PDA

View Full Version : Commanders without experience

Ccharge
2008-08-07, 14:12
some of you might now agree with me but...

when in a squad sometimes the team has a really horrible commander and pritty much every squad is following him head over heals before they even think out what there doing. some of the more commen orders i see is:

defending a flag that is in no jeprody at the moment.

forcing a head on assult through enemys that outnumber your squad and have defences/ vechiles when your squad itself doesnt have much cover or correct equipment.

distraction from the middle of a firefight to go build a firebase/ bunker.

now correct me if im wrong but we have all had those commanders that dont exactly get the term "strategy". Sometimes its just a waste of resources. so consider what your doing before you do it and dont be afraid to give your commander sudjestions.

MAINERROR
2008-08-07, 14:28
Please what? I don't really the point.

And welcome to the forums and to PR. ;)

Rudd
2008-08-07, 14:43
Welcome to the forums mate

this is how you handle bad commanders

"Commander, this is squad 4"
wait until he gets back to you, repeat if necessary
he'll say something along the lines of "Come in squad 4"
You'll say "4 here, unable to do action X, suggest Y"
If he isn't a power hungry 5 year old he'll go "Roger that 4, informing relevant squads, commander out"

If you do have a power hungry 5 year old on your hands, go tab, manage, find the commanders name and mute. I sometimes do that even with good commanders if I need to listen and he isn't using selective squad communication.

Ccharge
2008-08-08, 04:48
one im new to forums but been playing PR scince release of 0.6 and most of the commanders i talk about are just inexperienced. All im saying is dont do what ever they say when ever. consider it and give feedback. If its laginiment you follow orders. if not then talk to him.

Desertfox
2008-08-08, 06:00
Welcome to the forums mate

this is how you handle bad commanders

"Commander, this is squad 4"
wait until he gets back to you, repeat if necessary
he'll say something along the lines of "Come in squad 4"
You'll say "4 here, unable to do action X, suggest Y"
If he isn't a power hungry 5 year old he'll go "Roger that 4, informing relevant squads, commander out"

If you do have a power hungry 5 year old on your hands, go tab, manage, find the commanders name and mute. I sometimes do that even with good commanders if I need to listen and he isn't using selective squad communication.

I don't think alot of people really know about the selective squad VOIP, I think I found out about around .6

Spaz
2008-08-08, 07:46
I don't have any problems with new commanders as long as they read the manual first. And if someone needs help and asks in a good way ill have no problem helping them.

General_J0k3r
2008-08-08, 09:51
Desertfox;758159']I don't think alot of people really know about the selective squad VOIP, I think I found out about around .6

sadly, selective squad voip does for some fucked up reason not work for me :(

MAINERROR
2008-08-08, 10:32
Well A commander can't force you to do something stupid. If you think that it is too risky then don't do it and suggest something else.

To build a bunker/firebase is not a distraction. It's one of the most important thing in PR. Just try to fallbeck a bit, let two guys without shovels back to give some suppression fire and the rest should go and help building the deployable asset.

cyberzomby
2008-08-08, 11:30
Havent got a problem with new Commanders. I got a problem with commanders who DONT use the B button to talk to individual squads. Its annoying as hell when your a squad leaders. Hampers you internal squad voip a lot! ( from your perspective )

I even tell them to use the B button several times but they just wont...

Also! Commanders who yell at squads trough V voip because that squad didnt do what he wanted to do! Or commanders who get frustrated and blaim the squads when they are loosing!

My point is: see! Lots of things worse than a newbie commander!

.blend
2008-08-08, 12:08
Recently, having any commander at all is pure luck, making even a noobish com acceptable.

btw, individualsq voip via B doesnt work for me, is there any trick to it?

cyberzomby
2008-08-08, 12:10
You gotta be in the commander screen and highlight the squad, than press B.

And I agree with the: any commander is better than none. But I cant blame the guys for not being commander. Most of the time its outright boring!

Rudd
2008-08-08, 14:01
I sometimes teach commanders how to use various functions, "how do I destroy a firebase". But I suppose its EA's fault for not making the selective voip ability obvious

cyberzomby
2008-08-08, 16:16
Yea, while were on that. How DO I destroy a firebase? Never had to this but you never know when I have to right?

Rudd
2008-08-08, 16:17
Commander screen, right click on the firebase, demolish

Ccharge
2008-08-09, 03:24
MAINERROR;758293']Well A commander can't force you to do something stupid. If you think that it is too risky then don't do it and suggest something else.

To build a bunker/firebase is not a distraction. It's one of the most important thing in PR. Just try to fallbeck a bit, let two guys without shovels back to give some suppression fire and the rest should go and help building the deployable asset.

well. for one. with noobish commanders on servers that say u must follow com orders they are like "follow my orders" or something cuz they think htey are all powerful.

and when i say build a firebase. i mean halfway across the map when your attacking a flag. and yes firebases and bunkers are very valuable but the new commanders always seem to have a tendance to place them were there not needed or to not use them at all.

Eddiereyes909
2008-08-09, 03:41
Not all newbie commanders are bad.

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f112-tales-pr-frontlines/13914-pr-player-recommendation-thread-59.html#post405770

Tirak
2008-08-09, 04:08
well. for one. with noobish commanders on servers that say u must follow com orders they are like "follow my orders" or something cuz they think htey are all powerful.

and when i say build a firebase. i mean halfway across the map when your attacking a flag. and yes firebases and bunkers are very valuable but the new commanders always seem to have a tendance to place them were there not needed or to not use them at all.

They could be planning for an enemy counter attack, sometimes the position of a firebase is better set to help retake any flags you lose, or maybe he wants to set up a vehicle depot so that you have more vehicles on the map. While there are the occasional petty tyrant commanders who seem to want nothing more than your squads gruesome death, there are times when they're planning for eventualities you're not thinking of. SLs deal with the immediate objective, what is happening directly around them, the CO has to plan for what will happen ten, twenty and thirty minutes from now, so cut the CO some slack if you don't immediatly get what's going on. Wait for a lull and ask him what his goal is, if he has time, he'll explain it to you, if he doesn't he'll tell you he doesn't have the luxury of spelling it out right now, and if he's just jerking your chain because he can (or if you've been giving him all kinds of crap), he'll tell you to Shut up and follow orders. In any event, trust his judgement or try and guide him on the proper use of your squad.

Michael_Denmark
2008-08-09, 15:59
Commanders without experience absolutely exist in the present frame of Project Reality. But please do not forget that the opposite also exists; Squad Leaders and even entire teams without experience lead by commanders with experience.

Claymore
2008-08-09, 20:51
Don't worry, you'll see less commanders in 0.8, if any. Squad leaders are going to be able to build firebases / bunkers themselves so..

gclark03
2008-08-09, 22:10
Everybody starts as a commander without experience. Give them a break - one day, they could end up becoming the best commander PR has ever seen, and on the other hand, they can still suck until 1.0.

The bottom line: give everybody at least one chance, but no more than three.

Ccharge
2008-08-09, 22:50
ok you got me on some spots but im firebases and bunkers are allways a problem. some commanders are amazed by the fact that they can build assets and get over exicted so they decide to build one at you main base were you already have spawns, or if your team is winning and they place a buunker al the way at a flag that would take atleast 30 mins of consisant push to get to it and by the time they got there the game would be over.

Sadist_Cain
2008-08-10, 00:18
Don't worry, you'll see less commanders in 0.8, if any. Squad leaders are going to be able to build firebases / bunkers themselves so..

Have faith in the Devs ;) I think we'll see more commanders than ever in 0.8

I have no problem with inexperianced commanders as long as you dont act like a twat and ask for help, I'm always glad to assist and it's good if you listen when an SL tells you summin isn't possible

Masaq
2008-08-10, 00:34
My hunch would be on people fighting to get commander, then fighting to get automatic rifleman, and then everyone left will be fighting to be the squad's medic :p

Tirak
2008-08-10, 01:39
ok you got me on some spots but im firebases and bunkers are allways a problem. some commanders are amazed by the fact that they can build assets and get over exicted so they decide to build one at you main base were you already have spawns, or if your team is winning and they place a buunker al the way at a flag that would take atleast 30 mins of consisant push to get to it and by the time they got there the game would be over.

Placing a bunker at your main gives you cars at main, not such a bad idea now is it?

Biggaayal
2008-08-10, 13:31
All commanders are commanders and all commanders are good!

Think not what your commander can do for you, but what you can do for yuor commander. Most of the time squadleaders do not provide up to date situation reports. Thus the commander cannot make good decisions. A co can only be as good as the info he is getting from his squads as he is virtually blind himself.

Now if they don't listen to the bottom-up info, that is a problem.

General_J0k3r
2008-08-10, 14:05
Masaq;760147']and then everyone left will be fighting to be the squad's medic :p

i certainly hope so :D

edit. i agree with tirak. you can easily demolish the bunker in the new version and build it somewhere else, up to that point you have it providing transport. it's an excellent! idea :)

Ccharge
2008-08-10, 14:46
Placing a bunker at your main gives you cars at main, not such a bad idea now is it?

no but it would be more useful at a flag more up the battlefield. that means they have a closer spawn for the entire team, they can get vital kits closer to the front lines, you have a vechile for the team up there 2, and if a reallys lost the Squad can spawn closer to the battlefield.

General_J0k3r
2008-08-10, 15:21
no but it would be more useful at a flag more up the battlefield. that means they have a closer spawn for the entire team, they can get vital kits closer to the front lines, you have a vechile for the team up there 2, and if a reallys lost the Squad can spawn closer to the battlefield.

a) demolish order
b) e.g. on sunset => only one flag => only one bunker => a bunker at the base makes sense

it all depends on the situation and map man

Smooth[EST]
2008-08-19, 11:06
I see bigger problem in Squad leaders incompetence than commanders. Usually there is 2-3 SL-s who knows what they are doing. Next scenarios are very common:
-A squad takes vehicle, goes to frontal attack with no RP set, gets blown up by ambush, then goes back to mainbase and all starts again.
-Commander asks to build the firebase but nobody listens- no spawns, team looses.
-Commander asks to defend certain flag, SL dont respond or tells commander to piss off.
- and so on

PPL with no RL army experience dont acknowledge how vital is the leadership role in army for success. There is reason why you MUST do what your superior says. In RL there will be chaos without order on battlefield and that means wasted assets, wasted soldier and civilian lives.
Discipline means that you follow orders even when you dont like it or not. That is the key of success for any army.

Of course there can be CO who has no idea what he is doing but its not too common in PR. More common is that SL THINKS that CO is incompetent and therefore dont follow orders.

cyberzomby
2008-08-19, 11:59
When I dont agree with the commander ( yesterday for example: Kuffrah: My squad was the only one at Oil storage and we just fell under infantry attack. We got ordered to push for refinery ) I talk to him about his order. Let him know what my plan was or what my situation is ( under attack ) and than if he sticks with his order I do it. Plain and simple. If Im commander I want people to listen to me so its only natural to do the same.

para_hjs
2008-08-24, 09:58
Try being CO, then reply. You have 6 squads, 3 of those SL will comply to orders/tactic. As CO in a team where 50% of your officers do not comply = frustrating.

cyberzomby
2008-08-24, 10:46
Yea that can be very frustrating. A few days ago I had the best game being a CO on mestia as Militia. The squads listened, I built firebases in good positions and had intel as soon as I asked squads about the situation.

I also learned leaving an APC in reserve can be a good back-up plan.

Skodz
2008-08-24, 10:58
Its always up to SL to obey or not... If SL obey a newb CO, the SL is probably newb too... lol

Btw, commanders need improvement, its not very interesting vs SL or SM.

To me, the commander 2 most important task are:

1-To build assets in good location
2-To rely communications and coordinate squads!

If you cannot do these 2 important points, do not go Commander.

Michael_Denmark
2008-08-29, 20:03
Try being CO, then reply. You have 6 squads, 3 of those SL will comply to orders/tactic. As CO in a team where 50% of your officers do not comply = frustrating.

So true, unless you decide to go as CO for exactly such teams. Then it can actually become quite a positive experience.

Can only recommend trying it out.

Sadist_Cain
2008-08-30, 13:09
The army "way" from my experiance

Soldier go to this location now! Disengage!

"Yessir I'm off" *Really dont wanna do this, bad idea*

*blown up*

"What happened???"

"sir I did what you told me to"

Work the system ;)

Cassius
2009-01-31, 14:34
some of you might now agree with me but...

when in a squad sometimes the team has a really horrible commander and pritty much every squad is following him head over heals before they even think out what there doing. some of the more commen orders i see is:

defending a flag that is in no jeprody at the moment.

forcing a head on assult through enemys that outnumber your squad and have defences/ vechiles when your squad itself doesnt have much cover or correct equipment.

distraction from the middle of a firefight to go build a firebase/ bunker.

now correct me if im wrong but we have all had those commanders that dont exactly get the term "strategy". Sometimes its just a waste of resources. so consider what your doing before you do it and dont be afraid to give your commander sudjestions.

That happens when squads do not report to the CO. When you have a CO tell your commander what your squad is doing and update him everytime your situation changes. WHen you see hostiles tell your CO. If he sees your 6 man squad and apc inf and Vodnik markers, he maybe wont order your squad on a frontal assault without back up.

Cassius
2009-01-31, 14:37
sadly, selective squad voip does for some fucked up reason not work for me :(

It does work. When you select a squad in the Com Post and hit b nothing happens on the screen but the selected squads can still hear you.

AgentJadeD
2009-01-31, 15:14
Well last night I had a great night commanding. We almost won 3-0 All squads gave me updates and status of enemy troops. APC's moving in from different locations.

http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/large/89f6d7f1cf0cbda1b8fdb4a76a1e667c16d1d1e1.jpg (http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/89f6d7f1cf0cbda1b8fdb4a76a1e667c16d1d1e1.png)

http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/large/7c9cf882e0fd850cb3300f5487612ff0dbfe76d2.jpg (http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/7c9cf882e0fd850cb3300f5487612ff0dbfe76d2.png)