PDA

View Full Version : T-62, The real Anti-Air

Desertfox
2007-03-15, 06:41
3 Cobra's
2 A-10's
&
1 Blackhawk

All died by the hands of a heat round from the T-62 :D Man this thing is just awesome!

ReadMenace
2007-03-15, 07:02
Pay homage Desert, pay homage.

Brood
2007-03-15, 07:04
*Pours some out for one's homies*

IronTaxi
2007-03-15, 07:32
nuff said...

Smitty4212
2007-03-15, 08:18
Yeah, it's unbelievably easy to bring down air with the T-62. The A-10s are far too easy to bring down, since they fly so low and slow (which, given the very low draw distances, is kind of required), but still fun I guess.

ReadMenace
2007-03-15, 08:35
My luck w/ A10s is limited to when they're strafing me; makes a shot alot easier.

Jonathan_Archer_nx01
2007-03-15, 08:37
And that is OK isn't it?

EagleEyeLG
2007-03-15, 09:04
I was the blackhawk you shot down, I was confused as to what the hell had hit me to bring me down in one shot. I believe there were 4 passengers with me.

ReadMenace
2007-03-15, 09:21
And that is OK isn't it?

Yes it is; I'm just pained that surpassed me at my own game (T62 sniping).

Expendable Grunt
2007-03-15, 13:54
I've never hopped into a T62 -- I'll have to see what makes them different from an Abram.

El_Vikingo
2007-03-15, 14:37
A10 a la BF2 PR Al Basrah - http://vidmax.com/index.php/videos/view/827

(Wierd milk commercial - http://vidmax.com/index.php/videos/view/946 )

Jonathan_Archer_nx01
2007-03-15, 15:28
A10 a la BF2 PR Al Basrah - http://vidmax.com/index.php/videos/view/827

(Wierd milk commercial - http://vidmax.com/index.php/videos/view/946 )

omg After watching this I would never buy that milk. I think I gonna puke when I see it in stores.

The Japs are not the only ones who make weird commercials http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzovhDU6LDM

El_Vikingo
2007-03-15, 18:19
You think thats bad; take a look at this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arfNofxBtfY

Expendable Grunt
2007-03-15, 18:22
@ Weird Milk Commercial

OH DEAR GODS... O_________O;

@ Suicide VW

Seen that tons of times, always funny. Can we get one in game?

eddie
2007-03-15, 18:43
Yeah........stick to the topic.

Jonathan_Archer_nx01
2007-03-15, 19:05
@ Weird Milk Commercial

OH DEAR GODS... O_________O;

@ Suicide VW

Seen that tons of times, always funny. Can we get one in game?

That dog, Astra or Polo?

Griffon2-6
2007-03-15, 19:17
GET BACK ON TOPIC OR ELSE!

TristanYockell
2007-03-15, 22:57
Yea I'v shot down over 10 aircraft in one go with a T62, then followed by running out of ammunition, and finaly getting shredded with the GAU-8.

da_schmitty
2007-03-15, 23:00
A-10 *spooges*

Expendable Grunt
2007-03-15, 23:51
What makes the T-62 special in the AA role?

TII
2007-03-16, 00:24
What makes the T-62 special in the AA role?

Because it's the best thing the insurgents have going, provided you can stay alive long enough to use it. HEAT shell is one shot kill on aircraft and it is as fast as a bullet so very little lead is needed.

Expendable Grunt
2007-03-16, 01:11
Oh ok cool thanks for the info, will have to make use of it if I'm ever ins. on that map.

Wasteland
2007-03-16, 06:15
Tanks never last long if I'm commanding. At least as long as I have decent pilots at my disposal. Like StyrmanKarlson (or something to that effect) and xSSx larme113. Both pilots very good at following my airstrike commands. They listen to what kind of ordinance to use, as what direction to approach from.

Tanks don't stand a chance. Then again neither do spawn cars, APCs, clusters of bad guys, or snipers.

Now if only more cobra pilot/gunners would form up their own squad and follow my god damned orders.

Smitty4212
2007-03-16, 06:20
Tanks never last long if I'm commanding. At least as long as I have decent pilots at my disposal. Like StyrmanKarlson (or something to that effect) and xSSx larme113. Both pilots very good at following my airstrike commands. They listen to what kind of ordinance to use, as what direction to approach from.

Tanks don't stand a chance. Then again neither do spawn cars, APCs, clusters of bad guys, or snipers.

Now if only more cobra pilot/gunners would form up their own squad and follow my god damned orders.

As much as I'd like to believe you, and I do appreciate playing with you, but it's WAY too easy for a tank to destroy an A10. Due to the limited draw view, they have to fly low and slow (very, very unrealistically slow) to attack, making them viable targets for T-62s, and even RPGS, which, to put it bluntly is stupid. Yeah, RPGS taking down A10s... realistic.

Wasteland
2007-03-16, 06:21
If they have an attack command directly on the tank, draw distance isn't an issue.

Dylan
2007-03-16, 07:50
As much as I'd like to believe you, and I do appreciate playing with you, but it's WAY too easy for a tank to destroy an A10. Due to the limited draw view, they have to fly low and slow (very, very unrealistically slow) to attack, making them viable targets for T-62s, and even RPGS, which, to put it bluntly is stupid. Yeah, RPGS taking down A10s... realistic.
I would advise making your post constructive. We cannot make view distance unlimited, as right now you guys complain that maps like Al Basrah have too much lag as it is. If you want to criticize the work of this mod due to engine limitations we cannot change, I would advise you to go to your local game store and buy a different game. I would also like to add that your post is a form of trolling, which I do not approve, as I am sure the other mods will agree.

bobfish
2007-03-16, 09:04
Nothing wrong with draw distance if you know where to aim.

This is the good thing about having pilot squads, the commander or squad leader designates the target using the map, then the pilot has a nice little line and icon taking him directly to the target.. if it doesn't move. Great for taking out spawn cars, APCs and the odd tank who stops :)

xgayox
2007-03-16, 10:27

To be honest, thats the fault of the a-10's. The t-62's on level ground can only aim to a certain point in the sky, and i think ive had maybe 2-3 smart pilots who take advantage of that and strafe me alot higher than i can aim, killing me real quickly.

Jonathan_Archer_nx01
Because it's the best thing the insurgents have going, provided you can stay alive long enough to use it. HEAT shell is one shot kill on aircraft and it is as fast as a bullet so very little lead is needed.

As far as I know, only Sabot is supposed to be fast. Heat should be much slower.

xgayox

Is heat faster than AP? Ive been using AP all this time. I like to conserve my heat for when the USMC infantry get too close.

causticbeat
2007-03-16, 10:39
Is heat faster than AP? Ive been using AP all this time. I like to conserve my heat for when the USMC infantry get too close.

ahhh do it the other way! the way i view it is i can alwasy use my gun against infantry, but if i run out of sabots im fucked when an abrams or APC comes along

I kinda think HEAT shells are a waste on armor, and id much rather have double the SABOTs and maybe a bit more ammo for the gunners mg

now the apc on the other hand, its the other way around

xgayox
2007-03-16, 10:54
ahhh do it the other way! the way i view it is i can alwasy use my gun against infantry, but if i run out of sabots im fucked when an abrams or APC comes along

I kinda think HEAT shells are a waste on armor, and id much rather have double the SABOTs and maybe a bit more ammo for the gunners mg

now the apc on the other hand, its the other way around

Strange, when i see heavy armor, i usually shoot it with my pistol. I see a lot of people doing it, so it must work!

I guess that might work out better, but in my bread and butter spot on basrah, its really tight with little space, so heat saves my life when i can shoot the wall and still kill the inf. I cant do that with sabot. With my sabot experiences, youve pretty much gotta bullseye the inf to kill him, and you wont kill more than one guy unless they are practically on top of each other.

causticbeat
2007-03-16, 10:56
yeah sabot on inf is a waste, but on basrah I find that in a T62 you dont really need to worry about infantry that much. I keep them low priority, thats why i dont mind just spraying at them with the gun. Maybe a Light AT here or there. but its rare to see a heavy at. ITs not like when your in an abrams on basrah and youll jsut get hoards of suicide bombers running at you.

xgayox
2007-03-16, 11:01
yeah sabot on inf is a waste, but on basrah I find that in a T62 you dont really need to worry about infantry that much. I keep them low priority, thats why i dont mind just spraying at them with the gun. Maybe a Light AT here or there. but its rare to see a heavy at. ITs not like when your in an abrams on basrah and youll jsut get hoards of suicide bombers running at you.

Yeah, i guess its not too bad, but since i camp when im the t62 to avoid airpower, after killing a few inf, they all come back spec ops, light at.

And that last sentence is completely untrue. The basrah bikers of doom would beg to differ ;-) those guys are so badass.

causticbeat
2007-03-16, 11:03
haha that is true, but camp is all you really can do in a t62 on basrah. Its kinda best to hide and snipe at airplanes until someone spots some armor, then take the appropriate measures. Tanking as an insurgent on basrah is tough, and pretty much goes against all of the rules of smart tanking. having to pretty much get up and hide in buildings makes you pretty god damned vunerable to any infantry soldiers, but youll survive alot longer than if you sit in the desert, where youll just a10 pwned

DivS-konti
2007-03-16, 11:04
All died by the hands of a heat round from the T-62 Man this thing is just awesome!

Oh yes! It is! :mrgreen:

I once destroyed a usmc f-35 with one shot out of this tank in bf2-VANILLA (was on wake)! The pilot flew straight towards my tank's cannon. hehe boutz! I love those moments!

xgayox
2007-03-16, 11:06
haha that is true, but camp is all you really can do in a t62 on basrah. Its kinda best to hide and snipe at airplanes until someone spots some armor, then take the appropriate measures

ugh, far too often do i see t62s just milling down the main road to NVCP.

But yeah, it gets pretty hairy when the inf discovers my position. It probably doesnt help that i never have a driver either though. Not many who just want to sit there as i get all the fun, shooting down a-10s.

Harrelson
2007-03-16, 11:41
i picked up a heavy AT from usmc. camped near the ammo cache near facility and this was my tally

4 cobras,

2 tanks and 2 apcs

lets just say they were mesmerized

causticbeat
2007-03-16, 11:46
i picked up a heavy AT from usmc. camped near the ammo cache near facility and this was my tally

4 cobras,

2 tanks and 2 apcs

my basrah dream is a heavy at

xgayox
2007-03-16, 11:48

4 cobras,

2 tanks and 2 apcs

Yes, done this before, and it is seriously a ridiculous amount of fun.

Mr.Whitlow
2007-03-16, 16:26
To be honest, thats the fault of the a-10's. The t-62's on level ground can only aim to a certain point in the sky, and i think ive had maybe 2-3 smart pilots who take advantage of that and strafe me alot higher than i can aim, killing me real quickly.
Yeah that's exactly what I did on the one time I flew A-10s on Basrah. Since it only take a few seconds to kill a tank with the 30mm, it would be silly to render yourself vulnerable.

daschewy
2007-03-16, 16:36
The t-62 is definately a good AA asset, I've been gunned down several times by them on basarah.

TII
2007-03-16, 16:43
As far as I know, only Sabot is supposed to be fast. Heat should be much slower.

Sabot is faster than HEAT, or it should be, but it probably isn't enough to notice on the small maps that we have. I save the Sabots for armor, and I've had Sabot go through a Blackhawk with no damage (may have just been lag though) so I use HEAT for infantry and aircraft.

Anybody else had the T62 get damaged and drive off by itself with no one in it? This happened to me on Basrah last night after getting strafed by an A10. I tried to repair it but I ended up getting run over by it. :oops:

Wasteland
2007-03-16, 16:53
Hahaha. It drove off by itself? That's hilarious.

You guys know that little area SE of facility, just NE of the corner of the two major roads (the one going just south of facility and the one going north-south through the middle of the city), sort of nestled in between some buildings? I always see insurgents bringing their tanks there, and then apparently not doing anything with them, but keeping people there anyway. Is that a good AA sniping spot? Or are they just trying to save them from A-10s?

Because it seems like a really stupid spot for them. I always just send my A-10s in to rape them all to hell.

TII
2007-03-16, 17:38
Yeah, I think the tracks were supposed to be damaged but it didn't quite work as planned. I got out to repair and it kept driving around in a circle, and it continued to do so after i respawned and came back to it. I couldn't get back in it without being injured or run over though hehe.

Tipsi
2007-03-16, 18:02
3 Cobra's
2 A-10's
&
1 Blackhawk

All died by the hands of a heat round from the T-62 :D Man this thing is just awesome!

And a partridge in a pear tree

JL
2007-03-19, 02:36
I haven't wasted an RPG on a A-10 yet, or even tried driving tanks on al basrah, but i have seen tank teams hiding under a certian archway south of facility :) they take a ton of SRAW / RPG hits to the front before even being disabled :/ I can say though that I have not been shot down by a tank yet

Yeah, I think the tracks were supposed to be damaged but it didn't quite work as planned. I got out to repair and it kept driving around in a circle, and it continued to do so after i respawned and came back to it. I couldn't get back in it without being injured or run over though hehe.

I've seen that happen! we disabled an M1 on a road going north-south just west of basrahs mosque, it started driving backwards, it was pretty slow.. but still funny, i took two SS with xfire

http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/large/c06272a187fdd148efbc4ccb2b20c477f3909ecd.png
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/large/54d1837f35c80115326bc8aab11076b279ae8f56.png

it actually was destroyed heading north out of the city and backed around CCW to this position facing west.. looks pretty realistic :p compare it to a real disabled tank.. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1e/DM-SD-04-07075.jpg

Deadmonkiefart
2007-03-19, 04:45
I was gunner of a cobra that was shot down in 1 shot reciently.

xgayox
2007-03-19, 05:18

THis is SO annoying. Unless you repair it while laying down on top of the tank, you'll bleed out because it keeps injuring you.

Wasteland
2007-03-19, 18:16
I was gunner of a cobra that was shot down in 1 shot reciently.

Yes, this has happened to me on several occasions. I've started keeping my cobras grounded until my A-10s can take out all the tanks.

Cherni
2007-03-19, 22:15
*cough*hax*Cough*

JL
2007-03-23, 20:32
ReadMenace shot me down in the A-10 last night with the T-62 on devfile, he has a great hiding spot and at first sight I thought it was just another spawn car and then I'm dead :O just exactly what I thought, the T-62 preys on low flying jets going in one direction :D .. while I'm dead waiting to respawn looking at him the cobra flys over and he gets killed also! by then I'm trying to get the other A-10 pilots attention and the commander over VOIP to send a hit, but nothing. the other A-10 gets shot down!! arhhh.. great games though, the round previous we went almost 600 tickets to 0 as insurgents holding down the village the entire round.. was a great game also, most defense I've seen yet!

Smitty4212
2007-03-24, 00:12
Dylan']I would advise making your post constructive. We cannot make view distance unlimited, as right now you guys complain that maps like Al Basrah have too much lag as it is. If you want to criticize the work of this mod due to engine limitations we cannot change, I would advise you to go to your local game store and buy a different game. I would also like to add that your post is a form of trolling, which I do not approve, as I am sure the other mods will agree.

I don't think increasing view distance is the solution, at least when dealing with A-10s vs. armor, so it's not really an engine limitation issue. What I was more getting at is that the distance that you lock on to vehicles is usually very short, meaning you have to fly low and slow if you don't know exactly where the vehicle is beforehand. Tanks should not have a chance against an A-10. Especially a tank as old as the T-62. They should be dead and gone before they even knew an A-10 had the drop on them. Don't think they should be on Al Basrah, sincerely doubt we have A-10s strafing the middle of Baghdad.

I mean, we talk about how arcadey certain aspects of the game are... launching grenades in CQB, insta-proning. But how realistic is it for a T-62 run by insurgents to take down an A-10, or even Cobra. As fun as they are, I really just wish planes were taken out of PR until they get completely done over. They are BY FAR the most unrealistic aspect of PR.

Deadmonkiefart
2007-03-24, 00:21
An A-10 going as slow as they do in PR and only about 50 feet of the ground probably could be hit by a T-62 IRL. Of course, IRL they do not fly that low, or that slow.

JL
2007-03-24, 02:49
Don't think they should be on Al Basrah, sincerely doubt we have A-10s strafing the middle of Baghdad.

I really just wish planes were taken out of PR until they get completely done over. They are BY FAR the most unrealistic aspect of PR.

wrong. keep the planes in PR, they are vital part of war, and very realistic to be on urban maps, they drop smart bombs on all kinds of locations in the middle of cities, air strikes are called in by troops in the city that need help. did you see the thread about the 500 lb bombs? thats CAS.

and here is a video of an A-10 strafing the Ministry of Planning building in Baghdad, this video kind of kills two birds with one stone, 1. strafing in cities and 2. flares, specifically number of and interval.

http://cops.zive.net/c-board/file/oif_hog_over_baghdad.avi

RikiRude
2007-03-24, 03:56
I experianced how good the T-62 is for taking out aircraft when I was only in one for about 10 minutes all together and took out 2 cobras 2 blackhawks 2 tanks and an APC, I love it!

ArmedDrunk&Angry
2007-03-24, 14:35
The tanks are a great way to judge the quality of the US team.
If the tanks are still alive 5 minutes into the game, the US air element is incompetent.
The tank Rikki was sitting in last night, at least part of the time, was out in the open and should have been destroyed forthwith yet I was able to bring up another tank and park it in the same spot.
The air element makes all the difference on Al Basrah. If the US has decent pilots the insurgents will be pushed back no matter what they do.

henno13
2007-04-02, 17:27
use SABOTS!