PDA

View Full Version : Tank crew communication

daranz
2007-07-29, 23:20
Although communication is important no matter what you do in PR, it is most essential when operating a vehicle with another crewman. Proper communication between the driver and the gunner will determine whether or not they will survive an engagement. So, here's a couple of tips for proper crewmen communication:

Consider decreasing your squad size to reduce the amount of chatter. You need to be able to communicate at any time, and you need to be able to communicate quickly.
Remember your gunner's/driver's name and voice. This might be kinda obvious, but you might find yourself wondering who is talking to who, if you don't pay attention in a larger squad.
Keep it brief. This applies to all communications, but it especially applies to tanks. The faster you relay information, the faster the two of you can work together to act on it.
Use spotting and waypoints. Although you can simply say "9 o'clock," supplementing it with a spot makes it easier for the gunner and also informs everyone else on your team.
When your gunner tells you to stop, stop and stabilize. He made the decision to stop, and needs you to be stationary. And usually, in such situations, the gunner is right.
Let your driver know when you're reloading, and when you're ready to fire. This lets him know when to back off and when to push forward to a firing position. He shouldn't even ask you to tell him.
When you hit or destroy a target, report that to the driver. He needs to know, but he doesn't need to stare right at the target.

Feel free to discuss and/or add more...

Guerra norte
2007-07-29, 23:56
I could post a shit load of info on real Fire Commands if anyone is interested.

Outlawz7
2007-07-30, 00:27
Probably stolen from dyslexci and ArmA :p

But the most effective tank squad is just driver and gunner. Third guy can be an engineer.
If you plan an armor squad, use TS with different channels. And voice activation, so you don't have to use one hand to talk.

eddie
2007-07-30, 01:37
VoIP on the BF2 engine has a delay, even on low ping servers. Me and Jester found this out while crewing on EJOD.

Also, the gunner should give the order to move in a direction after he's fired a round. That way the gunner can tell the drive when he's ready to fire again, or they can retreat and attack from a different direction.

daranz
2007-07-30, 03:47
Probably stolen from dyslexci and ArmA :p

But the most effective tank squad is just driver and gunner. Third guy can be an engineer.
If you plan an armor squad, use TS with different channels. And voice activation, so you don't have to use one hand to talk.
Your key config must suck. I never have any problem holding down my PTT key and talking... Especially as a gunner, where my PTT key is actually the only thing on the keyboard that I have to use.

And yeah, TS would be ideal in an ideal world (hell, it even has whispering to predefined channels bindable to buttons, so you could communicate with BOTH your tank and other tanks on separate channels, using nothing but TS), but we don't live in an ideal world (or I'd be really ******** rich and would rule over an entire continent).

Language - Warning

UKF

Outlawz7
2007-07-30, 05:34
Umm...TeamSpeak is free... :p

daranz
2007-07-30, 13:01
Umm...TeamSpeak is free... :p
I never said it wasn't.

Liquid_Cow
2007-08-17, 19:54
Four observations which I have found greatly improve a tank's effectiveness.

#1, use the compass. Its the only way to be sure the Tank Commander (TC) and the gunner are looking in the same direction. The gunner has to zoom out to be able to see it well. I will call out a target something like this: "Enemy tank, 2 marks left of South West" marks being the fat lines between the cardinal directions. Practice on an empty server using the coax to shoot as distant bushes etc., until the TC can spot a target and get the gunner on it within a few seconds. Aside from the obvious roll as unit commander, IRL the TC's job in the heat of things is giving the gunner his next target while looking for threats and directing the driver to manuver accordingly.

#2 As far as TC-Gunner comms goes, one of the two most important things a Gunner can tell the TC is when he's loaded. IRL the loader will say "SABOT UP" when he loads a Sabot, and the game has an audio that does this for the gunner, but the TC does not hear it. If you're moving and want to take an accurate shot, letting the TC know when you're ready to shoot minimizes your exposure to enemy fire while you're sitting still.

#3, The other most important thing to tell the TC is that you've taken the shot so the TC can start moving again, minimizing your "sitting duck" time. IRL the gunner (USA) will say "ON THE WAY". There is a bug in the game that I find I don't see or hear the gun fire all the time, and end up waiting for the gunner to shoot... BANG we take a hit and the gunner wants to know why we're still sitting still.

#4 I usually play using TS. I do not use VOX, I have 3 PTT buttons set up. One just for my tank, one for the armor platoon, and a command channel that all the SL's and the commander can hear but not the gunners. It takes some getting used to, but it greatly reduces the confusion of the battle.

OiSkout
2007-08-17, 19:58
Hehe you should simply make communications a general 'guide.'

Also note that the driver cannot always tell when the gunner shoots or is hit. I noticed it occasionally when I'm zoomed it. It might be my rig or the system, but when I'm zoomed in(might be when I'm switching zooms), I don't always hear the cannon firing. Sometimes I don't even see the huge tracer-ish round. Sometimes I also don't recognize when my tank is hit. Just a note to watch out for those for an increase in communication.

El_Vikingo
2007-08-17, 20:03

Also note that the driver cannot always tell when the gunner shoots or is hit. I noticed it occasionally when I'm zoomed it. It might be my rig or the system, but when I'm zoomed in(might be when I'm switching zooms), I don't always hear the cannon firing. Sometimes I don't even see the huge tracer-ish round. Sometimes I also don't recognize when my tank is hit. Just a note to watch out for those for an increase in communication.

Known Issue, probably due to net lag, hitbox, etc...

Wolfe
2007-08-17, 21:39
Tank, 3 o'clock high
Infantry, 11 o'clock low
Roger
No shot
Lost em
Hit! Reloading...
Missed! Reloading...
Tank down.
Ready move...
...Ready
...Hold

These commands work well, but in the heat of battle they tend to degrade into something more like:

tank!... stop, stop, stop... STOP, STOP, STOP
I don't see him where is he where is he.
Damnit
sorry
wth?
Did we just get hit?
F*CK we're dead.
sorry
has a tank spawned yet?
get it get it get it ... crap.

Outlawz7
2007-08-18, 02:39
So true..

77SiCaRiO77
2007-08-18, 03:21
and then people say :"voipd is the solution :rolleyes:"

fuzzhead
2007-08-18, 03:33
tank!... stop, stop, stop... STOP, STOP, STOP
I don't see him where is he where is he.
Damnit
sorry
wth?
Did we just get hit?
F*CK we're dead.
sorry
has a tank spawned yet?
get it get it get it ... crap.

rofl that is awesome and so true heheh :)

yea using proper commands is excellent! IMO the absolute hardest thing to do in PR is a high degree of teamwork from an organised tank driver and gunner. And its absolutely the most devastating too (except the overpowering lonewolf jets).

To get kills in a tank is easy, to survive in a tank when the odds are against you and the enemy team is getting pissed taht you are kiling them, that is a very difficult task and requires the highest degree of teamwork tactics quick thinking and aim

I love tanking in PR6 :) its a shame that most of the time Im shooting against noob 1man tanks that all they can do is sit still then backup when they get shot so they can repair themselves, only to get killed by HEAT round

CareBear
2007-08-27, 21:25
fuzzhead;461389']rofl that is awesome and so true heheh :)

yea using proper commands is excellent! IMO the absolute hardest thing to do in PR is a high degree of teamwork from an organised tank driver and gunner. And its absolutely the most devastating too (except the overpowering lonewolf jets).

To get kills in a tank is easy, to survive in a tank when the odds are against you and the enemy team is getting pissed taht you are kiling them, that is a very difficult task and requires the highest degree of teamwork tactics quick thinking and aim

I love tanking in PR6 :) its a shame that most of the time Im shooting against noob 1man tanks that all they can do is sit still then backup when they get shot so they can repair themselves, only to get killed by HEAT round

yes its hard with lots of suicde engineers running at us as we get try to get out of government office?

and being told to give tanks to some1 else cos we were 'driving around' :razz:

Hairysteed
2007-11-19, 16:11
I've found out that commands used in the tank sim Steel Beasts work quite well in PR. These are also the commands used by the US Army tank crewmen

When either the TC or the gunner spots an enemy unit he/she immediately shouts:

"Tank!" - Main battle tank
"PC!" - IFVs, APCs, Armored cars, vehicles with light armor
"Troop!" - Infantry
"Truck!" - Wheeled soft-skinned vehicles. Jeeps fall into this category

As the TC calls a target he/she overrides the turret control and slews the gun to bear, making it clear to the gunner what the TC wants the gunner to engage. This is not possible in PR, so the gunner will have to use direction pointers such as:
"Tank, two o' clock!"
To point out the general direction of the target. Usually the gunner can find the target with just that, but if he's off the TC can fine-tune with "Traverse Right/Left!".

Having seen the target the gunner calls "Identified!". In real tanks this is the cue for the TC to relieve the turret control back to the gunner. If the Gunner cannot see the target, or it's unclear what the TC wants him to engage he'll say "Cannot identify!"

When the gunner has identified the target the TC can then issue the order "Fire!". This, however, is not the order to fire the gun straight away, but rather an authorization to destroy the target.

When the gunner is confident he has a clear shot and is about to fire he tells the TC "On the way!". This is to let the TC know he's about to take the shot and is the cue for the commander to stop the vehicle.

The TC will observe the flight of the projectile and tell the gunner where it landed with "Over!/Short!/Left!/Right!/Target!, so that the gunner can readjust the aim accordingly if needed.

Example:

"PC, eleven o'clock!"
-"Identified!"
-"Fire!"
-"On the way!"
-"Target!"

fuzzhead
2007-11-20, 08:28
very nice SOP man :)

it will be nicer in v0.7 cause you will get a compass with more accurate bearings,every 15 degrees is marked. can also use the commander or gunner laser range finder now too :)

"Tank, bearing 165 range 500!" :)

LtSoucy
2007-11-20, 10:24
lol fuzzhead can you add it to all soldiers? like put it on the minimap.

Viper5
2007-11-20, 13:45
Battlecary SABOT unless you know for a fact there are no enemy Tanks on the battlefield.

"Identified"- Target in sight
"Up"- Round loaded
"FIRE" TC to Gunner to commence firing
"ON THE WAY"- Round is airborne
"TARGET" Target destroyed

lol fuzzhead can you add it to all soldiers? like put it on the minimap.

What minimap

;)

Hairysteed
2007-11-20, 18:32
"On the way!" does not mean round is airborne. It means "I am pulling the trigger now!"
"Target!" does not necessarily mean the target is destroyed, just hit.

fuzzhead
2007-11-21, 06:36
LtSoucy its already in v0.6 on all soldiers but in v0.7 it is just more refined, easier to see too.

KingKong.CCCP
2007-12-11, 00:34
SINGLE TANK

DRIVER
- SL
- tank commander
- dicides EVERYTHING.

GUNNER
- just shoots.

If you're a gunner, don't yell "STOP!" or "BACKBACKBACK!" - you're not the one to make that decision. The only thing you can do is to say "Visual on enemy truck *easy target*... visual on three enemy tanks *aiming at us*..."
This is how it goes...

SOP
driver: (scans the battlefield using periscope)
driver: "Tank spotted, marked"
gunner: "Sabot ready"
driver: "Moving to the position" (moves forward)
gunner: "Visual on the target"
driver: (stops) "Fire"
gunner: "TAKING THE SHOT..."
gunner: "Round off / hit / kill"
driver: (moves back)
gunner: "Sabot ready"

then repeat from the beginning...

When I say "Target marked", that means he is using the ATTACK marker to show the target for gunner. (you could add info on what is that tank doing, and why do you think it's a good thing to attack it right now, like "He's not looking at us!", "Only one guy in the tank, and he's moving!")
"Sabot ready" means gunner IS listening and he's ready (sometimes your gunner is eating piza or drinking beer, so by saying this, gunner is saying "yes, I'm with you man, let's do this")
By saying "Fire", driver is making a statement he's not gonna move till the gunner shoots. You don't have to say "Fire", anything like "Take the shot" or "Stopped" is ok... yet "Fire" is probably the best thing to say... plus it sounds cool.
NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT - when I'm the gunner, I always say that "TAKING THE SHOT...". Why? Cos by that, I'm pointing I'll shoot in next 2 seconds, NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS. If driver decides he has to move - fine - I'll take the shot anyway (miss or hit). It is vital that driver knows you're about to shoot, cos sometimes he can ruin the shot with a *I'll just turn the tank front toward the target* move.
Now it's up to the driver to decide if it's better to move when the gunner is just about to shoot or not. If he moves, and I miss - he can't blame me, and I can't blame him. You said you're gonna shoot, and he is the commander (SL).
Again, never yell "movemovemove" as a gunner, cos you're just confusing the guy, making it more dificult for him to make a good decision. If he feels like moving, he'll move. If he thinks it's better to stay, then ok... you don't like it - ask him to switch positions - then you can call the shots.
Remember, VOIP is late *a lot*. So by the time he hears your "MOVEMOVEMOVE!" and make the move, you're probably like one second from having another sabot ready.
Even worse, by the time he does anything, you'll be yelling "OK OK, STOP STOP STOP!"
That sucks. Better keep quiet.

TWO/THREE TANKS (Tank squad)
Now this is so freaking confusing.
Too much chat going on... first, you have to name your tanks different, so that when you say "Round off!" you know it's your gunner saying that.
I played with fuzzhead twice as a Tank squad member, and I couldn't tell who is saying what.

This is what I learned
At the beginning, I was naming tanks like "Tank1", "Tank2", etc.
Then, I realised ppl tend to forget who is tank1... so I came up with a simple solution - I let every crew to find a cool name for their tank, and it has to be a wild animal, cat family. :)
You can pick any of these names: Tiger, Puma, Leopard, Jaguar, Lion, Panther, etc...

So now it goes like "Tiger, sabot ready"... "Tiger moving"... "Tiger, visual on the garget"... "Panthter is damaged"... "Rgr, Panther"... "Tiger, fire!"... "Panther, pulling back"... "Tiger, aiming..."... "Panther repairing... "Tiger, round off... that's a kill!"

People seem to like this. It sounds cool, and it's a game, ppl like cool things. :)
I saw excellent results and good communication within squad, cos when I let two guys to name their tank "WILDCAT" I just can't stop them saying "Wildcat this" or "Wildcat that". 8-)
Makes them proud of saying that, I guess...

ONE MORE THING TO CONSIDER
Muting feels... rude.
Yet, I would recommend all the gunners in a Tank squad to mute everybody except their driver. ;)
Also, Sl should mute other gunners (not his own, of course).
Other drivers should talk/listen only to theirs gunners and SL.

Liquid_Cow
2007-12-11, 01:31
Yet, I would recommend all the gunners in a Tank squad to mute everybody except their driver. ;)
Also, Sl should mute other gunners (not his own, of course).
Other drivers should talk/listen only to theirs gunners and SL.

This is an excellent suggestion! I'd go a step further and set up some whispers, so that TC to driver comms were on a whisper, that way the SL can still talk to all hands over the general channel, but in-tank comms were via the whisper. The TC needs to set a whisper to the gunner and the SL. Whispers take a little time to set up, and a little practice to use them effectively, so don't do it the first time in a battle. Muting has one major draw back, should you end up not in a tank (long spawn time, loss of tank spawn) you won't have to alt-tab out to unmute the rest of your squad.

Moo

Sadist_Cain
2007-12-11, 03:21
AWESOME KINGKONG!!!!!:D:D:D

Best idea Ive read for tank crew communication without the hassle

Simio1337
2007-12-11, 04:21
Me and sealights are invinsible with armor: APC and Tank. Everytime we play armor we get like 80 kills and 0 deaths. Its fun :)

Outlawz7
2007-12-21, 14:05
How the heck do you mute someone on VoIP? Is it even possible?

bosco_
2007-12-21, 14:37
Go to the scoreboard 'Organization' tab and check the mic icon on the right of their name.

hx.bjoffe
2007-12-21, 16:55
^ or "manage" as the non-german versions say.
Thing is, its un-muted each time you die.

fuzzhead
2007-12-22, 20:15
awesome strats there kingkong, i like the naming thing and i think the mute option (for gunners anyways) would be a great way to keep communication relevant and not overwhelm the gunners

BloodBane611
2007-12-23, 20:21
I definitely like your VoIP ideas kingkong. Cutting down on chatter and knowing who is responsible for what in the tank makes you much more effective than enemy tanks. Definitely like the idea of gunners being responsible only for gunning, with drivers communicating, spotting, and moving.

KingKong.CCCP
2007-12-24, 15:53
I've noticed mute option don't last for long time. :( bjoffe said it unmutes every time you die... that's why I placed it under "ONE MORE THING TO CONSIDER"...
Let's just say, if there is a driver/gunner in other tank that has similar voice to your crewmember, or some guy in squad talking too much, mute him.

I got used to mute people. Everytime when there is a guy in the squad giving me more headache then useful info, I mute him. Sometimes I first say "You talk too much", but that sounds rude, and nobody want's to be hushed, specialy in a virtual reality video game. :) So now, if that guy is not paying attention on what others are saying, I just mute him, and he doesn't even realize that.

Sprint
2007-12-24, 19:23
Also having a third guy in the tank, wich can go a bit in front and use binoculars to look for targets without showing the tank, then the tank just pulls out and fires, and backs away again.
And the third just jumps in as mg when moving longer distances

Can be useful, and prolong the life of the tank

Yrkidding
2008-08-26, 15:49
Awesome tank communication idea KingKong, i gonna suggest it to my clan leader!

Psyko
2008-08-26, 18:09
the main problems that hinder tank success rates are the drivers want to be going somwhere all the time. drivers whould stop a heck of a lot sooner than they think they should because they rarely consider enemy tank flank movements.(for instance if the crew thought the tank would be on the center of the flag cap location, when the enemy tank is actually watching the flag from a few hundred meters out) This is why qinling can be difficult to master, because of all the trees blocking your vision its not hard to mix up a tank chassis with a circular bush which has the same type of coloration from a distance. Mainly a tank should look for a place where they can fire THROUGH cover and not over or around it, which is pretty rare in PR.

ArmyTanker120
2008-12-21, 22:59
I've found out that commands used in the tank sim Steel Beasts work quite well in PR. These are also the commands used by the US Army tank crewmen

When either the TC or the gunner spots an enemy unit he/she immediately shouts:

"Tank!" - Main battle tank
"PC!" - IFVs, APCs, Armored cars, vehicles with light armor
"Troop!" - Infantry
"Truck!" - Wheeled soft-skinned vehicles. Jeeps fall into this category

As the TC calls a target he/she overrides the turret control and slews the gun to bear, making it clear to the gunner what the TC wants the gunner to engage. This is not possible in PR, so the gunner will have to use direction pointers such as:
"Tank, two o' clock!"
To point out the general direction of the target. Usually the gunner can find the target with just that, but if he's off the TC can fine-tune with "Traverse Right/Left!".

Having seen the target the gunner calls "Identified!". In real tanks this is the cue for the TC to relieve the turret control back to the gunner. If the Gunner cannot see the target, or it's unclear what the TC wants him to engage he'll say "Cannot identify!"

When the gunner has identified the target the TC can then issue the order "Fire!". This, however, is not the order to fire the gun straight away, but rather an authorization to destroy the target.

When the gunner is confident he has a clear shot and is about to fire he tells the TC "On the way!". This is to let the TC know he's about to take the shot and is the cue for the commander to stop the vehicle.

The TC will observe the flight of the projectile and tell the gunner where it landed with "Over!/Short!/Left!/Right!/Target!, so that the gunner can readjust the aim accordingly if needed.

Example:

"PC, eleven o'clock!"
-"Identified!"
-"Fire!"
-"On the way!"
-"Target!"

This is the best example yet. At least this is what u learn @ Ft. Knox but like posted earlier in the heat of the moment it comes out a little jumbled. That's perfect for gunnery though. Man I miss Table VIII. Anyway back to the game I don't think we have to say exact fire commands as long as you identify the target's location and fire that is all. As for the driver just have him practice with his crew so that he knows all of the action on drills before time so that the TC and gunner can just focus on enemy contact. If need be give him some direction but a crew (TC) shouldn't have to control their driver....that's in or out of the game. Hope I was of some help.

SFOD_F HaXXeD
2008-12-22, 16:49
It's all good except for the adjusting fire part because the driver often see the shots as a miss when it hits or vice versa.

Darkpowder
2008-12-22, 23:04

We have one, i compiled it. Some great information here, i will be compiling all the suggestions here into a guide soon, with all the contributing comments credited if you lot would like.

wuschel
2008-12-23, 13:37
Strange,

I never heard bearing in clock format, always in degrees ( i.e. "Contact, Tank, 220°!"). Much better to orientate with the BF2 player interface.

Also, one thing which worked very well in tank squads I commanded or played with: one of the MG gunner in the tank squads can be designated to take over text communications with the other squads. This way, You will stay up to date what is going on with the team and You can coordinate greatly with Your infantry and air force.

Undies
2008-12-29, 15:21
This is for background information only and purely for interest. Just a collection of British tank comms used commonly inside the turret on engagements, most of the guys of my clan [ABA] who are tanks crews use them and they work almost as well in game as IRL.

Firstly there is a difference between Commander initiated fire orders and Gunner initiated, where the commander has given authority to fire to the gunner so he can comcentrate on other things.

Commander InitiatedExample

1.Ammunition Nature to be fired.
HESH, Fin (APFSDS) etc.
Coax - Machine Gun.

2.Target.
Tank - Tank
BMP - BMP/IFV.
APC - Anything armoured below a tank in the pecking order of things, ie, Recce vehicles, APC's etc.
Transport - Sodt skinned vehicles of any kind.
Heli - Rotary winged aircraft.

3.Executive Order.
Fire - Shoot thet baddy.
Wait - Hang on till i say Fire :)

There are a few other but those are the basics.

So an example of a Fire Order could be something like.

"HESH, BMP, FIRE"
or
FIN, TANK, FIRE
or
COAX, MEN, FIRE

Whilst the commender is laying the gunner onto the rough area of the target the gunner acquires the target in his sight picture and states "ON"
He then carries out the engagement provided the commander has said "FIRE" at the end of his Fire Order.

The only difference with the gunner carrying out his own engagement is he carries out all the vocals himself to inform the commader of what is happening should he be doing something else.

Target acquisition is obviously the tricky bit in PR, but there are ways to simplify it. The same can be done on PR as can be done IRL, whereby one crewman scans in high magnification and one scans in low magnification, from left to right so your arcs constantly cross one another and eliminating blind spots where possible.

The guy on the roof in the game is very useful not only for area defence but for helping acquire targets.

References in the game are easily given using the compass at the bottom as you are all on the same vehicle with the same directions. But the gun and hull can also be used as a quick reference. The hull is good for the clock-ray method so for exapmple "1 oclock of the hull" lets people know instantly where to look. With regards to the gun it is a learned skill but to give 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 left and right references from the position of the gun are very fast and generally accurate and i will come up with a picture later as a picture paints a thousand words :)

We always do well in armoured battles i expect a lot of it is second nature but it also helps to try and practice with the same guys in the same jobs all the time, this speeds things up and improves reaction times massively. You also get to know how each other thinks which helps even more.

Hope its useful.

Spaz
2008-12-29, 15:38
Undies I have to go in a tank with you sometime! :D

Liquid_Cow
2008-12-29, 16:30
Undies, good post. One key thing which I'd like to add is that once a shell is fired its important for the gunner to let the commander know that, as frequently the commander does not see/hear the shot. When using the shoot and scoot method of engaging enemy armor it is vital that the commander hold the talk still until the shot is fired then move rapidly to avoid counter fire.

BTW, in the US we use "Sabot, HEAT, Coax, Engage, Engaging, Acquired, Fire" and when the shot is fired "On-The-Way."

What ever words you use, its important that you lay down the ground rules before you get into a fight. I pub with strangers all the time, when we get into the armor I make it clear, when talking directions we always need to use the compass, and any sightings should include a bearing. Its also important to avoid ambiguous words or words which sound alike. If you want the tank to stop say "STOP". Don't say "whoa, hold up, crap, etc., etc.," it will just decreace you life span.

Undies;882504']with the gunner carrying out his own engagement is he carries out all the vocals himself to inform the commader of what is happening
ABSOLUTELY! Nothing worse than the driver/commander looking at a black screen wondering what just happened when the gunner says "I guess I missed him, hu?"
The hull is good for the clock-ray method
I have to respectfully disagree with this method. While IRL it is used all the time, in PR it is too easy for the commander to loose track of where he is looking. If you have any magnification on you have to zoom out to see where the hull and turret it. KISS method here (that's Keep It Simple Stupid), the compass is there and always works, so use it.

When I have a regular tank crew we go out and practice spotting, that is getting the gun on the commander's target ASAP. The commander will spot a bush or other object and attempt to direct the gunner onto it as fast a possible. The gunner will fire the coax and the commander will then walk the gunner onto target with left/right short/long. Even after months of playing together its usefull to do this at the start of every day's play.

Undies
2008-12-29, 17:22
@ Spaz - Let me know next time you are in town ;)

@ Liquid Cow - I totally forgot the bit after you shoot :( my bad. If the gunner observes the fall of shot and strikes the target he simply reports "TARGET" to which the commander will acknowledge by repeating, followed by either "STOP" or "GO ON" depending on the state of the target.

Should the gunner not see the round strike he will report "NOT OBSERVED" and if he misses he will automatically carry out corrections for himself but report to his commander what corrections he has made. For example if he goes down and to the left he would report "RIGHT AND ADD" and carry on engaging.

When I have a regular tank crew we go out and practice spotting, that is getting the gun on the commander's target ASAP. The commander will spot a bush or other object and attempt to direct the gunner onto it as fast a possible. The gunner will fire the coax and the commander will then walk the gunner onto target with left/right short/long. Even after months of playing together its usefull to do this at the start of every day's play.

That is an older version of gunnery that is used occasionally thay harked back to the late 40's early 50's when tanks like Centurion had ranging guns fitted to get the fall of shot on target before firing the main armament, and works extremely well.

Liquid_Cow
2008-12-29, 17:37
Actually, that's exactly the purpose of the coax gun when it was first mounted, to assist the gunner with his firing solution. Of course, I'm just talking about using it as a training tool.

One other thought, you mentioned the MG gunner in the commander's hatch, it would be a lot more useful if that position was able to use binoculars and do some decent spotting. Or perhaps in the future the DEV's could give us a TUSK modification for the thanks, which mounts a CROWS on that hatch and puts a M2 50cal atop the main gun for increased coax firepower..

ma21212
2009-02-09, 11:15
what i noticed is that its really hard to play with strangers when your using a tank. you tell them "170 deg.! HAT USE YOUR HEAT!" but they ignore you and look a diffrent way and then bam you team just lost a tank. the only desent ppl to play with in a tank is ppl you know