PDA

View Full Version : Event Project Reality LAN Party 2008 (UK)

Rhino
2008-08-02, 15:47
http://media.realitymod.com/headers/prbf2_official_event.png (https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10-pr-general-discussion/39264-uk-project-reality-lan-2008-a.html)

Ever wanted to take on the Project Reality developers in person?
Ever wanted to buy them a beer and thank them for their work?
Or just see who's behind the tags?

Well, here's your chance!

Project Reality is proud to announce the first official PR LAN party in the UK, 13th/14th September 2008!
The event, organized by our very own [R-DEV]UK_Force and [R-DEV]Undies, will take place in the Armour Center in Bovington, which is the home of the Royal Armoured Corps.

This unique location not only provides the LAN cabling, power, screens and seating needed for proper gaming, but also gives you the possibility to get a DEV-guided tour through the tank museum!

Play Project Reality at it's best, have beer and BBQ, chat with the DEVs and enjoy your time!

That's not all by far, so don't miss out on this chance! The max number of visitors is limited to 30, so sign up today!

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10-pr-general-discussion/39264-uk-project-reality-lan-2008-a.html

DISCLAIMER: All attendants must be at least 18 years of age.

-The Project Reality Team

=Romagnolo=
2008-08-02, 16:16
I wish I lived in England just to meet every player and dev personally.

Good luck for those who is going to be there and please, take pictures and post in the forums :D

Viglen
2008-08-02, 17:06
I Will be there !

Eddiereyes909
2008-08-02, 17:39
The sign up is limited to 30? I thought it would be epic 64 players battles.

Rhino
2008-08-02, 17:43
The sign up is limited to 30? I thought it would be epic 64 players battles.

I think the plan is that we get a 64p server and we have all the LAN guys vs internet pubbies as some of the games hehe :D

But ye, shame we can't have a 32p vs 32p games :p

gazzthompson
2008-08-02, 18:01
pitty its 18+ , can understand why though

Rhino
2008-08-02, 18:07
pitty its 18+ , can understand why though

ye its cos of all the strippers we are planning to turn up as a big surprise so right now we are being all hush hush about it, and the money for them comes from all the donations we get :D

na its cos you are going to be stepping onto a army base :p

LeChuckle
2008-08-02, 18:35
Rhino;752768']ye its cos of all the strippers we are planning to turn up as a big surprise so right now we are being all hush hush about it, and the money for them comes from all the donations we get :D

na its cos you are going to be stepping onto a army base :p

oh good, now i dont have to worry about how to ghet theere

*shit Rhino's quote is not visible in here :(

cyberzomby
2008-08-02, 18:43
Sweet! I might even consider coming over :P Live in Holland so it should be doable ;)

Would be cool if I could !

Deadfast
2008-08-02, 19:04
There are 2 big problems preventing me from attending - I don't live in the UK and as a bonus I'm 17...

Too bad, catch you on PR 1.0 lanparty :D

cyberzomby
2008-08-02, 19:39
3 hour drive from Dover. And I had a 3 hour drive in front of that to get to Calais! Almost forgot the 1,5 hour boat trip across. So thats 7,5 hours to get there! I do have a very good reason to go to this lanparty! Havent been on one in a long time and PR is always nice and dandy!

joey_deacs
2008-08-02, 19:50
looking forward to hosting you guys see you soon

=(DK)=stoffen_tacticalsup
2008-08-02, 21:05
This is only a coverup for secret recruitment by the MI-5 in order to get beta testers of higly prototype U.F.V.'s (unmanned fighting vehicles).

Join the "LAN" - Local Area Non-existent?

agentscar
2008-08-02, 21:51
Ah..Wish I lived in the U.K. so I could go to this,lol.

Hope it all goes well,and everyone has fun!

:)

[NPK]ShieldBreaker
2008-08-03, 09:40
Sounds like so much fun! I have already booked another travel then and bought the planetickets and everything. Have two veeks vacation back home in Northern Norway. Would love come over to UK instead.

One could even visit the largest tank museum in the world and see the Tiger :grin:

Sounds totally awsome to meet you guys and having a wicked lan party. 8)

:40_swig:

General Dragosh
2008-08-03, 11:35
Id come over with my bike if i had the strenght to drive it to UK from croatia.......... ^_^

Well have fun guys ...

HellDuke
2008-08-03, 20:30
Awww.. I live in Lithuania... Too bad... I'm 18 BUT it's in September and I will have started studying physics and I'd really like to get that grant for studying hard... So that's 2 big stop signs for the trip to the LAN party...

808-SLUGGO
2008-08-03, 20:40
you mispelled "center" dahahaha... :twisted:

HellDuke
2008-08-04, 09:49
you mispelled "center" dahahaha... :twisted:

and you misspelled "misspell" :mrgreen:

e-Gor
2008-08-04, 09:54
you mispelled "center" dahahaha... :twisted:No.

British english: Centre
American english: Center

The news post was written by a German (Rhino just copy/pasted into here), so either is correct. Slightly odd that the banner uses 'centre' (as it should do, as it's in england so uses the english spelling) yet the text uses 'center'. So the only problem is inconsistency which, while not incorrect, is bad style. :p

CareBear
2008-08-04, 12:53
18 a couple months too late :(

TH3pilot
2008-08-04, 21:04
sh1t , School starts 12th september Omg , bad luck.... i just wunna know am i gona play pr 0.8 til then ? i mean.. before school starts =))

Johny_B_Nasty
2008-08-08, 09:52
As usual as it is on LAN parties, is everybody supposed to take his own rig with him to the place?

Or will be there computers for our convenience?

Another important thingy: is the access to the place going to be restricted to British nationals only?

Or would everybody have access there?

e-Gor
2008-08-08, 10:36
- I think anyone's free to come. We had an american there for the dev visit last year. Probably best to mention where you're from to Undies if you sign up, and he can tell you for sure.
- There will be monitors (17" TFTs afaik), but not computers. So you need to bring your rig, but not a monitor unless you'd prefer to use your own.

Johny_B_Nasty
2008-08-08, 10:43
- I think anyone's free to come. We had an american there for the dev visit last year. Probably best to mention where you're from to Undies if you sign up, and he can tell you for sure.
- There will be monitors (17" TFTs afaik), but not computers. So you need to bring your rig, but not a monitor unless you'd prefer to use your own.

OK, got it; I thought that we were entering a military base. Usually, access is highly restricted there.

As for the rig that is an obstacle. I'm trying to imagine putting the computer on the plane... No, I don't want to imagine that :grin:

Undies
2008-08-08, 11:55
OK, got it; I thought that we were entering a military base. Usually, access is highly restricted there.

Yes the LAN is on an army camp, but everyone will have a warning beacon bolted to their head, and we will be followed around by a man with a dog and a machine gun :)
Failing that, me and UK Force, with the ABA Boys, will kung fu your a** and do some unarmed combat if we see anything fishy going on :)

Masaq
2008-08-08, 15:34
*Makes a point to have his Control and Restraint training updated before the visit*... Now if I could just get my final clinical placement at Rampton Special Hospital, I could get baton training in too lol.

Natala
2008-08-08, 15:35
Thank the God of Gaming, that there will be monitors there.

My Monitor is an old monster, in size and weight. He is good monster, a very loyal monster that has served me and it's former owner, with many years of pwning. But Fat. And he takes up too much space and weigh more than my actual computer.

I can't go anywhere with him, but he is a good breed of monitor, and there is still life in him yet, so I let him sit and dust away until the time will come for him to retire.

:oops:

Sadist_Cain
2008-08-08, 19:30
Thank the God of Gaming, that there will be monitors there.

My Monitor is an old monster, in size and weight. He is good monster, a very loyal monster that has served me and it's former owner, with many years of pwning. But Fat. And he takes up too much space and weigh more than my actual computer.

I can't go anywhere with him, but he is a good breed of monitor, and there is still life in him yet, so I let him sit and dust away until the time will come for him to retire.

:oops:

Have you tried crossing him with another breed? Perhaps if you can get it to mate with a palm pilot you could end up with a 19" Flatscreen :mrgreen: Careful though, if you use the wrong breed you could end up with an Iphone and you'll have to have it put down...

Masaq;758457']*Makes a point to have his Control and Restraint training updated before the visit*... Now if I could just get my final clinical placement at Rampton Special Hospital, I could get baton training in too lol.

C'mon dude I was discharged over a month ago now! :P

Smegburt_funkledink
2008-08-09, 10:37
I'm glad there's monitors being provided too, I've got a monster one and a tiny flat one... :oops:

Im thinking about getting a new sytem before we go though... :39_poscom

See you all there!

Noobofthenight
2008-08-12, 13:03
Hmmm, I could consider it, but it is a bit of a trek from Buckinghamshire.

I'd need dondoom and prince to be there as well, :p

dizabled
2008-08-12, 13:13
Sounds great!

Masaq
2008-08-12, 13:31
Those that are interested, there are still spaces.

Read the thread located in General Discussion:

PR General Discussion - Project Reality Forums (https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10-pr-general-discussion/)

For further details and sign-up information.

-=TB=-ante9383
2008-08-13, 20:03
I live in England (London) now, and it would be great to meet some of the UK-based players and DEVs, and represent Thors Brigade there - however I'd have to rent a car to get there since I wouldn't want to schlepp my system on a train...will have to see.

e-Gor
2008-08-13, 20:42
You can get carry bags for PC cases - specifically designed for LANs. That might make it easier to take it on the train, and it'll be cheaper than hiring a car.

Masaq
2008-08-13, 21:22
Not sure about that actually. You can often get a rental car for a weekend for £50, and a decent carry case for a PC (one that you actually trust to hold your baby safely) might set you back that much...

Worth shopping around for both, see which works out cheapest - but either way, would be good to have you along, Ante - have had some cracking matches in the past with you on TB.

MadTommy
2008-08-14, 07:09
Ante get your arse there mate!... or if you get to Bristol i can probably give you a lift from here.

Don't be a fool foool!

Drav
2008-08-14, 17:22
I live in England (London) now, and it would be great to meet some of the UK-based players and DEVs, and represent Thors Brigade there - however I'd have to rent a car to get there since I wouldn't want to schlepp my system on a train...will have to see.

Ante....if you go I'll go and I'll give you a lift. Who am I? NCO Tiger Bravo, had to leave to go skydiving for a couple of months.....

Was trying to decide whether to go or not....make my mind up for me!!

Drav

Undies
2008-08-14, 18:11
Best be quick to decide guys, we are very nearly out of places.

Drav
2008-08-14, 18:23
Ye I'm in....

Undies
2008-08-14, 18:54
Cracked already..... :) Breaking strain of a KitKat!! Cool, can you PM me your details Drav for booking you in etc.

Darkpowder
2008-08-14, 23:29
Go swat up people, if you don't know.. there might be a test at the LAN party....;)

YouTube - Challenger 2 tank - Fire order (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxQ4JQz-to8)

Commander initiated fire orders.. Challenger 2

Konfusion2113
2008-08-15, 02:25
I WONDER..... maybe the next patch will be out before the LAN party

UK_Force
2008-08-16, 15:13
This is Bovington, you will all see this place.

YouTube - challenger 2 demo (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BD7sU1ztZpw&feature=related)

YouTube - Challenger 2 training Bovington 2007 (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=O6u7_k0U2mY&feature=related)

YouTube - Great Sounding Challenger Tank Display At Bovington. (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xBtwSoyW2eo&feature=related)

YouTube - CVR T @ Bovington (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oIqJjeZefWs)

And the DEV Meeting visit last year, watch all the Devs, back off ....lol

YouTube - Bovington Armour 2 - Challenger 2 starting up (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=a8L1qMFLoqc&feature=related)

Jase starting up the AS90 ..... LOL

YouTube - Bovington Armour 3 - (R-DEV)Fortnight starting up armour (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Tow9CJTCZO4)

-=TB=-ante9383
2008-08-16, 18:42
I apologize for the delay, am currently in Paris!

I AM IN!!!!!

That is, if I can still come.

Your answers encouraged me, guys, I appreciate it!

Drav, I really appreciate it, yes I would like a ride to Bovington!
Would be great to meet you, Tommy, and all the other guys I've spent so many nights talking and playing with!

On Monday I will be back in London, and then we can deal with the details (assuming there's still space for me). Dear Undies, can you tell me what sort of info I need to give you?

Much love from Paris,

Ante

Masaq
2008-08-17, 00:58
Glad to hear it Ante :)

PM Undies with the required information just to make sure he gets it, and see you in a few weeks.

M.

[twl]Lan
2008-08-21, 20:02
Hey all,

I know the limit is reached, I wouldn't be able to travel with my gear from Sweden anyways but I was about to ask you if you have a photographer/writer/chronicler...

...until I realised it would be really popular to have a foreign citizen with a camera on a military base. Hehe, I don't think it counts that I work for British owned Rolls-Royce overseas ;)

So have a blast guys, catch you another time. :)

Lan,
Lost Platoon.

PS: Doh, just read the entire list of stuff to bring, "h. Camera / Camcorder". Interesting.

HunterMed
2008-08-21, 20:41
That would be awesome if Lan could report from the LAN. I remember some CATA reports of you :)

[twl]Lan
2008-08-21, 21:42
That would be awesome if Lan could report from the LAN. I remember some CATA reports of you :)

Thanks Huntermed, always nice to be remembered. I've covered matches before in Up North (a bf2 vanilla ladder), added a link below.

:: Up North Battlefield League :: (http://www.up-north.org/bf2/showreportsbyuser.php?id=339)

Also have covered some regular roleplaying conventions in Sweden with a newsletter onsite, though that was not posted on the web and some years ago.

The idea behind my offer is to give some aid to the devs to whom we owe a tremendous amount of fun over the last years, though I have no idea if or how they have this aspect covered already.

But anyhow, enough spam from me.

Cheers,
Lan

-=TB=-ante9383
2008-08-22, 02:18
I support this idea: invite Lan to the LAN party! :mrgreen:

Seriously, it would make sense:

1. He writes awesome reports.

2. He's a mate of mine.

3. He would represent LP, one of the largest and most respected clans playing PR. Seriously, this alone should be reason enough to make an exception for Lan!

It would be fantastic if the organisers could make one more spot for this very special guest from Sweden!

Undies
2008-08-22, 05:13
Lan, PM me please if you get a minute.

Undies

chudley
2008-08-25, 21:45
Id come over with my bike if i had the strenght to drive it to UK from croatia.......... ^_^

Well have fun guys ...

A mate of mine has just got back from croatio after driving there on holiday so no excuses for you :roll:

Just wondering how much of a LAN we could have if I could get hold of one of the buildings up here as well (you know the big blue ones- think Appspec etc)

Undies
2008-08-26, 05:13
Could we get the two to talk? That would be gleaming though.

Also, Croatia is do-able in a few days i expect, look at this bloke, Mark Beaumont, who did the whole world!!

BBC iPlayer - The Man Who Cycled the World: Episode 4 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b009zx42/)

joey_deacs
2008-08-26, 08:56
depend on access to servers and though DII i guess thats how they would connect?

Undies
2008-08-26, 16:52
IT Suite isnt DII its standalone.

chudley
2008-08-26, 19:33
Yeah was just wondering how big the non DII Lan is up here. there is no way it could be done over DII, or any other complete network that we own. only able to do it in classrooms I think

joey_deacs
2008-08-26, 19:56
do they have there own internet access in them? or it just a case of giving them acess?

chudley
2008-08-27, 11:02
think they are purely LAN mate

HELPME7
2008-08-27, 15:50
Sorry to be a party-pooper, but some donaters are somewhat dissapointed in the efforts to have an event that cost's the donater's money. People are saying that it is unfair to have an event people pay for and not have a chance to participate after their own dollars are forwarded to your accounts. Just throwing that out there. Note the Supporting member below my name!

bosco_
2008-08-27, 15:56
Eh? Who said you have to donate to visit the LAN?

e-Gor
2008-08-27, 16:04
Sorry to be a party-pooper, but some donaters are somewhat dissapointed in the efforts to have an event that cost's the donater's money. People are saying that it is unfair to have an event people pay for and not have a chance to participate after their own dollars are forwarded to your accounts. Just throwing that out there. Note the Supporting member below my name!None of this is payed for by donations! All costs are met by those going, not from PR funds.

joey_deacs
2008-08-27, 16:38
There is very very little cost involved in attending the LAN. From what i believe there is no funding from any score that i`m awaire of. Any costs are met by attending members!!

Undies
2008-08-27, 20:16
Sorry to be a party-pooper, but some donaters are somewhat dissapointed in the efforts to have an event that cost's the donater's money. People are saying that it is unfair to have an event people pay for and not have a chance to participate after their own dollars are forwarded to your accounts. Just throwing that out there. Note the Supporting member below my name!

Just to clear a few points up.
Nothing is coming from donated funds, and i would never even ask for it or suggest it.
At no point has anyone asked for money.
At no point has anyone wanted to put anybodys money into an account.

Scot
2008-08-27, 22:16
Unless you are willing to put money into my account, if so please PM me :D