PDA

View Full Version : v1.1 Immobilizing heavy assets a bit too easy?

X-Alt
2014-03-01, 21:41
I have recently been picking up the task of armor a lot. I like the tracking system, but it tends to be a bit too easy from what I see. Recently, I was in a Warrior IFV and what looked like a Militia LAT fired head on into the front armor and completely immobilized us, I also had a similar incident on Khamisiyah where one hit on the front (right below the turret) of my M1A1's armor completely immobilizes the vehicle... If anyone can share their experience with the v1.0+ immobilization system, it would greatly be appreciated..

Answer:
K4on;1987658']
If your armored ground vehicle (disabling system is not in yet for light vehicles like jeeps etc., its planned to be implemented later) falls below a certain percentage of hitpoints (but atleast below ~half of overall hp), your vehicle has the chance to get disabled.

The less hitpoints your vehicle has, the higher is the chance that your vehicle get disabled, and how 'much' your vehicle gets disabled. Maybe your turret doesnt work. maybe you are tracked. Maybe both are disabled for example.

What we cannot do, is to make the disabling based on where the projectile hits. Its quite non relevant where the RPG hits as long as it deals enough damage to the vehicle, means the script can disable the tank on the tracks even if the RPG hit the rear.

We wont go into further details, though I hope that gives you a rough idea of how it works.

ElshanF
2014-03-01, 23:34
Whenever I fire directly at the wheels/ tracks it never tracks. I dont know how why :'

K4on
2014-03-02, 10:27
It's simple:

If your armored ground vehicle (disabling system is not in yet for light vehicles like jeeps etc., its planned to be implemented later) falls below a certain percentage of hitpoints (but atleast below ~half of overall hp), your vehicle has the chance to get disabled.

The less hitpoints your vehicle has, the higher is the chance that your vehicle get disabled, and how 'much' your vehicle gets disabled. Maybe your turret doesnt work. maybe you are tracked. Maybe both are disabled for example.

What we cannot do, is to make the disabling based on where the projectile hits.. Its quite non relevant where the RPG hits as long as it deals enough damage to the vehicle, means the script can disable the tank on the tracks even if the RPG hit the rear.

We wont go into further details, though I hope that gives you a rough idea of how it works.

I also had a similar incident on Khamisiyah where one hit on the front (right below the turret) of my M1A1's armor completely immobilizes the vehicle
Regarding your one shot to front theory; probably you have been hit before or took damage through driving against some objects etc. One hit to the front wont disable you if you are of full hitpoints:
7eehRJqpymc

Roque_THE_GAMER
2014-03-02, 10:56
K4on;1987658']It's simple:

What we cannot do, is to make the disabling based on where the projectile hits.. Its quite non relevant where the RPG hits as long as it deals enough damage to the vehicle, means the script can disable the tank on the tracks even if the RPG hit the rear.

Regarding your one shot to front theory; probably you have been hit before or took damage through driving against some objects etc. One hit to the front wont disable you if you are of full hitpoints:
7eehRJqpymc

also, the Abrams glass still one shoot kill, the T72 is fixed but still take a heavy damage and smoke badly can get 2 shoot kill, and Merkava 2 shoot kill at turret.

ElshanF
2014-03-02, 11:09
If u can post video evidence it would be handy I'm sure.

K4on
2014-03-02, 11:40
also, the Abrams glass still one shoot kill, the T72 is fixed.
both m1a2 and t72 are using the same glass materials, so I wonder how one is kaputt and other is fine if its the same?

ElshanF
2014-03-02, 11:56
K4on;1987671']both m1a2 and t72 are using the same glass materials, so I wonder how one is kaputt and other is fine if its the same?

I've tested the front glass on both tanks. For me the 1 shot kill system to the front no longer works since 1.0. It did work easily in the pre 1.0 versions though.

Roque_THE_GAMER
2014-03-02, 14:16
K4on;1987671']both m1a2 and t72 are using the same glass materials, so I wonder how one is kaputt and other is fine if its the same?

T72 smoke bad, i tested alone, maybe if there is some one inside should take one shoot kill.

X-Alt
2014-03-02, 14:27
Thanks for the info, could have been a good shot in a weak material or perhaps I did run into a few things at main..

Rudd
2014-03-02, 16:31
When I'm running a tank squad, I always bring logistics because of this :) (I tend to go Officer so my tanks gain lazing capability, and my last guy is either on a 50cal or has an AA kit)

fatalsushi83
2014-03-03, 13:52

Thanks for clarifying this. But do LATs do different amounts of damage in terms of hitpoints based on where you hit a vehicle? Is there a spot I should aim for to do more damage? Sorry if this sounds like a noob question but I remember that K4on once told me that it doesn't matter where you hit a LAV with an RPG (I think he said the meshes aren't right or something like that).

K4on
2014-03-03, 14:23
Yes OFC. As shown in the Video, rear armor is the most vulnerable point on most armoured vehicles.
The LAV25 is an exception due to technical issues though. Still counts what I told ya back then.

Dude_Nukem
2014-03-03, 22:58
@K4on: Thanks for the explainable vid. So the front armor takes three shells before its taken out, the tracks/side takes two. But how about if you hit the front tracks? Does it make any difference? Can't test it myself atm.

And what about the health percentage/disabling chance when shot on the side? If its exactly 50% after one shot, then theres no chance of disability (which won't be really realistic, because if you hit the tracks IRL most likely it gets disabled. But if thats the case, I don't complain. I like it the way it is).

EDIT: turned change into chance of disability, and added (which won't be really realistic, because if you hit the tracks IRL most likely it gets disabled. But if thats the case, I don't complain. I like it the way it is).

Psyrus
2014-03-04, 02:35
@K4on: Thanks for the explainable vid. So the front armor takes three shells before its taken out, the tracks/side takes two. But how about if you hit the front tracks? Does it make any difference? Can't test it myself atm.

Just download BFmeshview, and check the collision mesh on the vehicles you're interested in. They'll be color coded :)

EG:
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee94/psyrus_uraya/m1a2_coll_mesh_zps51f3fd63.gif~original

fatalsushi83
2014-03-04, 04:24
OK, that clears things up for me. Thanks and keep up the great work!

Dude_Nukem
2014-03-04, 11:05
On topic: I like it the way it is, the tracking sytem.

@Psyrus: Alright. Maybe I will. Thanks for the help and answer. Keep up the good work!

Murphy
2014-03-05, 19:09
The random disable feature can be pretty damn frustrating, who likes being tracked and turreted by one shot? I preferred the one shot spots of old if we're going to have one shot capable of essentially destroy a tank at the roll of a dice (snake eyes if you will). I have witnessed plenty of one shot disables since 1.0 game around, including a handful of outright kills. Now I realize these tanks were obviously damaged by terrain or whatever but it's ridiculous when fights end up with one tank rolling away after being hit 3 times because he was lucky enough to roll a "disable all systems" shot.

It should not be randomized. Instead have solid numbers behind the disabling, not this wishy-washy system said to be in place right now. A tank should be turreted around 35% and tracked closer to 20% with the bleed starting at 10% hit points. A logical approach based on solid numbers makes much more sense then a randomized luck of the draw system.

Roque_THE_GAMER
2014-03-05, 21:30
The random disable feature can be pretty damn frustrating, who likes being tracked and turreted by one shot? I preferred the one shot spots of old if we're going to have one shot capable of essentially destroy a tank at the roll of a dice (snake eyes if you will). I have witnessed plenty of one shot disables since 1.0 game around, including a handful of outright kills. Now I realize these tanks were obviously damaged by terrain or whatever but it's ridiculous when fights end up with one tank rolling away after being hit 3 times because he was lucky enough to roll a "disable all systems" shot.

It should not be randomized. Instead have solid numbers behind the disabling, not this wishy-washy system said to be in place right now. A tank should be turreted around 35% and tracked closer to 20% with the bleed starting at 10% hit points. A logical approach based on solid numbers makes much more sense then a randomized luck of the draw system.

there is a name for that: Hard Code.

Psyrus
2014-03-06, 01:42
there is a name for that: Hard Code.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-knpCsUjX1L8/UJWlCxN8lhI/AAAAAAAAGWk/_ODNnh5BR_4/s640/facepalm-captain-picard.jpg

The disabling-system was implemented by the PR dev team, so no... it's not hard-coded into the engine...

K4on
2014-03-06, 05:19
Weird though, that u havent complained since 0.7 murphy? The difference between 1.0 and pre is only, that the disabling takes place not always anymore if reached certain values. Also, disabling is not always heavy damage anymore, but can be light aswell. Its pretty much always the case if certain low value gets reached though.
This was done, as vehicles are not always hit critically IRL aswell.
For example Iraq. A Bradley got ffd by an m1a2. , having a big hole in it and not beging combat ready anymore. Though, the engine for driving still worked, so he drove back to base even if not capable for combat anymore.

Nope. Won't change that. Everything has been said.