PDA

View Full Version : Fun Underused Tactic: The Technical

Wasteland
2007-04-23, 19:19
Last night I downloaded the ArmA demo and played for a while. Damn that thing seems awkward. But after a few hours of playing it (and a few hours of drinking), when I switched back to PR I just wasn't on top of my game.

I played a little bit of Al Basrah, but I just wasn't feeling it. I was playing on TG, 32-player Al Basrah. A lot of flaghopping was going on, and we didn't have many spawncars. So I got some of my guys to spawn in at palace, and we took a technical. For the rest of the game, we had an absolute blast. I thoroughly encourage all of you guys to give this a shot.

Just drive a full technical, with one mechanic, one doctor, and one RPG gunner. Drive around like a madman until you come upon a USMC squad, and then unload on them as you drive by. Try to run some of them over too. Repair/heal, then drive back at high speed. We tried slowing down a couple times, but this always seemed to result in getting shot, so I wouldn't recommend it.

It's like having two SAWs able to rapidly access and escape a hot location. A very worthwhile tactic. For some reason I never really see it used though. Anyway, we ended up getting taken out by light-AT. But we had a great, long run. You should give it a shot some time.

The squadmembers I remember were myself, IronTaxi, and El_Mariachi.

Once I figure out how the hell to get the full version of Fraps to work after having had the demo version, I'll toss up a video.

bosco_
2007-04-23, 19:20
Once I figure out how the hell to get the full version of Fraps to work after having had the demo version, I'll toss up a video.

Haha, if you manage that, you win 1000 internetz :(

Wasteland
2007-04-23, 19:26
I should mention that this tactic probably wouldn't work so well on the 64-player version, as the A-10s will hunt you down right quick.

IronTaxi
2007-04-23, 23:32
nah ive seen it work a few times on 64 too..but not like the run we had the other night...that was fun as hell....poor americans....haha

Wasteland
2007-04-23, 23:57
It's weird. On BHD (I know, I know..... by mentioning that movie I've lost all credibility...... I don't care) when a technical rolls up on a dismounted squad, that's a big deal, you know? It's something they really have to work together to deal with. You never really see them being used as major threats in PR for some reason. Except last night of course ;)

Leo
2007-04-24, 00:09
It's weird. On BHD (I know, I know..... by mentioning that movie I've lost all credibility...... I don't care) when a technical rolls up on a dismounted squad, that's a big deal, you know? It's something they really have to work together to deal with. You never really see them being used as major threats in PR for some reason. Except last night of course ;)

Because of A-10s + Light AT plus lack of ironsights for 50 cal + the exposed position of the gunner = fail for 50 cal

IronTaxi
2007-04-24, 00:24
bingo...far too many AT in general on the field right now... does every patrol in baghdad carry some form of light AT? i dont think so but not really sure....

agree wasteland...i USMC squad on foot getting jumped by a fully loaded technical should be a big deal...

on the flip side a few porrly trained insurgents against a USMC squad shouldnt be a bog deal..(which it currently is due to their highly trained aiming skills)

ps. yes i believe the insurgents should have a very high firing deviation...what we need is an infantry inurgents map..light vehicles only...

youm0nt
2007-04-24, 00:35
Ahh, just one of those little things in PR that make the mod fun... I heard one of the devs said that the Cobra or the A-10 on Basrah locks on a technical, is that true?

Wasteland
2007-04-24, 01:00
The technicals appear as a little square on the A-10's HUD. Dirtbikes appear also. Which means that with A-10s in the air, you're only going to survive (maybe) as long as it takes for one quick jihad run. Jihad/spawn cars don't show up, which may be why some people seem to insist on using them as their taxis.

swiftdraw
2007-04-24, 05:45
Oh man, Technicals are fun! Much praise for those indeed. The squad I was in last night (forget the server, I think Thor) only had 3 people so we decided to go technical crazy. We wiped out at least three USMC squads around facility before we ran into the USMC APC which quickly dispatched us. Second time was more of the same, except we were taken out by a barrage of about 3 L-AT missiles instead of a APC. Then a few people joined the squad and we just went on foot. If you get going full tilt and know how to lead a target when moving, Technicals are hard to hit and can hit pretty hard. Stay within the city limits and use the alley ways to extend your life expectancy against aircraft. Going into the open desert, much less the roads = instant death pretty much.

Teek
2007-04-24, 05:48
sounds fun!

Epim3theus
2007-04-24, 18:11
Isn t driving an old banged up Toyota with a machine gun boulted on the back in the midle of the street and shooting it, something like putting up a sign "shoot me please", in general?
It s not armoured or anything like that.

youm0nt
2007-04-24, 18:44
Isn t driving an old banged up Toyota with a machine gun boulted on the back in the midle of the street and shooting it, something like putting up a sign "shoot me please", in general?
It s not armoured or anything like that.
Well, yeah, why would you be in the middle of the street in a technical firing the machine gun like a madman shooting at anything that moves... Technicals are used for run and gun tactics, as wasteland soldier gave an example of this... You have to keep moving and be mobile, always...

Emnyron
2007-05-02, 12:39
Yeaaa...
But More often than not, Whenever i get into that coffin of white death, I tend to either roll into a tank, or better yet, A cobra :(

DirtyHarry88
2007-05-02, 15:42
Might try it sometime, although I tend to stick a few IED's on them and ram them into a tank.

Outlawz7
2007-05-02, 16:08
Might try it sometime, although I tend to stick a few IED's on them and ram them into a tank.

When I usually play, USMC doesnt have a commander, so pretty much all insurgent assets are avaiable...so take a tech, shoot half a meg in it (or leave it intact, if youre expecting to live a bit longer) then put all 3 C4s (Mechanic) on front and go...its very fast and with Shift it goes even faster...enough to make it explode, when bumbing a tank or APC...

DirtyHarry88
2007-05-02, 16:11
When I usually play, USMC doesnt have a commander, so pretty much all insurgent assets are avaiable...so take a tech, shoot half a meg in it (or leave it intact, if youre expecting to live a bit longer) then put all 3 C4s (Mechanic) on front and go...its very fast and with Shift it goes even faster...enough to make it explode, when bumbing a tank or APC...
I never thought about shooting it first, will have to try that.

If you're against a tank and going full speed you should blow up on impact, if not it's easy enough to get out, trigger and BOOOOOOOOM.

Fullforce
2007-05-02, 18:38
It'd be fun to have a 6-man squad in two technicals working together.

Emnyron
2007-05-07, 07:40
Unthill one of the a10`s spot you, or better yet, some usmc goon tells your grid referance to the cobra goons -_-

swiftdraw
2007-05-07, 14:12
Eh, I think I found a problem, I manage to putter around in a A-10 for a bit with a near empty server and I swear I saw the Technicals come up on the HUD when people were operating them... Problem when you're not operating in the tight streets. This would explain why my technical convoy (3 full technicals, woot!) got massacred in 10 seconds by the two A-10's when we were heading out from village to NVCP. We were spread out a bit in case a cobra jumped us, then the 'death ray' and rockets came out of nowhere, knocked my two buddies out, and another line of mini-gun death hit me soon afterwards. Then the A-10's buzzed over...

Edit; to be clear, two of the three technicals were in my squad, the third belong to another who was just following us. We had a mutual agreement to cover each other with the .50's in case of heli attacks. If 2 is better than 1, then 3 must be better than 2.

Wasteland
2007-05-07, 14:47
Right. That's a known issue. As I said,

I should mention that this tactic probably wouldn't work so well on the 64-player version, as the A-10s will hunt you down right quick.

DarkTalon
2007-05-07, 21:32
I think the pickup (even without the guns) is a very fast and agile vehicle. probably the best vehicle for the insurgents.