PDA

View Full Version : [Effect] Suppression effect tweaks [WIP]

Jaymz
2008-03-22, 20:54
Currently working on tweaking the suppression effect so,

1. Only happens with 5.56 and higher calibre weapons

So you can all stop bitching about pistols/smg's giving off the effect;)

Confirmed for 0.8

2. Only "activates" after the round has travelled 10-20m

Confirmed for 0.8

So you can all stop bitching about CQB being a little bit frustrating;)

3. Is triggered when bullets go overhead

Only one I'm not too sure about. With a bit of luck perhaps:)

WIP

=Romagnolo=
2008-03-22, 20:57
I like the actual it works, but with these planed tweaks, sounds good !

GeZe
2008-03-22, 20:59
Sounding awesome. You guys keep figuring out how do stuff that I thought would be impossible.

paco
2008-03-22, 21:11
Sounds great. Hopefully you can tweak into a good thing, because it is helpful.

Smegburt_funkledink
2008-03-22, 22:56
Make sure that:

4. Suppression effect works when bullets hit penetrable metal feces too.

Although #3 might expell the need.?.

KP
2008-03-22, 22:59

I LOL'd. :lol:

Cyrax-Sektor
2008-03-22, 23:02
What's weird is, currently, I'm not getting the black suppression effect at times. :/

Still, great ideas! Had a few guys uninstall PR (a sin, I know :p) because of the new effect.

Spaz
2008-03-22, 23:24
I havn't seen any of the problems (exept 3 :P) But its good that you are making it even better.

SethLive!
2008-03-22, 23:34
great tweaks! :)

don't see why you shouldn't be able to suppress with a pistol though.

gazzthompson
2008-03-23, 00:43
Jaymz;635770']Currently working on tweaking the suppression effect so,

perfect !!

Corporal Cody
2008-03-23, 01:29
Nice :)
Any idea on when we would see these changes implamented?

Masaq
2008-03-23, 01:31
When They Are Done, I suspect? :D

=Romagnolo=
2008-03-23, 01:44
Masaq;635967']When They Are Done, I suspect? :D

I think he wanted to know how it would be implemented to the mod. New patch ? 0.8 ?

[VENF] Gupyzer0
2008-03-23, 02:18

Thats what we need men, thanks 8-)

LeoBloom.
2008-03-23, 02:38
Is there any deviation added when you are suppressed? I mean, it seems a bit silly that people facing each other, shooting at each other, and "suppressing" each other can still shoot exactly where their gun is pointed, hoping to get that lucky shot.

MAINERROR
2008-03-23, 04:37
I like the effect like it is but lets try the new tweaks if all guys are bitchin ... :grin:

Clypp
2008-03-23, 04:49
I was playing today and was in a squad where a guy said he turned off the effect. I don't know how or anything like that, but apparently there is a way. I don't know if you can get punkbuster or whatever to prevent this.

Jaymz
2008-03-23, 05:29
updated first post a bit.

ReaperMAC
2008-03-23, 06:39
Good to hear Jaymz! :D

Saint
2008-03-23, 08:01
yeah go for it ;)

Bob_Marley
2008-03-23, 10:40
Jaymz;635770']1. Only happens with 5.56 and higher calibre weapons

There are weapons with a smaller calibre (ie bore size) than 5.56mm in PR?!?!?

I thought the MP7 had been taken out!

Expendable Grunt
2008-03-23, 11:11
Bob_Marley;636179']There are weapons with a smaller calibre (ie bore size) than 5.56mm in PR?!?!?

I thought the MP7 had been taken out!

Yeah I brought this up :p

Well, 5.46 is coming with the Russian faction.

I'm assuming he means shorter than the 5.56 NATO round.

Jaymz
2008-03-23, 17:26
I meant the 9mm rounds used in pistols/smg's and other smaller rounds like the 7.62x25 used in the militias PPSH. Don't worry, won't take it away from 5.45 rounds coming with the Ruskis.

[uBp]Irish
2008-03-23, 17:37
i'm kinda confused about the last two points from the first post.

you say that it has to be 10-20m before it activates.. but wouldnt you be scared sh**less if some guy came around the corner blasting an AK in your face?

the last point i dont see either. If a round hits the ground near you, wouldnt it make you duck or actually start to fear for you life? I know if some guy started shooting a saw at me, i wouldnt keep looking over the wall that i was shooting from...

just thought those last two points could be kinda tweaked a bit.

Jaymz
2008-03-23, 17:44
Irish;636491']i'm kinda confused about the last two points from the first post.

you say that it has to be 10-20m before it activates.. but wouldnt you be scared sh**less if some guy came around the corner blasting an AK in your face?

the last point i dont see either. If a round hits the ground near you, wouldnt it make you duck or actually start to fear for you life? I know if some guy started shooting a saw at me, i wouldnt keep looking over the wall that i was shooting from...

It's so you don't suppress yourself in CQB and to allow CQB in general to be smoother.

Expendable Grunt
2008-03-23, 17:47
Jaymz;636486']I meant the 9mm rounds used in pistols/smg's and other smaller rounds like the 7.62x25 used in the militias PPSH. Don't worry, won't take it away from 5.45 rounds coming with the Ruskis.

Aw, but I loved a squad of PPSh's being suppression gods... :(

ReaperMAC
2008-03-23, 17:48
Irish;636491']

Jaymz;635770']

;)

Irish;636491']the last point i dont see either. If a round hits the ground near you, wouldnt it make you duck or actually start to fear for you life? I know if some guy started shooting a saw at me, i wouldnt keep looking over the wall that i was shooting from...

That already happens, when a round hits the ground/tree/wall 2-3m from you, you get supressed. But its the only thing that happens. When rounds are flying past you would ALSO hit the deck. You wouldn't want to be standing up when bullets are flying through the air.

[uBp]Irish
2008-03-23, 17:49
i see what you mean jaymz, it's just.. i thought cqc was always chaotic and was only smooth if you were swat (go go samuel L. Jackson)

Darktrooper
2008-03-23, 17:58
Irish;636491']i'm kinda confused about the last two points from the first post.

Well, i don't believe you're gonna be "scared" if someone come around the next corner. You'll be surprised, of course, you'll scream maybe, but there's nothing too see with the growing feeling of fear when under continue and heavy fire from a machinegun 70 meters ahead. That's not what we can call "suppression", and IMO in that case the surprise of the player will be enough to simulate the reaction of the soldier: take cover!

Smegburt_funkledink
2008-03-23, 18:00
Make sure that:

Although #3 might expell the need.?.

LMAO!

As I can't edit for some reason:

I ment metal fences! Hah! Metal feces would kinda stink up the place.

I noticed that the suppression effect doesn't work when bullets hit the penetrable metal fences. Or was this deliberate?

Surround
2008-03-27, 08:05
Great improves. I really like the effect already but these just makes it better

DirtyRat
2008-03-27, 09:52
I think the suppression affects are a little extreme actually, I felt they were about right before. It's no biggie though.

=WFL= Sgt Bilko
2008-03-27, 11:00
I was playing today and was in a squad where a guy said he turned off the effect. I don't know how or anything like that, but apparently there is a way. I don't know if you can get punkbuster or whatever to prevent this.
Yes, I've brought this up at least twice before.

I like the effect and the changes sounds like good improvements BUT alas you can actually force it on everyone it'll fall flat. In the end having growing group of players w/o the effect at an unfair advantage.

DeltaFart
2008-03-27, 12:57
Not sure about the overhead thing, how close does it have to be? Cause I had rounds flying over me while at a range, albeit they were richochets, you could still tell they were going over your head, I dont want something hitting the 2nd story window when I'm prone on the ground causing me to be suppressed.
Also if possible, not sure if grunt mentioned this one already in this yet, make it accumalitive, so 1 shot from sniper will cause distortion to make you realize it, but not make it impossible to see anything

(HUN)Rud3bwoy
2008-03-27, 14:44
LMAO!

As I can't edit for some reason:

I ment metal fences! Hah! Metal feces would kinda stink up the place.

I noticed that the suppression effect doesn't work when bullets hit the penetrable metal fences. Or was this deliberate?

And I thoght you wrote it deliberately to show that we are so tough and rambo that we sh*t bullets/grenades.

(HUN)Rud3bwoy
2008-03-27, 14:47
And for to avoid spam:

I dont know how it will work out, but it sounds good.
However I didnt find any flaws with the current effect, maybe because I wasnt involved in any CQB since i play this new patch :(

AnRK
2008-03-27, 14:55
I like the ideas but could it not be done so the effects are reduced when up close/using smaller rounds rather then removing it entirely?

By the way does ROF make a difference to the amount of suppression you can be put under, been too busy being suppressed to really notice if the effect builds up when your being suppressed with a large volley of fire compared to people firing just enough to keep the effect active.

AnRK
2008-03-27, 15:05
Should have been a ? in the last part of my post just for the record. Wouldn't wanna come across as having bad grammar knowing some of the people on this forum :p

Spec
2008-03-27, 16:02
Ah, good to hear the CQB is saved. Now get the overhead thingy done and get fastropes in 0.8 and everyone is happy.

Cyrax-Sektor
2008-03-27, 16:54
I usually get a bumpy 30+ FPS, but after getting suppressed, I get 15- (the counter doesn't register anything below 15.0). So I'll tone down some things in the options. :)

Good news is suppression will be adjusted in a future release. :mrgreen:

DirtyRat
2008-03-28, 00:08
Today i was apparently suppressing myself quite a lot :-D

i was using the Auto Rifle, and whenever I was prone if a few of my bullets richoeted the ground in front of me it would suppress me...very annoying when I'm trying to suppress the enemy! I found I had to expose myself more than normal to negate the effect.

DavidP
2008-03-28, 00:17
I have a few ideas for suppression tweaks.

1. Dev's can you make it so the larger the caliber bullet the weapon fires the more intense the effect is? Say it takes 3 5.56 rounds to do the effect of one .308?

2. Would it be a good idea to increase suppression effect the closer the bullet is fired to the target?

3. Can you make it after prolonged full auto fire the shooter feels some effects aswell?

DavidP
2008-03-28, 01:14
(Since i cant edit my post for some reason)

Let me clear up what i meant.

1. Increasing the need to fire more rounds when using a smaller caliber bullet would be a great idea to prevent one faction from having an advantage over another when using weapons with less recoil and more ammo.

Example: Say it's USMC/Brits VS MEC/Insurgent. Since the 5.56 weapons are more accurate, Have more ammo per Mag[Usually], And do less damage. Then it would be only logical that they have a lesser suppression effect. And letting the suppression effect pile on would stop one side from having too much of an advantage over the other. Say this! It would take 3 5.56 rounds, and 2 AK47 rounds to do the same suppression effect as one .308 round.

2. Giving a greater suppression effect the closer a target is from the point of origin of the bullet, Will give people more of an idea who is shooting them.

Example: Say you're with your squad and you get shot. The effect is'nt that intense but still something. So it must be either a sniper or marksmen! Say yo get suppressed again but its strong! Way stronger then before, It must mean Infantry is nearby.

3. This one is simple. Sometimes i see people putting their guns on full auto and wasting more then half their rounds, Other times on burst and not just aiming but spamming. It really annoys as Rifleman because everyone asks me for ammo, And more so if SL. Giving some reverse suppression effect will tell people when they've fired too many rounds. I mean there is recoil already, This would just make things more realistic.

Okay 2 new Ideas.

4. Give back the SMG's suppression effect but make it really really light. Lighter then 5.56 rounds. Infact 7 9mm rounds should give you the same effect as a .308 round.

5. Give shotguns a huge suppression effect when fired inside a building! And i do mean huge! But to balance it out the shooter and everyone around him both friendly and not, Would feel the effect.

DavidP
2008-03-28, 01:16
Oh crap forgot this.

5. To keep shotgun suppression from being used to grief, Give the shooter a heavier effect then those around him. Except let it be a bit lighter.

What do you guys think?

Spec
2008-03-28, 01:25
Why would a shotgun make everyone unable to see anything? No to this.

And i think the rest could be hard coded.

About the small cal doing less suppression: No to that too. The G3 may be less useful for suppressing, but rather useful for lethal fire, while the M16 is not as lethal, but has lower recoil and higher ROF, so its better for suppressing.

DavidP
2008-03-28, 03:31
Why would a shotgun make everyone unable to see anything? No to this.
Because i've seen people rush into the bunkers on kashan and shoot their shotty's wildly and getting mowed down.

About the small cal doing less suppression: No to that too. The G3 may be less useful for suppressing, but rather useful for lethal fire, while the M16 is not as lethal, but has lower recoil and higher ROF, so its better for suppressing.
Dude do you know how much it sucks on archer when the USMC is shooting form the radio tower everywhere with pin point accuracy, And keeping you in chaos.

While it's nearly impossible to do the same to them? Having no scoped guns sucks.

Spec
2008-03-28, 03:48
Because i've seen people rush into the bunkers on kashan and shoot their shotty's wildly and getting mowed down.

On kashan? The only shotguns on kashan are breaching shotguns... Its not a big surprise that you get killed using them. And even if it was normal shotgun ammo, i doubt that can penetrate body armour, so why would anyone try to use a shotgun anyway?

Dude do you know how much it sucks on archer when the USMC is shooting form the radio tower everywhere with pin point accuracy, And keeping you in chaos.

While it's nearly impossible to do the same to them? Having no scoped guns sucks.

Having limited tickets sucks too. And afaik, the G3 has a scope, so this would only count for AK's - and i dont think the need balancing, they are worse, they are supposed to be worse.

DavidP
2008-03-28, 04:06
On kashan? The only shotguns on kashan are breaching shotguns... Its not a big surprise that you get killed using them. And even if it was normal shotgun ammo, i doubt that can penetrate body armour, so why would anyone try to use a shotgun anyway?
I dont get killed, My teammates do.

Having limited tickets sucks too. And afaik, the G3 has a scope, so this would only count for AK's - and i dont think the need balancing, they are worse, they are supposed to be worse.
/facepalm. No point in argueing with you.

Spec
2008-03-28, 04:53
I dont want to argue, sorry if i sounded mad.

About the shotgun, i wasnt talking about the effect the user gets but the others.

Actually, i think it wouldnt even be bad to have a different effect to everyone within a range in CQB, cause i can imagine it being very loud, but not the suppression effect we got right now.

And i really think that the US have enough trouble fighting unlimited enemies defending 3 caches at a time, but maybe i'm wrong. At least i found it not that easy, even if the US can snipe down from that mountain-thingie or, even worse, from the rocks.

Haze
2008-03-28, 07:16
The suppression concept is great but the implementation is difficult IMO.

In a life or death situation how would you react? There a number of variables to be considered. Some may include :

1. The closeness of the threat and if its location is known to you.

2. Your reaction to fear. Does fear paralize you for an instant...before you can think your way through it or does it immobilize you completely.

3. With an adreniline rush as in close quarters combat do you see the beauty in all around you incluing the worms in the ground below you or do you recoil into action whith all your senses/instincts peaking accessing your situation while grasping for every little trigger/straw of survival?

Great concept. Go devs. Great work.

DeltaFart
2008-03-28, 11:04
The suppression concept is great but the implementation is difficult IMO.

In a life or death situation how would you react? There a number of variables to be considered. Some may include :

1. The closeness of the threat and if its location is known to you.

2. Your reaction to fear. Does fear paralize you for an instant...before you can think your way through it or does it immobilize you completely.

3. With an adreniline rush as in close quarters combat do you see the beauty in all around you incluing the worms in the ground below you or do you recoil into action whith all your senses/instincts peaking accessing your situation while grasping for every little trigger/straw of survival?

Great concept. Go devs. Great work.
Like how you put it, seems tat 1 and 3 are what the soldiers are trained for. numer 2 I think would be a case of the rookies

Mr_B.A.Baracus
2008-03-30, 10:17

Confirmed for 0.8

Confirmed for 0.8

WIP

Excellent, having only just tried the new version and getting caught in CQB in the open, I was going to come here to suggest this distance change, glad to see it's already in the pipeline. Keep up the good work.

Fatal-M
2008-04-01, 18:44
looks awesome !!! good job :D

DeadboyUSMC
2008-04-01, 19:51
What about implementing something along the lines of limited respawns? That would make players fear for their "lives". Nothing extreme like only 1 respawn, but perhaps 5+ ?

Just an idea... Places attrition into the mix...

Deadfast
2008-04-01, 20:07
No please.

I believe I'm not the only one who has bad day from time to time.

Starting at screen "You can't spawn 'cos you wasted all your lives n0b" wouldn't make my day any better.

DeadboyUSMC
2008-04-01, 20:15
Well, if the suppression effect is supposed to create the "fear of death", why not make it that you actually have something to fear, like no more spawns? As it stands, the supression effect is more like "fear of annoyance".

G.Drew
2008-04-01, 22:01
We already have extended spawn times than increases each time we die, the last thing we need is a cap on how many times we spawn. Trust me i could see the gameplay going downhill if that was implemented

and just to make this clear: PR is NOT Armed Assault

G.Drew
2008-04-01, 22:02
/off topic :mrgreen:

DeadboyUSMC
2008-04-01, 23:47
and just to make this clear: PR is NOT Armed Assault

Thanks for clearing that up for me... I never would have guessed...

:duh:

TF6049
2008-04-03, 23:43
Make sure that: Suppression effect works when bullets hit penetrable metal feces too.

Sigged :)

101 bassdrive
2008-04-04, 14:18
"fear of annoyance".

haha good one xD
Id like that, itd be hardcore unzunz but wth as it is right now you got 20percent of your team fullfrontalcharging and wasting tickets like they had the right to spend those whilst infact the rest of the team pays till theyre broke.

again, itd be extreme, but it could work out.
atm: 1 life to reckon and maybe take 1-2 out. die. respawn and know the enemy squad location. pick em all out. equals 5-7 kills to 1-2 deaths.
so theres often no need to advance tactical. because if you move slowly and cautious, meanwhile some noobanzai you just picked out is eagerly awaiting to respawn and get back on you.
might be offtopic but I feel I cant stress this issue enough

M.Warren
2008-04-21, 16:07

Confirmed for 0.8

Confirmed for 0.8

WIP

My main opinion:

To save myself some excessive typing I will simply take an exerpt from Wikipedia:

"Suppressive fire differs from lethal fire (i.e. shoot-to-kill) in that its primary objective is to get the enemy to "keep their heads down" and thus reduce their ability to move, shoot, or observe their surroundings. While soldiers may be injured or killed by suppressive fire, this is not its main purpose.

To be effective, suppressive fire must be continuous enough to keep the enemy suppressed - that is, always thinking of staying safe behind cover. As long as the enemy can be kept fearful of the next round coming in, they will not be thinking of moving or shooting back. If there is so much incoming fire that the enemy can not move or shoot, the enemy is pinned.

Suppressive fire may be either aimed specifically (at an individual enemy soldier, group of soldiers, or vehicle) or generally (for example, at a building or treeline where enemy soldiers are suspected to be hiding.)"

The true idea of "Suppression" is to converge fire on an area or specific target to keep them pinned down from multiple sources of incoming fire. However currently in game (and by an abstract method) all it takes is just 1 soldier to make this occur, indeed abit silly and very unrealistic. (Unless he's point blank and firing full auto, then that makes sense.)

However to truely correct the issue should be based upon several factors:
1. How close the incoming enemy fire lands near to you.
<Note: Within 2-4 meters.>

2. How often the rounds from incoming enemy fire land near you.
<Note: More than 3 rounds landing near you within 1-2 seconds.>

By using these guidelines it should be quite easy to aquire the proper "Suppression effect" we've been looking for all along in the Project Reality experience.

But why should this work? Because if more than 3 rounds are landing near you within 2 seconds chances are the guy shooting at you is firing in rapid succession (firing for effect) and/or you are being engaged by multiple sources to keep you from firing back. Let's keep in mind, most people who fire for accuracy fire roughly 1 round per second. If there is more than 2-3 rounds in 1-2 seconds landing near you it's obvious your taking fire and you should theoretically be "suppressed".

My main point is it should take a team effort by a well coordinated infantry squad and their Squad Leader ordering people to fire at a specific target and stating "Suppressing Fire!" and following it up with both automatic fire and rapid succession fire. However currently Project Reality plays out like this: "You find yourself going completely blind because 1 guy took a lame pot-shot at you 100 yards away and completely hit the dirt 7 feet to your right." That's not the real idea of "Suppression" and if anyone tells you otherwise they're a nut.

Now my alternate opinion:
(If my main opinion wasn't made logical and simple enough.)

1A. Heavy suppression effect (as of v0.75) occurs when taking fire from an Infantry Support Weapon (Automatic Rifleman), all munitions fired from armor and aicraft (Main Cannons, Missles, Bombs, Coaxial etc.), mounted .50 caliber machineguns (HMMWV, Vodnik, Land Rover and Nanjing) and explosives (Hand grenades, C4 and M2 Slams.)
<Note: Heavy suppression effect as in complete blurryness and blackened outer peripherals as seen in the latest patch of v0.75.)

1B. Light suppression effect (from patches v0.6 and v0.7) occurs when taking fire from all standard infantry weapons including Pistols, Assault Rifles, Sniper Rifles, Marksman, Carbines and Submachine guns.
<Note: Light suppression effect as in partial blurryness (outer peripheals are not blacked-out) as last seen in the lats two patches v0.6 and v0.7.)

When being fired upon by munitons of mixed calibers such as infantry and tank/apc fire the greater effect takes place. That being the Heavy supression effect.

2. Only "activates" after the round has travelled 10-20m.
<Note: Good idea seeing we'll no longer blind ourselves when accidently striking the ground infront of us while behind cover in the prone position.>

3. Is not triggered when bullets go overhead.
<Note: Considering the fact that bullets don't make a "whizzing" sound going overhead. I feel if we actually could hear bullets "whizzing" over our heads then we may naturally seek cover anyways rather than forcing it with yet another suppression effect.>

Of course, I am unable to confirm if having 2 different sets of suppression effects can even occur or developed. Reason why I suggest this is that very few people had complained about the v0.6 and v0.7 suppression effects as they generally slightly blurred your vision. Not to the point where you've lost your sight so bad that you wanted to pull the Hubble Space Telescope from orbit and use it as a monocle in hopes to actually see again while under fire.

Anyways... I hope we get this suppression effect sorted out. It's been impacting infantry combat in a negative fashion for quite awhile now... I'm very open minded on certain things but some things just don't make sense to me. The suppression effect has been introduced into Project Reality with good intentions and I am very appreciative of this as it adds a whole new spectrum to combat, but it has been implemented in a completely wrong fashion. Completely wrong.

arjan
2008-04-21, 16:15
i agree with you

Jaymz
2008-04-21, 20:33
@ Warren : Unforuntately we can only have one type of suppression effect. As for needing multiple rounds to trigger it, I guess I can see if it's possible. It's definitely possible to decrease the radius at which the effect is triggered so we might lower that a bit.

Other than that, I disagree with you that saying that it's implemented in the wrong fashion. It's been implemented correctly but it just needs to be refined, which is what this thread is all about. I knew we couldn't get this working the way we wanted it in one release so hopefully come 0.8, it will be a lot closer to how you said it should be.

M.Warren
2008-04-22, 00:47
To [R-DEV]Jaymz,

Thank you for the swift follow-up on my post, good to know that it's been acknowledged. However there is another possible method to get the "Suppression Effect" to work if the "multiple round trigger" method cannot be devised.

How to explain? Humm... Well, you know what happens when taking multiple hits from sustained fire? You know, the red "pain" effect, like when the outer peripherals of the screen change from opaque red to solid red? If we can copy that effect and alter it so that it appears black instead of red and give it a slight blurr effect, then when rounds are landing near you the "suppression effect" would become progressively worse as more rounds come in and strike the adjacent areas around you. Rather than becoming instantly blurry from a single shot as of the latest patch.

So basically:
1. Copy the red "pain" effect and alter it so it's appears black instead.
2. Add a light vision blurr while this effect is occuring.

So if everything works out right, theoretically if 1-2 rounds land near you within 2 seconds you will endure a "light suppression effect" (Or none if capable of being altered as such as chances are your being fired at by a single soldier anyways.). As shot number and density increases if 3-4 rounds land near you in 2 seconds you will endure a "moderate supression effect". And if 5-6 rounds land near you within 2 seconds you will endure a "heavy suppression effect".

On another note, I agree with your remark in regards to it's implementation. It was a poor selection of wording on my behalf and if I could have thought to explain it differently I would have.

Just simply trying to state that the implementation of the suppression effect as of v0.75 currently has a greater effect on infantry combat than previously in v0.6 and v0.7 and currently proves to be alot a more difficult to work with than before. The usefulness of the suppression effect is indeed a good idea and is still in the process of being refined without a doubt.

Thanks again for putting your time and effort into the mod, i'm sure we'll see a significant improvement in the future.