PDA

View Full Version : v0.98 Helicopter Wheels #1

Rhino
2012-11-14, 11:20
This Topic/Poll is now Closed. Please refer to this topic for the latest poll and discussion: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f254-vehicles/121276-helicopter-wheels-2b.html

Old Post:

In PR:F we have been testing our a new concept for Helicopters with Wheels as per this highlight here: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f196-pr-highlights/115134-pr-falklands-update-7-a.html
Rhino;1818569']There are a few new feature we are going to try out in PR:F and one of these new features is having the wheels on helicopters rotate in the same way the wheels on a jet do. Before wheels on helicopters didn't turn when in the contact with the ground, instead they just stayed stationary, like the brakes where constantly applied. By having the wheels rotate, helicopters with wheels will not only be able to taxi on the ground, but will be able to perform rolling landings, be able to control there aircraft on the ground more when landing and in some cases, should prevent the helicopter from flipping over as the wheels will turn to compensate, instead of the entire chopper moving.
Here is a quick Proof of Concept (POC) video I did on it with the H-34 to show the rest of the team this concept, although the taxi engine (like what jets have) wasn't in, in this video and now has been applied.
BV7ZSq1In8M
So far the feedback I've had from the testers that have tried it is all positive and if this works out in PR:F then it may be rolled out across all the helicopters with wheels in PR v1.0 and should give a nice distinct difference between helicopters with skids and wheels, which is other than looks :D
Currently only the Wessex and the Chinook CH1 in PR:F (only wheeled choppers in it) have this new code applied to them, all choppers with skids remain as they where.

Now that PR:F has been out for a month and hopefully some of you have been able to try this I'm looking for some feedback from anyone who has so we can determine if this should be implemented into PR v1.0.

If you haven't tried this out please do so before posting any feedback on this.

Cheers!

rodrigoma
2012-11-14, 13:55
I cant see why not, from what I have tried it worked well, and its realistic and makes the current system look kind of retarded ;)

Kevokpo
2012-11-14, 14:32
the only problem with this is that pilots are used to the fact that when helis touch ground it instantly stops, I have seen many choppers crashing rocks or houses in front of them because the chopper didn't stop and they dind't know about this new system (including me :D). but I think it is good, players just need to get used to it. :)

just one question, htis system will only be implemented on helis that have wheels right? not in the gazelle nor the uh1d

Rhino
2012-11-14, 14:46
just one question, htis system will only be implemented on helis that have wheels right? not in the gazelle nor the uh1d

Correct, only choppers with wheels will get this feature, in the same way the Gazelle or Bell in PR:F don't have this feature since they have skids.

CrazyHotMilf
2012-11-14, 15:34
looks outstanding , keep up the goodwork , gonna waste a lot of hours of my life for this :mrgreen:

rPoXoTauJIo
2012-11-14, 15:40
The main problem in this new system is that helis(especially wessex) constantly sliding. In vanilla pr(UH60\Mi-8\vChinook\etc) its not a problem due it's veeeery slow speed. But on falklands it was pretty annoying, when your wessex\chinook trying do slide off the carrier.

Rhino
2012-11-14, 15:48
The main problem in this new system is that helis(especially wessex) constantly sliding. In vanilla pr(UH60\Mi-8\vChinook\etc) its not a problem due it's veeeery slow speed. But on falklands it was pretty annoying, when your wessex\chinook trying do slide off the carrier.

You don't slide any more than normal, you "roll" ;)

You can control this rolling by pitching back and forwards on the ground to control the chopper's taxi engine, like a jet, and then the rudder to turn in the direction you want to go. With a bit of practice I've found that you can control your chopper very well on the ground but if you just leave your stick central when on the ground then your chopper is going to go where it wants to go :p

Try controlling your chopper on the ground like this in PR:F then see if you feel the same way :)

rPoXoTauJIo
2012-11-14, 16:18
Rhino;1833945']...but if you just leave your stick central when on the ground then your chopper is going to go where it wants to go :p
That's what i mean. It's ok on LZ's, but on helipad helicopter shouldn't make any movements without touching controls.
Al least, give us a helipads like in PR:V, with small barriers :)

Rhino
2012-11-14, 16:37
That's what i mean. It's ok on LZ's, but on helipad helicopter shouldn't make any movements without touching controls.
Al least, give us a helipads like in PR:V, with small barriers :)

Ye, there is a tiny bit of movement on level ground if you leave it in idle which is a small problem, but if your planning on leaving your chopper idle for some time you should probably hop out of it :p

Question is, is this problem big enough to warrant not applying this to v1.0?

rPoXoTauJIo
2012-11-14, 17:38
OMG THESE CHANGES HAVE RUINED THE MOD EVEN THOUGH I HAVEN'T PLAYED YET :D

Actually, i think wheel system is great, and rolling helis not so big problem to scrap this good idea.

Many times in pr i saw helis crashed in bunkers\hangars\under static just because someone tried to align helicopter by lifting a bit. With wheels it could be avoided.
Also, with new system we can simulate heli take-off with full load(like Hind), when it need to get some speed on the runway.

But would be better, if this annoying movements when no controls will be fixed. Maybe helicopters physics can be changed a bit, or dev team can just replace helipads on most maps with something that have invisible barriers?

Rhino
2012-11-14, 18:06
Also, with new system we can simulate heli take-off with full load(like Hind), when it need to get some speed on the runway.

Can't simulate forward movement with extra lift like you get in r/l when a chopper takes off from a runway in BF2 :(

But doing a running takeoff in a chopper dose have the advantage of gaining some forward momentum before your chopper can lift off the ground :D

rPoXoTauJIo
2012-11-14, 18:27
Rhino;1833981']Can't simulate forward movement with extra lift like you get in r/l when a chopper takes off from a runway in BF2 :(
As far as i know, there at least 2 odd and weird solutions, how it could work in bf2:

1. Using fictional and invisible afterburners that have small rotation.

2. Using fictional and invisible wings(i know, they already in code, but why not add more? :D )

Rhino
2012-12-17, 17:00
bump :)

Moszeusz6Pl
2012-12-17, 18:55
First time I used helicopter I was a bit surprised when it quickly started moving, while warming up engines, but when I remembered about this future, and it really helped moving at deck. I think it should be implemented to all wheeled helicopters.

Felix
2012-12-18, 11:21
the only problem i see is that landing would take a lot more time cause you cant brake on the ground, but then again thats more realistic isn't it?

SShadowFox
2012-12-18, 14:39
This is why you need to approach at low speed when landing.

Rhino
2012-12-18, 15:44
the only problem i see is that landing would take a lot more time cause you cant brake on the ground, but then again thats more realistic isn't it?

The thing is you can by pulling back on the stick as your wheels hit the ground and your engine isn't giving enough power so your nose doesn't come off the ground :)

Rhino
2012-12-22, 22:25
bumpy :)

40mmrain
2012-12-22, 23:39
has this been applied to all wheeled helicopters as of 0.98?

Rhino
2012-12-22, 23:42
No, still only the ones in PR:F.

I would also like for everyone who likes to fly choppers to please try this feature out and get to know it over the next few weeks as at some point when I feel people have tried this enough I plan to put a poll up to see how you guys feel about it, but in the mean time, posting individual feedback would be very much appreciate as and when you try this and if you have any more thoughts on it as you use it more :D

risegold8929
2012-12-26, 01:06
I gave it a little run about 10 minutes ago and these are my observations:

-The ability to taxi on the ground gives an extra dimension to chopper piloting, allowing the pilot to taxi around the carrier/runway. This is good as it means no longer will I have to fly 1ft off the ground in order to just fly 2m down the carrier/runway as I did not land on the reloading area, instead I can just taxi forwards at no risk to other air traffic.

-When landing the chopper it rolls at the speed that you touched down at (good) which is easily counter-acted by the pilot using the reverse taxi direction effectively acting as a brake (in combination with using the S key). Also, this means that flying a transport chopper will now require a bit more skill by the pilot who will require a (slightly) larger landing area.

-After doing some tests as to how different landing speeds affect the actual landing, I found that anything under 250km/h is easily manageable to apply reverse thrust and come to a safe stop, but anything over around a 550km/h landing and then attempting to apply reverse taxi runs a high risk of sending the chopper pointing 45-90 degrees into the sky and wildly whipping back wards at a high speed (similar to what happens to new "noob" PR pilots when trying to land their first helicopter as they flare drastically, and therefore over compensate for speed sending the helicopter speeding backwards). This highspeed can easily be brought down to a manageable lower speed by doing a slight flare when reaching the LZ (which leads conditions perfect for hover landing or a slow rolling landing) or tapping (default) S as you approach the LZ.

-The ability to roll forward does not contribute much to the takeoff (sadly) and you can still easily takeoff in a hover by slightly applying reverse taxi as you increase power.

-With regards to the forward rolling being used as a momentum gain before takeoff, the maximum you can gain is around 40-50 km/h in forwards taxi which can easily be gained in flight if you decide to do a hover takeoff anyway. (Fun fact:While testing taxiing out on the Chinook, holding the 'S' key along with apply reverse taxi allowed me to travel at 330 km/h backwards).

-Having wheels on these choppers adds a slight difference to increased stability on the ground when turning your helicopter to face a different direction (e.g. Compare to the Lynx).

-Different choppers have power differences in taxiing. For example the Chinook is alot more powerful when taxiing when compared to the H-34.

If I had to choose between the old system and the new system, I would definitely choose the new system as it feels more polished and (dare I say) realistic.

Rhino
2013-01-14, 16:55
Right hopefully enough players have had a chance to try out this new feature so I've added a poll to this topic to determine if this should be added to all wheeled choppers in v1.0 :)

Please only vote once you've tried this feature.

Cheers!

Rhino
2013-01-18, 07:13
bumpy, only 13 votes so far, surly more than 13 people have flown the wheeled choppers in PR:F? :)

[F|H]Zackyx
2013-01-18, 08:37
add it !

havoc1482
2013-01-18, 09:15
I just tried it out. I think its cool. I practiced landing and taking off from areas around the map and it definitely made landing on surfaces with a slight slope more challenging as the helicopter will roll down a hill ect. But I also noticed something neat about that too: With the taxi controls you can land on an uneven surface and not risk rolling over because the helicopter isn't meeting any resistance from the ground, the wheels just follow the slope and you can guide the chopper.

I think it should absolutely be added into the game.

Cheers devs!

Rhino
2013-01-20, 12:37
guywithawrench, care to give a reason why you voted no? Just interested why :)

With the taxi controls you can land on an uneven surface and not risk rolling over because the helicopter isn't meeting any resistance from the ground, the wheels just follow the slope and you can guide the chopper.

Ye, one of the positives of choppers with wheels is they are much harder to flip for this reason, as the wheels will compensate for any movement instead of the entire chopper flipping over :)

But isn't impossible to flip them either :p

Xander[nl]
2013-01-20, 13:59
I like it, just needs a fix for going backwards. The Chinook can reach 420km/h driving backwards. :mrgreen:

havoc1482
2013-01-20, 17:15
Rhino;1856312']
But isn't impossible to flip them either :p

Not gonna disagree haha, because I did.....:neutral::(

Rhino
2013-01-21, 15:41
;1856347']I like it, just needs a fix for going backwards. The Chinook can reach 420km/h driving backwards. :mrgreen:

Ye iirc we are significantly toning down the "negative thrust" on choppers in v1.0 but not 100% on that :p

But ye, one way or another that needs to be fixed :p

Rhino
2013-01-22, 16:52
bumpy :)

Also Finrar, care to explain why you voted not (just interested) and still waiting for your response too guywithawrench on why you also voted no. Cheers :)

Microwaife
2013-01-22, 19:07
It's a great feature, I just need to get used to it.

I crashed 2 choppers on Falklands, because i didn't know about it.

ExeTick
2013-02-11, 09:46
I accidently taxid my way down the ocean when I was playing falklands. but its a great future :)

Rhino
2013-02-11, 11:37
Ye, being able to land on the water in the surrounding terrain is a bug I've got to fix, but was a better alternative to being able to fly under the water as per before :p

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/2659/screen1241.jpg

Microwaife
2013-02-11, 16:11
Dont really know, but probably there will be problems landing a chinook on f.e. kokan when the helicopter rolls away. IRL a chinook is not really made to land in/on a very small LZ/landing pad.

Rhino
2013-02-11, 19:13
Well that's more of a map problem tbh :p

ExeTick
2013-02-11, 19:16
is it possible to make kokan mainbase for US/canada bigger?

Rhino
2013-02-11, 19:42
Its celestially possible, but would require some amount of reworking and re-lightmapping.

Microwaife
2013-02-11, 22:20
Sure its a map problem, which might cause some problems when this (great) feature will be implemented.

Just wanted to point it out. So that maybe someone can fix it or find a solution. Or the testers could test if its still possible to land the chinook in the base without any problems. :)

Rhino
2013-02-11, 22:56
Well it isn't too hard to land directly on a spot, takes a bit of getting use to but you just don't fly in, you hover then come down and any movement on the ground you correct with the taxi engine :)

zombie-yellow
2013-02-12, 02:07
Maybe that would be a problem when you MUST reach the helipad because you're 3 seconds away from blowing up in the sky... I've done this tons of times with the Blackhawk : rushing to the helipad and landing it at 300 km/h and stopping almost instantly :p

Might have to rework my emergency procedures lol

Microwaife
2013-02-12, 16:26
Maybe that would be a problem when you MUST reach the helipad because you're 3 seconds away from blowing up in the sky... I've done this tons of times with the Blackhawk : rushing to the helipad and landing it at 300 km/h and stopping almost instantly :p

Would be good if stuff like that would be prevented by this new system.
Makes it a hell lot more realistic and easier for insurgents to kill a chopper.

Steeps
2013-04-10, 19:26
I can't seem to ever come to a 100% stop at all. The chopper just keeps rolling and rolling, even slightly.

ChallengerCC
2013-04-12, 09:31
Yeah, why not? ^^

Onil
2013-04-12, 12:05

It you're doing hard landings when damaged, then you definitely weren't 3 seconds away from blowing up.

You should never land when you got the critical damage beeps, you should always just hover on top of the helipad as you still get repairs.

FK Ye@h H@rDstyl3
2013-04-15, 10:44
I totally like this idea, DO IT!!

Rhino
2013-04-15, 10:46
I totally like this idea, DO IT!!

Its done :p
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f196-pr-highlights/119349-transport-helicopter-updates.html

Rhino;1884767']Helicopter Wheels

As you've probably seen in the Devcast (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2U9-y6efBSo#t=83s) the working helicopter wheels concept (https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f196-pr-highlights/115134-pr-falklands-update-7-a.html) which was first seen in PR:F v0.1 as a Proof of Concept dynamic and received the communities approval (https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f254-vehicles/116072-helicopter-wheels.html) has been applied to all wheeled helicopters in PR for v1.0.

This essentially allows wheeled helicopters to taxi and perform rolling landings, as well as having much more control while on the ground. Before in PR and vBF2 the wheels where just for show but now helicopters with wheels will behave very differently on the ground from helicopters with skids. This will take a bit of time to get use to but once your use to the new system, you should really appreciate the new control you have on the ground and the new options you have for landing.

FK Ye@h H@rDstyl3
2013-05-14, 07:55
Rhino;1885774']Its done :p
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f196-pr-highlights/119349-transport-helicopter-updates.html

damn you Rhino, it took you only 2 minutes to do it. That was fast

Lets see......
PR 1.0 release tomorrow please. DO IT!! *fingers crossed*

emmanuel15
2013-06-16, 07:28
i clearly don't see a problem in implanting these feature all though it will be alot harder to land with wheel hli's

BuckWheat69
2013-06-30, 02:22
I really like this feature!

Although one problem i had with it was the fact that I could start taxiing right after entering the helicopter. A delay timer for the activation of the wheels would be great. It would be best to make that delay in sync with the engine delay.

Thanks!

Rambo Medic
2013-06-30, 19:09
I may be by myself on this but I f***ing hate it. Mostly because it needs to be reworked, or redone. Example: I land, and I expect people to be fucking jumping out instantly, but instead for whatever ridiculous reason they assume the heli is midair until the heli has come to a 100% stop, so I have to be sitting at the lz for a good 10 seconds trying to stabilize my stupid wheels, while the idiots inside the trans won't get out, and what usually happens is I over compensate here or there when trying to stop my heli from moving, and I ram into a wall, and what about hot lz's? Please implement some kind of way to lock the wheels, which I'm sure you can do in real life (brakes or something) what if somebody wants to land on a hot building, the pilot can't fucking hover over the lz for 5 secs, he'll get blown up, he needs to do a moving landing, which if he does he'll literally fucking roll of the building, or roll into one of the obstacles on the building.

Bluedrake42
2013-06-30, 19:51
it would be nice to have brakes, but from what I've seen, its possible to stop the wheels if you know how to use them correctly

Bluedrake42
2013-06-30, 19:53
in other words... I would practice with them first before you rage on the forums

Rambo Medic
2013-06-30, 19:58
in other words... I would practice with them first before you rage on the forums

It's hard to practice on public servers. If COOP was available, I might be able to play around with the wheels, and see if there is some kind of remedy to the problem I'm having, but as it stands, I can't do that.

Bluedrake42
2013-06-30, 20:06
thats true, it'll be hard to get good practice in with just internet servers
however it does seem like with practice players could get just as good if not better than they were able to with the old choppers

Rhino
2013-06-30, 22:25
it would be nice to have brakes, but from what I've seen, its possible to stop the wheels if you know how to use them correctly

Ye a brake would be good but I'm unaware of any way of coding one.

And yes, once you've got use to the new system, especially if you fly with a joystick, you can use the wheels to brake very easily on most surfaces, it just takes practice.

It's hard to practice on public servers. If COOP was available, I might be able to play around with the wheels, and see if there is some kind of remedy to the problem I'm having, but as it stands, I can't do that.

Crate a local game?

K4on
2013-06-30, 22:47
Rhino;1908987']Crate a local game?

someone didnt read our testing procedure.

its not possible with the beta rhino :)

F33bz
2013-07-01, 03:29
I tested wheeled helis on an empty euro server. Just have to treat them exactly like taxi'ing a jet and you'll catch on very quickly.

Now if only I could get my hands on a HIND. :(

PLODDITHANLEY
2013-07-01, 08:31
I had a go on the Russian trans and Havok didn't seem too hard with a mouse.

Rhino
2013-07-01, 10:11
K4on;1909000']someone didnt read our testing procedure.

its not possible with the beta rhino :)

Nope, been super busy with r/l stuff this weekend I haven't been able to even play the OB yet :(

Steeps
2013-07-01, 13:36
Is there any possibility of adding a deadzone to the wheels? Like a certain point where if you stop, it will stop rolling. It's really frustrating to have to constantly fight a helicopter just to stay on a landing pad. It's pretty much impossible to stop the Chinese Mi-17 from rolling everywhere.

rPoXoTauJIo
2013-07-01, 19:56
^^This.
It's not normal when you trying to find a wall or barrier on helipad to stop a helicopter from rolling.

40mmrain
2013-07-02, 01:03
use the pitch control to control your helicopter, if you pitch up, youll taxi backwards.

Steeps
2013-07-02, 01:33
Well yes, but there's no need to constantly be moving my mouse to get a helicopter to sit still. If I let go of my mouse, the helicopter will roll forward way too much.

F33bz
2013-07-02, 07:46
throttle also affects forward/backward movement. Even the slightest tilt has it rolling forward and it's a bit of a pain for those who use an actual throttle controller.

camo
2013-07-02, 08:14
the chinese Zhi-9 or dauphin seems very prone to rolling, i watched them crash 3 times in one match due to someone trying to turn it around on the landing pad and have it flip over

Rhino
2013-07-02, 08:38
Is there any possibility of adding a deadzone to the wheels? Like a certain point where if you stop, it will stop rolling. It's really frustrating to have to constantly fight a helicopter just to stay on a landing pad. It's pretty much impossible to stop the Chinese Mi-17 from rolling everywhere.

Not that I can think of no, with still keeping rolling wheels.

Well yes, but there's no need to constantly be moving my mouse to get a helicopter to sit still. If I let go of my mouse, the helicopter will roll forward way too much.

I fly with a joystick so isn't so hard for me to manage the ground movement but for a mouse, I can't even see how people fly properly with them in the air so can see how it can be difficult to control movement on the ground with them :p

throttle also affects forward/backward movement. Even the slightest tilt has it rolling forward and it's a bit of a pain for those who use an actual throttle controller.

Actually having a proper throttle controller makes it far easier to control than keyboard with no-input as the throttle affects movement even with 0 input on some choppers, especially the ones that sit on a tilt on the ground like the Apache and most other attack choppers and you can manage it with a little throttle input, even on the choppers that are not at an angle you can too.

the chinese Zhi-9 or dauphin seems very prone to rolling, i watched them crash 3 times in one match due to someone trying to turn it around on the landing pad and have it flip over

Ye the Zhi-9 and Panther series are pretty prone to flipping if you turn sharply on the ground but that's mostly down to their r/l, three wheel design with the single wheel being at the front :p

Once you get use to it and respect it I haven't had a problem but people are bound to flip it a lot at first especially with the new wheel system.

viirusiiseli
2013-07-02, 09:12
The wheel system is cool and all but it doesn't contribute that much into gameplay and it just seems to be causing more and more heli crashes, as if we didn't have enough of them already in mainbases.

Steeps
2013-07-02, 12:48
I can fly great with a mouse but the new rolling wheels are really throwing me off. It's impossible to not roll forward using a mouse to fly. I don't have a joystick so I don't know what it's like.

nAyo
2013-07-02, 20:57
The wheel system is cool and all but it doesn't contribute that much into gameplay and it just seems to be causing more and more heli crashes, as if we didn't have enough of them already in mainbases.
Yes indeed, and as steeps said they roll quite a lot, and when you accidentally hit the mouse when you're landed it'll instantly move, it is not very handy.

I think this is cool and well done but that's it, it brings nothing to the game and it is clearly useless, I really see no advantage of it.

I fly with a joystick so isn't so hard for me to manage the ground movement but for a mouse, I can't even see how people fly properly with them in the air so can see how it can be difficult to control movement on the ground with them :p
Here is the thing, almost no one fly choppers with a joystick... and as people already say with a mouse it is too sensitive and moves too much.

QCRulzz
2013-07-03, 02:48
Parking brakes.... OR only allow the wheels for turner left and right, not forward or backward. Flying is not as fun as it was with this...

StevenSqueelberg
2013-07-03, 05:31
Map your PITCH FORWARD and BACKWARD for helicopter controls to your UP and DOWN arrow keys just like for your jets. Once you land your chopper at main, just hold down the DOWN arrow key to hold in place. There you have it: parking brakes.

Rhino
2013-07-03, 11:04
Here is the thing, almost no one fly choppers with a joystick... and as people already say with a mouse it is too sensitive and moves too much.

Give it some time to get use to it, from the feedback I've had so far a lot of people like the feature. Just like flying a chopper, its going to take time to get use to it.

Parking brakes.... OR only allow the wheels for turner left and right, not forward or backward. Flying is not as fun as it was with this...

As said above, no known way right now of coding a "parking brake" but we may try and look into it.

And on our new choppers like the Zhi-9 and Panther (https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f196-pr-highlights/118657-zhi-9-panther-helicopter-series.html) series, wheels that can rotate, do rotate. Only on old choppers, mainly vBF2 ones, where we can't change them without a full re-export are they static.

Map your PITCH FORWARD and BACKWARD for helicopter controls to your UP and DOWN arrow keys just like for your jets. Once you land your chopper at main, just hold down the DOWN arrow key to hold in place. There you have it: parking brakes.

This may work on some choppers but on most it will taxi you backwards.

corey19981
2013-07-03, 13:54
a quick workaround is to park your heli up against the nearest wall or fence. The heli will try to roll forward so it will just lean against the wall. it doesn't take damage. then when you want to use it just reverse and take off.

notmyingamename
2013-07-04, 08:51

i've just been tapping my reverse or getting out altogether. with one trans squad moving 49-50 players, communicating between squads, managing the squad itself and watching/marking the map, there's not much logic in diverting any focus towards staying still on the pad. that's just adding work, and there's enough of it already. i'll probably make a macro called chocks and call it done.

Gracler
2013-07-04, 18:15
Since I use a joystick it's not a problem... Just adjust the analogue throttle or bail out if you have to sit and wait on the pad for a while. The barrier also works well if needs be. Wheeled helicopters are the king of the sloped hills now since they can maneuver with the wheels on ground.

Mats391
2013-07-04, 18:19
i had a bit of time with it and i like it. i fly with keyboard+mouse and had no real problems to get the chopper to stop.

Ratface
2013-07-04, 18:26
I do like the ability to taxi, but as others have said taxing while you want to just hold still on a landing pad becomes kind of annoying. However, I have just started exiting the chopper and getting back in when called in for a mission, people only have to wait an extra minute but that means I don't accidentally crash into a wall or anything if I leave the computer for a minute :)

x-spades-x
2013-07-04, 18:49
My thing I hate is that when I land at base and rearm or wait for troops... I'd like to take a drink... check my phone, rest my fingers for a second lol, but cannot anymore because even at main you have to sit there and balance the chopper so it doesnt run people over or drift off somewhere crazy.

Rhino
2013-07-06, 14:14
Important

Right guys I'm going to do a new poll on this straight after the Open Beta is over so make sure you get some time on trying some wheeled choppers this weekend, as well as giving them a fair chance to try and get the hang of them, to see what they are like and then you'll all need to recast your votes in the new poll, since this poll was made for the PR:F test, and hopefully more people have had a chance to fly in the OB with it.

Cheers!

Mats391
2013-07-07, 11:28
after flying some more my opinion changed a bit. On chinese choppers everything is perfect, they dont move on even ground. But for the russian cow its horrible, you cant get it to stop and if you land at a slight angle you speed off like a car.
Would it be possible to have them only controlled when a certain weapon is selected?

nAyo
2013-07-07, 12:03
after flying some more my opinion changed a bit. On chinese choppers everything is perfect, they dont move on even ground. But for the russian cow its horrible, you cant get it to stop and if you land at a slight angle you speed off like a car.
Would it be possible to have them only controlled when a certain weapon is selected?
This, the russian cow is awful to fly. I took it today, flew it 3 minutes, couldn't even keep it stable on the ground (VERY REALISTIC when you know that it weighs 8 tons) and alt-F4ed because it was being super annoying.

Steeps
2013-07-07, 13:10

What? The Chinese Mi-17 does not stay still at all. Are you sure you tried the Mi-17 and not just the small helicopter?

Rhino
2013-07-07, 14:31
He probably means the Zhi-8KA (PLA Heavy Lift Chopper) and the Zhi-9B (PLA Light Lift Chopper).

I've flown the PLA Mi-17 quite a bit and didn't have any major issues with its wheels myself, felt like the other choppers? Haven't tried the Russian Mi-17s but they should be using the same code...

Also for anyone who might have missed this on the last page:
Rhino;1913713']Important

Right guys I'm going to do a new poll on this straight after the Open Beta is over so make sure you get some time on trying some wheeled choppers this weekend, as well as giving them a fair chance to try and get the hang of them, to see what they are like and then you'll all need to recast your votes in the new poll, since this poll was made for the PR:F test, and hopefully more people have had a chance to fly in the OB with it.

Cheers!

Heskey
2013-07-07, 19:08
I think it's a good achievement but it needs to be implemented better.

It seems to be that when 'idle' on the helipad, my chopper is sliding either backwards or forwards no matter where I put my mouse.

If I take my hand off it to type to a squad, it rolls into someone, or the barriers - which detracts from how competent a squad views me to be in being capable of ferrying them across the map.

Until it can be sorted, I don't think it's a core feature that'll be missed if it's temporarily removed.

Rhino
2013-07-08, 00:12
This Topic/Poll is now Closed. Please refer to this topic for the latest poll and discussion: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f254-vehicles/121276-helicopter-wheels-2b.html