PDA

View Full Version : Release Project Reality v0.509 SERVER ONLY Update Released!

eggman
2007-03-02, 02:00
First off, we would like to thank everyone for your patience while we have been working through the issues involved with the Project Reality v0.5 release. We have spent the last two weeks working on resolving various server crash issues and other performance problems. With that said, we are proud to officially release the Project Reality v0.509 Server-Side Update.

http://realitymod.com/images/pr05/v509patch.jpg (http://realitymod.com/downloadlinks.html)

This server side only update resolves all known server crash causes, greatly improves lag problems, and also addresses some important game play dynamics issues. All server administers should uninstall there current server version of PR v0.5 and then install the PR v0.509 Server Update. If your server participated in the Open Beta, you need to download the latest version linked below as there were some minor changes.

Players DO NOT need to download anything as this is a SERVER ONLY update.

Important Changes and Updates:
The use of CP groups is now less liberal than with the initial release.
Flag capture timers have been extended and it now takes much longer for flags to go neutral.
Server performance should not deteriorate over time.
No time limits on Officer Kit requests.
Rally Points can now be set every minute (used to be 3 minutes).
Anti-Air weapons are now much more effective.
Heavy Anti-Tank and Anti-Air kits can no longer be requested at Rally Points (only at APC’s, supply crates, and main bases).
A 10 second timer has been implemented that will now kill a player that stays in a vehicle position with the wrong kit or that is not in the same squad as the player that "owns" the vehicle.
All jets now have a 30 second warm up time.
For a complete list of changes and fixes, please view the Change Log (http://guide.realitymod.com/index.php?title=Changelogs#Project_Reality_v0.509_ SERVER_UPDATE_ONLY_Change_Log).

Server Administrators can get the files here:
http://www.gloryhoundz.com/prmm/downloads/builds/pr_0509_server.zip

Players can view the Change Log HERE (http://guide.realitymod.com/index.php?title=Changelogs#Project_Reality_v0.509_ SERVER_UPDATE_ONLY_Change_Log).

Thank you again for all of your patience and we hope you find this update of Project Reality enjoyable. The team has already begun work on PR v0.6 and we making great progress on creating another feature packed release. There is an insane new element coming to Project Reality in v0.6. In German it starts with a “K” and ends with an “N” .. Can anyone guess what it is?

-The Project Reality Team

dementt
2007-03-02, 02:06
Good job fellas, now lets wait for the majority of servers to absorb this and enjoy lagfree game again :P

Rhino
2007-03-02, 02:09
*waits for servers to put brit maps up again :D*

Hfett
2007-03-02, 02:15
Yeahhh :-P :-P

I hope that the brazilian server will update tomorow =)

[PTG]Z.user
2007-03-02, 02:26
Good stuff I'll be looking forward to great gaming now with this update!

noir-colombia-
2007-03-02, 02:53
finally its out, great job.

noir-colombia-
2007-03-02, 02:56
starts with k and ends with N?

KOMMANDER KEEN?? ......pogo.......

SethLive!
2007-03-02, 03:06
Great job guys!

Desertfox
2007-03-02, 03:19
lol stupid question :-P How do I update the devfile server? Do I just go into bf2 server > Mods > and put it there then restart or is there something else :p

Fracsid
2007-03-02, 03:27
I looked over the changelogs, very nice.... How exactly do you fix singleplayer bugs with a server patch, though?

The anti air effectiveness was much needed... I remember firing at least six grail rockets at a blackhawk on Jabal, with an APC ammo supply next to me, and either not a single one hit or they didn't do enough damage to kill it.

Desertfox
2007-03-02, 03:31
I looked over the changelogs, very nice.... How exactly do you fix singleplayer bugs with a server patch, though?

The anti air effectiveness was much needed... I remember firing at least six grail rockets at a blackhawk on Jabal, with an APC ammo supply next to me, and either not a single one hit or they didn't do enough damage to kill it.

One word. Window. They all go through the window its like :shock: but yeah :-P

So will 1 AA shot set them on fire? It should set them on fire so they only have say 27 seconds to get repairs or they are boom!

Clypp
2007-03-02, 03:35
K..N is not:
javelin
harrier
huey
mortar
artillery or any variant

I'm still trying things in google translate...anyone know german?

*420*acedl
2007-03-02, 03:38
Uploading Now on the *420* Jedis Projecty Reality, Hold on for a ride folks !!

thanks guys very excited to play the on the new patch, keep up the good work we are with ya on this. once again thanks for keeping this free and the community thriving. its more then most would do for a game :shock:

Rhino']*waits for servers to put brit maps up again :D*

will be playing them all we've been waiting yay ! whats ones u wanna play? we are open to suggestions for now let us know,!

awesome

*420* acedl

*420*acedl
2007-03-02, 03:44
Its POW's i looked it up on the internet, germany milatary terms am i correct do i get a award, the other choice was motor bike police. lol

i think its prisoners of war ?

Desertfox
2007-03-02, 03:45
K..N is not:
javelin
harrier
huey
mortar
artillery or any variant

I'm still trying things in google translate...anyone know german?

I THINK I found out what it is, im not 100% sure but it just seems all to big of a coincidence.

LeoBloom.
2007-03-02, 03:46
Added 10s timer that will kill a player that stays in a vehicle position with the wrong kit, or not on the same squad as the player that "owns" the vehicle.

What is the point of this part of the update, more the second part than the first?

Clypp
2007-03-02, 03:52
Its POW's i looked it up on the internet, germany milatary terms am i correct do i get a award, the other choice was motor bike police. lol

i think its prisoners of war ?

POW = Kriegsgefangen

Good call. I don't see how that would work though...

Griffon2-6
2007-03-02, 03:54
POW extract?

OkitaMakoto
2007-03-02, 03:58
http://www.feldgrau.com/articles.php?ID=69

Kradschützen: Motorcycle unit or soldier.

im guessing motorcycles... google took me 2 minutes to get that one...

*edit* do I win anything? like, say, a faster internet connection so I can play online with you all? ... :( no? ... :( ok....

eggman
2007-03-02, 03:58
not POWs :p

And we already have motorcycles :)

Good Babelfishing tho :D

OkitaMakoto
2007-03-02, 04:02
damn... i felt so good about that one.... can i still have a better internet connection though?

OAKside
2007-03-02, 04:57
Good job fellas, now lets wait for the majority of servers to absorb this and enjoy lagfree game againRoger that.

Thank you guys not only for the work put in on this update but the fact that you put "SERVER ONLY" in the title and over-emphasized the fact. Dumb questions from anonymous people annoy me...

Desertfox
2007-03-02, 05:00
Devfile.com 24/7 Al Basrah is up and running .509

=dB=O8.Ed
2007-03-02, 05:14
Gameranks server up running Desert maps and ABR in PROS only mode!
GREAT JOB GUYS!!!!
Thanks

scratch
2007-03-02, 06:09
Nice work. I'd love to see a client patch though, to fix the blurry chinese assault weapon scope and the LOD models of the ironsights of mounted machine guns.

Anyway, need to go test your patch. xD

Btw, what does PROS mean?

Kadoogan
2007-03-02, 06:16
Excellent news right after waking up!

And since this is my first post here i'd like to say hello to everyone and thank you devs for making this excellent mod. :smile:

JS.Fortnight.A
2007-03-02, 06:22
Btw, what does PROS mean?

Project Reality Official Settings (no changes made to the mod by server admins. EX: No armor on maps that in a stock PR map have armor.)

So on a PROS server, there would be armor because there were no changes made by the server admin.

Backwood
2007-03-02, 06:42
So are all the British vs. China maps now playable?? Can´t wait to run those on oue server, thanks in advance

Rhino
2007-03-02, 06:44
British vs maps are now playable :)

*420*acedl
2007-03-02, 06:45
Problems Guys, The Server Crashed with 30 ppl from helmand to ejod, the server was up for about 2hrs then crashed... it seems other servers have crashed too whats the wrong, i can get the log error from the bf2cc client. aye idk it was a weird crash. either it crashed or disconnected. will check logs, because it went to begining of the rotation. idk this was weird

everything else is sweeet, we played a good hour or more on muttrah makes it easier now just need at leaset 2 good squads

happened to 420 Jedis Server hmm... minor problem im sure

|TG|Beatnik
2007-03-02, 07:28
Thanks for the update, Devs! Got in a couple rounds with it tonight. :)

Chaser3300
2007-03-02, 08:02
First, i want to say thx for this great mod to the Devs.
Here my considerations to the new feature:

KHB Kampfhubschrauberbataillon = Combat helicopter battalion (already available )
KH Kampfhandlungen = Fighting (already available )
KBB Kabelbaubataillon = Battalion of building of cables
KpfTr Kampf-Truppe(n) = Combat troops (already available )

Krankenwagen = Ambulance (would be nice to get your wounded out of the heat zone - maybe with a punishment if the enemy shoots at it) MEDical EVACuation (MEDEVAC)
Kindergarten = childyard (for our small fighters lol)
Karabinerhaken = snap hook (only sense makes --> fast rope)
Künstlerroman = Artist novel (nice animation if you are afk or in an secure zone *G*)

Can you pls give us one more hint?

K___________N -> how many letters?

Darkpowder
2007-03-02, 08:27
Nice changes, a few tactical changes will be in the offing no doubt, and thanks for implementing some of the rally point ideas about frequency and requesting of officer kit i proposed. AAA improvements are good.

Couple of queries?

1 - Why the change to reduce heavy AT effectiveness vs Tank tracks? Its not an easy shot to hit them and often heavy AT gunners dont risk not hitting the tank at all to bother to aim at them. If someone has the skill and takes the effort to do so, perhaps the damage should remain, or was it that the tank disable code was too easily being triggered?

"* 75% increase in damage done to helicopters from AA cannons (ZPU4, M167)"

Q: Is this only to helicopters, why not aircraft? I suppose in some respects the rotors and such and bearings (if not the underside and main armour) are vulnerable to 23mm HIEx rounds, compared to aircraft like the A-10.
Aircraft are very fast though, so naturally less vulnerable by their behaviour, as they can't hover and such. So, is this 75% applied to all air assets?

Rhino
2007-03-02, 08:37
Nice changes, a few tactical changes will be in the offing no doubt, and thanks for implementing some of the rally point ideas about frequency and requesting of officer kit i proposed. AAA improvements are good.

Couple of queries?

1 - Why the change to reduce heavy AT effectiveness vs Tank tracks? Its not an easy shot to hit them and often heavy AT gunners dont risk not hitting the tank at all to bother to aim at them. If someone has the skill and takes the effort to do so, perhaps the damage should remain, or was it that the tank disable code was too easily being triggered?

"* 75% increase in damage done to helicopters from AA cannons (ZPU4, M167)"

Q: Is this only to helicopters, why not aircraft? I suppose in some respects the rotors and such and bearings (if not the underside and main armour) are vulnerable to 23mm HIEx rounds, compared to aircraft like the A-10.
Aircraft are very fast though, so naturally less vulnerable by their behaviour, as they can't hover and such. So, is this 75% applied to all air assets?

1. Heavy AT was such a non skilled weapon before. you could hide anywhere in the city on EJOD, use the 2x zoom and see a tank for miles away, really easy target, rocket travvles really fast, in every way it was easy to get kills as the tank dosent have a clue where you are and out in thous dunes, very few places to hide fully from a H-AT. Also before if you saw a tank comming you would just think "hummm, now there is a rally point over there, let me just go there quick, request a H-AT kit, and blow that tank to kingdom come then swap back to my old kit". Heavy AT before was just far far to easy...

2. I think its too all aircraft but dont take my word on it.

Desertfox
2007-03-02, 08:45
Heres what I think.

The canadians use the c7a1, its posted as a WIP in the media gallery, also and the biggest one. Canadian in german is get this! "Kanadian"!!!! :-D Are the canadians coming to project reality?

eggman
2007-03-02, 08:52
nobody has guessed the K & N thing.

AAA was about 74% boost to helos and about 40% boost to aircraft (changelog got fuddled up there).

If anybody is experiencing end of round crashes .. and your server is ABR enabled, we think this might be ABR related.. looking into it.

Darkpowder
2007-03-02, 09:01
Rhino']1. Heavy AT was such a non skilled weapon before.<cut> easy to get kills as the tank dosent have a clue where you are and out in thous dunes, very few places to hide fully from a H-AT. Also before if you saw a tank comming you would just think "hummm, now there is a rally point over there, let me just go there quick, request a H-AT kit, and blow that tank to kingdom come then swap back to my old kit"

Sure, point taken but i was only really asking about the tank track damage.
The change to the rally point re: heavy AT is very good and realistic.
Its only the specifics i was asking about tank-track per-se i was curious about.

alroar
2007-03-02, 09:02
nice job guys!

eggman
2007-03-02, 09:07
wrt tank tracks it was because it was still possible to one shot a tank from the front by hitting it in the tracks. There's a probability that a tank will suffer a critical failure from a track hit now, but won't blow it to smithereens. Need to hit a tank with Hvy AT to the rear / top to blow it to smithereens in 1 shot.

[AUT]_HawK
2007-03-02, 09:31
Canadian in german is get this! "Kanadian"!!!! :-D Are the canadians coming to project reality?

Canadian is in German "Kanadier"

Words starting with "K" in German (regarding PR):

Krieg..... (War...) <-- "Kriegsanleihen" war bonds (like in WWII) :)
Kugel.... (Bullet...)
Kamerad...(comrade...)
Kampf...(Battle..)
köpfen (Chop head off) <-- I'd like that one :)

bosco_
2007-03-02, 09:49
Very nice, looking forward to play with it tonight.

Desertfox
2007-03-02, 09:51
damm free translation for giving me a inaccurate translation!

Darkpowder
2007-03-02, 10:29
eggman']wrt tank tracks it was because it was still possible to one shot a tank from the front by hitting it in the tracks. There's a probability that a tank will suffer a critical failure from a track hit now, but won't blow it to smithereens. Need to hit a tank with Hvy AT to the rear / top to blow it to smithereens in 1 shot.

Excellent ! thanks eggman, personally i never bother for a track shot, i tend to go for a high-angle or rear shot where possible, I'm glad this has been solved, as i have been wondering about a couple of instances where i have seen it go boom as you described.

Great work lads, its a LOT of changes in this server side patch, thanks for all the hard work.

Thalin
2007-03-02, 10:51
eggman']
A 10 second timer has been implemented that will now kill a player that stays in a vehicle position with the wrong kit or that is not in the same squad as the player that "owns" the vehicle.

That's made my day :-o

[-=IDSF=-]SykloAG
2007-03-02, 11:40
It was good to see a changelog where ALL the bugs I've experienced are fixed. Really good work - my thanks go out to all the Devs - you guys should give Microsoft and other big software corps classes!

:15_cheers

PhiR
2007-03-02, 11:55
Kampfgruppen ? It's mostly a WW2 term but it means roughly combined arms formation.
(bit of a stretch though, only the plural ends in "n", the singular ends in "e")

Bonsai
2007-03-02, 13:01
Even as native german speaker it`s nearly impossible to guess the K&N thing?
In the german army a lot of things are named "Kampf..." and in generall i guess about 800 words which begin with "K" and end with "N".

$kelet0r
2007-03-02, 13:19
Ich glaube dass den Eggmeister Kernwaffen im Spiel einsetzen beabsichtigt :D
Entschuldigt Ihr bitte meine furchtbare Grammatik :P

DenniZ-NL
2007-03-02, 13:35
Yeah Nukes for the Commanders :D

Rick_the_new_guy
2007-03-02, 14:25
Well done.

I like how the jets need a while to get warmed up. Should prevent Choppers from getting waxed on initial deployment.

Excellent work on getting the Rally Points tweaked.

I know a lot of players will like how they can still cap a flag they have been working on even if a rear flag falls.

___

I am currenlty lobbying to have a Conquest night on the Server once a week, possilbe passworded (less whack-a-mole).

There are a lot of good Assault maps that would work great on Conquest.
I am not knocking AASv2, it is just that conquest would keep these maps fresh, and give players a differnt look and feel for these awsome maps.
I mean, who does not want to assault The Palace with two Seahawks on AL Bas, and start working their way north by northwest. Hehe.

___

Well done PR team.

dawolf
2007-03-02, 15:06
Thanks for the update. I'll give it a try as soon as i can.
As for the K...N thing... we already got "Kletterhaken" (grappling hooks) so my guess would be "Kakerlaken"! Am i right?

Zrix
2007-03-02, 15:15
Great job, it's a nice list of changes.

dawolf
2007-03-02, 15:16
And if its not Kakerlaken, it has to be Zivilisten... wait that doesnt make sense

Gaz
2007-03-02, 15:39
K&N ROFL.

http://www.knfilters.com/

[PTG]Private Smokey
2007-03-02, 16:06
Great News!Thanks guys

Napalm Nation
2007-03-02, 18:49
A great list of changes, thank you so much for your continued hard work and excellent support of this truly amazing mod.

Cheers :smile:

eggman
2007-03-02, 19:04
@ Rick: I believe if your server admin sets "AAS_CONQUEST = 1" ( default is 0 ) in the realityconfig file, then AAS will play just like Vanilla conquest .. supply group ordering will not be enforced (but the flag cap logic and timers will remain as per the PR logic instead of using vanilla conquest).

@ all .. nobody has guessed the k & n thing yet lol. I didn't think it would be so hard :p

-=TB=-liebgott
2007-03-02, 19:05
Whats about Kommunisten?

:D

Russia, yeah SA RODINU!!!!! DAVAIJ!

Bloody
2007-03-02, 19:06
Great work guys. I played yesterday on one of the "open beta" servers and the lag was all but gone!

BTW, we are running an all Xtract map server.

Bloody Company PR Extract
IP: 66.135.47.252:18567

Fat Freddy
2007-03-02, 19:55
Is the german word singular or plural?
Most of the german plural words end with "n" ...

But what about Kampagnen (campaigns)?

eddie
2007-03-02, 20:01
:o my God has the man cracked it?!

-=TB=-liebgott
2007-03-02, 20:06
RUSSIJA!!! :D

OkitaMakoto
2007-03-02, 20:33
wait, russians or campaign?.... i would imagine russians, cuz why would a campaign be added when SP has never been a focus til Maku-san joined up...

Fat Freddy
2007-03-02, 20:42
wait, russians or campaign?....

He said my god, so it must be liebgotts guess.

eddie
2007-03-02, 21:09
no, it was your guess. If it is campaigns then I will personally buy Eggman a Porsche 911.

Fat Freddy
2007-03-02, 21:24
which scale?

1:18? :-D

=HR=Drayu
2007-03-02, 21:59
Not too sure I am thrilled about the vehicle "owning". I think it will add to elitist attitudes on the parts of some players. I think it is also trying to control gameplay too much.

Just my $.02

noir-colombia-
2007-03-02, 22:16
komarken? (german for shrine?,so the hobbits are the new faction?)

Desertfox
2007-03-02, 22:24
What is civilian in german? lol.

noir-colombia-
2007-03-02, 23:42
vokswaggen?

Hfett
2007-03-03, 01:08
I think i know what the K&N thing is

But i will wait for someone to figure that out before me =)

eggman
2007-03-03, 01:27
Campaigns would be cool, but that's not the k & n thing this time around. Still nobody has guessed it lol.

noir-colombia-
2007-03-03, 05:58
is there a traduction for "anti prone spamming" in german that includes k & n?

noir-colombia-
2007-03-03, 05:59
I FIGURED OUT!!!! Kentucky fried chickeN. it has the k & n......oops thats english

Makee
2007-03-03, 07:49
Kriegsmarinen = Navy = ?

para_hjs
2007-03-03, 07:56
GJ DEVS. Much appreciated.

eggman
2007-03-03, 08:53
lol .. not yet :)

Another hint. In Portuguese it begins with a P and ends with an a.

:D

LiL.BoZz
2007-03-03, 09:47
@noir-colombia-: komarken? Never heard that before, but it might be a Southern dialect.

Wait... dialect! --> Bavarian ---> KAMPFSAUFEN = Binge Drinking!!
Combined with the blur effect. AFKs start drinking and die from liver sufferings :)!

Lets refigure: No POWs, no Armored Motorbikes, no Russians, no Nuclears and no chopping head off. So it ain't something fun!

P to A in Portuguese? Paella? Hmm.. no!

Is it a tactical news (Korps-Kommunikation= Squad intern communication), is it weaponry (Krasse Waffen = Sick weapons), vehicles (Kampfwagen).
Which letters in Chinese - oh wait they dont have letters - GIVE US A HINT, NOONE CAN GUESS IT IN FOREIGN LANGUAGES! PLEEEAAAASEEEE! I CAN'T SLEEP TILL I KNOW :(

eggman, c'mon, you know it! Share your wisdom and make the world a better place!

marcoelnk
2007-03-03, 10:32
i know what it is :D :D :D : KackeN !!!!!!!!!!!!! ( to shit )
the soldiers also have to shit sometimes...will look funny HAHA

THE_BIG_ADDY
2007-03-03, 12:18
NOOO !!! ITS KölN !!! xD KölN = City in Germany ( Cologne )

Jonathan_Archer_nx01
2007-03-03, 13:36
* 75% increase in damage done to helicopters from AA cannons (ZPU4, M167)

I think it should be 100%, at least against jets, bcs thay are faster and easier to hit than helicopters. It is still hard to even scratch a good pilot.
On the other hand SA-7 and Stinger shouldn't be stronger. In 0.506 I saw 2 insurgetns with SA-7 working together and they dominated USMC airforce. AA missiles should only have stronger lock (like they have in POE) which prevents missile from bugy missing the jet it is tracking. They should never miss unless flares are used. Improve their lock, that is important.

Added 10s timer that will kill a player that stays in a vehicle position with the wrong kit, or not on the same squad as the player that "owns" the vehicle

Great Idea!!! But I would also appreciate if these fags weren't allowed to enter even the vehicle's important positions.

Epim3theus
2007-03-03, 14:01
eggman'] A 10 second timer has been implemented that will now kill a player that stays in a vehicle position with the wrong kit or that is not in the same squad as the player that "owns" the vehicle.
]

So i m guessing it is now a bad idea to spawn in an APC, especially when it (begins) to move. Then its a deathtrap.

lysander_atrull
2007-03-03, 14:25
K-N ..

Kubelwagen ? :) http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=kubelwagen&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Hfett
2007-03-03, 14:42
K-N ..

Kubelwagen ? :) http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=kubelwagen&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi
Nope

Now with the new hint i am 100% sure of what it is :p

Top_Cat_AxJnAt
2007-03-03, 14:51
Hfett']

Is it something we should get our hopes up about or just consider no more of a change that, err something faily minor?

Clypp
2007-03-03, 15:32
Hfett']Nope

Well? Don't be an ass about it. Either answer the contest or don't mention it.

Fat Freddy
2007-03-03, 15:40
[german] KanoneN
[portuguese] PistolA(s)
[english] pistols

mmhhh, not really?!

LiL.BoZz
2007-03-03, 15:47
Now with the new hint i am 100% sure of what it is

Yeah me too, but I won't tell because we should make guesses and this is a forum where you exchange ideas. I don't want to RUIN THE FUN! :cussing:

Ok. I already figured out it has nothing to do with "Kampfmittelräumungen/-entschärfungen" which would be Bomb Defuse.
I wouldn't want to see that in PR anyway.

But I'd like to get a more practical hint than "The word exists in other languages" ! I have no idea weather you got it translated correctly into German anyway, so I will just stop guessing until you tell or PR v0.6 is released!

Schluss Ende Aus, as we say in Germany!

Ghostrider
2007-03-03, 16:29
So i m guessing it is now a bad idea to spawn in an APC, especially when it (begins) to move. Then its a deathtrap.

This would only apply if you're occupying the driver or gunner's seat. If you spawn in an APC just get out of the position that requires a vehicle kit. You can still ride in the back of the APC (or other transport vehicles) without problems.

-Ghost

KatanaGFR
2007-03-03, 17:17
Any chance on the first and last letter in Dutch Eggman? I even might get a clue then... Already got a headache from coming up with german words....

THE_BIG_ADDY
2007-03-03, 17:37
Kugelsichere westeN
-KampfschweiN.
-KampfmaschieneN
-KampfaffeN
lol

[PTG]Z.user
2007-03-03, 18:24
It better be bloody good after all this!

THE_BIG_ADDY
2007-03-03, 18:26
is the first part Kampf....N ??

*420*acedl
2007-03-03, 19:02
i cant believe there isnt one fulent german speaker here come on ! if so he skipped school or the tearm isnt used in the language anymore

eggman
2007-03-03, 19:44
Z.user']It better be bloody good after all this!

lol.

I thought somebody would guess it within a few posts .. :p

A bit over hyped now lol.

OkitaMakoto
2007-03-03, 20:13
KriegZombieGewehr/schutzeMitMK?

bigmoose332
2007-03-03, 20:31
are we allowed to spread underground rumours about what the secret thing is?

Liquid_Cow
2007-03-03, 20:49
How do you say BFG2000 in German?

[AUT]_HawK
2007-03-03, 21:09
I think i finally got it....checked it with portuguese (and my first language is german)

in german is it 2 words?? 2nd one in plural?
(In English are the first/last letters B&S if plural and also 2 words???)
well, might be only a good (edit: "quite bad" after reconsideration) guess after all :)

NO I'm not gonna say what i mean

eggman
2007-03-03, 21:23
hehe I don't know enough German to comment :p

And in english the literal translation from german would be 2 words, first one begins with an F, second one begins with an S .. but it's more commonly referred to as just the word beginning with S.

Here's another hint lol .. they can be bought for less than 10 Euros.

[AUT]_HawK
2007-03-03, 21:28
god damnit! My guess was WRONG after all... 10 euros wouldn't be enough to buy what i meant.

OMG i'll never guess it!!!!! :( :(

[AUT]_HawK
2007-03-03, 21:36
so...just to sum things up

German: K.........n (might be more than 1 word, is not really clear)
English: F.... S..... or just S......
Portuguese: P......a (less dots, hint from Hfett)
less than 10 € to buy it

EDIT2:Hfett']1 hint: Less dots

EDIT1:
OH CMON EGG! ok ignore eggs last post ("...they can be bought..") since it's a singular item

eggman
2007-03-03, 21:41
er .. reading to much into the "they" .. should be a singular item .. "it"

I'm sorta having fun with this now lol.

LiquidSnake
2007-03-03, 21:50
is it kfastropingn? :mrgreen:

eggman
2007-03-03, 21:51
is it kfastropingn? :mrgreen:

lol

eddie
2007-03-03, 22:00
Airplane flaps! Some countries will sell them for less than 10 euros....

AMT
2007-03-03, 23:04
Flash Smoke grenade?
Free speech?
Falling soldier?
Frag shield?
Fallout shelter?

Hint please!

- Andrew

LiquidSnake
2007-03-03, 23:09
i think the first part is definitely kampf/fight/pugna :-/

$kelet0r
2007-03-03, 23:24
Flash Smoke grenade?
Free speech?
Falling soldier?
Frag shield?
Fallout shelter?

Hint please!

- AndrewROFL :p

301_HysterX
2007-03-04, 00:01
Maybe new stuffs with the blow up effects...

[3rd]Sonders
2007-03-04, 00:27
FIRE SUPPORT?
FLIGHT SURGEON?
FREEFLYING SATELLITE?
FIRE STORM?

please just tell us!!!

Hfett
2007-03-04, 04:13
_HawK']
Portuguese: P......a [SIZE="1"]

1 hint: Less dots

Liquid_Cow
2007-03-04, 04:56
Well, I don't know what the surprise is yet, but I gotta tell you I'm not too happy after a day of .509

Seems to me the new tactic is "find and destroy all the rally points and you win". The team that figures that out first just dominates. The no RP's within 75m of a flag prevents the defending team from replacing their lost RP's. One map I played the Brit team just ran past the cappable flags into the back field, destroyed the RP's, then came back and worked on the ones we were actively defending. Once those were lost we had no place to spawn, game lasted all of 10 minutes I think.

And on Basrah, are the insurgents no longer allowed to cap the VCP's? We got stuck at Facility and just camped it. Once in a while the US neut'd it but were unable to cap it. Also, I couldn't find any supplies hidden in the buildings (not sure if these were some sort of server side settings). We got board and ended up camping the exits of the airfield just outside the dome of death. Between the RPG crews and the IED's we kept the US pretty well bottled up. SA7's scared off the A-10 and they couldn't keep a chopper in the air.

IronTaxi
2007-03-04, 05:43
fresh sardines...definitely under ten euros...

[AUT]_HawK
2007-03-04, 09:39
we need another hint...
last letters in english?
how long are the words?
where can you buy it?

LiL.BoZz
2007-03-04, 09:50
* German: K.........n (might be more than 1 word, is not really clear)
* English: F.... S..... or just S......
* Portuguese: P......a (less dots, hint from Hfett)
* less than 10 € to buy it

I might have a clue, might be wishful thinking though:

German Kommando-Lampen made up, pluralized word
English Flashlight, dunno how it could continue in English...Spot?
Portuguese Oehm..., ? Pugna laterna?!

Its definitly below 10 €, under the Spec Ops sidearm there is a Flash already, Nightmaps!! :p I got it, tell me I got it

DenniZ-NL
2007-03-04, 10:21
NIghtmaps! That would be soooo cool!

THE_BIG_ADDY
2007-03-04, 10:31
there were nightmaps on 0.4!

eggman
2007-03-04, 10:55
Keep guessing lol.

G.Drew
2007-03-04, 11:20
red laser marking, coupled with the red-dot scope on the Spec ops weapons

wild guess, apache helo
wait, its an insane new element, capture and hold? capture the flag? assault lines?

i know the K could be Kampf, as in 'Struggle'

[AUT]_HawK
2007-03-04, 11:31
we need more hints!

LiquidSnake
2007-03-04, 11:31
Ever seen an Apache for 10Euros? :mrgreen:

LiL.BoZz
2007-03-04, 11:37
Ok guys, the element we are talking 'bout is 1. insane and 2. new!

It could be weapons or a new faction, allthough this has been denied in other threads multiple times.
It could be a strategic news, e.g. commander assets/orders, Squadleader orders or even kind of flexible Maps. (These couldn't be bought)
It could be new vehicles but that wouldn't be very insane... unless you put the Batmobile in *hr hr*

I demand a hint in a more practical direction, what purpose does the new element serve? If we keep guessing words it starts to become boring!
The price was a good start, give us directions please!

LiL.BoZz
2007-03-04, 11:41
@ THE_BIG_ADDY

there were nightmaps on 0.4!

Thats why I came up with the Flash, the nightvision wasn't really giving the kick!
Floodlight, Headlights, Flashlights, Artillery- or Jetfired Flares illuminating the Sky..WHOAAH!

@ G.Drew

its an insane new element, capture and hold? capture the flag?

:duh: Are you kidding me? I hope you are joking!

THE_BIG_ADDY
2007-03-04, 12:15
! Its KampfschwimmeN
FightSwimming
xD
u can swimm whit a knife in ur hands ... lol

[AUT]_HawK
2007-03-04, 14:33
! Its KampfschwimmeN
FightSwimming
xD
u can swimm whit a knife in ur hands ... lol

how could something like swimming be bought in a shop?
(under 10€ remember?)

Liquid_Cow
2007-03-04, 16:09
_HawK']how could something like swimming be bought in a shop?
(under 10€ remember?)
Swim trunks?

[AUT]_HawK
2007-03-04, 17:30
Swim trunks?

LOL yeah that's plausible

marcoelnk
2007-03-04, 18:45
kampflinien ?

must be kampf/fight/pugna

marcoelnk
2007-03-04, 18:46
kuglestoßen

Rusty1986
2007-03-04, 19:15
Ghostrider']This would only apply if you're occupying the driver or gunner's seat. If you spawn in an APC just get out of the position that requires a vehicle kit. You can still ride in the back of the APC (or other transport vehicles) without problems.

-Ghost

Hang on... I'm not 100% clear on this. Scenario: You are a grenadier and you spawn into an APC. Unfortunately, the gunner position is the last spot left as all the other soldiers who have spawned in on it have moved into the back to avoid dying after 10secs. You didn't know this as there is no indication from the spawn map. You also discover the driver is in a full squad so you can't even join to tell him over VOIP to stop to let you out. The APC is hurtling over the desert sand dunes as you spawn into it. What are you going to do? Jump out in the middle of the desert and literally break your leg, severing an artery? You survive for a little while, but there's no medics around and your standard issue first aid kit aint gonna help much, so you die.
OR, are you gonna wait in the APC turret as the rear is full and let the 10sec timer count down to your death and have to wait to respawn again...
The other choice is to type frantically and in vein at the driver to stop.

Small chance of this happening I know, but it will happen. Am I right in thinking in this scenario you are literally buggered?

Rusty

301_HysterX
2007-03-04, 19:58
It happened... It was funny for us, but the driver saw it and stopped his APC, some guys jumped out of the vehicule and the problem was resolved :)

Fishw0rk
2007-03-04, 20:10
Hang on... I'm not 100% clear on this. Scenario: You are a grenadier and you spawn into an APC. Unfortunately, the gunner position is the last spot left as all the other soldiers who have spawned in on it have moved into the back to avoid dying after 10secs. You didn't know this as there is no indication from the spawn map. You also discover the driver is in a full squad so you can't even join to tell him over VOIP to stop to let you out. The APC is hurtling over the desert sand dunes as you spawn into it. What are you going to do? Jump out in the middle of the desert and literally break your leg, severing an artery? You survive for a little while, but there's no medics around and your standard issue first aid kit aint gonna help much, so you die.
OR, are you gonna wait in the APC turret as the rear is full and let the 10sec timer count down to your death and have to wait to respawn again...
The other choice is to type frantically and in vein at the driver to stop.

Small chance of this happening I know, but it will happen. Am I right in thinking in this scenario you are literally buggered?

Rusty

Yeah you're buggered. :)

The devs will evetually have to think up a work-around for it, but its gonna be like this in the mean time. The only quick work-arounds I can think of are:

1) Combine the gunner + driver for APCs (like they are in vanilla), although this would be a step backwards.

Or

2) Remove the crewman requirments for APC gunners.

Dunno if the devs really wanna go with those solutions or think of something new entirely. Honestly, I *rarely* see the scenario you described, but it could happen once in a blue moon.

outlive
2007-03-04, 20:30
why not remove the gunner seat from the spawn points in an apc and only allow crewman kit owners ONLY to get into the gunner seat altogether

it sounds to easy - you devs probably thought of that solution the first time...is it possible to code or not?

eggman
2007-03-04, 20:33
For that rare situation our answer would be "wtf are you doing 'half crewing' the most powerful vehicle in the game?"

As for the new thing .. it's been a part of wars and battles since the first wars and battles ever occurred on the planet. It's really overhyped now lol, I was thinking we'd spend more time playing games around how it was going to be used :p

noir-colombia-
2007-03-04, 20:44
MMMM, DEATH RAYS? SOMEONE IN ANCIENT GREECE USED ONE.......I GOT IT , ROCKS AND STICKS

Clypp
2007-03-04, 21:01
Rocks = Felsen in German. But would you buy them in a store?

eggman
2007-03-04, 21:32
Rocks = Felsen in German. But would you buy them in a store?

don't start with K.

;)

Clypp
2007-03-04, 21:50

I'm sure "battle rocks" does though.

$kelet0r
2007-03-04, 22:21
is it a shovel? are we getting foxholes?

shovel = pa (portugese) = klappspaten (german)

eddie
2007-03-04, 22:24
Would it be kombaten? As in.......combat. I think.

eggman
2007-03-04, 22:29
shovel = pa (portugese) = klappspaten (german)

bingo ;)

eddie
2007-03-04, 22:33
Oh ffs Eggman! I was enjoying this game.

OkitaMakoto
2007-03-04, 23:18
shovels?
how do they work? could you fill us in with that in compensation for like, 3/4 days of guessing?
setting up forward command posts?
or just for beating (ie. day of defeat: source)

eggman
2007-03-04, 23:26
hopefully both and some other stuff too.

Zrix
2007-03-04, 23:35
omgz, placeable bunkers!

not? :[

dbzao
2007-03-05, 00:52
;)

1GeKKo3
2007-03-05, 01:22
After seeing this post for the first time last night I couldn't stop thinking about what it could be, a quick search during work this morning on a survival gear website and I found the Folding Spade. Portegese = pa and german is spaten but used in war has Kriegspaten and the cost on the website was about 10 Euros. I had to register to this forum to post my findings to see someone has beat me while I was asleep. :sad: Fox holes will be cool. :-P

$kelet0r
2007-03-05, 05:19
what do I win? :)

I'm not exactly thrilled about the idea though if it is going to be used for construction purposes. How do you realistically compensate for tasks that irl take hours if not days without machinery?

eggman
2007-03-05, 05:22

I'm not exactly thrilled about the idea though if it is going to be used for construction purposes. How do you realistically compensate for tasks that irl take hours if not days without machinery?

You win a date with Rhino. Just need to get yourself to London and bring him a dress to wear.

You compensate for some of what we are planning the same way you compensate for the fact that there is respawning ;)

LiL.BoZz
2007-03-05, 07:28
@eggman: Just build in an 1 1/2 hours of delay and it will be fine :)

I think shovels are great, wanted to post that myself but the time zones were against me... :)

They will shift the strategic defense on every map making it more flexible and interesting!! Can you beat the hell out of your enemy with such a shovel?

I just hope those holes won't look SHIT!

1GeKKo3
2007-03-05, 07:28
eggman']You win a date with Rhino. Just need to get yourself to London and bring him a dress to wear.

I'm glad I didn't win :wink:

DenniZ-NL
2007-03-05, 07:35

Hmmm good question. Wouldn't be really PR like if you could dig a hole or bunker or something in a couple of minutes.

Rhino
2007-03-05, 07:38
eggman']You win a date with Rhino. Just need to get yourself to London and bring him a dress to wear.

maa, why you always pick on me with the gay dev jokes :p

outlive
2007-03-05, 08:22
you seem like an easy target :)

eddie
2007-03-05, 14:36
Rhino']maa, why you always pick on me with the gay dev jokes :p

Well hitting on him doesn't make the situation any easier for him.

$kelet0r
2007-03-05, 15:36
with the shovel can you simply make a pseudo fox hole? a raised parapet of soil with a firing hole - that would would be a perfect implementation of the shovel. But repairing or building entire machine constructed structures like bridges, walls, bunkers and buildings in seconds by hand defeats the point and effort of destroying them in the first place.

OkitaMakoto
2007-03-05, 16:02
Rhino']maa, why you always pick on me with the gay dev jokes :p

cant get much more phallic than a rhino...'s horn....?
damn, sounded good in my head... that has nothing to do with being gay....shit. :oops:

ghoststrykr
2007-03-05, 16:47
well lets not forget that in PR you can have a bridge that has been blown up by c4 get repaired in less than 20 seconds.. i don't see a ton of complaints about that. so if you can repair a bridge in 20 seconds, i think you should be able to dig a fox hole in the same amount of time. if it takes a minute to dig, im cool with that. theres a lot of defense maps that could really capitalize on the use of fox holes. i think the big question is, will we be able to dig tunnel systems? hahaha, that'd be insane.
-GhostStrykr

eggman
2007-03-05, 17:44
Bridge repairs are going to start to take longer to repair and require more than 1 Engineer to repair them.

And some simple temporary structures that will be related to the shovel will require more than 1 player to be able to build them (you won't be seeing concrete bunkers going up in 20s.. we're not going to be allowing the building of concrete bunkers).

Foxholes and the like have some engine challenges we are going to try and find some creative work arounds for. Nobody wants to play an online FPS where you have to hump sandbags for 3 hours... so we have to take that into account.

General_J0k3r
2007-03-05, 19:00
aiiiight. fancy shit guys. thumbs up! good idea!

but those snipers in foxholes hidden somewhere in the jungle r gonna b a pain in the ass.

eddie
2007-03-05, 19:53
I imagine you'll only be able to dig at a handful of locations and the cover/camouflage won't be too OTT for the game balance.

noir-colombia-
2007-03-05, 20:34
"in pr 2.5 we will be able of changing the cassetes at the radio in teh choppers, u just need 2 pr-dollars to buy one on the wallmart of mutrah city, it was build on an ancient bunker supossed maded by an old engineers class of pr0.6. u can still clean the poo of the pr-pets with the engineers shovels indeed"

eggman jr.

OkitaMakoto
2007-03-05, 20:34
aiiiight. fancy shit guys. thumbs up! good idea!

but those snipers in foxholes hidden somewhere in the jungle r gonna b a pain in the ass.

I'd imagine they are in real life, too :-o

LiquidSnake
2007-03-06, 10:16
"in pr 2.5 we will be able of changing the cassetes at the radio in teh choppers, u just need 2 pr-dollars to buy one on the wallmart of mutrah city, it was build on an ancient bunker supossed maded by an old engineers class of pr0.6. u can still clean the poo of the pr-pets with the engineers shovels indeed"

eggman jr.

lmao :D

rly love the Idea of foxholes :)

Master Shake
2007-03-06, 15:40
Are you going to be able to use the shovel to dig a hole for your landmines so they are not so obvious? I seem to recall a "certain mod" for bf42 making this work and you could just see a little red and blue wire sticking out of the ground?

LiL.BoZz
2007-03-06, 17:58
There ain't any wires on PR Landmines..

But catchword hide: Could you Dev-guys programm holes to hide in.
The foxhole is more like for providing cover or am I wrong?
A hole to ambush people would be nice, dig a hole, put camo over it and wait for tanks to hold beside it or a squad passing it!

eggman
2007-03-06, 18:59
terrain manipulation is very limited in just about every FPS ever created .. so we'll do some experimentation with it and then go from there. Shovels will be used to build some specific transient structures that will have a significant impact on game dynamics.

Master Shake
2007-03-06, 19:16
eggman']terrain manipulation is very limited in just about every FPS ever created .. so we'll do some experimentation with it and then go from there. Shovels will be used to build some specific transient structures that will have a significant impact on game dynamics.

Thanks for the reply I was just asking because you could do it in Reality mod for bf1942 (I know there 2 diffrent engines) and it worked very nice, just curious.

Thanks for the clues and news of things to come.....can't wait for the next release already...

DenniZ-NL
2007-03-07, 09:29
Hmm I'm pretty curious what the BF2 engine can handle with regard to terrain manipulation. Cant be too much me thinks.
Would be cool to build some sort of sandbag bunkers on a mountain side on certain places. Maybe put ammo and healthsupplies there.

LiquidSnake
2007-03-07, 10:26
Actually you can't dig holes in the ground. I think it would be possible to make statics "diggable" in the same way they made buildings destructible. But that would require hell of a lot of lightmapping. And it would be stupid covering th holeground wth one giant static which is diggable xD. So it's easier to let a guy with a shovel build something upon the ground.

DenniZ-NL
2007-03-07, 10:46
Thats sounds very possible.

Therefor I think we will be able to make little machinegun-nests which will provide a certain tactical advantage. Could also be ammo resupply points offourse. Anyway I'm really looking forward to this new feature cause it could really alter gameplay. And the scenario game mode. Man I cant wait :D Go devteam!

THE_BIG_ADDY
2007-03-08, 17:21
can u give us some pic ?? let us see this ``Klappspaten´´

Hfett
2007-03-09, 03:11
http://www.trophyawards.com/images/specialty_img/shovel.jpg

dbzao
2007-03-09, 03:17
oh my... that Klappspaten doesn't cost 10 euros... :p

That one is made of silver :p

outlive
2007-03-09, 06:43
that's not a klappspaten - that's a shovel!

THIS is a klappspaten:
http://www.softair-professional.de/shop/images/Klappspaten.jpg

dbzao
2007-03-09, 06:47
;)

bigmoose332
2007-03-09, 16:21
eggman']terrain manipulation is very limited in just about every FPS ever created .. so we'll do some experimentation with it and then go from there. Shovels will be used to build some specific transient structures that will have a significant impact on game dynamics.

this is coming from someone with no DEV experience but assuming that..

-You can control the amount a weapon of any sort hurts someone (specifically explosions)
-You can create different effects resulting from an explosion.
-You can cause an effect to a 'bridge' through an explosion (which i know you can)

If the landscape was made as one 'giant bridge' structure. Which in a sense, meant you could 'expload' given parts of it.

Could the shovel not be coded so that it 'exploads' the 'bridge' (surface), opening up a space underneath. Obviously the 'explosion' wouldn't hurt anyone and the resulting animation/effect of the 'explosion' would be similar to a hole.

Just a thought kinda thing.

rhino_Aus
2007-03-18, 04:27
HEY!! i got that exact one, lol

Cyber-Couch
2007-03-18, 06:10
this is coming from someone with no DEV experience but assuming that..

-You can control the amount a weapon of any sort hurts someone (specifically explosions)
-You can create different effects resulting from an explosion.
-You can cause an effect to a 'bridge' through an explosion (which i know you can)

If the landscape was made as one 'giant bridge' structure. Which in a sense, meant you could 'expload' given parts of it.

Could the shovel not be coded so that it 'exploads' the 'bridge' (surface), opening up a space underneath. Obviously the 'explosion' wouldn't hurt anyone and the resulting animation/effect of the 'explosion' would be similar to a hole.

Just a thought kinda thing.

I'm not sure how much lag bridges cause, but I would suggest making a plain map first and filling it with bridges for testing the lag.