PDA

View Full Version : Update Project Reality v0.5 Post Launch Update

eggman
2007-02-13, 00:02
First off, we would like to thank everyone for taking the time to download and play Project Reality v0.5. We have set numerous records with this release and are thrilled to see our community growing!

Since the release last Thursday, we have become aware of some issues we need to address. We will NOT be issuing a client side patch for v0.5. We will only be issuing a server side update to address issues within v0.5. This will not fix all of the issues identified and we may not elect to fix some things folks think are issues.

The team will be begin work on v0.6 ASAP. We have scaled back the planned feature set of v0.6 to ensure that we complete the overhaul of the spawning system in a timely manner. There are some "gaps" in the v0.5 design that are addressed with elements in v0.6. More about v0.6 once we get a full head of steam under that.

Here is a brief summary of issues we are addressing in the v0.5x server update:

Server Crashes
We have identified and fixed issues that are likely 90% of the cause of server side crashes. It might even be all of the server crash causes, we're not sure.. but there are some obvious ones that we have fixed.

Lag Issues
The current lag players are expereinceing is due to excessive strain we put on servers. We're optomising aspects of the server side code to eliminate this lag. The lag is not typical view distance or object count map oriented lag. It's lag caused by python code we run on the server to check certain parameters and states and some of this needs optomisation.

Flag Cap Timers
When we re-designed the v0.4 flag capture logic it was partially to avoid the horrible dynamic of defenders spawning in on the attackers. So we made CPs go grey really quickly in v0.5. With forward spawns removed from CPs, this "spawn in to be camped" dynamic becomes a moot point.
When you combine the "fast grey" with CP Groups in AAS v2, this can make for a lot of chasing down grey flags. We don't want the game to play like this. We will be altering the flag capture timers to better suit our design goals: taking CPs should be about a jolly good fire fight (and not about sneaking in undetected or about camping flags until you capture it).

CP Groups
Our use of the new "CP Groups" capability in AAS v2 CP was a bit excessive. This will be scaled back and CP groups will be used more situationally and deliberately.

Officer Kit Timer Restriction
There will be no timer restriction for the Officer kit. You will be able to obtain one anytime you spawn without any delay as long as you are the Squad Leader of a squad of 4+.

Set Rally Point Delays
We will be reducing the timer to set rally points from 3 minutes to 1 minute.

Minor Map Tweaks
We have some limits on what we can do with a server only update, but some minor tweaking will be done to maps to address some game play and balance issues (over and above the CP groups issues).

-The Project Reality Team

Clypp
2007-02-13, 00:07
Yes! My suggestions to remove officer restrictions are being done. This is excellent news!

Crotch-Rot
2007-02-13, 00:12
Sounds like you guys are on top of the situation!

Wasteland
2007-02-13, 00:12
Awe. Some.

Thanks Eggman. You guys are great.

OAKside
2007-02-13, 00:25
Damn those are some great fixes. You guys are listening! Thank you.
My issues were lag and rally points (close quarter spacing)/kits.

Rico11b
2007-02-13, 01:06
Thank you guys for listening to the community on these and other issues. Also thank you for your willingness to address these things quickly. It is really appreciated!

I haven't had a lot of time to play since PR 0.5 came out, but the 3 or 4 hours I have played it have been all good. Except for little stuff like you mentioned earlier. Great job fellas!!!

Later
R

OkitaMakoto
2007-02-13, 01:11
Will the inability to request kits at flags be fixed... (this might only be a SinglePlayer bug, i dont know)
At the main points, it says you should be able to, but you cannot. And since some small size levels do not have an APC, you are crap outta luck and cannot request anything anywhere!!! Aghh!!! me want M14...
Just asking!
Okita

p.s. the new voices and such is amazing. did you guys change the physics of bodies? they seem to fall heavier than they used to... it looks more realistic... but maybe thats me looking too far into the mod!! ha!

*edit* as of now, i guess im not waiting too bad for it, i just set it to allow me to request from HMMV's in the coding... dont worry, i dont play online...

one little question, what spawns on small maps for the enemies of USMC? i added the code for the hummvees, but what should I add for the other teams? like I said, small maps dont have APCs, so i wanted smaller vehicles equivalent to the HMMV to provide kit requests.
PM me or something, thanks! Vodniks?

Fishw0rk
2007-02-13, 02:56
Will the inability to request kits at flags be fixed... (this might only be a SinglePlayer bug, i dont know)
At the main points, it says you should be able to, but you cannot. And since some small size levels do not have an APC, you are crap outta luck and cannot request anything anywhere!!! Aghh!!! me want M14...
Just asking!
Okita

p.s. the new voices and such is amazing. did you guys change the physics of bodies? they seem to fall heavier than they used to... it looks more realistic... but maybe thats me looking too far into the mod!! ha!

*edit* as of now, i guess im not waiting too bad for it, i just set it to allow me to request from HMMV's in the coding... dont worry, i dont play online...

one little question, what spawns on small maps for the enemies of USMC? i added the code for the hummvees, but what should I add for the other teams? like I said, small maps dont have APCs, so i wanted smaller vehicles equivalent to the HMMV to provide kit requests.
PM me or something, thanks! Vodniks?

Yeah thats a single player bug with not getting requests at the main base. You can, however, ask for s upply drop while your a squad leader and the supply box allows you to request kits.

StrkTm MurderCityDevil
2007-02-13, 03:32
Thank you Eggman and the entire PR team...you guys rock for how closely you listen to the community!

OkitaMakoto
2007-02-13, 05:51
Yeah thats a single player bug with not getting requests at the main base. You can, however, ask for s upply drop while your a squad leader and the supply box allows you to request kits.

K, thanks.
I just editted it to where tanks and apcs can spawn kits out to 1000 meters (virtually anywhere on the map)... since i only play singleplayer... *sigh*
at least itll work till Mac fixes it!!

[PR]AC3421
2007-02-13, 05:58
Nice to hear. V.5 will be "that" much better. Awsome.

I tottaly agree with the "Chasing nuetral flags" change. It felt really vanilla at times the way it is now on large maps with CP groups.

Napalm Nation
2007-02-13, 06:12
I've noticed that when I play as Insurgents I am no longer able to use the T-55 Tank or the BRDM which are stationed at the palace on the Al Basrah map, is this a bug or is it intentional? or do I need to select a specific class in order to use them?

eggman
2007-02-13, 06:13
mechanic to use the T62 or BRDM.

Napalm Nation
2007-02-13, 06:25
eggman']mechanic to use the T62 or BRDM.

Thanks for such a prompt reply, that was driving me mad earlier, lol! I'm loving v0.5 by the way, it's a massive improvement. Best of luck to you and keep up the great work.

Cheers :-D

Cheeseman
2007-02-13, 06:44
WOW, you Devs really care about your community:) . You guys come up with better and faster updates than the origional Battlefield 2 every did.

Rhino
2007-02-13, 07:06
WOW, you Devs really care about your community:) . You guys come up with better and faster updates than the origional Battlefield 2 every did.

we only do this for ourselfs and the community, Game Companies do it for money :p

eggman
2007-02-13, 07:08
I do it to hang out with Rhino.

Rhino
2007-02-13, 07:40
eggman']I do it to hang out with Rhino.

LOL! :p

Gaz
2007-02-13, 07:59
and Rhino does it to hang out with children....

j/k, j/k, j/k!

drygar
2007-02-13, 08:26
Thanxs Eggman and DEV team!! ... Great job and support, that serverside fix will resolve much 8)

Dennis_k
2007-02-13, 08:45
Thanks Devs!

Wiking74
2007-02-13, 11:47
Hi.

Must begin with two tumbs up and some toes for the mod have played it from mini mod to full grown hell raising war sim :)

So a big thank you for getting my ass away from vanilla and into some rocky road!

And now to some questions about bugs or perhaps just a feature that i dont know about:

Rpg misses by like 5 meters or more to the right is it suppose to do that?
Or is it beacause i need to sit still for a sec or two?

Same thing with Grenade launcher?
It missed be several meters in 0.4 and still does it in 0.5 well anoying.

Looking forward to the Server update and further client updates :)

And i hope this is the right forum thread to take this up in or my deepest apologizes.

Regards
Wiking

Zrix
2007-02-13, 12:06
Looks good, excellent response to the problems.

wooly-back-jack
2007-02-13, 12:28
that has really cheered me up with the officer kit :D
also I agree about flags going grey too quick, its almost like BFV never mind vBF2 lol
I would like flag bleed to encourage people to get off their arses and do something though, it doesnt have to be too fast just enough for the team with most flags to have the right to defend, not the team with least flags to just carry on camping and still win.

ErusF
2007-02-13, 12:45
Hi.

Must begin with two tumbs up and some toes for the mod have played it from mini mod to full grown hell raising war sim :)

So a big thank you for getting my ass away from vanilla and into some rocky road!

And now to some questions about bugs or perhaps just a feature that i dont know about:

Rpg misses by like 5 meters or more to the right is it suppose to do that?
Or is it beacause i need to sit still for a sec or two?

Same thing with Grenade launcher?
It missed be several meters in 0.4 and still does it in 0.5 well anoying.

Looking forward to the Server update and further client updates :)

And i hope this is the right forum thread to take this up in or my deepest apologizes.

Regards
Wiking

With the GL you have to wait a little to shoot or it will go crazy off. It must be th same with the RPG. Stand still for a few seconds the shoot. See if it works for you.

301_HysterX
2007-02-13, 13:18
Thank you very much guys, you really rock!

(i love your news egg :P)

OkitaMakoto
2007-02-13, 13:25
hey a/s/l?
kidding... dont sick rhino on me...
kidding?

how big you reckon the server file patch will be?

TILT999
2007-02-13, 13:36
Tausendmal Dankeschön Jungs..I am so glad I have found a new addiction..I cant wait to get on those beautiful maps...and been fragged like ubernoob..PERFECT...but here it is what is missing anywhere else in the bf2-universe...there is no place for icecream during the battle...hooray...

scratch
2007-02-13, 14:06
I'm curious, what's the thinking behind reducing the time needed to set another rally point?

Do you guys also address the issue where you can't request a kit after the teams have been switched at round end? (reset the timer for a new kit request)

dizzy
2007-02-13, 15:08
Do you guys also address the issue where you can't request a kit after the teams have been switched at round end? (reset the timer for a new kit request)I wasn't aware this was an issue. All timers are reset at the beginning of every round and new map.

OkitaMakoto
2007-02-13, 15:23
but here it is what is missing anywhere else in the bf2-universe...there is no place for icecream during the battle...hooray...

http://www.robandelliot.cycomics.com/webcomics/2004/comic104.jpg
http://www.robandelliot.cycomics.com/archive.php?id=134

whichever works... just had to post it... i hope that doesnt break any link posting rule etc.

R&E rules just about as much as Project Reality.

scratch
2007-02-13, 15:57
[PIT]dizzy']I wasn't aware this was an issue. All timers are reset at the beginning of every round and new map.

Oh but it is. If you request a kit near round end, then the round ends and teams switch, you can't request a new kit as the timer doesn't reset.

And i'd still like to see an answer to why the "set rally point" time delay has been reduced. Personally i think 1 minute is a bit excessive, but it's possible that i've overlooked an issue here, of course.

xiso
2007-02-13, 16:01
Yeah thx to everyone !!
Some of the biggest points why i get disappoint from 0.5 .. but with that fixes .. great :)

dragonfire541
2007-02-13, 16:07
Hey awsome, we really need those fixes, U-S-C Project Reality dedicated Server is still crashing all over the place. I am anxious to get a fix in there as soon as possible.

also, we have noticed several times somebody who got into a chopper with or without a pilot kit couldn't get out again! this has happened 3 times that i know of in the last few days. chopper sitting on ground, they could not get out of the chopper!

any ideas?

if you would liek to test these fixes when they are ready, I will gladly beta them for you :)

Bonsai
2007-02-13, 16:13
I agree...no need to increase the time for Rally Points to 1 minute.
If you have to wait 3 minutes you automaticly will look for a really good and covered place so it will be save for at least three minutes to spawn there.

OkitaMakoto
2007-02-13, 17:12
I have noticed helicopters still having a full rotor sound when they are empty and on the ground. This is in SP though... dont know if its happened online... (AI is still kinda dumb, which might be causing this... they jump out and smack into the ground, without a chute. But, the chopper just floats on down, no rotors, and then you still hear the engine and whir or rotors as it sits there...) No biggy at all though, and like I said, might only be in singleplayer...

dizzy
2007-02-13, 17:54
Oh but it is. If you request a kit near round end, then the round ends and teams switch, you can't request a new kit as the timer doesn't reset.I will look into this myself while testing some new code for rally points and kits

And i'd still like to see an answer to why the "set rally point" time delay has been reduced. Personally i think 1 minute is a bit excessive, but it's possible that i've overlooked an issue here, of course.This is a server side setting, so we are just talking about the default. If its excessive for some server admins they can increase this number easily.

para_hjs
2007-02-13, 17:58
Thx DEVS for patching the bugs. Great work with the mod.

Much appreciated.

kocy
2007-02-13, 22:04
yeah i can confirm this soundbug in helicopter... (in multiplayer)

but at first thanx for the great support and i hope the server fix will fix the lags...

At last i can just say great mod but...

could you do a fading over effect or something like that for the iron sight?

cause its kind of ugly when you see that youre gun is gettin pulled down and there is popping in a 2d window... (especcialy on china weapons its visible...)

not that big problem but still a simple thing to fix wich would do much more effeckt on the realism!
(i think its a client issue....)

Sandy_Beret
2007-02-13, 22:55
there may be a sound bug in river qwai - the government office ended up sounding like a tuberculosis hospital because of a hell of a lot of coughing from dead people who were long gone... last night...

the changes will be great

some of the gameplay and games I have had have been excellent

thanks to the team
;)

{9thInf}GunnyMeyer
2007-02-14, 00:25
I think the 100 meters from enemy CPs for the rally points is a bit excessive. It makes it impossible to place them in urban maps on some cases. I mean, if you have wave after wave of enemies coming at you, that would mean that they are spawning from a beacon. There is no need to put in the 100, maybe 50 on urban maps. Just causes problems...

fuzzhead
2007-02-14, 07:40
Sandy_Beret: Those are wounded soldiers on the battlefield. If you want to get rid of them, you have to use high explosives. Any explosives will do (grenades, C4, AT, etc).

There is only way way to get rid of these men and that is with big fireballs.

I think of it as burning the bodies after a massive battle, to prevent diesease and insects and crows.

scratch
2007-02-14, 11:58
I think the 100 meters from enemy CPs for the rally points is a bit excessive. It makes it impossible to place them in urban maps on some cases. I mean, if you have wave after wave of enemies coming at you, that would mean that they are spawning from a beacon. There is no need to put in the 100, maybe 50 on urban maps. Just causes problems...

I agree. Especially on urban maps this already is a problem, with 100 meters you'd end up placing the rally point at "melting points" as there is less room to place 'em - the enemy has easy play finding them then.

On the other hand, i can imagine that 100 meters works better on bigger maps. But the difference of 25 meters is almost negligible, so i'm not sure if this will be for the better, especially, as already mentioned, on urban / small maps.

wooly-back-jack
2007-02-14, 12:05
aye its like on Muttrah, prime example of plant it in the sand dunes or glitch it in the promenade wall

PBRMAN
2007-02-14, 12:22
Is the Server side patch coming soon??? Really need it bad. Is there a temporary fix we can do to keep the server from crashing less frequently?
Is it map specific? Amount of player specific?

fuzzhead
2007-02-14, 12:47
Try running:

Al Basrah
Qwai River
Jabal
EJOD Desert

I know all those maps dont lag out alot, and are great fun to play.

bosco_
2007-02-14, 13:45
Did you fix the flag bug? (Sometimes both teams can't capture any flags, only a server restart helps)

Ronin Storm
2007-02-14, 14:55
I'd completely given up with BF2 before finding this mod. I love it! Thank you PR team! :) And these fixes will really help. I'll play anyway but a smoother game is going to be appreciated.

vizgrif
2007-02-14, 16:43
Hi everyone!

We all agree that this mod is the best.

I am willing to put some $ on your account (DEVs) as donation for developing this amazing MOD.

Plese, publish you account number.

All of you who share my toughts should do the same because they earned it.

CU
vizgrif

|:XAS:| Bravo
2007-02-14, 19:14
Hi everyone!

I am willing to put some $ on your account (DEVs) as donation for developing this amazing MOD.

CU
vizgrif

Publish our account number? What the hell?

Ghost blackhawk bug is really creeping me out because I keep thinking there's a squad of USMC at North VCP (Al Bashrah map) when playing as Insurgents.

Cravixon
2007-02-14, 21:47
Hi everyone!

CU
vizgrif

OMG OMG SPAM BOT

duckhunt
2007-02-14, 22:45
Hi everyone!

CU
vizgrif

lmao

Decafe
2007-02-15, 05:26
First up, great job to the team,

I think 1 mins for rp setting might end up a bit fast?, but the instant officer kit request is the goods. Also I was wondering if we'll get to the stage of getting smaller patches or just full down loads each update?

Other than the crashes its been so awesome that I've given up Vanilla all together.

Thanks again:-D

Sandy_Beret
2007-02-19, 00:24
Nice to see your on a vanilla-free diet Decafe... I have been since PR 0.3
:-)

[UKE]Vern
2007-02-20, 04:41
As always a big thanks to the development team for adressing the issues of this great mod......erm just hurry up lol

onedollar
2007-02-20, 10:51
hmm the fix seems harder to produce than expected.
thx for your great mod, really cant wait for that fix that we can enjoy PR at 100% ;)

Spliffmonkey
2007-02-20, 11:16
"As always a big thanks to the development team for adressing the issues of this great mod"

"thx for your great mod, really cant wait for that fix that we can enjoy PR at 100%"

I would echo those sentiments entirely and cheekily ask if there is any news on when the update might be applied (if not already)?

Thanks all :)

2007-02-20, 17:38
Completely off-topic but it's really starting to bug me. What's the song in the trailer?

Bloody
2007-02-20, 18:44
Any word on the server side patch?

eggman
2007-02-20, 18:58
Any word on the server side patch?

I went snowboarding over ther weekend hehe, so there's a lil bit o' work left that I am doing today. will be releasing it to test later today just to make sure nothing fubar. all of the "complicated" changes have already been done and tested, just a few map tweaks we still need to test.

should still be out this week, tho looking like Thursday.

Bloody
2007-02-20, 19:00
Great. Thanks Eggman.

P.S. Good playing with you on our server the other day.

OkitaMakoto
2007-02-20, 20:34
Completely off-topic but it's really starting to bug me. What's the song in the trailer?

Dangerous Business Since 1979, by i forget who. it was originally a song by.. underoath? and some other band, mixed together by this... other band... actually, this was covered in the post in which the video can be found... it might take some sifting, but its there.... tons of pages though i think... but yeah.
Peace(but not in PR),
Okita

Rico11b
2007-02-21, 00:41
eggman']I went snowboarding over ther weekend hehe, so there's a lil bit o' work left that I am doing today. will be releasing it to test later today just to make sure nothing fubar. all of the "complicated" changes have already been done and tested, just a few map tweaks we still need to test.

should still be out this week, tho looking like Thursday.

Hi eggman,

Where you able to get this out for testing this evening? Are things progressing nicely. Not pushing, I'm just curious as I'm sure alot of guys are:)

Later
R

luizinhuu
2007-02-21, 03:23
egg, you're not supposed to get a life goddamit

Soulis6
2007-02-21, 11:05
Just wanted to say thanks for the best mod for any game i've ever played. Seriously.
I hadn't touched BF2 in over a year. Ever since .5 came out i've been playing PR almost 4 hours a day at least. The only other military game that even comes close to a sembalance of realism was opertation flashpoint, and honestly im finding PR to be more fun simply because im a huge fan of online and teamwork (online wasnt OpFp's strong point).

I dont really have any suggestions balance or gameplay wise, other then the aformentioned changes that are already underway, so keep up the damn good work!

{DC}Dawarriah
2007-02-21, 20:36
Hi guys same to me as the 1 befor didnt play BF2 for over a year but realy liking this mod as it comes along.

I like muthra city a lot but...... (always the but) maybe you guys can deploy 1 or 2 apc in the game for the us so they can cap the first flag.
its a bit unballanced right now when opposition has the flag no way the US can cap it back.
it already was a good idea te get rid of the spawn points but i think the us needs a bigger weapon te get trhough.

hoping the patching comes along real nice for ya

and keep up the good work you guys put into it....

tg-root
2007-02-21, 21:22
egg, you're not supposed to get a life goddamit

I'm surprised he didn't make us pay for the snowboarding seeing as he gave us PR. :-)

Bloody
2007-02-23, 14:40
Release today? I hope so.

Dazza1993
2007-02-24, 11:45
yes yes yes yes!!!!

Dazza1993
2007-02-24, 11:46
yes yes yes yes!!!!

*420*acedl
2007-02-24, 19:35
today oh mi oh my ?? really

we cant wait for the patch, did they fix helamand ???/ pretty plz say yes

lol im excited can ya tell.

Fishw0rk
2007-02-25, 01:15
Errr its not coming out today. :)

Yes Helmand has been fixed though. I'm very happy about that also.

2007-02-25, 20:36
Dangerous Business Since 1979, by i forget who. it was originally a song by.. underoath? and some other band, mixed together by this... other band... actually, this was covered in the post in which the video can be found... it might take some sifting, but its there.... tons of pages though i think... but yeah.
Peace(but not in PR),
Okita

Haha! It's funny I like the song better with battleground ambiance added to it.

OkitaMakoto
2007-02-25, 21:42
Haha! It's funny I like the song better with battleground ambiance added to it.

no doubt. its now set as my menu video and music in PR .5

neosky
2007-02-26, 20:39
Hey, I went to play today and my server list wasn't the same.
HAve you got a new update on the servers?
I can't seem to play on the same servers as you guys. Just wondering, btw great job!

Oh and Al barash needs some kind of anti-air missle launchers, lol. I love that level, but noone can do damage to the planes enough, even with the AAs they just take them out your sitting there like wth, lol. We hit them with rpgs but that don't do enough damage. We some how seem to win, but still it'd be nice to get some kills, or at least let us get to there base so we can sabotage them, lol!

Great fixes though!

P.s if you need any help let me know! I'd love to help!

hoc|Altec
2007-02-26, 20:46
http://realitymod.com/forum/showpost.php?p=272323&postcount=17

There are two SA7 AA missile launchers on Al basrah..... But even if you manage to hit something with them more than 1 out of every 10 shots, it can fly well out of your range before you can get another one in them.

Even with two guys coordinating their shots, one will almost certainly will miss....

Server patch is making them a bit stronger thankfully.

neosky
2007-02-26, 20:50
Yeah, that's about right, lol. Really not worried about them, just thought it'd be kool to take one down, lol. Sounds like what we usualy do. Still any word on why I can't play?

It's cause of my no dvd crack.... err. Any way to get one that works? So my friend can play?

*420*acedl
2007-02-26, 23:34
ah man i cant wait to be able to play all the maps !

RightWingZionist
2007-02-27, 03:19
I just recently started getting disconnected repeatedly from game servers.
I restarted and updated the firmware in my modem and chaged my rwin and it's still the same. Is it me or the servers?

outlive
2007-02-27, 08:16
yeah - that happens to me too - a lot of "there's a problem with your connection" errors and lost connection to server every 30min or so...

drygar
2007-02-27, 08:55
we are waiting for serverside patch, most of the things will be resolved to the better then 8)

wooly-back-jack
2007-02-27, 08:58
got sig? :lol:

Bloody
2007-02-27, 15:37
It's almost like the old BF2 memory leak problem. I get huge lag on most servers. It seems fine if a server has just been hard restarted, but after a few rounds the lag starts creeping back in.

neosky
2007-02-27, 16:43
yeah! I'll start and as soon as I move bam cut off! like 40 times, till I just don't play.

Harley
2007-02-28, 06:01
Please can you update us about what happends with the server patch.
Now we can almost not play because of all server lag and the servers go down all the time.

When can we expect to see it out ?

I love this mod guys, keep up the wonderful job.

drygar
2007-03-01, 10:00
We are running 24/7 - 0509bTEST on
[EU]FpsFocus 2 - 0509bTEST/PROS/ABR/AllMaps (Sweden)

Helping out for the future serverpatch,remember this is NOT final,just a beta.
Lock And Load PR player . . .

eggman
2007-03-01, 11:46
Expanding the open beta of the server patch to get some more testing on it. You should see servers with "0509BETA" in the name.