PDA

View Full Version : Sandbag walls pretty useful?

blud
2007-09-02, 23:41
Do you guys think that sand bag walls are pretty useless most of the time? I know it doesn't matter if they are or not, because they cost 0 tickets, so I'm not suggesting they shouldn't be in the game, I'm just asking if people think that a team is just as well off without sandbag walls, or if you'd like commanders to make a bunch of them? Should I be using them more, or not bother?

El_Vikingo
2007-09-02, 23:54
They provide cover annd are free, so why not?

.:iGi:.BLACKWIRE
2007-09-03, 00:00
They are too high for kneeling/shooting which is annoying. Although they are good for blocking the VCP in Al Bas

Ecko
2007-09-03, 00:14
They are great if used right.

On Al basrah setting up an OP to the north of the city/east of the Insurgent compound leaves a lot of dead ground. Placing these give more cover to your troops. Just like the wire, these are very situational.

OiSkout
2007-09-07, 00:27
On Al basrah setting up an OP to the north of the city/east of the Insurgent compound leaves a lot of dead ground. Placing these give more cover to your troops. Just like the wire, these are very situational.

Yea, but the British troops have superior range and firepower ... so I think it's better off not using them.

However, in maps that are conventional army battles, they are useful in open areas in defense. As long as they don't have a ton of armor.

LtSoucy
2007-09-07, 10:23
ya i like to set up a Cp in the south southeast of the VCP. Put a AA on roof and then place sandbags out sdie for cover. Also if ur a great sniper and want a high spot u could ask the commander to place it some where that the dirt below it would gorw 20 feet high!

ArmedDrunk&Angry
2007-09-07, 12:24
It is also useful for blocking the ramp on River Fort, 7 Gates or any cholepoint similiar to that.
But some commanders have teh habit of dropping 6-7 of them when he only has one shovel working, which usually doesn't work out.

Dunehunter
2007-09-07, 12:42
I find razorwire to be more useful tbh. It's just a shame that you can't shoot while kneeling :(

Biggaayal
2007-09-07, 13:56
The sandbags are useful, but only if someone is defending the bunker/firebase. An empty sandbag-position isn't going to help anyone (or hurt em unless you trip and fall on it). Point is too little people defend for them to be useful, as they give away the position of your bunker/FB.

fuzzhead
2007-09-07, 16:16
Ive used the sandbags to amazing effectiveness on Mestia. Ive held off a whole squad while being behind a sandbag which was placed perfectly.

It all depends where its placed and what kind of targets your coming up against.

blud
2007-09-07, 20:04
Yeah, I've seen them used in good spots before. I think it just depends on the scenario and the landscape.

S.P.C-[Reality]-
2007-09-14, 21:16
i mostly use them for blocking the spots which i dont want the enemy to use for transportation . so they are pretty usefull for me!!

IAJTHOMAS
2007-09-15, 11:23
They are too high for kneeling/shooting which is annoying.

Not entirely true, there are a couple of dips where 2 bags meet that you can fire through when crouched. Very limited FoV though.

Top_Cat_AxJnAt
2007-09-15, 12:22
fuzzhead;478788']Ive used the sandbags to amazing effectiveness on Mestia. Ive held off a whole squad while being behind a sandbag which was placed perfectly.

It all depends where its placed and what kind of targets your coming up against.

Very very nice. So could you tell me the general area you set them up, would be much appreciated because Mestia is a tough map what ever team you play on. To win you really need to combine tons and tons of tricks and tactics, all of which can take ages to learn/discover, so any quick ones other people know already can be a real help.

Rudd
2007-09-15, 13:18
They work well in conjuntion with other assets, esp the firebase.

The general consensus is right: its free, so go for it! :)

fuzzhead
2007-09-16, 21:37
Top cat: the backsides (north sides) of the Towers are very vulnerable, setting up sandbags here will give you excellent cover where there is typically none. The trick is not to get into a sniping game with them, and let them get close. Let your squadmates inthe bunkers spot the troops, so you know roughly where they coming from. WHen they get close, pop up and waste them with a full mag, then pop back down in hiding.

They will eventually figure out this trick, but if you got enough sandbags you can alternate positions to keep the enemy on their toes..

Raniak
2007-09-17, 01:35
They are also great for slopes, where you would normally have no cover and slide down the hill...

Tweaky
2007-09-17, 05:56
The sandbag walls shouldn't be on a big dirt base, they should be "SANDBAG WALLS"... eg... walls that you cannot jump over, but are high enough to shoot over.

They should be just like the razorwire, where it is a long/wide row of sandbags that can close gaps/entrances to flags.

The sandbags we have now are really useless I find. PR should actually have sandbag 'walls', and then have the current sandbags be a .50 cal emplacement for defense mounted on the 'turret sandbag'. That said, you would have a limited amount of .50 cal emplacements, though you really only need to deploy a 1 or 2 tops for any given flag.

But I'd still want proper sandbag walls, than big useless mounds that are a dead giveaway for enemies to look at.

foxxravin
2007-10-12, 16:34
they are great!, but too bad you cant kneel and shoot behind them:cry:

Sgt_Canadian_Floss
2007-10-13, 16:11
i like 'em, they stop bullets, and Ican throw nades over 'em if im pinned

Biggaayal
2007-10-23, 15:54
I would like to see the sandbags become higher, at least so high you have to stand to shoot over them. Then I would also like to see a gap in them in the middle that you can shoot through crouched.

This way you can use them as extra cover for your bunker. At the moment a supply truck with a supply-box next to is is about as effective as a bunker!

+It costs less and it can be created without any teamwork.

In general the bunkers need to be beefed up imo. Higher sandbags would help.

hx.bjoffe
2007-11-01, 15:45
I place them whenever my Bunker/Firebase's not too hidden, for cover/firepositions. I also often use them acively when others place them in usefull positions.
Like Fuzz wrote on Mestia works alot of places, work with the squad and hide behind until you hear them come running or they're spotted out.
I also like to place them as roadblocks in tight spots.
I hate it when people exploit its too-large foundation to create the huge walls covering entrances.
At the moment a supply truck with a supply-box next to is is about as effective as a bunker!

+It costs less and it can be created without any teamwork.

The generation of Tickets and Car is just a big factor for me when Commanding, as Spawnpoint and Supplyzone (for kits).
The truck cost 5 tickets, the bunker/firebase'll only have to stay out of harms way for 10 minutes before they are even cheaper.
What i really love is having the Designated Engineer riding with me in the Support-jeep, not having to spawn a single Truck the entire round. AND getting to those tricky locations.

<1sk>Headshot
2007-11-18, 19:36
They are useful in many situations but would be better if they supplied ammo and there was another type of sandbag that could be placed with a 50cal on it. Maybe max these to two per cp. Would encourage defense.

CodeC.Seven
2007-11-24, 01:18
Sandbangs safed my life very often yet... If a commander use them correctly you can pwn everyone behind them

spartan117gw
2007-11-24, 07:18
if sandbags ddnt help they wouldnt exist. hey id rather a sack of earth take the led then have it lodged in my guts. +)

Cassius
2008-09-17, 02:28
It depends where. Say on jabal you want to go into position on weast beach on the elevated side of it to defend. To the east you can duck below the ridge line, but if hostiles sneak behind you you are caught pretty much with your pants down. Sandbag give you a chance to pull out or retaliate.

smee
2008-09-17, 08:33
Wish people would use them more as spawn covers where enemy can drive over people that spawn. And get easy kills.

Royal_marine_machine
2009-04-20, 16:37
Erm isn't it up to the squad leaders where the sandbags go? or is this thread from an earlier version?

Tartantyco
2009-04-20, 17:12
Erm isn't it up to the squad leaders where the sandbags go? or is this thread from an earlier version?

-It's from 2007. You figure it out.

Royal_marine_machine
2009-04-21, 11:46
oooh - touchy :P