PDA

View Full Version : Disabling helicopters after v0.98 update seems worse?

Felix
2013-01-13, 21:29
Disabling helicopters has become far to easy after the 0.98 update. I dont know if you have done anything to make it easier to disable choppers, but it seems like that they go down from just a couple of rounds (i got shot down in a huey by 2 50 cal rounds once) and before it seemed to almost never happen. I think this feature should be removed anyways cause its so random and ridiculous, at least put it back to how it was.

Kaland
2013-01-13, 21:59
It's exactly the same as before Felix, so it's just you being unlucky:)
PR 0.98 didn't add anything new other than integrating the mini-mods into the main mod itself.

Felix
2013-01-14, 07:45
PR 0.98 did have some fixes, for example they fixed that when you dropped your kit your movement would stop so you could use it to drop down from great heights without taking any damage. They also fixed some stuff on Pavlovsk Bay spawnpoints and location of carrier.
And they must have changed something with the helicopters too cause there are so many complaining about it now than there was before, and I've shot down so many choppers with small arms without the choppers even starting to smoke.

nAyo
2013-01-14, 07:55
I've noticed this as well, but I don't know whether it's just bad luck. Seems like choppers get immobilized quicker than before.

viirusiiseli
2013-01-14, 09:06
It's exactly the same as before Felix, so it's just you being unlucky:)
PR 0.98 didn't add anything new other than integrating the mini-mods into the main mod itself.

That's bs, have you not played 0.981? The angle of which AAVP shoots its 40mms has been changed to below the camera rather than the previous right side. You can't drop a kit and surivive a fall. Pavlovsk bay was changed heaps. And other changes that I can't think of right now but the point is, they changed stuff into 0.981, it wasn't just about adding the damned minimods.

Transhelis and small helicopters e.g. kiowa get immobilized from a very small amount of .50cal or 14.5mm. (BTR/ZPU-4). And when I say small, I mean ridiculously tiny amounts. Flying trans is impossible if the enemy team has a .50cal and a low pinger manning it.

AncientMan
2013-01-14, 09:41
You're imagining things. The things that got changed in 0.98:
- Map Pack (Pavlovsk got some fixes)
- Vietnam
- Falklands (Goose Green got Argentine voices fixed, and some other little minor coding/localization tweaks)
- Normandy (all maps got some minor GPO tweaks)
- 2 sneaky exploit fixes in Python (the drop kit exploit being one of them)

Helicopters did not get touched, neither did the damage bullets put out. You're imagining things :)

nAyo
2013-01-14, 09:48
Well ye it was some bad luck then, I really thought something had been changed though. Placebo effect consequences!

spawncaptain
2013-01-14, 12:41
AncientMan;1854078']- 2 sneaky exploit fixes in Python (the drop kit exploit being one of them)

Could you tell what the other one was? Shouldn't be a problem since it has been fixed and nobody's playing with the older versions anyway.

viirusiiseli
2013-01-14, 14:17
AncientMan;1854078']You're imagining things. The things that got changed in 0.98:
- Map Pack (Pavlovsk got some fixes)
- Vietnam
- Falklands (Goose Green got Argentine voices fixed, and some other little minor coding/localization tweaks)
- Normandy (all maps got some minor GPO tweaks)
- 2 sneaky exploit fixes in Python (the drop kit exploit being one of them)

Helicopters did not get touched, neither did the damage bullets put out. You're imagining things :)

AAVP firing angle was changed. Grr...

KillJoy[Fr]
2013-01-14, 16:36
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Mpa5mUYVWB0/TDR5eYvlmkI/AAAAAAAAEGA/BWBEiEPgT_U/s1600/chill_pill.jpg

AfterDune
2013-01-14, 16:51
I don't think anything from the "core" got changed, mate. Only stuff was added. So the AAVP is still the same.

Stemplus
2013-01-14, 16:54
The other exploit was getting a super boost by hitting the side of the carrier with a boat, diving below it, getting out on the other side with the boat's front in the air. If you managed to keep the boat at the perfect angle of about 60* it would gain ridiculous speed. I know ramming the carrier is not the only way of doing it, the other one is ramming an obstacle, but most of the time when you hit something in front of you you either flip over or your boat goes back to it's normal position.

EDIT: Also the turret and the HUD of the 12.7 MT-LB was changed ;)

Mineral
2013-01-14, 17:09
Lol, imagination is a wonderfull thing when there is no changelog:p

viirusiiseli
2013-01-14, 18:47
I do have footage of both 0.973 AAVP gunner firing and 0.981, they're different.

But you can keep telling me otherwise, it's fine.

lol

ExeTick
2013-01-14, 20:22
show us then viirusiiseli.

40mmrain
2013-01-14, 20:55

I wish the overheat rate were changed..

[F|H]Zackyx
2013-01-14, 20:57
DId you changed chopper health in vietnam ? a ppsh shot me down with one mag i was 60 m high flyng at medium speed my chopper was fully repaired

_Fizzco_
2013-01-14, 21:09
That's cus the Nam hueys are weak as shit compared to there modern counterparts

AfterDune
2013-01-15, 10:42
I do have footage of both 0.973 AAVP gunner firing and 0.981, they're different.

But you can keep telling me otherwise, it's fine.

lol
And I will keep telling you otherwise, because nothing was changed in the core :).

If your HUD was indeed different, it's a bug (probably) caused by the add-ons.

kangaroo
2013-01-15, 12:58
was the 2nd one the unguided stinger glitch? because just before I did a perfect snap shoot at a cow with the stinger it hit it dead on its side but didnt kill it. so Im guessing if you dont aim it doesnt do any damage?

Felix
2013-01-15, 22:32
But it's impossible, I sat with MG3 on Muttrah dropping hueys like flies the other day.

FLAP_BRBGOING2MOON
2013-01-15, 22:53
But it's impossible, I sat with MG3 on Muttrah dropping hueys like flies the other day.

that has always been possible, i have locked up the cashuey, cobra and even an apache with the mg3.

that being said, some insight from a dev on how the loss of control mechanic actually works would be nice.

Mikemonster
2013-01-16, 06:49

The Huey windscreen can be shot through with the MG3 and the G3, not sure about other weapons.

I know that I hammered away at a Huey landing on Hotel with an M2 .50 cal aimed at the cockpit, and it just flew back to the carrier with some grey smoke (the HMG overheated).

Annoyingly random unfortunately.

ExeTick
2013-01-16, 14:51
Yesterday on muttrah me and another NwA members played on merk and we used APCs in the beginning and we only had the 7.62 machinegun apc and my gunner shot at the cas huey and it was disabled almost instantly when he was shooting, he shot maybe 30-40 rounds with that apc and we have never ever been able to disable a cas huey with that gun before.

so something have changed with damage against helicopters in PR.

chrisweb89
2013-01-16, 16:01
From what I know its all random chance when a vehicle drops below a certain health point, what and if something becomes disabled.

nAyo
2013-01-16, 17:45
Ye weird thing about those choppers seriously, either a terrible luck or some devs have sneaked in a sneaky modification

ElshanF
2013-01-16, 20:58
Not noticed anything. I say fly better whoever is complaining lol

Pronck
2013-01-16, 22:04
I recorded something that should "confirm" that they might have changed the helicopters' health. I placed the IED on top of the control tower , the Chinook started smoking and probably one shotgun round made it lose power. And it crashed into the ground.

Look at the video for proof.

i1QSNc-q0Ws

It seems like a Devs has been trolling the other Devs.....

Brainlaag
2013-01-16, 22:11
Transhelis and small helicopters e.g. kiowa get immobilized from a very small amount of .50cal or 14.5mm. (BTR/ZPU-4). And when I say small, I mean ridiculously tiny amounts. Flying trans is impossible if the enemy team has a .50cal and a low pinger manning it.

I can't but to second this. Since the new release, I've seen helicopters and especially Hueys dropping like flies from even the smallest amount of damage taken by almost ANY weapon.

Either a lot of us suffer from a sever case of placebo, or you did mess up some files, either by mistake, or due to the mini-mods.

40mmrain
2013-01-16, 22:42
yes you;d be surprised how powerful the placebo effect is.

This compounded with the fact that because of rumors like this people are more likely to start shooting at specific parts of the helicopter like the engine producing more results.

I recorded something that should "confirm" that they might have changed the helicopters' health. I placed the IED on top of the control tower , the Chinook started smoking and probably one shotgun round made it lose power. And it crashed into the ground.

Look at the video for proof.

It seems like a Devs has been trolling the other Devs.....

There chances of actually having hit that chinook are astoundingly low, the IED probably just did it.

I think this is worth testing anyways, its possible some kind of error occurred when the 0.98 patch was created.

rPoXoTauJIo
2013-01-16, 22:54
Its all because of pilots. Flew many times on all helis before and after patch, didn't noticed difference.
Transport helicopters still to weak for pilots and passengers, and too armored for everyone else.

K_Rivers
2013-01-16, 23:24
This thread is lulz

Psyrus
2013-01-17, 00:12
I checked the HP, materials, material damage values for the huey with
50 cal

Everything matches between 0.97 and 0.98

If there is an issue, I couldn't find it.

rodrigoma
2013-01-17, 00:24
Quick start spreading the rumor that HD textures have been added, maybe it will stick :p:p:p

nAyo
2013-01-17, 08:40
It was quite rare to get immobilized in a chopper before, and now it happens to me almost everyday. Just yesterday, we immobilized a havok with a couple of hydras, same 2 days ago we immobilized a Z10 with hydras and canon, 3 days ago I got immobilized in an apache by a few havok canon hits, and so on.

It's either the worst luck/biggest placebo ever, or something indeed has been changed with the new patch, probably by mistake since you seem to be officially stating there was no such changes.

Pronck
2013-01-17, 10:16
Just a few minutes ago I managed to make a Kiowa lose power after a few PKM rounds , it seems to be way easier now.

L4gi
2013-01-17, 10:54
The other exploit was getting a super boost by hitting the side of the carrier with a boat, diving below it, getting out on the other side with the boat's front in the air. If you managed to keep the boat at the perfect angle of about 60* it would gain ridiculous speed. I know ramming the carrier is not the only way of doing it, the other one is ramming an obstacle, but most of the time when you hit something in front of you you either flip over or your boat goes back to it's normal position.

EDIT: Also the turret and the HUD of the 12.7 MT-LB was changed ;)

Actually it wasnt. That one is still doable tho.

saXoni
2013-01-17, 14:28
It's probably just a bug, nothing the DEVs did on purpose. Might have something to do with a mix of the regular and Vietnam Hueys?

Pvt.LHeureux
2013-01-17, 15:09
It was quite rare to get immobilized in a chopper before, and now it happens to me almost everyday. Just yesterday, we immobilized a havok with a couple of hydras, same 2 days ago we immobilized a Z10 with hydras and canon, 3 days ago I got immobilized in an apache by a few havok canon hits, and so on.

It's either the worst luck/biggest placebo ever, or something indeed has been changed with the new patch, probably by mistake since you seem to be officially stating there was no such changes.I think that after being hit by hydra missiles it's fair that a chopper gets immobilized...

Tim270
2013-01-17, 15:14

Heh we were going the boat wheelies back in 2005. Its not really a exploit at all..

You used to be able to get inside the carrier mesh too if you bailed out in the right places once under it.

nAyo
2013-01-17, 19:37
I think that after being hit by hydra missiles it's fair that a chopper gets immobilized...
No heureux, I'm saying that it was different before the patch. Being 'immobilized' (= engine lost) was still quite rare, you were either burning or destroyed or whatever.

As far as I know being immobilized is something randomly happening with some defined probability, and it feels that probability has drastically inscreased.

notmyingamename
2013-02-04, 08:02
It's probably just a bug, nothing the DEVs did on purpose. Might have something to do with a mix of the regular and Vietnam Hueys?

i think that's a fair guess with the vietnam heli's. regardless of how the numbers look, i've noticed this myself since the last update and have had several squadmates mention their experiences in game. the threshold between 100% and ditching in a kiowa is the most noticeable, so if you were to go about testing this then that would be the place to begin. maybe it's less to do with a condition/material and more to do with an unintended leak into non-minimod play

risegold8929
2013-02-05, 02:48
Just noticed this awhile ago on Coop. I usually take alot more hits on kiowa before it loses power, but this time it happend extremely fast...

ExeTick
2013-02-05, 08:50
I shot Cas huey with AR on jabal and he was disabled pretty fast..

so I would think its something like Saxoni said.

FLAP_BRBGOING2MOON
2013-02-08, 00:46
i got locked up by maybe .5 seconds of . 50 fire in a huey 3 times on barracuda, somethings definitely wrong.

nAyo
2013-02-08, 03:55
There is something that has changed for sure, that could have been placebo effect at the begining, but now it's definitely not

FLAP_BRBGOING2MOON
2013-02-08, 05:41
There is something that has changed for sure, that could have been placebo effect at the begining, but now it's definitely not

a couple of friends and i tested this, on kashan out of 15 kiowas shot with mg3/.50, 9/15 locked up 6/15 blew up outright. the average number of rounds used was around 7 .50 cal and a fourth of an mg3 mag, with 5 locking up much earlier than that, around the first 10 mg3 and 2 .50 rounds. we tried with 5 blackhawks, 3/5 locking before blowing up outright.

somethings different, this is no placebo.

risegold8929
2013-02-08, 09:46
At least we won't see as many suicide runs in Trans choppers.... Spray teh cobra on Muttrah with da MG3!!!111eleven!!1

40mmrain
2013-02-08, 20:08
does it only happen with kinetic projectiles like bullets, and AP cannon rounds, or do explosions from missiles and such induce this effect more than last patch too?

As far as I know being immobilized is something randomly happening with some defined probability, and it feels that probability has drastically inscreased.

I had heard a rumor that if you hit certain parts of the helicopters, there is a higher chance of this happening, perhaps the projectile damage hasnt changed, but rather the hitboxes.

Stemplus
2013-02-08, 22:34
Yes, it also includes explosions. Just today I've tracked a BH by hitting a flare 20 meters away from him. He wasn't even smoking when he started falling out of the sky. By the way, is it realistic that rockets exploding on flares deal any damage? Would they just fall in pieces, or just miss the flare since it's so small?

SuperHornet
2013-02-11, 14:06
Something has to of been changed. Was just flying around on CIA in the CAS huey, like 20 - 30 MG3 bullets hit me and I became disabled.

That's bullshit.

ExeTick
2013-02-11, 14:30
hopefully they can find and fix the problem :)

Henrique_Dalben
2013-02-16, 00:50
Kiowa is the most useless helicopter in 0.98, 1 or 2 rounds of .50 will disable it. I used to fly kiowas all day everyday only getting shot and dying in the pilot seat or by destroying the helo itself, since the update i've never had a smoking kiowa or been shot out of it, every time it gets disabled with the first or second .50 cal round, or the first or second pkm burst.

Pronck
2013-03-18, 18:25
Something has to of been changed. Was just flying around on CIA in the CAS huey, like 20 - 30 MG3 bullets hit me and I became disabled.

That's bullshit.

Had almost the same problem twice on Muttrah with the CAS Huey, an AA missile hit a flare that was like 10 meters under the tail and then I took some rifle shots and I immediately lost my power. Luckily I could crashland it into the ocean without getting hurt but it still doesn't seem right.

Mikemonster
2013-03-19, 20:01
Shot up some Kiowas on Karbala with the .50 the other day.. They didn't go down instantly. Is it map specific?

Of course, everyone with this 'problem' could just test it on Muttrah with a .50 and a Huey (or the M60 on the boats as it's the same calibre as the MG3).

nAyo
2013-03-19, 22:23
That would be cool that DEVs say something about this problem, which is clearly one. Just so we know it's gonna be taken into consideration

Psyrus
2013-03-20, 00:38
That would be cool that DEVs say something about this problem, which is clearly one. Just so we know it's gonna be taken into consideration

Well in over 50 posts there has only been one person to show that they've tested this, which was actually an IED kill & not the bullet hits that are being complained about. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but you know what holds a lot more weight than just words? A video with you and your friend testing exactly how many shots it takes to disable said helicopters.

Truism
2013-03-20, 01:16
Psyrus is the helicopter man.

40mmrain
2013-03-20, 02:54

go into a dead server with a friend and shoot at some hueys and stuff with machine guns, record it, shouldnt be hard to demonstrate

Mikemonster
2013-03-21, 08:03
Plus wouldn't it be amusing if the engines were critical hit points and it was actually realistic (and not BS like the airtank hueys that no pilots complained about or petitioned to be changed?).

K4on
2013-03-21, 17:14
Dunno if I posted here already, but we are working hard exspecially on the chopper amor- and disabling system to make it better for 1.0, since as many of you already said, the current system is a bit strange.

fillsson
2013-03-21, 17:21
Tried it on silent eagle with a huey vs an mg4. Sadly I can't remember the exact number of bullets it took but I think it was around 1 - 1 1/2 mags.
Seems pretty normal to me.

nAyo
2013-03-22, 02:11
K4on;1877133']Dunno if I posted here already, but we are working hard exspecially on the chopper amor- and disabling system to make it better for 1.0, since as many of you already said, the current system is a bit strange.
Oh very nice to know that!

Murphy
2013-03-29, 16:50
Last night we got shot down in a BH by a few bursts of PKM, but on the previous trip we were hit by a Stinger and were not even smoking. I really hope this kind of situation gets reversed, I would love to see AA actually become effective against trans choppers and small arms become more of an annoyance.

Strange situation this chopper damage system, I'm super relieved that you guys are addressing it.
Thank you devs!!!!!

Steeps
2013-03-30, 03:28
Also Trooper and I were in a CAS Huey on Muttrah and were disabled by an MG3. We landed and the chopper wasn't even smoking, but it would not take off.

VON-5
2013-06-15, 17:39
I also have been flying hueys on Muttrah for a very long time, until I came back recently and noticed that AA missles would more often knock out the engines. I thought this was just me being a rusty pilot, but after playing for a while, the problem is still there.