PDA

View Full Version : Rocket Technical zeroing

Fir3w411
2015-04-15, 01:11
I was wondering why doesn't the rocket technical in PR for the Insurgents have a way to measure the angle on the pod.

Like a mortar, why not the ability to find what angle you are shooting at? I think it's rather annoying having to readjust for an old target every single time you move the W/S keys, when you could have remembered the angle on it (with things like spotter being in a different location, the amount of time it takes to zero it correctly, etc). Just angles that represent the pod's adjustment?

Is it possible for the rocket technical to have this added?

ComradeHX
2015-04-15, 01:28
Because it's a ghetto mod, best you can do is figure out the angle and calculate range from velocity.

So it's nice to have angle indicator, but nothing more.

Rhino
2015-04-15, 01:44
http://i.imgur.com/wwQGIuv.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yumkMq1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/sq9RkmE.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/26uKd8b.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/68uggJq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/J4H9pPm.jpg

I've yet to see one with a decent aiming system on it and they aren't known for that accuracy :p

fatalsushi83
2015-04-15, 03:11
Those rockets are going all over the place! The one in PR is way more accurate. BTW, you do know that you can press the "change view" key to look behind you and check the angle of the pod, right? Not that it provides an accurate measurement or anything but still...

I love that rocket techie. Just like the SPG you need skill and coordination to use it but when it works well, it's sooo satisfying!

Jacksonez__
2015-04-15, 09:04
Holy shit :D Those things actually exists? They look so absurd in game I couldn't imagine they are real.

Are those launchers ripped from attack helicopters? The rocket techi needs 2-3 crew to be used effectively. Spotter is good to have.

Rhino
2015-04-15, 10:39
Yes, they where particularly common in the Libyan conflict a few years back but also seen quite a bit in other conflicts. And yes, they are just Helicopter/Jet Rocket Pods that have just need slapped on the back of a pickup :p

Navo
2015-04-15, 10:57
Well I understand they don't have aiming systems, surely measuring the angle wouldn't be too much?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/09/17/article-2424043-1BE28E18000005DC-795_634x357.jpg

BroCop
2015-04-15, 11:04
The rocket techie is way too accurate as it is in game. If anything, not only should it not have any further aiming assistance, it deviation should be drastically increased.

Jacksonez__
2015-04-15, 11:27
The rocket techie is way too accurate as it is in game. If anything, not only should it not have any further aiming assistance, it deviation should be drastically increased.

Its accuracy can be questioned :roll:. The techie has pretty large "recoil" so you need to find very good surface to launch the rockets. Otherwise you'll miss. Big time.

It's good in Falluja if you have some forward observer (civi perhaps). I haven't seen anyone using it in Black Gold insurgency. It has pretty uneven ground and too far distances.

edit: if you find the "spot", then it is accurate. But calibrating the elevation takes some time.

Rhino
2015-04-15, 12:05
Indeed, its hard to get the rockets on target since it takes a lot of trial and error and teamwork/communication, but once on target they are pretty accurate ingame. We could possibly look at increasing the deviation a bit since as you can see from the pics in r/l, the rockets go pretty much everywhere when used in this way :p

But we don't want to nurf it to the point where there is basically no reward for using this thing properly.

Ason
2015-04-15, 12:34
I think some kind of transparent angle measurement-thing should be added when you jump into the gunner seat, like jets and choppers sight/elevation thing, just showing the angle of the pod, not the measurement like mortars.
Something like this (but on the gunner seat):
http://i.imgur.com/gk3XCAn.jpg

Murkey
2015-04-15, 12:58
Maybe someone can correct me but we did a bit of a structured practice session with this and found the following:

- As was mentioned, press C to change view to see the pod, if that's your thing.
- You can change the angle and move the whole setup left and right from the gunners seat with WASD
-If you don't change the angle, the range should be about 450m (*From memory, if someone knows better that would be great)
- If you're on a slope or a firing rockets in quick succession that will alter the range.
- The best method is probably to use a spotter, or as a minimum, have a marker to get the vehicle facing in precisely the right direction.
- Lastly, if you are brave or reckless, you can lower the rocket angle to engage targets closer more like a regular techie, but you'll probably not last long that way.

With a bit of practice we have had some success with this (so I'd be in favour of leaving it as it is).

Cheers, Murkey.

viirusiiseli
2015-04-15, 15:42
With a bit of practice we have had some success with this (so I'd be in favour of leaving it as it is). .

This, I don't see a point to nerfing it. Haven't exactly seen anyone go and get several dozen of kills with it without dying no matter the tactic :D It's more of an annoyance to blufor rather than a really big threat. Most of the times you just see the rockets whizzing over your head rather than hit you.

Mats391
2015-04-15, 15:59
The techi is already getting a rather big buff/bugfix in the next patch. Currently the rockets do not reach the ground on max range setting, this has been fixed. With that + spotter + bit of practice you will be able to shoot this thing cross map on fallujah and bring death to the yankees.

ComradeHX
2015-04-15, 16:51
Rhino;2067124']
But we don't want to nurf it to the point where there is basically no reward for using this thing properly.

It's basically a one/two-man mortar squad that can move fast and reload in main; it needs nerf(power-wise) and possibly make it easier to use (such as having a precise elevation indicator).

Fir3w411
2015-04-15, 18:16
Why would it need a nerf?

It'd pretty inaccurate and rarely ever gets any kills! I have yet to see someone on the rocket technical get more than a dozen kills in a match. I don't know about you guys though. And that is even accounting for clans working together with spotter and experience.

I think it is good personally, just it's a complete hassle to operate properly for the little you get out of it (partly because blufor is always on the move)

Fir3w411
2015-04-15, 18:17
Double post

ComradeHX
2015-04-15, 19:21
Why would it need a nerf?

It'd pretty inaccurate and rarely ever gets any kills! I have yet to see someone on the rocket technical get more than a dozen kills in a match. I don't know about you guys though. And that is even accounting for clans working together with spotter and experience.

I think it is good personally, just it's a complete hassle to operate properly for the little you get out of it (partly because blufor is always on the move)It's one-manned vehicle that has mobility and plenty of firepower, it could use a little worse accuracy.

The goal is to make it easier to get accurate shots, but less precise so as to make it less powerful than mortar.

It's hard to use currently unless you are lucky enough to get accuratw barrages immediately.

Lowering accuracy but adding an elevation indicator will let it be easier to use but not devastating like area attack/mortar.

Imo, it will be better overall.

Rhino
2015-04-15, 19:28
jGPI9Q73ZSo

dysin
2015-04-15, 21:18
Mats391;2067152']The techi is already getting a rather big buff/bugfix in the next patch. Currently the rockets do not reach the ground on max range setting, this has been fixed. With that + spotter + bit of practice you will be able to shoot this thing cross map on fallujah and bring death to the yankees.

alright good fix. great for archer

viirusiiseli
2015-04-16, 03:16
It's one-manned vehicle that has mobility and plenty of firepower, it could use a little worse accuracy.

Why nerf something that's already nearly useless? Think it through.

ComradeHX
2015-04-16, 05:00
Why nerf something that's already nearly useless? Think it through.

You think it through.

Currently it's only "almost useless" due to difficulty of use.
Giving it a proper indicator for where the pod is pointed will make it a lot easier to hit stuff.

Jacksonez__
2015-04-16, 08:23
You think it through.

Currently it's only "almost useless" due to difficulty of use.
Giving it a proper indicator for where the pod is pointed will make it a lot easier to hit stuff.

If you watched the screenshots Rhino posted, they have no indicators in real life. They fire the rockets randomly and hope they hit.

ComradeHX
2015-04-16, 09:55
If you watched the screenshots Rhino posted, they have no indicators in real life. They fire the rockets randomly and hope they hit.

Real life does not have mediocre texture quality for preventing crashes.

What's your point? If you wanted it to be "realistic" then it would be even less precise...

Jacksonez__
2015-04-16, 10:31
Real life does not have mediocre texture quality for preventing crashes.

What's your point? If you wanted it to be "realistic" then it would be even less precise...
You can see the "pod indicator" when you press C and fire once. I don't get why it should get another indicator.

You want it to be less accurate but you want it to be accurate at the same time (=easier to hit targets?)? :roll:

It's one-manned vehicle that has mobility and plenty of firepower, it could use a little worse accuracy.

It's hard to get the elevation right -> compensates the "accurate" rockets.
pretty much same result if you would make the aiming easier but rockets with huge spread

Rhino
2015-04-16, 11:04
Ye, the current system rewards teamwork and communication where ComradeHX it seems your asking for it to be a better lone wolf tool since currently its kinda useless in that role?

I'm sorry but I haven't seen any good arguments for giving this any more angle indicators other than the rear view (which it currently has), or getting out and looking at the angle its pointing at, or having someone outside telling you how high its pointing, or best yet, having a spotter walk your shots in.

This asset was never meant to be a battle changing tool but in the right hands with spotters etc it can make a dent.

Mongolian_dude
2015-04-16, 11:51
Rhino is right. There haven't been any convincing arguments presented as to why the rocket techie should be more effective. It's an improvised weapons system that is wildly inaccurate but potentially lethal, just as it is IRL. If anything, the deviation could be increased by some degree to have it better resemble the RL version.

ComradeHX
2015-04-16, 12:17
You can see the "pod indicator" when you press C and fire once. I don't get why it should get another indicator.

You want it to be less accurate but you want it to be accurate at the same time (=easier to hit targets?)? :roll:

You don't understand the difference between accuracy and precision.

Currently it's more "precise" than IRL because IRL rockets go everywhere; but it's not accurate because it's hard to aim.

Simply making it much easier to aim will make it too overpowered for a one-manned vehicle.
Simply making it much less precise(like IRL) would make it useless.

It's hard to get the elevation right -> compensates the "accurate" rockets.
pretty much same result if you would make the aiming easier but rockets with huge spread

Not the same.

Having a way to get a better idea of where the FIRST shot will land will make it much better with spotters and rewards placing accurate markers on map.

By the time you "adjust" your fire onto the general vicinity of target, anyone not crippled would have moved.

Rhino;2067292']Ye, the current system rewards teamwork and communication where ComradeHX it seems your asking for it to be a better lone wolf tool since currently its kinda useless in that role?

No.

Currently, if you get lucky, you can spam all of its rockets at once and absolutely decimate an area(or a building 300m away shooting with LOS). I have done it; it's hilarious when it works, and sometimes it does work since you have no warmup time when switching to seat 2.

Having it less precise but more aim-able means that driving it by yourself and trying to hit stuff in closer range becomes less effective(lowering effectiveness of lonewolfing in it) while rewarding teamwork by allowing more accurate(but still skill-relevant) first barrage on reported(by teammates, thus teamwork) enemy position.

Lowering precision and increasing accuracy does not make it more effective; it just makes it more skill/teamwork-oriented.

Zeno
2015-04-27, 00:28
One thing i noticed was that after firing the whole vehicle starts to slide to the right, so you have to readjust the entire vehicle after just 2-3 rockets. My suggestion would be to include a veeeeeery small right-left angle of adjustment to make it just a tad more enjoyable and effective. 5-10 degrees should be enough IMO :)

Rhino
2015-04-27, 01:24
My suggestion would be to include a veeeeeery small right-left angle of adjustment to make it just a tad more enjoyable and effective. 5-10 degrees should be enough IMO :)

There is, controlled with the A and D keys, and you probably moved it to the side which resulted in your sideways slide when firing.

fatalsushi83
2015-04-27, 03:16
Holy shit :D Those things actually exists? They look so absurd in game I couldn't imagine they are real.

Here's a video of a few different ones firing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpu6lbskv3g

EDIT: This one's even better. I'm glad this doesn't happen in-game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvm-1gorCeQ