PDA

View Full Version : Fun tactic: AT & Littlebird

swiftdraw
2007-05-05, 04:12
Playing on Thor's server on Qwai river when two others and myself decided to go tank busting. An APC and the Chinese MBT were pounding on fishing village so the Littlebird pilot decided it'd be a good idea to load up on L-AT and go to town. Me and one other squad mate (I'm terrible with names :-( Eve-somethingorother) decided to one up this and get the heavy AT kits which miraculously no one touched the entire game. This was extremely effective when we sneaked up, got into a hover and hit them. The APC went down and the tank was smoking, and after the re-load the tank went down along with some supporting infantry. Odd thing was, the enemy didn't initally notice what we were doing and were just running around wildly for cover...
Now came the first problem, low ammo capacity :x We hurried back to base and loaded up on a humvee and started to buzzed back to village where a second chinese APC and jeep arrived. Then the second problem hit as we crossed govt' offices, being exposed on the side of the LB. The Chinese had set a rally in the ditch and were lined up and down it, so when we crossed they took a few shots at us and the support gunner darn near took me out. We landed near by, I got to a medic and my H-AT brother took down the rally along with 4 enemy soldiers. The LB picks me up and we head to village, where the word is evidently out that the LB has teeth and we run into our third (and luckily final) problem; its hard to hit dead on while moving full out in the helicopter. On our approach the APC opens up as well as the jeep, and our pilot kicks in some evasion maneuvers and goes for a high speed pass. I got a missile near the APC and I was told that the other H-AT over shot the jeep. On our second pass, he scored a hit near or on the APC which blew it and I hit behind the jeep but killed an enemy near by (thank god for splash damage.) After that we went back to base and gave the best air cover we could until the round eventually ended, with a USMC lose unfortunately...

So to recap, having two heavy AT kits on the Littlebird is effective, but to be accurate at all you must be hovering or have a good sense on where a shot is going to land when moving past the target. Also bring a medic along because you have nothing covering you when seated on the sides and you'll be prone to bleeding out (if you don't die outright) when, not if, you get hit. Also many repeated trips to a safe supply point are require given you'll only have 4 shots between the two of you if you manage to get a H-AT team going. Tried going solo about 30 or so minutes before this post and it wasn't quite as effective given that now you only have 2 shots, so you have a lot more ammo runs to do.

Outlawz7
2007-05-05, 06:32
We tried that on Jabal, only to fail every time..I was on the H-AT and aimed for the APC and shot him, and he still kept rolling!?
We tried again, but MEC got prepared more and more with each try...at the end they rolled off the Bridge and overran the East beach...

Cascyth
2007-05-05, 07:02
Now came the first problem, low ammo capacity :x We hurried back to base and loaded up on a humvee and started to buzzed back to village where a second chinese APC and jeep arrived.

Flying with two riflemen on boths sides would be a good idea - something like shoot, turn LB and reload, shoot, turn LB and reload... ad infinitum ;)

Falkun
2007-05-05, 09:03
It's also fun to stick on two AA guys on the LB on maps like Gulf of Oman. The jets have no idea where the missiles are coming from, and AA/Jets cannot lock onto you.

MadTommy
2007-05-05, 12:02
It's also fun to stick on two AA guys on the LB on maps like Gulf of Oman. The jets have no idea where the missiles are coming from, and AA/Jets cannot lock onto you.

hehe flippin 'ell.. two H-Ats and 2 AAs.. hanging off the little bird! with an ace pilot that would be the meanest asset on the battlefield.
Sounds alot of fun.. but if it became commonly used.. i'm sure Egg and the rest would have to do something to address it.. maybe not?

You would certainly get 'hunted' alot!

Err what should the recoil or backblast do to a flying LB from a H-AT?

daranz
2007-05-05, 12:39
Fry the person sitting next to you or fry yourself, or fry the pilot, depending on the angle, perhaps...

swiftdraw
2007-05-05, 13:18
Flying with two riflemen on boths sides would be a good idea - something like shoot, turn LB and reload, shoot, turn LB and reload... ad infinitum ;)

Problem is that ammo has to be on the ground for it to reload, so you have to land either way.

And I like the idea of adding two AA riflemen on the side :twisted:

Outlawz7
2007-05-05, 19:42
Ive actually never used the AA kit on any faction - picked up USMC AA on Basrah at Airport, but didnt have time to check, what Im carrying, lol..

El_Vikingo
2007-05-05, 20:39
Thats a tactic I've been using for quite some time now... strange to see it only pickup now.
(Heavy + Chopper = Flying Tank)

lunchbox311
2007-05-05, 21:08
Problem is that ammo has to be on the ground for it to reload, so you have to land either way.

The answer to that is to use a blackhawk instead if the map has it. The BH has ammo in it for reloads.

:smile:

oS2007
2007-05-06, 14:00
The answer to that is to use a blackhawk instead if the map has it. The BH has ammo in it for reloads.

:smile:

Problem with that is when the BH hovers still for a shot/volley or even slows down, it makes a nice big target for anything that locks onto aircraft, and damn near everything else with reach.

....Once they know just what that BH is actually doing. :)

swiftdraw
2007-05-06, 17:17
Problem with that is when the BH hovers still for a shot/volley or even slows down, it makes a nice big target for anything that locks onto aircraft, and damn near everything else with reach.

That and most people know that the BH can fire back with the mini's, so they take cover usually. The transport LB's are generally ignored because they usually don't shoot at you!

El_Vikingo
2007-05-06, 20:06
The H-AT has double zoom, so your pretty safe from RPGs. Apart from that the pillot needs to be extremely dextrous, and there has to be constant communication.

WNxLT7
2007-05-06, 21:01
cant wait to see what 2 javelines and 2 support gunners could do on a lb
talk about a 1 crew army

SGT.Collado
2007-05-06, 21:43
In Baghdad, we had a squad and we basically took down mostly all enemies from a LB. Our entire mission was on the littlebird and we did not land one single time. Effective VOIP, good pilot, 1 sniper, 1 heavy AT, and you've got an unstoppable force at the air.

After that, we did everything in the BH..though LB is much better since it is harder to shoot down the sky and is more flexible for the riders in the LB. It really isn't hard to shoot from a LB because of the stability.

wpchen
2007-05-07, 00:05
Oh, you mean the LB doesn't have guns? LOL! A couple times an LB was shooting stuff at me, and I thought it was actually armed! Guys up there were really coordinated, since the LB looked like it was firing--no awkward stuff. It was really smooth.

Edit: Wow, I'm an idiot. It seems that there is an armed and an unarmed LB. Oops.

Teek
2007-05-07, 03:06

As mongol and other members of ARRC at the battle of Jabal can attest, it is very effective.