PDA

View Full Version : General Armor Tactics

darkwarrior666
2008-06-27, 14:29
'ello gents. I consider myself rather new to the armor scene(and somewhat to PR in general, but eh) but I feel I've gathered a nice list of tactics that may or may not help you in combat. Here they are, hope they're helpful.

First, some general etiquette guidelines:

1: Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT try to solo crew a tank. You're not only wasting a very valuable resource, but are also frustrating other potential tank crews, who have a full crew waiting to roll. If you don't have at least a partner, leave the tank be.

2: If there's a dedicated tank squad going, let them take the tank. You(and maybe your friend too) may want to use it, but chances are they're alot better at it than you, and are likely being coordinated by the Commander with the rest of the team. If they've got slots, join the squad. If it's private, ask for an invite. Chances are they won't turn you down.

3: If you wanna go tanking, make a tank squad. If there's already one, join/ask to be added. It reduces alot of unneeded chatter, and helps your commander coordinate you better.

And now, your battlefield guide:

1: A crew of 3 is optimal for each tank. Two operators, and one Engineer(on the 50 cal). Should you run into some nasty joo-joo in the battlefield, he can hop out and give you field repairs, allowing you to keep your forward position and still get the repairs you need. You will need to get your arse back to base if you need ammo(or your engi dies), however.

2: VOIP is essential to a successful tank squad crew. At the very least, the gunner needs to have VOIP to let the driver know when to stop. If you have a crew of 3, the Engineer on the 50 cal won't need VOIP, but it still helps.

3: If you're the driver, and you have VOIP, start spotting! You're an invaluable asset to your gunner(s), as you can call out bearing(on the compass) and range(right click to access the TV view, which gives you range) for them to send off a nice HEAT round. A typical alert would be voiced out as follows:
"Enemy contact, bearing two-five-zero, range four-five."
If the contact is moving, tell them the direction they're moving. Add "moving right/left" to the end of your alert.

4: If you're the main gunner, make an accurate judgement on what shells you should have equipped. If you're playing on Kashan Desert for example, you're gonna want Armor Piercing rounds, unless you're absolutely damn sure you've seen alot of armored vehicles die in the past few minutes, at which point you should load up your HEAT rounds, for greater infantry effectiveness. When in doubt, ask your driver.(technically the tank commander)

5: If you're the main gunner, tell your driver to stop when you need to aim your shot! If you're driving and the gunner yells "Driver stop!", then stop for the love of holy! This is absolutely essential. You try aiming the main turret when you're bouncing over rocks in the middle of the desert. And if your gunner can't aim, whatever he's not shooting will more than likely kill you. Murphy's Law always applies.

6: For the love of God, don't sit on top of a ridge. You're already the biggest target on the battlefield. If you sit on a ridge(unless for dire tactical reasons), get your gunner to hop out and paint a bullseye on the side of the tank for good measure.

7: When facing an enemy tank, never turn tail and run! Reverse, and pop smoke if you didn't get the first shot. If you did, it's still wise to reverse so your gunner gets a chance to load another shell. Turning around is quite stupid, as you just give your enemy a nice soft spot to shoot at.

8: If you're the gunner, try to avoid aiming backwards. You'll block your driver's vision, and that's never good. If you're in a combat situation, the driver can stuff it. If not, and the driver tells you to rotate your turret, do so immediately.

9: Try to operate with a fully functioning Infantry squad whenever possible. They're great assets to take out enemy HAT soldiers.

10: When operating with an Infantry squad, make use of your smoke shells! Shoot some smoke far ahead of them to help mask their entry, if you have confirmed enemy activity. If you want to go for the shock and awe factor, go through the smoke before they do. If there's enemies there, chances are a tank rolling through the smoke will have them in a state of sudden panic(if they didn't see you already), and gives your infantry squad a morale boost.

11: When your gunner says he's fired a shot, pull back. When he says he's reloaded, pull forward. If you're the gunner, always inform your driver what you're doing, as sometimes the game gets a bit buggy and doesn't show the main turret firing from the Driver's or 50 cal's perspective.

12: When beating a retreat, try not to turn around until you're fully confident that you're out of enemy range, as giving your enemy a clear shot to your weak spot is generally a bad idea.

13: More or less an expansion of 12...never show your rear end to an enemy, unless you have a death wish.

Likely to add more as I figure out more. I'm a little tired at the moment, so I may have missed some.

Hietaa
2008-06-27, 16:54
Biggest rule is never in any situation 1 man tank. Even if there isn't anyone taking it by the moment but there will be someone to go with you or ready crew comes.

I would say 3 manning a tank is the only way to properly man a tank. By having engineer with you, you don't have to go and repair yourself by command post after facing and succesfully destroying enemy tank.

Tarawa565
2008-06-30, 01:31
Also, one of my favorites, shoot and scoot. This only works if you spot him before he spots you. Fire, pop smoke and go in reverse, gunner loads, smoke clears and you re-engage. But you need the gunner to tell you when hes loaded so you can stop. Its alot harder to hit a target moving, and a moving target.
David

darkwarrior666
2008-06-30, 03:27
Thanks, forgot to add that. Added 12 and 13 as a result.

Skodz
2008-07-04, 21:14
nice guide but I would like to add one point:

-Always try to provide fire support for Infantry, stick with them, do not go on your own.

darkwarrior666
2008-07-05, 05:22
nice guide but I would like to add one point:

-Always try to provide fire support for Infantry, stick with them, do not go on your own.
9: Try to operate with a fully functioning Infantry squad whenever possible. They're great assets to take out enemy HAT soldiers.

10: When operating with an Infantry squad, make use of your smoke shells! Shoot some smoke far ahead of them to help mask their entry, if you have confirmed enemy activity. If you want to go for the shock and awe factor, go through the smoke before they do. If there's enemies there, chances are a tank rolling through the smoke will have them in a state of sudden panic(if they didn't see you already), and gives your infantry squad a morale boost.

Infantry and Armor working as one unit make a nearly invincible force on the battlefield, I would like to emphasize that.

rangedReCon
2008-07-05, 06:30
I find having your engineer in a separate vehicle to also be effective, as a scout and so that they don't get shot out when you are spotted by a tank.

TAW_Cutthroat
2008-07-05, 09:09
A few more:

Never, EVER, leave the safety of a friendly flag without the turret live, if you are being pushed back. This doesn't apply near the start of the round but futher in there could be armour ambushing vehicles leaving main.

Fire smoke when you go critical, manouvre diagonal left or right and NOT back, a "pot shot" into the smoke will get you if you reverse.

When your engineer gets out tell him to stay at the SIDE of the tank and not the back or front. If he's at the back he'll get run over, and at the front he may get shelled. Common sense thing really, but there's always one.

If you are damage critical a hit anywhere will destroy you, if there is cover near by and you have fired off smoke, it is usually best to cut your losses, bail out and run to the cover, or turn around and drive for it. This is what I would call a lose/lose situation.