PDA

View Full Version : How much a CO player are you?

Michael_Denmark
2008-08-25, 20:25
Attention Commanders!

Per week or per month, how often compared to other in game functions, do you play commander in public games?

And why?

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7416/bimingbattleivym8.jpg
By michaeldenmark (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/michaeldenmark) at 2008-03-30

Haven't played CO in public games for some time now, so using a battle picture taken from the Project Reality Tournament, Campaign 6,
where my team back then, CATA 2nd Army, defended successfully against furious attacks from NATO 2nd Army.

AS CO player, you most probably already know that the Bi Ming map is no CO beginner map when the odds are even. The map has though become much more comprehensible after the daylight version was implemented. The night version is in my opinion still a good challenge for used to the function CO players.

Since I haven't had time to play public jazz for a while, I am not sure how many public CO players actually like to command on this map?

Rudd
2008-08-25, 23:14
infreqeuently, it depends on how good the teams are and the map. So I'd say once every two weeks.
I enjoy commanding on a round of Assault on Mestia so I happily command there, because the strategy is simple and the need for communication between assault and fire support sections is immense

Michael_Denmark
2008-08-25, 23:21
Agree on the teams, and do you mean like jumping into the function in the middle of a round when there is no commander or is it like you spot out from the start of a round if a team is good or bad?

Just making sure I understand you correct; its the very map type it self too, that is the other determining factor for you deciding to play the CO function?

If yes, what is it Mestia has that other maps dosent have -CO wise?

Harrod200
2008-08-26, 04:49
I play about 5-10% as CO. Normally if all is going well I'll CO for 2-3 rounds then take one off to get some killing done and let someone else have a go.

Maps I HATE Commanding on;
Bi Ming (Hate this map in general)
OGT (Don't really like this map in general either)
Vanilla maps (all but Zatar, which is good)

I like commanding all other maps, with a decent team.

Mestia is just a more interesting map to command. A good commander and obedient squads can win that map even more than any other. If you're playing against a well organised Militia team and commander, you've already lost. 32 Militia all dug in at East tower, with bunker and defences? Impenetrable.

Rudd
2008-08-26, 05:05
Agree on the teams, and do you mean like jumping into the function in the middle of a round when there is no commander or is it like you spot out from the start of a round if a team is good or bad?

Just making sure I understand you correct; its the very map type it self too, that is the other determining factor for you deciding to play the CO function?

If yes, what is it Mestia has that other maps dosent have -CO wise?

Jumping in to the CO chair in the middle can be harder/easier depending on the teams but more importantly if there was a crap commander before you (evey1 will be pissed off with you b4 u start...)

Mestia is good because all you have to do is ensure theres a couple of bunkers and a useable FB, while keeping a squad on each flag and the rest attacking. But I'd go commander on any map, because it never hurts. I only resign if I'm not doing any good, all the squad leaders aren't speaking English (my schoolboy German only goes so far) or no1 is following orders or passing along intel.

What I really really really hate is when the squads are arranged in a way that makes asset control difficult on maps like Kashan. A squad need a helo ride to US outpost? I'd love to mate, but the squad that has the chopper pilot in it isn't responding. what I like is when the helo boys are in one squad, the jets are in another and have sorted out a system amongst themselves for conveying my orders/information. (e.g. a officer is SL for the jets so he can lase and pass on my orders)

cyberzomby
2008-08-26, 08:35
Im not CO that often. Due to the reasons stated above. I honestly dont like the CO function that much becuase usualy theres only 2 or 3 squads listening.

I love the communications and bunker placing part of it though. When theres no CO I volunteer for it almost regularly but than someone else already takes it.

Phoenix.86
2008-08-26, 09:37
Not very often, it's usually way to frustrating on public servers where players sometimes even refuse to build a bunker/firbase at an absolutely essential positon. Not talking about attacking and defending here... Although it can be fun when you got some good squads that communicate and listen to you from time to time ;).

Tartantyco
2008-08-26, 09:56
-Usually a few times a week, but I do have some spans where I play as CO constantly.

Michael_Denmark
2008-08-28, 00:09
I play about 5-10% as CO. Normally if all is going well I'll CO for 2-3 rounds then take one off to get some killing done and let someone else have a go.

Mestia is just a more interesting map to command. A good commander and obedient squads can win that map even more than any other. If you're playing against a well organised Militia team and commander, you've already lost. 32 Militia all dug in at East tower, with bunker and defences? Impenetrable.

Besides Vanilla jazz, sounds like its the jungle maps that you don't like to command on? Why? I mean, both maps offers the possibility for the use of strong defensive and offensive operations.

Yes 32 Millitia at East Tower is probably if not impenetrable, then as close to that as possible.

Scot
2008-08-28, 01:11
Whenever I want to really... but I much prefer being in the thick of it

Michael_Denmark
2008-08-28, 01:17
Right, so in a week period - how much would you say you decide to play CO?

Sturnn
2008-08-28, 01:36
I don't like going as commander..because i don't like taking responsibility all the time..im okay as SL but taking the role as commander is just too much responsibility...besides being SL all you've got to do is follow orders =]

If i do end up as CO..then i always use real life tactics or defensive tactics to win battles...but sometimes squads don't listen to me >.>

Scot
2008-08-28, 02:08
In a week about once max, normally just be a soldier.

Zeppelin35
2008-08-28, 03:08
I rarely play as the commander. There just isn't really much to do for me because most of the time the squads do really report anything in.

Michael_Denmark
2008-08-28, 09:50
In a week about once max, normally just be a soldier.

Ok, not much though.

Michael_Denmark
2008-08-28, 09:55
I rarely play as the commander. There just isn't really much to do for me because most of the time the squads do really report anything in.

My non-native skills pound me here; "...Do really report anything in", does that mean they don't report or they do report?

echo
2008-08-28, 09:58
Most of the time I play on the TG server and usually there is always a commander, so I play around once-twice a week as commander.

Michael_Denmark
2008-08-28, 11:24
Jumping in to the CO chair in the middle can be harder/easier depending on the teams but more importantly if there was a crap commander before you (evey1 will be pissed off with you b4 u start...)

Mestia is good because all you have to do is ensure theres a couple of bunkers and a useable FB, while keeping a squad on each flag and the rest attacking. But I'd go commander on any map, because it never hurts. I only resign if I'm not doing any good, all the squad leaders aren't speaking English (my schoolboy German only goes so far) or no1 is following orders or passing along intel.

What I really really really hate is when the squads are arranged in a way that makes asset control difficult on maps like Kashan. A squad need a helo ride to US outpost? I'd love to mate, but the squad that has the chopper pilot in it isn't responding. what I like is when the helo boys are in one squad, the jets are in another and have sorted out a system amongst themselves for conveying my orders/information. (e.g. a officer is SL for the jets so he can lase and pass on my orders)

The Jumping CO

True that the challenge can be fluid when jumping into position during a round. And yes reverting the low morale on a weak team when its loosing and just having experienced a bad previous commander jazzing everything up, is indeed a challenge.

In a specific period I tried playing CO only as the jumping into command on loosing weak teams. Was actually fun trying out.

Recommend the very same in like 10-20 rounds; Jumping into the CO on loosing weak teams, trying to revert the situation. Good challenge.

I never really won those Jumping CO battles on loosing weak teams, but did manage to revert the fighting spirit (morale if you will) and also managed to bring back some coordination on the team-sized level. Learned something about about how to view a team and how to try keep on adapting to a lost battle situation.

Really really really hate

Your triple hate to the organisational angle when in regards to asset-control just gave me an idea.

So,

What if at round start the CO to some degree could arrange the organisation of the team, like in example as listed below.

Logistic Squad

Infantry Squad 1
Infantry Squad 2
Infantry Squad 3

Armour Squad 1
Armour Squad 3
Armour Squad 3

Air Squad 1
Air Squad 2

Thus in such a set-up the specific kits could only be used by the players if they are in a related squad?

Huge change to the existing system, agreed, and more forcing alike than most already implemented in the game, but still a possibility to counter the Kashan problem you address.

The CO player would from start get the option to decide from different organisational graphical overlays based on the - at up to round start - present amount of infantry/armour/air players that the sever somehow already had recognized.

Langue problems

Yes the language is without any doubt the greatest challenge of them all in this game. Not only to non-native English like you and me, although we do have the greater challenge, but also to the natives them self s, since they are forced to translate those English alike sounds coming from us non-native into something they can actually understand and response too.

Michael_Denmark
2008-08-28, 11:37

Yes, the power of defensive concentration if no death from above. After the DEV TEAM removed the arty CO players could actually attempt beginning play team-sized rounds instead of the squad sized rounds CO players more or less was forced to play back then.

You a defensive type of CO?

Michael_Denmark
2008-08-28, 11:41
-Usually a few times a week, but I do have some spans where I play as CO constantly.

Spans?

HunterMed
2008-08-28, 12:05
A lot lately,

I try to get CO position from the start because you can at least control the deployment of the squads a bit. In late game it is a lot harder to change the squads task.

Maybe every 4th round being CO, or more often when the team actually listened and some squads communicated. If no one listened I wont do the CO again in the next round with the same team.

why?
I was sick of the squads attacking only and squad teamwork only. I try my best to get teams organized on a team level.
And also many times because I fear that someone who has no idea steps up as CO and ruins the game even more than without CO ;)

Tartantyco
2008-08-28, 12:07
Spans?

-A CO binge, 2-4 days where I play as CO only.

Michael_Denmark
2008-08-28, 12:27
Ok, thanks.

TAW_Cutthroat
2008-08-28, 16:02
If i'm on a server and all the good squad leaders have full squads ill either make my own or command. Only problem is then the next round no one wants to do it so I end up doing it over and over again. After about three rounds i just have to say NO! The thing I like about commanding is when you get a "thanks" or whatever at the end of the round. It looks like 0.8 will make commanding less hands on. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the fighting, but it distracts you from the aim of the job. I'll be glad to be safe in my CP!

Pluizert
2008-08-28, 17:20
I play commander every time there are 45+ players and there are no bunkers or fb's build yet.

Michael_Denmark
2008-08-29, 13:25
If i'm on a server and all the good squad leaders have full squads ill either make my own or command. Only problem is then the next round no one wants to do it so I end up doing it over and over again. After about three rounds i just have to say NO! The thing I like about commanding is when you get a "thanks" or whatever at the end of the round. It looks like 0.8 will make commanding less hands on. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the fighting, but it distracts you from the aim of the job. I'll be glad to be safe in my CP!

How do you know who all the good squad leaders are?

Michael_Denmark
2008-08-29, 13:26
I play commander every time there are 45+ players and there are no bunkers or fb's build yet.

Sounds like you play CO a lot then.

Michael_Denmark
2008-08-29, 13:35
Most of the time I play on the TG server and usually there is always a commander, so I play around once-twice a week as commander.

Guess that the teams on TG do follow orders or what?

Michael_Denmark
2008-08-29, 13:36
A lot lately,

I try to get CO position from the start because you can at least control the deployment of the squads a bit. In late game it is a lot harder to change the squads task.

Maybe every 4th round being CO, or more often when the team actually listened and some squads communicated. If no one listened I wont do the CO again in the next round with the same team.

why?
I was sick of the squads attacking only and squad teamwork only. I try my best to get teams organized on a team level.
And also many times because I fear that someone who has no idea steps up as CO and ruins the game even more than without CO ;)

You command any specific faction?

Michael_Denmark
2008-08-29, 13:37
Not very often, it's usually way to frustrating on public servers where players sometimes even refuse to build a bunker/firbase at an absolutely essential positon. Not talking about attacking and defending here... Although it can be fun when you got some good squads that communicate and listen to you from time to time ;).

Do you know if there are better servers than others for CO play or is it the same jazz on all servers?

HunterMed
2008-08-29, 13:43
You command any specific faction?

Never was CO for insurgents I think. And also only a few times for Militia.

So basically only regular armies...

Best server to command is T&T, TG and Thors if the LP and TB guys are on your side :)

{WC}HOTSTUFF
2008-08-29, 13:50
I end up commanding at least 90% of my play time. Why? I like to win. I do not mind the extra pressure. When everyone works as a team AND LISTENS it is heaven. I prefer just to run around and shoot BUT when all is said and done I would rather see the team win.It is hard to win without a commander and the assets needed.

Psycho_Sam
2008-09-05, 11:22
Played Commander for the first time in a long time last night and enjoyed it. :-) As for how often I will play as commander I think I will play however often we need one. If our team is taking a bit of a battering and nobody is commanding I will step up and take on the job. However after 2 battles in a row I resign and start playing as a ground soldier again as I still want to kill something. :p

Cassius
2008-09-07, 02:28
I play commander about every 5 - 10 rounds. I do it because the game is much more fun for my team with a co. Effectively using the team means everyone gets busy. Air support doesnt have to ruin their eyes searching for targets Squads arent stranded because pick up is coordinated faster and armor doesnt get blown up by a lone engie because it works toegether with the infantery. That way the game doesnt get teadious, because squads are eithier moving right away on to the next target or defending a flag that needs defending.

Also I like it to motivate more people to take up co once in a while so everybody gets the max out of the game and imo you can only with a CO (on most maps) and the best way to convince people to take up commanding is is to have squads in the enemies main by the end of the round, when you are in command :twisted:

gclark03
2008-09-07, 02:57
I hardly ever play Commander because I hate my voice. As SL, I can get over it, but I'm just not taken as seriously as I should be while commanding the entire team.

SWIZZ=kettcar=
2008-09-07, 08:04
play 5% of the time as commander, but the most time on the Servers, you see no commander. Wish for the next Build, give some Goddies to the Player who is doing this Job.

MAINERROR
2008-09-07, 11:02
play 5% of the time as commander, but the most time on the Servers, you see no commander. Wish for the next Build, give some Goddies to the Player who is doing this Job.

We could give them some barbies and kens. Seriously ... commanding is not as easy as most of the guys think. It's pretty challenging with a good opponent team. If it's boring blame the enemy because they fail.

LtSoucy
2008-09-07, 11:15
So thats how you defended so well. :p that match was a murder to move into the area, marksmen in towers, SAW's behind low hills so when you walk over 6 guys fall dead. Once again great game Mike and CATA 2.

i did CO for the first time in v0.8 and was all team work.

Rudd
2008-09-07, 14:05
i did CO for the first time in v0.8 and was all team work.

Cheers for last night soucy, we defended gov office to the last, they left the server rather than face our m16s!

Water_Is_Poison18
2008-09-08, 19:40
I just comm'd two rounds on T&T. We lost fairly handily on Qwai River, just barely defending Pigfarm from being captured. I then comm'd on EJOD desert where we lost 16-0. It was a close match, but we had a couple of devastating blows while trying to capture the cities. I definitely learned some ideas on how to be a proper comm and will probably try it again in the near future.

Michael_Denmark
2008-09-11, 16:55
I hardly ever play Commander because I hate my voice. As SL, I can get over it, but I'm just not taken as seriously as I should be while commanding the entire team.

As a non native English I have had plenty of problems with the voice too. My PR voice is not the same as when I use my own language.

Actually some native English players at some point complained to me about my voice, addressing that I was doll and monotone to them.

The power of the passive consumer cannot be underestimated.

Project Reality need players to step up and take command. A round with an even basic skilled commander will be much more fun for everybody than without.

Thus a basic tip here, hope I don't offend you. If i do, please accept my apology.

If you take your self serious, including your voice, others will eventually too.

Michael_Denmark
2008-09-11, 16:59
I just comm'd two rounds on T&T. We lost fairly handily on Qwai River, just barely defending Pigfarm from being captured. I then comm'd on EJOD desert where we lost 16-0. It was a close match, but we had a couple of devastating blows while trying to capture the cities. I definitely learned some ideas on how to be a proper comm and will probably try it again in the near future.

Sounds like a sound attitude to me.

Michael_Denmark
2008-09-11, 17:10
Played Commander for the first time in a long time last night and enjoyed it. :-) As for how often I will play as commander I think I will play however often we need one. If our team is taking a bit of a battering and nobody is commanding I will step up and take on the job. However after 2 battles in a row I resign and start playing as a ground soldier again as I still want to kill something. :p

Yes, one is kind of stuck now in 0.8.

If the CO had a lap top or radio or something, making it possible to leave the CO post for a shorter period (10-15 minutes) and then having to return to the CO post to recharge the Lap Tops batteries, then both Core CO types would become covered in the game.

CORE CO TYPES OF PROJECT REALITY:

Up front with the grunt

In the rear with the gear

And if it somehow was part of a game mode that a CO had to do both, then both types would be forced to try out the opposite of what they normally would do.

Michael_Denmark
2008-09-11, 17:22
MAINERROR;794093']We could give them some barbies and kens. Seriously ... commanding is not as easy as most of the guys think. It's pretty challenging with a good opponent team. If it's boring blame the enemy because they fail.

Absolutely agree. As a side note just want to say that when you do face a good opponent and you have a team and a plan capable to counter such, winning can be rewarding on a level you wouldent have dreamed of if you havent tried it.

Michael_Denmark
2008-09-11, 17:24
Wish for the next Build, give some Goddies to the Player who is doing this Job.

Copy on the 5 percent

Still learning English, thus what does the above mean?

daranz
2008-09-11, 17:40
I try commanding once in a while a while, but usually I give up after the round is over. Commanding is tough. It's not just because coming up with an effective strategy can be difficult. It is tough because actual commanding is difficult.

It's like working with kids. You can love working with kids, but after an hour of them yelling, running around, breaking stuff and not listening to you, you get tired. Similar deal with the commander position: even if you have good ideas, you need to convince everyone else that you do. It's nice if squads can cooperate with you. But very often, squads are all over the place, have internalized assets that you need them to employ or are too obsessed with performing some irrelevant task. Add to that the fact that plenty SLs don't have a mic, have a mic that sounds like they're flying through a thunderstorm in Antarctica in an open fuselage plane (which I hate, since usually they end up concluding I'm ignoring them, even if I yell at them that I can't hear them right) or don't speak English.

So yeah, I like to command once in a while until I remember that commanding is a giant pain in the metaphorical ass.

echo
2008-09-11, 20:04
Guess that the teams on TG do follow orders or what?

Yes, they follow orders or they can get reported for not following commanders orders. (e.g. valid orders from the commander)

I Co'd this week and it went well, however I had a few guys moaning at me, but what can you do? The squads managed to get fire bases and bunkers up with my permission of course, however what I hate about commanding is getting all the bitching from squads getting raped by helicopters. (Gets on my nerves, they always ask for another squad to move in on the flag to help out when you have a friggin helicopter firing on it)

silentshooter
2009-01-11, 16:20
I get really often in play co at PR(in the local offical server eatw)

about almost 95% ,because of the graphic is too lag in playing in first person view

or sometimes i do the things such as :
pick eng kid to drive abandom truck back from some fxxkxxx selfishly sq even it's
far far away or stuck in some place deep in the forest....

so i intend to take the co job instead.

seldom link to foreign server cause by the number of my ping (about 6xx)

only take co job once for now in public server which i forgot it's name

but i do like to help the team by coordinate the communication
transportation arrange
joint sq attack operation
and reply the sq request
and so on.......

althought i'm just new in this kind of job

but i hope i can give the team a hand in the battle

Skodz
2009-01-11, 16:56
Since 0.8, I did it once.

Eddiereyes909
2009-01-11, 16:58
I dont command very often.

SuperTimo
2009-01-11, 17:13
only if there is nothing else to do, and that includes watching paint dry.

McBumLuv
2009-01-11, 17:21
I've played it about once a month, at most, in pr v0.8.

I'm usually very frustrated, because while I would love to plan it out, almost every SL already has intel on the whole battlefield than the commander, which isn't right. They know when and where to attack, they know where many enemies are, and they just use team chat to arrange transports. Hopefully if they are restricted in intel, the commander would finally be able to coordinate the team without having to override the SLs plans. The SLs should be dependent on the CO, not the other way around.

AgentMongoose
2009-01-11, 19:17
It seems to me like every time I play commander in order to get the team in balance One squad, usually a tank squad or similar asset squad, refuses to listen- and at least 50% of the time the squad is run by a server admin who tells me to bugger off and he gets to do what ever he wants- It really kills the my drive to command.

Michael_Denmark
2009-01-11, 20:19
It seems to me like every time I play commander in order to get the team in balance One squad, usually a tank squad or similar asset squad, refuses to listen- and at least 50% of the time the squad is run by a server admin who tells me to bugger off and he gets to do what ever he wants- It really kills the my drive to command.

I hear you, its frustrating, been there my self plenty of times, although not sure if any server admin has been one of teh refusing ones. Then again, taken the amount of times i have played as CO, why not.

Anyhow, your experience about the frustrating part when they don't listen to you, makes you how much a CO player in your opinion?

Thx for replying to the thread, think the topic is more important than ever due to the fact that so few apparently go CO these days.

McBumLuv
2009-01-11, 20:30
That's true, and I think it's because the team can coordinate on it's own without a commander (or they think they can at least, and therefore ingore the commander most of the time). You might be interested in my suggestion in my sig, since it deals with the issue of every SL and SM having every bit of information at their hands at any time, and would thus encourage commanders to unify and coordinate the team properly.

Michael_Denmark
2009-01-11, 21:35
That's true, and I think it's because the team can coordinate on it's own without a commander (or they think they can at least, and therefore ingore the commander most of the time). You might be interested in my suggestion in my sig, since it deals with the issue of every SL and SM having every bit of information at their hands at any time, and would thus encourage commanders to unify and coordinate the team properly.

Yes that teams think they can do without a commander is the one great misunderstanding in PR. Well, maybe they can in the short run, but they cant in the long.

Not 100 percent sure on your SIG, thus please enlighten me; Im not a native English, so its probably the old langue barrier enveloping again.

Q: what do you normally do, when playing CO (if you do so) and the team think it can do without you?

McBumLuv
2009-01-12, 00:25
Q: what do you normally do, when playing CO (if you do so) and the team think it can do without you?

I try to see what I can do with the resources I have, but in the end I rarely do anything except tell a few squads to attack here adn there, while others defend here. I'll use the area attack, and if there really isn't anything to do, I'll just resign and make a squad/join one, or just quit the game entirely. Maybe it's just the games I've played, I don't know.

NyteMyre
2009-01-12, 09:53
Played as dedicated CO once on Qwai. But even though I didn't make many mistakes (someone was attacking the next flag while another squad defended one)....my team failed miserably. Every defending squad got wiped out, and every attacking squad didn't even make it to the flag.
Not a single SL reported enemies and nearly no squad talked back to me.
I just didn't had luck with that team.

But mainly, my only CO experience is to take the position when an Area Attack is up, spam: "REQUEST JDAM !!!" and after a request leave it again.

Michael_Denmark
2009-01-12, 20:14
I try to see what I can do with the resources I have, but in the end I rarely do anything except tell a few squads to attack here adn there, while others defend here. I'll use the area attack, and if there really isn't anything to do, I'll just resign and make a squad/join one, or just quit the game entirely. Maybe it's just the games I've played, I don't know.

Copy.

Could be like you say, that's its the games you played. Then again, maybe it could also be that you didn't have plan up for the map you went CO on? Or that you didn't know how to communicate your plan to the team? Only you know.

Hope your going to get some better rounds playing CO, cause in this game, it is worth it.

Michael_Denmark
2009-01-12, 20:22
Played as dedicated CO once on Qwai. But even though I didn't make many mistakes (someone was attacking the next flag while another squad defended one)....my team failed miserably. Every defending squad got wiped out, and every attacking squad didn't even make it to the flag.
Not a single SL reported enemies and nearly no squad talked back to me.
I just didn't had luck with that team.

But mainly, my only CO experience is to take the position when an Area Attack is up, spam: "REQUEST JDAM !!!" and after a request leave it again.

Qwai copy. Love that map. Used it as my primarily team-training-map for more than a year. It provide a lot of options when in battle too, regardless of side.

Luck is absolutely a part of the CO challenge. Remember I told my self at some point way back now, that luck is not a factor. Truth is though, that it is a factor.

Hope I dont sound to harsh, but it sounds to me that your team lacked some focus in those attacking/defending dynamics. Apologies if I sound too harsh.

In my mind its the CO function being responsible for the outcome of the battle. Not the team - although i agree that it can feel like such when being a PR CO facing defeat.

?Maybe thats part of the reson why so many players wont try it out, cause almost everybody will point one way when taking defeat; at the CO!

McBumLuv
2009-01-12, 21:05
^that's possible, though I've also taken hits by people who complain about the lack of need for a CO, and who mainly use me as a leeway to complain about vaious squads not performing as they would/should. It's stressful and not fun most of the time the way it is now.

The last round I played, which I used as an example, was in my server as the Brits, about 3/4 full. It was Fools Road, an excellent map, And I had a Recon Team, three infantry squads, and a half infantry half APC squad. There was an IFV team, which was locked incidentally, it was also the same squad that played as mini-tanks on Qwai with the Chinese APCs the last round, whilst complaining about those stupid infantry squads for not getting their sh*t together and capping flags (they lacked transport).

Anyways, as commander, I was able to relay the information about the location of tanks only, a job anyone could have done through team chat. The IFV squad kept complaining to me about all the other squads not performing to their utmost, and few of the other squads ever contacted me about targets, I had to ask every other time to see if they were being engaged, only to find out that they had a tank and infantry attacking them :roll: Well, soon after I dropped the Arty to no avail, I just called it quits for the night. I wasn't needed or wanted, so I wasn't going to stay any longer.

And Micheal_Denmark, the thread in my sig is https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18-pr-suggestions/51625-completely-removing-map-friendly-positions-infantry.html, it's about trying to limit the use of maps in HUD and therefore limit complete battlefield intelligence to every player. I believe it would help out commanding if SLs actually asked you to command them than if they were free to make up their own tactics based on the fact that they often have more intelligence of the entire battlefield than the commander.

wuschel
2009-01-13, 10:51
I play CO when I am in the mood to relax a little in this small stinky trash can they call CO trailer.

Even when one is not too experienced, putting up a simple attack/defend scheme for the squads and let them execute it benefits the team a lot. Especially on pub servers getting one to three squads to perform well and coordinate their operations can save the round.

What I really would like to see is the tricks from the box: An example of how closely You guys are micromanaging squad operations i.e. two front attack on a position, defense with air support coordination, etc.