PDA

View Full Version : The Project Reality Diaries

ThePhotoshop
2007-04-04, 09:12
The Project Reality Diaries now have a website! New videos will now appear at www.prdiaries.com.

http://users.on.net/hindes/diary/day4_download.jpg (http://files.filefront.com/prdiary+day4+fullzip/;8009026;;/fileinfo.html)

Hey everyone at Reality Mod.

I'm new here, though I have been reading the forums for quite some time. I'm a BF2 and, more recently, Project Reality enthusiast with a taste for tactical squad leading. As such, I've decided to create a series of movies called the PRMM Diaries that I thought you guys might be interested in.

Many of you may have watched these already as I'm trying to get as much coverage as I can, but for those who haven't, these are essentially rounds of PR that have been FRAPS'ed from my perspective as a Squad Leader, and uploaded to the web. I find them extremely useful for examining my actions as an SL and finding areas that I need to improve on. Also, they're quite entertaining if you like watching a match from a perspective you might not necessarily take.

I'm attempting to make this a weekly thing, and so far I have three separate rounds up called Day 1, 2 and 3 respectively. The link for Part 1 of Day 1 can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Inb7UTZKF4 . If you want to watch the rest of 'em, just click on More from this User.

I apologise for using YouTube; it has a ten minute time limit on each individual video (hence splitting each Day into multiple parts) and I don't have a dedicate webspace provider to host them. I'm considering using Google Video for future Days if the quality is better. (Also realise it ain't a mini-mod anymore - will change that for future entries).

All rounds were played on the Australian Bigdy server - pretty much the only worthwhile server down here. Hope you enjoy 'em, and hell, maybe even pick up a few neat tricks.

Spaz
2007-04-04, 10:38
watched day one, and its really cool, would love to play with you sometime! :) Send me a pm if you got msn or xfire :)

Spaz

Fullforce
2007-04-04, 11:57
Great stuff! Really gives a nice show of PR.

Popa
2007-04-06, 17:11
I've watched day 1 and picked up many tips from it. Gotta go watch the other 2 now.

Great work lawd!

Randleman5102
2007-04-06, 17:32
Nice work.

blud
2007-04-07, 04:43
Why would you send 6 guys to Estate (on foot no less) when it's obvious that the other 2 small squads and a bunch of blues are pretty much not going to cap kyongan ni? So you basically wasted your squad of 6 guys for the first 6 minutes of the round, making it a 20 on 14 game (for China), while your guys just hiked around in the forest doing nothing for your team.

I'm all for leap-frogging flags, but I just think that was a very bad call that hurt your team and allowed china to roll you back to your last base. The video just shows that USMC would have done just as well during that 10 minute period if your squad stayed at home base and stood still staring at each other.

Sry I wouldn't post such a negative post except that people are praising your tactics here and I don't get it.

The video diary thing is a good idea though, and I understand that PR isn't too big in Australia so, it's cool that you are doing things with it and building it up with this, etc. My only tip is that PR is about resources. Use your resources wisely. If 1 team uses their vehicles and men well, and the other team has their guys hiding in forests not attacking, then that's a waste of resources.

ThePhotoshop
2007-04-07, 06:50
Thank you for the tip, and yes, it was a pretty bad use of resources. It was a very early game and I wasn't as farmiliar with the mechanics of PR, which is why I felt taking out their Estate rally point was a priority (I don't think they respawned in this version.)

It's a good example of something that I've learned from and won't make the same mistake in the future. Don't worry about being negative, I did ask for feedback in any form.

Project Reality ain't that huge in Australia (at least compared to vBF2) but it is starting to build a dedicated player base. We only have one server worth playing on.

blud
2007-04-07, 08:31
Have you heard of Gungrave Warriors? (They are an Australian clan who just joined the PRL)

fuzzhead
2007-04-13, 11:43
Wow Photoshop!!!! Day 4 is AMAZING!!!! how long did that take to do??? very well done man!!! This is without a doubt the best PR video I have seen to date! Yes, better than the promo video by far, cause it shows REAL teamwork in a live game!

Keep it up man!

ThePhotoshop
2007-04-13, 12:57
Thanks heaps, I'm very proud of it. It's taken be about four days so far to get that nine minutes together, and after two more days I'm halfway through Part 2 of 4. It's very time consuming, but I love it.

*2Recon*
2007-04-13, 12:58
Really cool. Part 4 is truly amazing. Reminds me of 24 with the split creens and stuff. Thank you and keep it up!

dbzao
2007-04-17, 04:49
Yep, great job man. I liked all the days. Day 4 is indeed very nice with the 3rd person scenes. Part 2 ended with me saying "Omg that spec ops just got healed right in his face and he's looking at the map!! What will happen?!" :p

But hey, even just the 1st person videos are very nice. If you get tired of doing the 3rd person recordings, just having 1st person is not bad at all.

Looking forward for the next ones ;)

PF-Greasy Monkey
2007-04-17, 07:20
great stuff
I like the way you see everything from a different angle

theSASTA
2007-04-17, 09:25
very cool video!
as others said before.. day 4 for the win.... u get the feeling u wont miss any actions with your different views. keep up the good work

Kruder
2007-04-17, 12:12
Yeah very good editing,soundtrack and teamwork.These videos might be even used as official teasers for PR.
Keep it up

ThePhotoshop
2007-04-19, 04:19
Day 4 is up in it's entirety.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiGT7zfui-c
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSklto3eCSY
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbqPOAv9v08
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oSVspdWFTs

arthuro12
2007-04-19, 07:15
i lobve this... very nice 10/10 this should be like promovid or something..

ThePhotoshop
2007-06-14, 05:06
Day 5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsccCzZDyOU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TqeslkgnNU

Day 6:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qokWCn37c0A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnr0GGZu8Lg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G9-dvG9QxE

Outlawz7
2007-06-14, 08:35
Hmm, what I really like, is the tactic, where SL moves in to the objective and only then his squad spawns on him...so less travelling and logictics needed...

eggman
2007-06-14, 08:51
lovely work!

MadTommy
2007-06-14, 09:07
great vids.. the best yet.. by a mile.

And VERY good squad leading. :thumbsup:

Rhino
2007-06-14, 09:47
just watched day 4 and it was really cool, very nice use of camera work and splitting up of different screens etc :)

nice squad leading too, lots of things you do I also do when im leading a squad thou I tend to keep my squad mates closer to me, and tend to do get my squad mates to regroup more, thou I may try your style of sending "fire teams" off to do different jobs more :)

anyways really nice vids, going to have to watch the rest some time :)

ThePhotoshop
2007-06-14, 15:00
The fireteams work great because I tend to lead with a style that attempts to account for probably more aspects of the map than I should be concerned with (example: getting jeriff to destroy the Tunnel rally point in Day 4's Ghost Train ahead of time). Due to the separation of our squad we are vulnerable to massed attack every now and then, but our actions will almost always prevent this from happening in the first place.

And preventing something is always better than dealing with it when it comes around ;)

Glad you guys are enjoying the vids, too.

Zodiaccup
2007-06-14, 16:06
Really love it, but I would suggest to upload your videos on http://www.filefront.com/, their stream has a much better quality.
And you really put some work into this, it's a shame to let this get f***ed up by youtube.

Red Halibut
2007-06-14, 16:08
Just as a query can you please tell me:

a) Which editing package you used?
b) How you synched the sound with the video.
c) What spec PC do you have that can still be playable while running fraps?
d) What music was that?

I am referring to what is quickly becoming the legendary day 4 diary. ;)

Good work Photoshop!

ThePhotoshop
2007-06-15, 00:53
a) Which editing package you used?
Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5

b) How you synched the sound with the video.
Are you referring to the in-game audio being synched with visuals? Because that's already done in the FRAPS file. If you're referring to the music being in time with the visuals - well, this is a skill that can only be acquired with practice.

c) What spec PC do you have that can still be playable while running fraps?
Pentium 4 3.2GHz with HyperThreading
1024MB RAM
Ati Mobility X600 256MB
100GB HDD

As you can see it's not that powerful. In order to still be playable whilst FRAPSing, you need to find a good balance between FRAPS' and the game's settings. I'm running PR with Geometry, Texture, and Terrain on Medium, whilst everything else is on either Low or Off. The game's resolution is set to 1024x768. FRAPS is recording at half this size (so 512x384) and at 40 frames per second.

Playing with these settings will get me a consistent 25 to 30 frames per second in-game whilst FRAPSing. Still very playable. The only thing that lowers it is an artillery strike or smoke grenade.

A 40 minute round will take up anywhere between 6 and 10 GB, whilst editing with Premiere will take another 5 to 10 GB for conformed audio and compressed previews. So you need a lot of hard drive space.

ThePhotoshop
2007-06-15, 04:49
Oh, and the music to Day 4 is from John Powell's soundtracks to The Bourne Identity and The Bourne Supremacy.

billdan
2007-06-17, 01:32
24!!!!!!!!!!!
me likes!!!
own all seasons...waiting on 6
doesnt mean im a republican because i thing Jack Bauer is 1337

btw great job day 4 is the best-lol just like how "Day 4" is considered the best 24 season so far

just saw day 5 and 6....why do away with the "24" split-screens?

Hx.Clavdivs
2007-06-18, 02:39
BludShoT']Why would you send 6 guys to Estate (on foot no less) when it's obvious that the other 2 small squads and a bunch of blues are pretty much not going to cap kyongan ni? So you basically wasted your squad of 6 guys for the first 6 minutes of the round, making it a 20 on 14 game (for China), while your guys just hiked around in the forest doing nothing for your team.

I'm all for leap-frogging flags, but I just think that was a very bad call that hurt your team and allowed china to roll you back to your last base. The video just shows that USMC would have done just as well during that 10 minute period if your squad stayed at home base and stood still staring at each other.

Sry I wouldn't post such a negative post except that people are praising your tactics here and I don't get it.

The video diary thing is a good idea though, and I understand that PR isn't too big in Australia so, it's cool that you are doing things with it and building it up with this, etc. My only tip is that PR is about resources. Use your resources wisely. If 1 team uses their vehicles and men well, and the other team has their guys hiding in forests not attacking, then that's a waste of resources.

Hi Bludshot.

As usual, I disagree. On 1 or 2 points.
Bringing the forces up from main towards Estate is not such a bad idea. Reason for this is that he had RPG (and if I am not mistaking an H-AT). If the US had managed to hold their side of the bridge for 2 more minutes, the SL could have done the following.

With the RP down, (the first one set),

1) One rogue (or is that rogue? it's rogue - corrected now) agent could proceed stealth towards their spawnpoint and taken it out.

2) His men could have taken position by the riverside covering both sides of the river. It could be argued that his RPG/H-AT could have gotten a clear shot right in the (cough) "butt" of those tanks and taken them out faster.

The way I have seen previous attempts unfold (my gaming experience), 2 things would happen. One of them is that chineese resources would pull out of Kyongan Ni towards them, or they would spawn at Estate and come down the hill to their right (don't remember the compass directions right now, sorry - but from Estate) - or they could get real unfortunate, like they did that first day. They saw no action.

Now, if that same rogue agent was still active taken out the spawnpoint or not (and still alive), he would be in a position to warn his mates before they reached their area. And they would be in great shape to defend and defeat the hostile threat. Not to mention that those trees would seriously hamper any heavy armour movement.

And I actually like that a squad proceeded on foot. To many folks spawn on main bases and hysterically rush towards vehicles crying "MINE MINE MINE". Or even worse, they get NOTHING. And get stuck at main base for those aforementioned 10 minutes staring at each other, like you mentioned. That is the first reason, the second is, that people get split up when getting to any free space available in vehicles and are spread to every direction. Because of the lack of communication with the drivers.

On foot gives you the best position to proceed towards a target (especially when you only run, not sprint) and situation awareness actually increases. You have time to concentrate whats around you, and not whats "rushing" you by.

And on a final note (by the way, I am not bashing Bludshot), if you look closely, I seem to see that squad 2 also starts at main base. They make the fatal error of running up along the riverside and gets slaughtered. And offcourse, there are only 2 squads proceeding that route. Diversity of troop deployment.

Apologize for long response.

ThePhotoshop
2007-06-18, 02:57
This is a guy who I'd like to make a diary with.

Teek
2007-06-18, 04:35
This is a Guy who I'd like to make a diary with!
*Waits for Clav's response egerly* :D

ThePhotoshop
2007-06-19, 02:03
My apologies in advance if I have misplaced your gender! ^^

Outlawz7
2007-06-19, 04:08
LOL

When will the Day 7 come?

ThePhotoshop
2007-06-19, 04:47
I have FRAPS'ed numerous rounds for Day 7 but none of them are really worth showing. I'm waiting for a good round of Jabal al Burj as USMC; pushing the MEC back to their hidey-hole is always intense and fun, and I have a few manoeuvres I wish to experiment with.

Teek
2007-06-19, 06:34
My apologies in advance if I have misplaced your gender! ^^
:lol: not quite the comedy I had in mind, but it will do :D

Xmaster
2007-06-19, 16:35
Very nice videos. Im really looking forward to play with you. Seem to be a really competent SL. What are your gaming time?

ThePhotoshop
2007-06-20, 01:34
I play on the Australian server called BigD. So, since you're from Canada, you probably won't be able to play.

I can't really play effectively on TacticalGamer or the other US servers, let-alone lead a squad properly as my ping is a constant 300.

Hx.Clavdivs
2007-06-22, 13:40
*Waits for Clav's response egerly* :D

I have properly trained you folks to do the "response" for me. My work here is done. Back on topic: That there are some pretty good vid's. To bad I'm in Norway, my ping makes me useless on American servers. If that was not the case, I would willingly be "quiet GI Jane with medibag".

Xmaster
2007-06-22, 20:45
I play on the Australian server called BigD. So, since you're from Canada, you probably won't be able to play.

I can't really play effectively on TacticalGamer or the other US servers, let-alone lead a squad properly as my ping is a constant 300.
I just cried :(

Bob_Marley
2007-06-22, 23:39
*hands Xmaster a tissue*

There there.

Hx.Clavdivs
2007-06-22, 23:58
No worries mate - there are some pretty fantastic gamers anywhere in the world!

ThePhotoshop
2007-07-02, 08:14
Day 7 is up, this time on Google Video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2736913330022694062&hl=en

dbzao
2007-07-02, 09:39
Nice... :D some good combat there... too bad you don't play the game with full quality :(

G.Drew
2007-07-02, 14:36
nice 1 m8, good work

fuzzhead
2007-07-02, 16:23
photoshop you should do one of the v0.6 beta :)

Outlawz7
2007-07-02, 17:24
Day 7 is up, this time on Google Video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2736913330022694062&hl=en

Can you continue to upload to Google Videos, so your videos wont be split apart , like they are now on YouTube? ;-)

ThePhotoshop
2007-07-02, 21:20
Yup. And I can't do one of the beta seeing as the only populated server gives me a 300 ping :(. I'll do one of the actual 0.6 final when we can play down here in Australia.

Spearhead
2007-07-03, 01:33
Great videos. Especially good camerawork on day 4. Too bad the quality of YouTube is comparably low. Would make for great promo videos.

ThePhotoshop
2007-07-03, 07:26
I still have Day 4 in higher quality (much better than YouTube, totals around 250MB for all four parts). Would people be keen on downloading the better quality version? And, would you rather download hi-res versions with each new "Day" than watch a streamed version?

Each day would be between 250 - 350MB, depending on the round length, for those concerned about download quotas.

Spearhead
2007-07-03, 14:27
Since day4 is the most "cinematic" of them I suggest trying out the download concept with it. Generally youtube offers a good platform to take a look into the videos but if you want to look at them again you would prefer a higher quality to also be able to see more details. That's just my opinion on that.

I would like to see the higher quality download version.

ThePhotoshop
2007-07-04, 07:26
Day 8 on Steel Thunder:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4099511187777002457&hl=en

dbzao
2007-07-04, 12:39
Nice... who said that PR is boring with no action? :p you guys didn't have any time to breathe :p

ThePhotoshop
2007-07-07, 02:15
The Project Reality Diaries now have a website! New videos will now appear at www.prdiaries.com.

Outlawz7
2007-07-07, 05:47
woot! :D

Skullening.Chris
2007-07-07, 06:20
Awww, I was hoping this would be like Red Shoe Diaries.
[apologies if someone already made that joke]

ThePhotoshop
2007-07-07, 07:05
I have properly trained you folks to do the "response" for me. My work here is done. Back on topic: That there are some pretty good vid's. To bad I'm in Norway, my ping makes me useless on American servers. If that was not the case, I would willingly be "quiet GI Jane with medibag".

Our high-ping kicker is set to 300, you may get a better ping on an Aussie server than an American one. Give it a go, and if it doesn't kick you then you can still be useful as a medic!

Fondue
2007-07-09, 10:42
Yeah, my internet is fairly slow and I was lag-less on Photoshop's server. Too bad I couldn't get into his squad, woulda been good for a game on my first day of PRM.

ThePhotoshop
2007-07-09, 13:03
Just ask for a spot next time you see me leading, the regulars won't mind making room for new people willing to learn.

ThePhotoshop
2007-07-10, 08:42
Day 4 is out in hi-res, hosted on FileFront. Click the image to be taken to it:

http://users.on.net/hindes/diary/day4_download.jpg (http://files.filefront.com/prdiary+day4+fullzip/;8009026;;/fileinfo.html)

Spoons27
2007-07-13, 15:39
Wow amazing work but is there any way to balance the sound as the levels are very high and distort for some of the voip.

Hx.Clavdivs
2007-07-13, 19:31
Our high-ping kicker is set to 300, you may get a better ping on an Aussie server than an American one. Give it a go, and if it doesn't kick you then you can still be useful as a medic!

I'll see if I can't find you. Only trouble is, when you folks log on we (some of the Hx) are so shamelessly drunk that we are only usefull as entertainment value to other troops. (Se tag)

Then again, I can picture us singing a repertoire of "For the boys".

|kauffman|
2007-07-17, 20:34
Nice work ThePhotoshop...

these vids are as educational as they are entertaining.... i could watch these all day!

more please!?

-K

Hx.Clavdivs
2007-07-21, 04:04
Well, they need more singing folks ...

ThePhotoshop
2007-07-21, 08:15
Just bought a brand new, absolute beast of a machine and FRAPS refuses to work properly. I get audio popping and video stuttering, so I download the new version with support for Dual Cores and the program won't even run any more. Until I get this fixed or find an alternative to FRAPS there will be no more diaries.

Outlawz7
2007-07-21, 12:05
I got dual core and Fraps runs fine :|