PDA

View Full Version : Basic Armor Tips

Surround
2007-07-24, 06:19
1. First, locate and destroy enemy armour, than take support role!

2 Never go anywhere without infatry support. your job is to provide support for advancing troops.

3 Dont be a lonewolf jerk. A driver is very important. After shot you can fall back to reload.

4 HULL DOWN! Very important is to keep your hull hidden as possible. Turret of course has to be exposed if you want to shoot. The thing is that you can shoot enemies, but enemy can only see your turret.

5 Firing arc. Try to keep it small and at vital points. In the top of the mountain you can see everywhere but so can enemies.

6 If you want to make squad with tanks, name it "Tank" or "Tank bravo". Then people will know the point of the squad.

Here are some tips. I find these most important. It's pretty short :(

AfterDune
2007-07-24, 08:16
You might want to change your thread-title to something like "Basic Tanking Tips" or whatever suits you best ;).

Good tips though. A two/three-man tank-squad is very dangerous and can pwn big time! Indeed, if you move through a forest or urban environment, infantry is very much appreciated to check for HAT 'n stuff.

Phoenix.86
2007-07-24, 10:29
I'd also say try to move in a group with other tanks/apcs to be able to fend of larger groups of enemy armor and infantry. Regarding your first point i'd say that only goes for areas like cities or woodland/hills - in the desert infantry only gets mowed down by snipers/enemy armor thx to their insane long combat range.

Expendable Grunt
2007-07-24, 13:49
--Tanks do not take points. They blow the hell out of the enemy for the infantry to take points.

Rick_the_new_guy
2007-07-24, 16:30
--Tanks do not take points. They blow the hell out of the enemy for the infantry to take points.

I would also recommend the tank SL to name their squad 'tank' or :tank bravo" if there are more than one. If they have VOIP, let the CO know what their function will be. This way, this assets will be used better. The CO may assign an intire squad to support the tank squad! (take point in urban areas).

BTW, how many tanks should be in a squad? Two tops?
I fine more than one too complex.
Two guys are needed to operate the tank right? Granted, one guy could if he did one thing at a time.

Also, what would be a good layout of a tank squad?

I am more of an APC man, not too familar with tanks.

Expendable Grunt
2007-07-24, 17:42
Well, there are three ways to do it IMO.

1) One tank crewed by two men, and four supporting infantry (mostly engineers), one of which has a supply truck.

2) Two tanks, crewed by three men each.

3) Three tanks, crewed by two men each.

joe
2007-07-25, 00:06
I think two tanks with two crewmen and two infantry support, one engineer with the repair truck and one spotting and stopping sneaky engie attacks

Rick_the_new_guy
2007-07-25, 01:18
As a CO, I sometimes take the lil repair jeep to get to hard to reach places and draw less attention to put down a bunker or firebase (especially a firebase). Should I leave it be on maps with heavy armour?

I am thinking I should.

Eddiereyes909
2007-07-25, 02:09
Whenever in kashan i always have at least to pieces of armor in my squad. on just doesn't cut it.

El_Vikingo
2007-07-25, 02:24
1 squad
2 tanks
2 drivers
2 gunners
2 engineers on 50 cal

T4nn13
2007-07-25, 14:00
Nice Tipps ;) Thx

Surround
2007-07-25, 18:46
No problem man. I try to update those tips.

[uBp]Irish
2007-07-25, 19:37
i find i have better K:D ratios when i'm alone in my tank able to hull-down, and kill anything that comes in sight, than drive around aimlessly, waiting to get hit. i position myself in such a way that i can cover my troops as they take flags behind, but not in a position where it would be considered base camping. I know the benifits of having a driver/gunner (especially in an urban enviornment), but i find i just help out better when i dont have to depend on someone that might not know what they are doing.

TheTank
2007-07-25, 20:01
Tanking is like sniping: a good sniper knows when to fire and when to wait

Contrary to a sniper a tank can also move and shoot quite well. In addition people seem to have problems fireing at moving objects. Use movement to your advantage.

Be a chicken. You might be in a tank but you do not have to fight the person head on. Hide behind a building and peek around a corner. Fire once and then hide.

NEVER just sit somewhere and fire as soon as something crosses your path, after 1-2 kills everyone will know where you are and will flank you.
A good tactic is to wait until the have nearly left your sights and then fire on them. Not only will you get that side/back hit causing more damage but if the opponent survives he will probably fear someone in front or at least in that direction is fireing on him and retreat... you get another shot at his rear.
Even better when the tanker unleashes a smoke screen.

Leave them guessing that you are around each hill, behind each house ... you are somewhere out there, waiting for them... they wil become nervous.
They will not move as fast any more and will constantly be looking for you.

Surround
2007-07-26, 09:02
Mod, can you change the thread to "Basic armour tips" :)

Outlawz7
2007-07-27, 01:14
IMO; the 2 tanks with 4 Crewmen and 2 engies is the best.

You get x2 fire support and its easier attacking solo tankers, who have to stop, reload, take a shot etc... I found some abandoned tanks today, while armor whoring on Daqinq, guess solo tankers rather live than go down with their metal coffin...

Which brings me to another point:
NEVER LEAVE YOUR TANK, unless you know its safe.
Especially in urban areas, which are death traps for tanks anyway...
Just yesterday on Ejod, T90 sends a Sabot into a M1A2 at east city, solo tanker jumps out to repair and I shoot him.
Tank is now useless. Period.

Then again, I advise for .50 cal gunners to duck often or put something on their Ctrl key, since the .50 gunner can be taken out with small arms.
In 0.5 Basrah, whenever I was in a tank, I never allowed .50 cal gunners becuase they all got eventually sniped or died in crossfire.

swiftdraw
2007-07-29, 03:45
These might not be the best tips in the world, but it works for me!

- Remember, it takes a lot of L-AT to take you down. If there is no lock tone, and you're still cruising despite a direct hit to a non-frontal area, just keep blasting.

- To reiterate, NEVER LEAVE WITHOUT A GUNNER!!!! This is bad, bad, bad! First off, you must stop to fire and coming to a dead stop for more than a second is never good. Second, a gunner gives you a second pair of eyes to look out for heli's, mines, AT, and other assorted threats.

- Try to stay off road as much as possible and avoid using the 'main' (or most obvious) entrance to an enclosed area. These areas are most often mined, prone to ambush and will hurt you.

- As scary as heli's are, still try to keep a weathered eye out on the ground too. If you see a suspicious dark bump on the ground, take pains to avoid it.

- Do not drive on the top portion of a hill as this gives the enemy a nice silhouette to aim at. Try, if all possible, to stay to on side of the crest as to conceal your profile.

- SABOT for armor and other 'hard targets', HEAT for infantry and other 'soft targets.'

- Always keep moving between cover. Never stop in the open and avoid driving in a straight line. This will make it harder for the enemy to draw a bead on you.

- Avoid driving through tight areas such as in cities and villages. These are prime areas for enemy AT to gain a elevation advantage on you and smash that thin top armor. Stick to the outskirts as much as possible and provide fire from there. Mines are also a major concern in this area and it is possible for you to become boxed into a kill zone.

- When in a tight area, think in three dimensions. Enemies will come from all angles and its important to to keep scanning all directions for possible enemy contacts.

- Communication is key to a successful tank crew. VOIP is crucial for a long, successful run as a tanker. Also make sure to get your terminology straight (ex. meaning of 12 o' clock, 6 o' clock, target names, etc.) and that you can understand each other.

- Again to reiterate, when going to re-load or repair fall back to a 'safe' area (such as the main base.) Yes this will take you out of the action for a bit, but better that than to have the tank destroyed and have to wait a god awful amount of time. Or, even worse, have the tank knock out in the middle of a battlefield with little chance of retrieval.

- On a similar note and to repeat, don't get out of the tank to repair in the middle of a fire fight and don't expect the engi's to come running to your aid if you're in a high risk area. Fall back to a safe area to repair and reload.

EDIT: - Another very important tactic is 'scratching the back' of an allied APC or tank. Simply put, if you see enemy trying to swarm onto or near a tank (most likely to set explosives) do not be afraid to use you co-axial and .50 cal. to wipe them off. These weapons will do nothing more than scuff the friendly armor's paint and are very effective at netralizing enemy infantry.

ReaperMAC
2007-07-29, 05:06
1 squad
2 tanks
2 drivers
2 gunners
2 engineers on 50 cal
Aye, can't stress that enough. Engineers repair 3x faster than crewman and allow both the gunner and the driver to remain inside the tank instead of the risk being outside.

Mongolian_dude
2007-07-29, 23:36
- Try and keep that front armour towards the biggest threat at all times.

- Even a single little hill/brm is a breeding ground for tactics. use terrain wisley.

-Keep that 120mm pointed at the biggest threat at all times. Dont be affraid to spray a guy with the coax, while reloading the next SABOT though.

Using these three tactics, me and a pubby(i forget his name) managed to take out 2MBTs, two APCs and a heavy AT, on EJOD.....with only HEAT rounds.

...mongol...

DJJ-Terror
2007-07-30, 21:30
1 Never go anywhere without infatry support. your job is to provide support for advancing troops.

2 Dont be a lonewolf jerk. A driver is very important. After shot you can fall back to reload.

3 HULL DOWN! Very important is to keep your hull hidden as possible. Turret of course has to be exposed if you want to shoot. The thing is that you can shoot enemies, but enemy can only see your turret.

4 Firing arc. Try to keep it small and at vital points. In the top of the mountain you can see everywhere but so can enemies.

5 If you want to make squad with tanks, name it "Tank" or "Tank bravo". Then people will know the point of the squad.

Here are some tips. I find these most important. It's pretty short :(

well aldo these tips are pretty usefull, i found that getting a higher ground is an imperativ on some maps (not all of them).

But first tip an alpha and omega of tanking in PR is and shud be:

1. First, locate and destroy enemy armour, than take support role!

Biggaayal
2007-08-08, 04:18
Well, there are three ways to do it IMO.

1) One tank crewed by two men, and four supporting infantry (mostly engineers), one of which has a supply truck.

2) Two tanks, crewed by three men each.

3) Three tanks, crewed by two men each.

4) And by far the better way imo: 3 ppl in one tank, kits obvious.

la GVIDUA
2007-08-08, 11:11
- Communication is key to a successful tank crew. VOIP is crucial for a long, successful run as a tanker. Also make sure to get your terminology straight (ex. meaning of 12 o' clock, 6 o' clock, target names, etc.) and that you can understand each other.

If 1 Squad - 1 Tank. I recommend driver as Squad leader, you can mark target by radio (give atack command), then it's very easy for gunner to find target. Even gunner dont have to look for target he knows where is it. Also he sees the range to the target, and can take right zoom level. In that case I dont have to explain to gunner about targets position. - "... man, about 3 o'clock by the blue container..." or "RPG...about 2 o'clock, building with red roof, balcony to the left, put some heat ..." :)

Usually I just say "marked new target APC or etc. Of course you have to act quick and update the target's position.
These things saves precious seconds in the battlefield.

nedlands1
2007-08-08, 13:06
1 squad
2 tanks
2 drivers
2 gunners
2 engineers on 50 cal

+1 supply truck w/ engineer => -1 engineer on 50 cal
AND/OR
+1 AA vehicle w/ crewman depending on the concentration of enemy air assets => -1 engineer on 50 cal
OR
+1 Scout helicopter for locating enemy armor and for providing distractions;) w/ pilot => -1 engineer on 50 cal

STORM-Mama
2008-04-25, 22:32
Never turn the turret at six o'clock. There's impossible for the driver to see anything when the gunner does this since the hatch or machine gun will block the drivers sight.

Alex6714
2008-04-25, 23:08
When being circled by a minigun littlebird, never get in the turret thinking you can shoot him down with the .50.

Taken out 3 tanks in a row on kashan like this... And at least one of them had a 2 man crew..