PDA

View Full Version : [Gameplay] Laser Target Designation and CAS

dbzao
2007-12-27, 07:24
In PR v0.7 a new laser target designation system will be in place that will hopefully increase teamwork and cooperation between ground troops and CAS aircraft.

Take a look at this video preview and make sure to read the guide to know how to do it yourself once 0.7 is released. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW5U8QL_23k

Oldirti
2007-12-27, 07:29
AMAZING, i can't wait

IronTaxi
2007-12-27, 07:29
sexy

Oldirti
2007-12-27, 07:33
It looks kinda confusing at times, especially the first one, the Helicopter one looks confusing the most, i didn't see a green marker anywhere there x_x

dbzao
2007-12-27, 07:35
Maybe because it's white?

Brummy
2007-12-27, 07:52
Nice work! Love the GPS targeted Bomb :D

Spearhead
2007-12-27, 08:04
Yup it was changed to white... seems no one told me about this part when I revised the manual.

VipersGhost
2007-12-27, 08:07
Can choppers effectively engage targets at 1km that are lased.

Can they do it using the wire-guided munition without near perfect hovering at 1km?

It looks as if the stabilization problem will make it difficult to effectively lase a moving tank at long range.

Amazing that all of this is actually in-game now. Commander will have his hands full and for sure be having a LOT more fun. Jets have something to do.

marcoelnk
2007-12-27, 08:29
AMAZING!

Engineer
2007-12-27, 08:44
I'm still a bit confused... How does it work on moving targets?

I'm sure I'll find out after the release, but just wondering...

Masaq
2007-12-27, 09:43
Hot damn, that looks nice. Can see a lot of flyboy geeks having to learn very very fast - or not learning, and getting slated round after round by their team's infantry squads for not providing good air cover lol.

markonymous
2007-12-27, 10:12
Masaq;560523']Hot damn, that looks nice. Can see a lot of flyboy geeks having to learn very very fast - or not learning, and getting slated round after round by their team's infantry squads for not providing good air cover lol.

mhmm so all you want to do is make it hard for the "flyboys" by making that f-15 lasermissile system. i mean u have to be hovering 2 m away from the tank to hit it. And what does that equal? tanksniping. i hope you change this cus its just not gonna work imo. All the tanks in that video are unmanned get a guy to try and actually shoot the chopper and see what happens.

ABSOLUTELY love the other stuff though!!

Kan3ra
2007-12-27, 10:28
i heard that one abrams in iraq was damaged by some IED or something( i don't know what exactly) but he have to be destroyed by US and then A10 fired to him by AGM-65 Maverick(version with 57 warhead) to front armour and he standed this!! Then I ask You- is this maveric is with 57 kg normal warhead or with 135kg warhead (high explosive penetrator with delayed fuze) becuse it is not realistic to destroy by rocket like maverick 2 tanks and 2 aa for me

Wellink
2007-12-27, 10:31
the missles seem a bit powerfull destroying 4 or 5 targets with one shot but iam not army expert so if iam wrong just ignore me:lol:

It looks awsome tho cant wait for 0.7!

Surround
2007-12-27, 10:38
But how the systems work... amazing, you really made them all work. I´m almsot crying here :*)

Rhino
2007-12-27, 10:44
mhmm so all you want to do is make it hard for the "flyboys" by making that f-15 lasermissile system. i mean u have to be hovering 2 m away from the tank to hit it. And what does that equal? tanksniping. i hope you change this cus its just not gonna work imo. All the tanks in that video are unmanned get a guy to try and actually shoot the chopper and see what happens.

lmao. how can you say that without even trying it?

with pratice, me as pilot and shitewolf as gunner in the vBF2 F-15 use to be able to take out other jets with the wire guided missiles, and we have done that a min of 5 times and that was with a constant moving jet....

I can tell you that the wire guided missiles in choppers are a hell of alot easier than you may think, but they require more skill to use well ;)

bosco_
2007-12-27, 10:49
@Wellink: The device dropped by the Su wasn't a missile, it was a LGB guided bomb.

Outlawz7
2007-12-27, 10:52
All nice, but someone show me a video of AA, so we know, how to use those against the uber air assets.

Kan3ra
2007-12-27, 10:58
I know that was a GPS bomb but I said abount this rocket fired by A10 to four T90

bosco_
2007-12-27, 11:10
I know that was a GPS bomb but I said abount this rocket fired by A10 to four T90

I wasnt referring to you, hence the '@Wellink' ;)

Reddish Red
2007-12-27, 11:15
You know, its ashame that I can't fly in PR

Nice work though :D

Nickbond592
2007-12-27, 11:16
Looks Amazing, cant wait to try it out :D

Kan3ra
2007-12-27, 11:17
sorry than :-D

LtSoucy
2007-12-27, 11:43
Looks great cant wait to have that on my side!

hall0
2007-12-27, 11:52
WOW Great :thumbsup:

SNIPERxWOLFxGB
2007-12-27, 12:10
This brings comuaction to another level air to ground:lol:!!!

Nice Work Pr team:grin:

Fearosius
2007-12-27, 12:33
OMG, this will pwn for us Squad Leaders!!

Doom721
2007-12-27, 12:41
With the new way AA works and the new way aircraft works, I think you may have made them perfect in this mod for combined arms, I don't fly much but now I sure as hell will be ready to get a manpads for my squad and shoot down those buggers!

Sadist_Cain
2007-12-27, 12:55
Can't help but laugh at the folk whos mission on these forums seems to be to shoot everything down :P (pun intended) these new changes are awesome especially for teamwork, without teamwork they wont work and thats how we like it :D
Can't wait to get a squad gathered up and have a Commander (we're gonna be needing more folk like that!) go around lasing static tanks, busting bunkers with bombs ohhh this is gonna be great.
Maybe now the longbow can work as it should with PROPER hellfires :P

We all know woop woop we can shoot down a chopper with a tank. Try doing that while we paint you, telling the apache where youre facing and then shoot him while he goes above the trees for 1/2 a second, fires, dissappears and before you know it BANG... gone :P

Jedimushroom
2007-12-27, 13:02
This is going to be so epic!

Working soflams will mean much better ground - air co-ordination and therefore more teamwork. I can't even count the number of times where I could have used those soflams to get a tanks murdered but those damn lonewolf A 10 dudes couldn't be bothered to find it!

101 bassdrive
2007-12-27, 14:00
dont get me wrong here now on my critisism, but a few things concern me
one problem i see is that the apache is reallyreally sensitive to banking, it unfortunatly hasnt this nice stability the stock helos havoc and probably wz-11 have. so if it "flips" in the wrong moment, which happens easily if youre below a certain speed, its gonna be really hard for the gunner to acquire the target since his view is only about 10-15° and wont be able to adjust in time
another thing is that the pilot HUD still seems to be stock in the havoc, which means the tv missile indication is off, and for the apache it isnt even there. so while this might promote communication, communicating the direction of the target in that crucial moment can lose valuable time, we talk about half a second max. if the helo rises behind the hill and has to adjust angle first.. youre already dead.
we see the su25 got red HUD.. so it seems its customizable. can the helos get a working tvmissile HUDbox for the pilot?
will the tvmissiles be able to fire against the sky or is that problem still around that it doesnt react?
besides those things im happyhappyjoyjoy

Cheppi
2007-12-27, 14:15
Top notch stuff lads, can't wait to play it.

Have to say it the explosion for the GPS Guided bomb seemed a bit small and quiet, especially as it destroyed all of that armoured column, I haven't a clue how long it takes to improve something like that though, and its only a visual thing.

This looks like being one of if not the best update to PR gameplay wise. :D

S.P.C-[Reality]-
2007-12-27, 15:35
you ppl are driving me crazy, release the god damn thing or i'll jump off a building(lol jk :D). AWESOME job devs realy impressive.i have a feeling that 0.7 will pwn FH2 big time.

Clypp
2007-12-27, 16:33
The SOFLAM laser targeting is nice. The GPS bomb, however, seems too powerful for gameplay purposes. Or was that the JDAM with the big reload time?

Threedroogs
2007-12-27, 17:35
*orgasm*

Ironcomatose
2007-12-27, 17:47
Only thing that confused me was the GPS bomb dropped from the plane. Like how did he know when to drop it?

Katarn
2007-12-27, 17:54
He had a voice that said "locked on" but it was in arabic, so it was hard to discern. GPS Guided Bomb and the 2000LB JDAM are not the same. GPS is dropped by plane, JDAM is commander controlled. And yes, I KNOW that a JDAM is a GPS Guided Bomb, but I'm trying not to confuse people.

Rhino
2007-12-27, 18:03
just call the jet dropped bombs LGB, easier that way.

Mora
2007-12-27, 18:07
i also see the gun-cam screen of helos are still the same. i know its only a visual thing but its still the thing you look at..

Katarn
2007-12-27, 18:13
But Rhino, the one that was referred to was NOT the LGB, it was the GPSGB.

dbzao
2007-12-27, 18:46
It was a "LGB" but I wanted to call it "GPSGB" because it was the commander defining the target coordinates on the map and not with the SOFLAM. Yeah, for the engine the bomb is seeking an invisible laser target over there, but it's just a different approach that only the commander has.

Jaymz
2007-12-27, 20:03
@ AA whiners, chill out....AAV's will tear up jets that aren't acting on intel.

solodude23
2007-12-27, 20:14
Amazing work guys...both planes and choppers are much improved this way..no idea why anyone would say the opposite about choppers. Top notch work!

markonymous
2007-12-27, 20:20
i got a question to the DEVs: Is it impossible or just very hard to make stabilization on the different guns?

btw god thats some good work on the SOFLAM.

charliegrs
2007-12-27, 22:57
will the first bomb {the LGB} be able to hit a moving target?

great job by the way i think i messed up my pants watching this

Sabre_tooth_tigger
2007-12-28, 05:51
Can choppers effectively engage targets at 1km that are lased.

Can they do it using the wire-guided munition without near perfect hovering at 1km?

It looks as if the stabilization problem will make it difficult to effectively lase a moving tank at long range.

The Havoc is so stable it is imobile if you want it to be. I can park a havoc in the sky, leave the controls and go make myself a drink, come back & it wont have moved an inch. Should be stable enough?

Uncle Blues
2007-12-28, 09:23
I'm totally amazed. I was dreamming for it since devs mentioned it for the first time. ...and now it's a reality! Pinch me, maybe I'm dreamming again! ;)

Sadist_Cain
2007-12-28, 09:49
dont get me wrong here now on my critisism, but a few things concern me
one problem i see is that the apache is reallyreally sensitive to banking, it unfortunatly hasnt this nice stability the stock helos havoc and probably wz-11 have. so if it "flips" in the wrong moment, which happens easily if youre below a certain speed, its gonna be really hard for the gunner to acquire the target since his view is only about 10-15° and wont be able to adjust in time ...

Never noticed that. I find the apache smooth as silk and a really nice stable tankbusting platform. The "flip" youre talking about (or what I notice) comes in very useful. had an old battle rec somewhere where we got hit by a missle and the speed that the apache could do that wierd split S thing and get out of there avoided the hail of hydras that came following.

Regards to target aquistition and adjustment. as an SL I'd be lasing the target and communicating his direction of view. and if a tank can shoot down the apache in those few short seconds then credit to him :P

Id like to see tanks with smoke screens like the Shtore-1 system has. IR smoke that disrupts target locks by hellfires etc. Considering there's no tracking tone a Tank driver would have to be very fast on the smoke to break the lock before the chopper releases the missle.

My bet would be that 9 out of 10 times the tank driver wont be fast enough. and itll give tanks some sort of countermeasures which it seems they'll be needing.

VipersGhost
2007-12-28, 09:54
@Saber_tooth: Yeah every chopper can pull a perfect hover using the old mouse and keyboard...kinda gives your a gunner a funny feeling as you take a leak while he shoots rockets. It would seem silly to require chopper pilots to pull that off everytime they wanted to fire a manual decently ranged shot though doesn't it? I hear the system works great though so I'm looking forward to it and trust that we won't have to jump through those kinds of hoops for simple rocket play.

@Sadist - I like that idea a lot, I think it actually might work at some point as well...though hellfires don't use IR systems the smoke could break the laser contact I guess.

Grand_maneuver
2007-12-28, 13:07
aah sabre tooth, reminds me of good times, hovered at north village and went down stairs to eat, 10 - 15 min later the chopper was still alive, and the gunner was happy happy happy. :P

Anyways will the hellfire laser targetet mode, (the fire and forget missile) be deployed by SOFLAM or by the gunner himself?

Ghost Dog
2007-12-28, 14:32
the missles seem a bit powerfull destroying 4 or 5 targets with one shot but iam not army expert so if iam wrong just ignore me:lol:

It looks awsome tho cant wait for 0.7!It does look odd because the explosion radius of the missile is much smaller than the area that actually explodes...

The Havoc is so stable it is imobile if you want it to be. I can park a havoc in the sky, leave the controls and go make myself a drink, come back & it wont have moved an inch. Should be stable enough?Wow, no way I gotta try that with my joystick... don't even know if it 's possible with any joystick?

Looks great guys, but can you tell me what aircraft is dropping the GPS bomb/rocket? The cockpit doesn't look familiar to me.

kristofer
2007-12-28, 17:29
So, is the GPS bomb actually guided? If so, how far off the target can you be for it to be accurate?

P.S. Use this (http://users.rcn.com/sitzkrieg/war/jdamboom.mpg) for the GPS bomb sound :P joking.

MAINERROR
2007-12-28, 18:28
Thats a awesome feature! THis will increase the teamwork for sure! :-D

Desertfox
2007-12-28, 22:15
Jaymz;561004']@ AA whiners, chill out....AAV's will tear up jets that aren't acting on intel.

So will hesco barriers :(

I foresee myself spending alot of time in the helicopters :)

Waaah_Wah
2007-12-28, 22:17
Wasnt this SOFLAM designation proved to be hardcoded?

kristofer
2007-12-29, 15:41
Wasnt this SOFLAM designation proved to be hardcoded?

I imagine that its no less achievable than building commander assets - except that an invisible object is created which appears on the aircraft HUD every time the SOFLAM is 'fired'.

BloodBane611
2007-12-29, 16:34
We all know woop woop we can shoot down a chopper with a tank. Try doing that while we paint you, telling the apache where youre facing and then shoot him while he goes above the trees for 1/2 a second, fires, dissappears and before you know it BANG... gone :P

That's what I'm talking about.

Looks awesome DEVs, can't wait to give it a try.

<1sk>Headshot
2007-12-29, 21:18
This really is some great work. CAS is gonna' be so much more team-orientated instead of just lonewolvers. God help the servers with no teamwork.

Deadfast
2007-12-29, 21:48
Damn it, this makes me wanna learn fly !

On the other end, I'll feel extremely comfortable as the target spotter too. Seeing an aftermath of precisely marked target will be damn awesome.

Gas4ayear
2007-12-30, 03:52
This is probably the most uber l33t thing i have been waiting for in my life. i cant wait to blow up something with this. i mean this is so awesome i might start cheering the first time I get hit with this thing

OkitaMakoto
2007-12-30, 05:02
I need a new pair of pants...

kristofer
2007-12-30, 10:17
The missile fired by the A-10 near the start - is it a Maverick (the one used in the current version)?