PDA

View Full Version : ATGM launch smoke

viirusiiseli
2014-01-04, 14:23
I think there's been discussion of this, but in threads not dedicated to it, so here we go.

The ATGMs, from tanks release a smoke screen when fired, and this makes them impossible to guide to moving targets, which I think is not the case IRL.

I think this is really making ATGMs kind of useless.

risegold8929
2014-01-04, 23:45
Yes please. As a gunner I don't even know if I have hit my target or not.

ElshanF
2014-01-05, 01:14
I think it makes tank battles more interesting instead of being HOW'd easily

tankninja1
2014-01-05, 01:41
ATGMs do basically kill in one shot so I think that this kinda balances that advantage out

Tarranauha200
2014-01-05, 03:59
ATGMs do basically kill in one shot so I think that this kinda balances that advantage out

ATGMs are designed to do that. They are NOT designed to release smoke and block the gunners vision.

Murphy
2014-01-05, 10:17
It's frustrating but you get used to it, I have had my fair share of misses. I agree that smoke kind of balances the one hit potential by making you wait for a stationary target, at the same time most situations won't allow for firing on the move even if you're on AP. Unless the driver and gunner of the tank using AP are coordinated and able to fire then quickly reposition the ATGM will pretty much always have the upper hand.

Kerryburgerking
2014-01-05, 11:00
Use it for stationary targets.

yellodeath
2014-01-06, 02:32
TOWs from tanks fly so fucking fast that the smoke doesn't even matter if you know where your target is going - little to no leading is required

I do agree though it should be toned down, that much smoke would be a design flaw/huge liability in collateral damage/reduced combat effectiveness of the #1 GO-TO ground armor.

AP/HEAT smoke from firing should be toned down/more transparent during thermals IMO, in the leopard you're usually reloaded before you can even see your target again

Jolly
2014-01-07, 06:27
In PLA, when ATGM fires, Gunner won't be blocked by the smoke coz the observing optic is somewhere higher.(I mean tank.)
But since ATGM is kindda of OP. Personally, I don't think remove smoke will be a good idea.

I don't know how is the stationary TOW now...it was horrible for me...

-=anders=-
2014-01-07, 10:18
Its strange. I checked the effects and all smoke should go backwards or behind the launcher... Or do you mean the missile trail smoke?

GlaDi
2014-01-07, 13:40
Just try it on short-medium distances like on Yamalia. It's immposibru to hit target With ATGM because whole screen turns gray.

dysin
2014-01-10, 17:51
-=anders=-;1973378']Its strange. I checked the effects and all smoke should go backwards or behind the launcher... Or do you mean the missile trail smoke?

trail smoke. under 400-500m, it's difficult to see that you're still on target until you see splash.

there's a sweet spot that makes anything mobile a guessing game. too close, and it's out like a rifle. no problem. too far and you can reacquire easily. that middle ground is obscured throughout the travel time. this is where most of the problem viirus pointed out is, i think.

Hurricane
2014-01-11, 17:36
I can confirm this is indeed a problem with the ATGM-capable tanks.

viirusiiseli
2014-01-15, 17:33
Both the launch smoke and trail are large, irl its just a gust of hot air that makes a small effect in the optics (you can see this in any video taken from atgm launches).

Jacksonez__
2014-01-17, 20:53
Both the launch smoke and trail are large, irl its just a gust of hot air that makes a small effect in the optics (you can see this in any video taken from atgm launches).

I agree with that the ATGM smoke cloud is extreme. The deviation is OK. As you can see in this video that the ATGM missile deviation is ridiculous in real life (just look at the missile) - yet the missile still hit the target so I assume it was heat-seeking?

FSA hit SAA T 72 tank with ATGM January 2014 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ISOT9C5u4)

My point: remove the damn smoke and add maybe some more deviation.

-=anders=-
2014-01-17, 21:09
Yep. I fixed it and will be in the next update...

GlaDi
2014-01-17, 22:17
Good job Anders :D

tankninja1
2014-01-17, 22:43
ATGMs are designed to do that. They are NOT designed to release smoke and block the gunners vision.

Chobham armor is designed to take a lot more punishment than it takes in game the 120mm depleted uranium rounds can kill a T-72 with no problem. Bases IRL don't have force fields around them that magically kill enemy who gets too close. All those things exist in PR to help balance the game not to be realistic.

viirusiiseli
2014-01-18, 16:32
-=anders=-;1976799']Yep. I fixed it and will be in the next update...

Sehr gut

Tarranauha200
2014-01-25, 11:08
I agree with that the ATGM smoke cloud is extreme. The deviation is OK. As you can see in this video that the ATGM missile deviation is ridiculous in real life (just look at the missile) - yet the missile still hit the target so I assume it was heat-seeking?

FSA hit SAA T 72 tank with ATGM January 2014 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ISOT9C5u4)

My point: remove the damn smoke and add maybe some more deviation.

They are most likely using MCLOS missile that needs to be guided with a joystic or similar device.

Henrique_Dalben
2014-01-25, 23:12
They are most likely using MCLOS missile that needs to be guided with a joystic or similar device.

Judging by the availability in that particular country, missile travel speed and the fact that the missile has IR bulbs on the back, they most likely used a 9K111 Fagot. The missile sway current in PR for ATGMs is more consistent with MCLOS guidance.

EDIT: As you can see, there's no sway on the missile, and it's not even the 2B version.
E2UCrOq0CME

Comments on the performance of modern TOW-firing systems by a ITAS gunner: http://pastebin.com/R2h78tBZ

Eddie Baker
2014-01-25, 23:50
Wrong thread