PDA

View Full Version : [Map] Fallujah Minimap

duckhunt
2008-09-09, 19:38
Heyho boys and girls. Its very a nearly done. So here is the minimap of the upcoming 'Fallujah West' map. A mix of Urban and Rural combat with many enterable buildings and street obstacles should ensure for some intense rounds of insurgency. The map will be USMC vs Insurgency with possibly the USMC having support of some M2 Bradleys.
Sadly I am loving & leaving you this week for some time while I go on adventures with the Marines irl. But I trust my fellow devs to do the necessary jobs to get this ready for the next release of PR.

Here is the most recent minimap with a comparison of the google earth image I used for reference. There will probably be a couple changes but this is pretty much it:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g270/duckhunt101/fallujah3.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g270/duckhunt101/minimap-3.jpg

and by now you should be familiar with the new buildings on Korengal, Using these building blocks has made many many enterable and varied buildings around the map, some examples below:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g270/duckhunt101/falout.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g270/duckhunt101/falout2.jpg

All the map got no object lightmaps yet so may look a bit flat.

HeXeY
2008-09-09, 19:44
Nice. Good luck IRL ;)

Scot
2008-09-09, 19:44
OMG OMG OMG!! SEXY!

MAINERROR
2008-09-09, 19:45
Awesome as expected. Great work duckhunt. :D

Oh and I forgot, take care man!

Rudd
2008-09-09, 19:45
Nice. Good luck IRL ;)

x2, all the best mate

Boda1
2008-09-09, 19:51
zomg, very awesomeness!

Jonny
2008-09-09, 19:56
It seems far too spaced out to me, if you look on the satelite pic you see hundreds of tiny little dwellings, with little space in between them and tiny little walled off gardens. While on the minimap there are large dwellings in the city and plenty of space around them.

Scot
2008-09-09, 19:59
Ohh forgot mate, Good luck for the future :)

Brummy
2008-09-09, 20:02
Would be nice if we could have just as many houses as Ramiel :p

But this is already awesome ;) :D

SuperTimo
2008-09-09, 20:25
this looks good, it will look better when my new graphics card comes!!

(no more lag for timo!!)

NYgurkha
2008-09-09, 20:47
hot stuff

Cptkanito
2008-09-09, 21:18
Love the new v0.8 maps, thumbs up

Threedroogs
2008-09-09, 21:25
nice work! good luck in combat! come home safe.

scandhi
2008-09-09, 21:34
Look real good there Duckie! Thanks for the XLNT work and GL in the navy. ;-)

Paperchase
2008-09-09, 21:54
Very nice.

=Romagnolo=
2008-09-09, 21:56
0.85 maybe ?

Good luck in your adventures :D

Aquiller
2008-09-09, 22:02
Wow, cant wait for 0.8 to be released...
Stay safe in RL.

EOD_Security-2252
2008-09-09, 22:07
Wait, 0.8 already is released.
Anyway, duck - you're officially my hero, stay alive.

Hans Martin Slayer
2008-09-09, 22:08
Wow, cant wait for 0.8 to be released...
yea same here! :lol:

i'm sure this map will be intense, great job and stay safe!

Dr Rank
2008-09-09, 22:13
It seems far too spaced out to me, if you look on the satelite pic you see hundreds of tiny little dwellings, with little space in between them and tiny little walled off gardens. While on the minimap there are large dwellings in the city and plenty of space around them.

Honestly, wait till you see it, you WILL be blown away. It offers a new level of realism, and is without doubt a masterpiece. The combat is going to be beyond epic, what I've experienced on it so far with only 8 or so players has been completely immersive and also very emotive.

This WILL become a classic, the spacing is just to do with scaling, and honestly, when you look around on ground level, you're not going to think about anything like that, the place looks REAL.

~KILL~Pirate
2008-09-09, 22:31
Dr Rank;796535']Honestly, wait till you see it, you WILL be blown away. It offers a new level of realism, and is without doubt a masterpiece. The combat is going to be beyond epic, what I've experienced on it so far with only 8 or so players has been completely immersive and also very emotive.

This WILL become a classic, the spacing is just to do with scaling, and honestly, when you look around on ground level, you're not going to think about anything like that, the place looks REAL.

x2

jayceon515
2008-09-09, 22:47
This looks absolutely amazing. Just looking at the minimap you can see a lot of those new enterable buildings we have in Muttrah city which is an absolute must for an insurgency map to make it feel like RL. Can't wait for this one:mrgreen:

seanb12491
2008-09-10, 01:47
will this come out with the patch for 0.8

ReaperMAC
2008-09-10, 02:52
Nice work! :D

Rhino
2008-09-10, 03:39
This looks absolutely amazing. Just looking at the minimap you can see a lot of those new enterable buildings we have in Muttrah city which is an absolute must for an insurgency map to make it feel like RL. Can't wait for this one:mrgreen:

it was funny as hell like probably a year ago when matt.b, me and duckhunt where all on TS as duckhunt had just come back for a weeks brake from his Marine training and he started talking about the concept for Fallujah and how he had some some work on it but it was crappy having to use all the vBF2 buildings and we where like "dont you know? we have like a whole new range of Middle Eastern City buildings now matt.b has been making for muttrah etc". It almost sounded like ducky had died and gone to heaven :p

but ye, the map is hardly "spread out", I took a big long walk around it around a week or 2 ago, and its anything but spread out :)

LineHog
2008-09-10, 03:55
Looks good, and good luck out there.

Teek
2008-09-10, 04:36
Happy to see there is less roads then IRL cause
less roads = better ambushes = better game.

crazy11
2008-09-10, 05:23
Very nice looking map.

Good luck IRL.

DenniZ-NL
2008-09-10, 06:26
Im gonna love this map, I can just feel it!!!

SWIZZ=kettcar=
2008-09-10, 07:01
looks great, what size is it?

Rhino
2008-09-10, 07:18
looks great, what size is it?

512x2, 1km^2, Op Ghost Train size.

hx.bjoffe
2008-09-10, 09:37
Rhino;796834']512x2
It truly looks great, but isnt that's pretty small these days..? Worked out great for Korengal, but then again that isn't excactly.. flat.
Hopefully it won't turn out the 'new Helmand.' As in spamfest.

Rhino
2008-09-10, 09:48
It truly looks great, but isnt that's pretty small these days..? Worked out great for Korengal, but then again that isn't excactly.. flat.
Hopefully it won't turn out the 'new Helmand.' As in spamfest.

Helmand is 1/4 the size of OGT, Korengal or Fullujah. Helmand isa 256x2 map.

Also its not excatly "flat", it has many buildings you can enter, climb etc.

LtSoucy
2008-09-10, 09:59
Great job Duckhunt. And best of luck and stay safe.

Spec
2008-09-10, 12:00
Looks awesome, just as the other previews :)

And of course, stay safe.

Jonny
2008-09-10, 12:16
Well dont skimp on the complexity and cover, like muttrah, it just about kills it.

These central blocks for instance:
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff79/Sloaneo_photo/street.jpg
They all appear to be surrounded by walls, and you get from street to street without entering a building apparently.

Now compare it to any number of streets on the satelite photo where you cannot do that.

Can we have some pics of one of these dwellings to see just how open they actually are?

Looking at the other thread (https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f273-august-2008/43885-map-fallujah-west-not-0-8-a.html), it seems there is not enough homes with front doors straight onto the street, like here:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b6/US_1stCavDiv_Fallujah%2C_Nov_12%2C_2004.jpg

Its much more of this:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g270/duckhunt101/screen133.jpg

Straight through the door should be the main form of entering a house, not going through the gate into the driveway, then surrounding it. I have to say, this does not seem very realistic at all.

It will be a great map, I dont dought that, there does seem to be a lot more cover than muttrah. But I am not so sure about the realism of the buildings you have layed out.

One more thing:
On the satelite pic you see buildings back-to-back, yet not on the minimap. Its just one row in between two roads as if you can drive straight through there from one road to anothre without going over any other persons property. This is even more unrealistic.

Sparky Speirs
2008-09-10, 12:18
well done duckhunt!! take care over there!

Rhino
2008-09-10, 12:33
lol Jonny, I see you always giving crits without even getting the full run down and without any real knowledge of how this stuff works. all in all, I would love to see you do better.

Jonny
2008-09-10, 13:15
I would love to have the time, rhino, but I am starting uni in october.

Are you not interested in any criticism?

Surely you should at least listen to people who have not given up all hope of doing something new with the engine because they are not painfully aware of its limitations?

Or do you prefer to just read the kind of 'wow, thats awesome!!ELEVEN-POINT-ONE!!' comments most posts contain when you do anything?

Hoestly, I'm not even saying 'thats crap', I'm trying to help you improve it here!

Someone who has not worked on something for ages can often see faults that other people cant, rhino. Dont dismiss people because they have not made any huge, popular maps.

Jonny
2008-09-10, 13:18
If I can see something to criticise without 'the full run down and without any real knowledge of how this stuff works' then surely it must be something important? No?

Rhino
2008-09-10, 13:31
many of the things duckhunt has done, and why, is because it is what he is limited to with BF2 statics and the engine, doing them in the way you have suggested takes up a huge amount of time to crate new models, and system resources.

Taking a screenshot which its taken out in the wastelands area and calling most of the map like that, when only like less than 1/4 of the map is like that is kinda odd, hence you have not yet had time to walk around it.

Always open to criticisms, just best to have them once having a full look at the situation etc.

Jonny
2008-09-10, 13:38
Yes, I am basing this off very limited knowlege of the map, but I still believe my point is valid.

Since all the statics used have already been made, skinned, etc, would it be worth it to arrange them in max into a building and re-import that as one model, without reskinning or remodeling anything?

Then you would not have to place 15 statics per building, but one.

Would the engine like this more?

It could certainly simplify things for the server if you remade the collision mesh so that it was a little simpler. It could help the mapper too, not having to worry about placing all the walls individually for each building.

Rhino
2008-09-10, 13:43
the engine would like it less, and so would the client since then it wouldn't be able to deal with the LODs as well, hence why the carrier is multiple piaces too.

and the fact that a new static mesh model needs to be loaded, far easier to work with existing ones that are just cloned.

and importing a model into max leaves you with a bunch of smoothing errors etc, + modeling or remodeling a building in max takes a hell of alot more of time, effort and skill than setting them up in the editor.

Jonny
2008-09-10, 14:02
Well is there any chance we could see some doors opening onto the street instead of gates? This is the main issue I see from the minimap.

If there already are then can we see a lot more in the centre streets I posted SSs of?

IMO it would really play well having an entire team moving down one street, going from house to house as they go, not knowing if there are IEDs waiting for them behind the next door and being very cramped in the houses instead of being able to run around in small courtyards.

Outlawz7
2008-09-10, 14:16
Somehow it looks waaaay too smaller that the minimap posted before the summer, did the city get shrunk or completely redone?

hx.bjoffe
2008-09-10, 15:14
Somehow it looks waaaay too smaller that the minimap posted before the summer, did the city get shrunk or completely redone?

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g270/duckhunt101/minimap05.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g270/duckhunt101/minimap-3.jpg

They look pretty much the same size to me, neither shrunk nor redone.

duckhunt
2008-09-10, 15:48
This is not just for you jonny ;)
I suppose the PR team should be proud now that we are expected to make completley realistic maps from the community, I would take it as a compliment on the progress of our work rhino eh? ;)
Mate, given the time, I would create a map entirely out of enterable buildings, back to back, doors on the street all that jazz you are on about, I am capable of that and may well do it in the future, but the resources we have as mappers and the resouces players computer hardware have make it an unworkable option at the moment. The biggest complements I have received have been from community & team members who have served in Iraq while jonny was(probably) at college, stating how well they thought I had replicated the feel of the areas they had seen first hand, and giving me good tips to improve which I welcomed massivley.
I would not spend over a year working on this if the fundamental layout of buildings was crappy, and I have strived for realism and immersion within the details and 'decoration'.
The google earth image is a rough plan, I used photos for alot of the street stlyes.
All the devs work progress over time, this is a massive step up for me from Al-Basrah, and my next creation will hopefully make this seem too vanilla. For now be content because I think as a mod there is no proper comparison to the type of game 0.8 plays out.

There is some doors straight to street in the map, i dont have the game now so cant show but thats something you can look forward to discovering I suppose.

If you are someone who has fair attention to detail and you obviously have the idea of what you want to see in a map, listen to the rhino and take up is 'do better' offer. Uni is the worst excuse ive ever heard! :D You can take your time just do it in the odd night off, im sure you will have heaps of fun with the editor.

Thanks for comments il be around on the forums from time to time not sure how often il be at a place with net acess.

Having a rockin time at bovvy all those who are going too!

oh and I am just WAITING for someone to say "pff dont look much difference in those minimaps" :p

=Romagnolo=
2008-09-10, 16:10
On the new minimap, we can see at the lower left coner a bunch of walls and other things. LoL.

gazzthompson
2008-09-10, 16:10
IMO it would really play well having an entire team moving down one street, going from house to house as they go, not knowing if there are IEDs waiting for them behind the next door and being very cramped in the houses instead of being able to run around in small courtyards.

a quick google image look seems to me that the majority of houses are in compounds, though im sure some 1 like priatex can shed light on this more

Rhino
2008-09-10, 16:13
On the new minimap, we can see at the lower left coner a bunch of walls and other things. LoL.

ye, thats duckys little working spot :p

Smuke
2008-09-10, 16:15
May I ask Duckhunt what RM Unit your joining?

Rhino
2008-09-10, 16:18
May I ask Duckhunt what RM Unit your joining?

he joined ages ago, hes getting deployed.

Jonny
2008-09-10, 17:49
duckhunt;797094']Uni is the worst excuse ive ever heard! :D You can take your time just do it in the odd night off, im sure you will have heaps of fun with the editor.Not gonna get many nights off at cambridge, wont even have a comp I can run PR on. Plenty of 9am lectures, too. But the terms are really short, so I should get plenty of time when not at uni to play around.

Bet it aint such a bad excuse now, huh?

=Romagnolo=
2008-09-10, 18:53
Rhino;797110']ye, thats duckys little working spot :p

I know, this is the best and the fastest way to workin in a map, put a lot of things in a spot and then copy the objects to put where you want.

Noobofthenight
2008-09-10, 22:05
Nice looking map mate, very nice :D

Good luck out where you're being deployed! *salute*

Redleader
2008-09-11, 00:26
cool

Desertfox
2008-09-11, 04:54
good luck duck and map looks amazing!

JacenSolo
2008-09-11, 07:13
Very nice!!

Rhino
2008-09-11, 07:21
Not gonna get many nights off at cambridge, wont even have a comp I can run PR on. Plenty of 9am lectures, too. But the terms are really short, so I should get plenty of time when not at uni to play around.

Bet it aint such a bad excuse now, huh?

lolz, a even worse excuse.

You do Realize e-gor, now a xdev (well not quite, i still get him to do stuff for us and he cant leave! :p) is doing maths at Cambridge, and my bro is also doing Chemical Engneering at Cambridge, and I myself have done a little freelance work for the Archology department of Cambridge, doing CAD drawings of there dig sites etc and had some exsperiance of what goes on at cambridge, thou nothing quite like what egor and my bro know, but I can tell you, there is time to do it if you wanted to.

EDIT: in fact I did the final stages of OGT while working at Cambridge hehe.

SocketMan
2008-09-11, 09:21
*removed quote, please do not quote the entire first post in your post....*

So which one is the minimap here? I am confused:wink:

Jonny
2008-09-11, 11:07
Which college is Egor at?

Rhino
2008-09-11, 11:29
pretty sure its trinity if I remembner correctly thou you will have to ask him.

hiberNative
2008-09-11, 13:35
can never have enough urban maps. they're so intense to play. always a lot of emotion in the squads + peering along the roads for moving pixels :tired:

Chimpanzeeee
2008-09-11, 17:39
looking good! the attention to detail is astounding as always.

(needs more swimming pools :smile: )

is this going to be quite similar to ramiel or are you guys keeping something behind your backs?

return of extraction mode perhaps...?

Colonelcool125
2008-09-12, 00:08
return of extraction mode perhaps...?

Please let it be true:).

Great looking map, I forsee some VERY intense street fights. Bradleys would make it even better. I can imagine being outnumbered and about to be overrun when a Bradley rolls around the corner and lets loose. Man, this map is gonna rock.

Bob_Marley
2008-09-12, 11:00
Looks awesome.

How much of it do I get to blast into dust?

justman2005
2008-09-12, 11:57
i can see some fun being had with the old m203 on this map

Dmented
2008-09-12, 17:47
looks good guys, i see this mod getting better with every release. it's the only game i can play and lose horribly at and still have a very fun time.

:D

Scot
2008-09-12, 21:02
i can see some fun being had with the old m203 on this map

I can't 40m arm time :(

agentscar
2008-09-13, 01:44
AWESOME! :D

Hope some (at least 1) Abrams is on this,or at least an LAV-25...That long main avenue would be sexy to have them on,lol.

nice job though!

TF6049
2008-09-13, 06:31
x2, all the best mate

x3 Rudd. Nice map too.

Robbi
2008-09-14, 13:21
nice :D

And good luck m8 ;)

ExisSellos
2008-09-14, 20:14
Looking good!

LithiumFox
2008-09-25, 00:55
it needs moar fieeeelds :) i love fields... hiding in them, stealing their corn!

black-wolf
2008-09-25, 15:53
Lol, I first had to figure what was the minimap and what was the photo, lol.
Wait a sec, I thought the lower one was the photo :/

Bringerof_D
2008-09-26, 05:30
hmm i notice the lighting is comeing from the wrong side, on the image above, which i asume down is north because all the writing is upside down, the light is coming from the south, yet on the minimap it shows the light coming in from the north east. and i do believe theya re north of the equator, soo.....

anywho correct me if i'm wrong though, cause the image above seems upside down and in some other language

e-Gor
2008-09-26, 15:07
Which college is Egor at?Trinity Hall. I may have to murder rhino for suggesting it might be trinity... (yeah, there's a bit of rivalry there). About to start 3rd year. You?

Jonny
2008-09-26, 15:58
Peterhouse (the little one, next to the fitz. museum).

e-Gor
2008-09-26, 16:22
Hmm, one of the few colleges I've never actually been to.

I've barely ever done any work in the evenings while at uni, and you really do get plenty of free time. I was probably at my most active as a developer in the first year of uni, without sabotaging my social life or work (yeah, work definitely comes second out of those two...) It does depend what subject you do though - natscis and engineers will have praticals/labs which take up more time.

Jonny
2008-09-26, 16:38
Yeah, but its not the lack of free time thats the problem, I still havn't decided if I will bring my laptop. So I may not have a computer AT ALL. Kind of a big obstacle to mapping really.

e-Gor
2008-09-26, 17:11
You'll want a computer of some sort - whatever your subject, it'll help hugely. From those ever important mid-essay wikipedia searches and more frequent access to email (which is pretty much the only way anything is ever organised at cambridge...) to the procrastination wonders of iplayer and facebook you really will regret not having a computer in your room. It's either that or spending your life in the computer rooms at college, which is really not recommended. :)

Jonny
2008-09-26, 21:55
hmmmm, I'll have to buy some sort of lock then in the next week.

Blakeman
2008-11-12, 20:21
Love the map, glad the USMC is getting some love vs the insurgency. I would like to see maybe one non respawnable tank on this one which will let you destroy the houses just like the real deal. If it has the vehicle saturation that ramiel has but without the helos then it would be a good fit imo.