to solve them in a sensible time. Even simplified equations of position depend on powers of the number e, finding the angle you need to fire at is a whole lot harder.

Sinse we already have the distance given on the HUD, no trig is needed. you need a fire request, a few test shells to walk them onto the target, and a mic to let everyone else operating the mortars know exactly what angle to fire at.

UKrealplayER666
2009-09-24, 20:46
Personaly i exeled at triginometry at school so i would quite happily do it that way but i like the easyer option, more player freindly

McBumLuv
2009-09-25, 02:09
Ye, was just gonna mention Jonny that the introduction of Mortars would be another reason against having 3d markers on the screen. It's probably the main reason that they were removed for FH2.

Wouldn't mind having a table though to consult, being brought up with the Q rose or something along those lines.

SgtDad
2009-09-25, 02:15
Could not a simple grid map be made available to a mortar team? Or, how 'bout if the compass could be made to have a little gps box with coordinates changing as the player moves?

I think that if this is possible it could solve many existing problems with calling in arty and mortar fire...

Jes' opinin'...:wink:

major sharpe
2009-10-29, 02:49
thats well cool

Truism
2009-10-29, 07:12
The table could simply be a weapon slot on the mortar where the model is the table and it covers the whole screen.

Bazul14
2009-11-01, 00:08
How about making it a 2 man asset, one carries and loads and one fires it.