PDA

View Full Version : Update Project Reality v0.4 Player Guide - Part One

eggman
2006-11-10, 01:29
Hey Folks,

We have a Project Reality player guide in development for v0.4. We had hoped to have more of it complete ahead of release day, but always intended to release it in "chunks".

Over the next few days we'll wrap up all the sections noted on the wiki.

Here's the link to the first chunk of content we have ready:
http://prguide.realitymod.com/

The sections that are marked "coming soon" should get filled out over the next couple of days.

Enjoy!

Randleman5102
2006-11-10, 01:31
Very nice. Well done. Can't wait to see final result.

dbzao
2006-11-10, 01:38
A small suggestion: when listing the load-outs, separate the keyboard number from the description. It's a little confusing, for example:

# 2 Pistol (2+1 magazines) - "two pistols?"
# 4 Fragmentation grenades x 2 - "four fragmentation grenades"

You could put a separator:

# 2 = Pistol (2+1 magazines)
# 4 = Fragmentation grenades x 2

Nice to read about the new stuff coming tomorrow.

dbzao
2006-11-10, 01:42
What's a "Field Dressing"?

Hfett
2006-11-10, 01:46
i want to know what is field dressing also?
is it somekind of camouflage thing?

Resjah
2006-11-10, 01:46
What's a "Field Dressing"?

Basically its a bandage to stop bleeding, but cannot heal you as a medic bag would.

eggman
2006-11-10, 01:48
yeah rgr, it's a one time use dressing for a small heal.. will buy you a little time to find a medic.

dbzao
2006-11-10, 01:49
Nice :D

And interesting to see the Insurgents faction with a lot of kits and different loadouts than regular army. I want a grapling hook! And the Molotov Cocktails! :D

Can we post typos here? I found one in "Class_System > Pickup Kits > US Pilot":

Certain rules are to be used when using the VIP kit is used

Copy_of_Blah
2006-11-10, 02:33
I think the term "chunk" should be replaced with "wad". It best describes the excitement we have.

Cerberus
2006-11-10, 02:46
Impressive

Griffon2-6
2006-11-10, 03:14
Sounds nice so far. Took me thirty minutes to read because the power went out in my area. Twice.

Skullening.Chris
2006-11-10, 03:58
A small suggestion: when listing the load-outs, separate the keyboard number from the description. It's a little confusing, for example:

# 2 Pistol (2+1 magazines) - "two pistols?"
# 4 Fragmentation grenades x 2 - "four fragmentation grenades"

You could put a separator:

# 2 = Pistol (2+1 magazines)
# 4 = Fragmentation grenades x 2

I agree, it is a bit confusing, I kept reading it as "four frag nades" and so on :???:

But anyhow, holy crap, SCAR-Hs!?!?!? Tear gas!??!? PKMs?!?!? G3A3s?!??! And best of all, KIT LIMITING!!! THANK YOU ;_; My excitement level just increased ten-fold!

eggman
2006-11-10, 03:59
hehe yeah we'll take a look at that

Reznja
2006-11-10, 05:41
Tickeling

JellyBelly
2006-11-10, 08:27
War veteran class for teh win ;)

Smurf
2006-11-10, 08:34
Kit limiting looks like a great leap forward! No more maps with just sniper and support kits. Keep up the great work guys.

Thunder
2006-11-10, 10:31
WOW im impressed guys keep up the good work

peace out.

Serbia Vlada cokolada
2006-11-10, 10:33
http://forum.multiplay.co.yu/images/smilies/notworthy.gif

Atandon
2006-11-10, 10:34
Excellent work! It's good that you guys are constantly keeping the community up to date (I'm sure the community appreciates everything that you have accomplished).

I have played this mod before, but unfortunately, my PC's processor and graphics card melted. I just rencently got a new PC with 7950GTX (or something along those lines) and a Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM (hopefully this should be enough8).

@topic, do the devs have an idea of how big the d/l would be?

Thanks,
Atandon

P.S. I'm new to the forums- just wanted to say a 'hi' to the Project Reality community. Once again, thanks for the effort everyone has put into this mod.

e-Gor
2006-11-10, 10:44
About 1.7Gb

Welcome to the forums! :)

myurko
2006-11-10, 10:47
In the guide you say that the spec ops class has optics. Is this now true of the chinese too.

JellyBelly
2006-11-10, 12:08
No. The only Sides whos SF class has optics is the British (C8 w/ Red Dot) and US (M4 w/Red Dot).

PhiR
2006-11-10, 12:09
The kit limiting part of the guide is pretty detailed but there is one mising point: the fact that requested kits spawn at your position [when the request is accepted]. At least that's what I guess happens from the "invisible kit bug" in the issues section.

The feature looks cool and appart from the actual limitation the way you have to request kits is good for gameplay: it puts pressure on players to be careful about "precious" weapons.

Fullforce
2006-11-10, 12:12
Thanks PhiR, fixed.

Eden
2006-11-10, 12:19
A Wiki WooHoo!

Can we help edit it?

edit: what on earth did you do to frac up the links so bad?

http://prguide.realitymod.com/index.php?title=Kit_Limiting

Should be

http://prguide.realitymod.com/Kit_Limiting

If it were working properly.

MrD
2006-11-10, 12:22
Whoever wrote that guide totally forgot to mention who authorises the kit requesting. is it the server AI, is it your teams commander (and without a commander no one can request kit therefore?

Bit of a glaring inconsistency in the blurb there!!!

PhiR
2006-11-10, 12:23
By the way, I'm wondering if it is possible to give up a limited kit ? Are there options in the como rose to request an unrestricted kit (or at least the default rifleman kit) ?

When spawning as sniper, I sometimes realize my team is pushing forward and a rifle would be much more useful so I just grab a dead guy's kit. In that case, what would happens with the limited kit ? Would it be instantly "freed" ? Would it then disappear from the ground ?

I know this is nit-picking but I'm a software engineer and I see a lot of potential "exploits" there :) Please do not take this as a criticism, I only mean to help!

PhiR
2006-11-10, 12:25
Whoever wrote that guide totally forgot to mention who authorises the kit requesting. is it the server AI, is it your teams commander (and without a commander no one can request kit therefore?

Bit of a glaring inconsistency in the blurb there!!!

It sounds like a simple limitation: first come, first served. There is no authorisation, you just ask and your request is either granted or denied, depending on the number of kits already issued.

Fullforce
2006-11-10, 12:27
The only way to "give up" a kit would be to find another kit on the ground and swap it for the current one.

EDIT:
Yeah, PhiR is correct - no one auths it, it is automatic.

e-Gor
2006-11-10, 12:28
Whoever wrote that guide totally forgot to mention who authorises the kit requesting. is it the server AI, is it your teams commander (and without a commander no one can request kit therefore?It's done by the server. Basically, if a kit's free you'll get it.

By the way, I'm wondering if it is possible to give up a limited kit ? Are there options in the como rose to request an unrestricted kit (or at least the default rifleman kit) ? No, there just isn't room in the comm rose for that. And anyway, we don't want to encourage people requesting, say, heavy AT when there's a tank around and then immediately switching back.When spawning as sniper, I sometimes realize my team is pushing forward and a rifle would be much more useful so I just grab a dead guy's kit. In that case, what would happens with the limited kit ? Would it be instantly "freed" ? Would it then disappear from the ground ?The kit remains on the ground (and still counts towards the limits) until it disappears after the usual time, at which point it's free for anyone to request it.

MrD
2006-11-10, 12:29
It sounds like a simple limitation: first come, first served. There is no authorisation, you just ask and your request is either granted or denied, depending on the number of kits already issued.

If it is commander, I see a little problem there. First hardly anyone is wanting to go commander in 0.322 and then in 0.4 no one would want to go as they would then invalidate themselves from picking a limitied kit themselves

Eden
2006-11-10, 12:30
Erm, i'm fairly sure your k/d ratio count towards whether you get the kit or not. (unless that was a bug? )

PhiR
2006-11-10, 12:35
e-Gor']It's done by the server. Basically, if a kit's free you'll get it.

No, there just isn't room in the comm rose for that. And anyway, we don't want to encourage people requesting, say, heavy AT when there's a tank around and then immediately switching back.The kit remains on the ground (and still counts towards the limits) until it disappears after the usual time, at which point it's free for anyone to request it.

Still more nit-picking, but what if someone else picks the kit up ? Is it still counted for your squad/team ? There are two cases here: someone from your team picks it up (possibly after tking you, think m95 in DC) or someone from the other team does.

My guess is the kit still counts for your squad/team, so if your precious sniper gets stolen by the bad guys, you have to go out and take it back :)

MrD
2006-11-10, 12:39
My guess is the kit still counts for your squad/team, so if your precious sniper gets stolen by the bad guys, you have to go out and take it back :)

I wonder if this will create arguing amongst a squad when your resident Sniperboy decides to grab the sniper kit and go CQB with the opponents, losing your kit in half a minute flat and having an enemy with double the snipers fighting you until they've stopped rolling around laughing and you've voted the offending Sniperboy off the battlefield for being a reetard?

e-Gor
2006-11-10, 12:46
My guess is the kit still counts for your squad/team, so if your precious sniper gets stolen by the bad guys, you have to go out and take it back :)Hmm, I didn't think of that. The kit will still count for your team even if the enemy has picked it up. I guess that should be changed really. Just a one line fix, but too late for 0.4.

Edit: Unless you guys think it's a good 'feature'?

e-Gor
2006-11-10, 12:48
Erm, i'm fairly sure your k/d ratio count towards whether you get the kit or not. (unless that was a bug? )That was a bug. But whether the kit is reserved for you or not does depend on how often you've died recently. So bad players can't hog the kits for the whole team. But it doesn't stop them requesting the kit if it's still available, so everyone still gets a go with the limited kits. :)

PhiR
2006-11-10, 13:12
e-Gor']Hmm, I didn't think of that. The kit will still count for your team even if the enemy has picked it up. I guess that should be changed really. Just a one line fix, but too late for 0.4.

Honestly we'll have to see how it plays out. But it might be a problem if, say, the other team sneaks up to your snipers and steal all your kits. You're stuck and they have all the snipers in the map. That could be a big balancing issue. On the other hand, not counting the kit might somehow loosen the kit limitation: it might be easier to go out and find an enemy sniper than grabbing your team's kit!

I don't know if it's doable but in some cases we might want to make the kit disappear when the player is killed (headshot/critical wound timeout) so as to prevent that kind of exploits. This would be the equivalent of locking heavy vehicules to a given team.

Another possibility would be to prevent the player who has lost a kit to the enemy from getting it again while they have it ? In this case the kit would not be counted against your own team limit, but the culprit would still be "punished". That should make players be cautious!

To summarize my views: a limited kit is a precious asset (that's obvious) and you and your team should be encouraged to make the best possible use of this asset. But online gaming being what it is, your team should not be punished for the mistakes you make.

MrD
2006-11-10, 13:16
The ability to reload another teams kit could be removed, therefore only giving the stolen kit limited use.

That would be the perfect answer.

I think it would be great to steal enemy limited weapons off their still warm but dead bodies and use their own weapnos against them.

If you have a game where each team only has individual sounding weapons, you are going to know very fast which direction the enemy is coming from. When you add in using the other teams weapons, can you really be sure that the guy to your side is on your side by only the sound of your armies issued kit?

00SoldierofFortune00
2006-11-10, 13:22
How did you guys make the grappling hooks work? I thought there was some kind of mess problem with regular battlefield that wasn't built into SF so that they could use it?

Mountaineer
#1 Knife
#2 Grappling hook
#3 AK-47 w/ open sights (4+1 magazines)
#4 RPG-7V w/1 HE round
Civilian clothing
No body armor

Mercenary
#1 Knife
#2 Beretta M9 w/ sound suppressor
#3 FN SCAR-H w/ optic sight (8+1 magazines)
#4 Fragmentation grenade x 2
#7 Night vision goggles
#8 Field dressing
Camouflage uniform
Body armor

DAMNNNN, I guess we will have no problem getting people to play as insurgents for the tournament and the game in general.

Clypp
2006-11-10, 13:48
Holy Awesomeness!

I hope my DSL is stable tommorow.

Why all the surprises? This could be hazardous to people with a weak heart!

MrD
2006-11-10, 13:50
I notice the combat engineer now doesn't have clays, but appears to have an explosive pack that suggest a larger explosion that before.

Am i right in assuming that you left click to drop and left click again to detonate? how much delay is there between the clicks, or have things slowed down considerably there?

Witnesses will attest to a scenario a few days ago where the whole enemy team were moving to cover behind a building prior to assaulting our last decent flag. Due to the enemy usage of smoke to cover their advance I was able to successively run round the corner into the midst of them and detonate my explosives taking out their entire team of 12 !!!!

[DVB] TRIggS
2006-11-10, 14:13
I wonder if this will create arguing amongst a squad when your resident Sniperboy decides to grab the sniper kit and go CQB with the opponents, losing your kit in half a minute flat and having an enemy with double the snipers fighting you until they've stopped rolling around laughing and you've voted the offending Sniperboy off the battlefield for being a reetard?

We should all be used to 5 to 10 snipers firing on us from .32, so 2 or 3 shouldnt be terrible. Its bad, but to veterans of PR were used to it.

-And on the topic of insurgents, it seem they have better weapons than some conventional armies. RPGs, SCAR-Hs, Grappling hooks, Tear gas launchers, even my fav weapon the G3A3

Duke
2006-11-10, 15:17
OMGZRZ. This looks so froobloin amazin. Good job on making the insurgents a desirable team, i thought that was gonna be near to imposible if the brits are included as well!

Only slightly disappointed to see the pilot kit is exclusive to xtract mode. Would be cool if it were present on airmaps, and they only have a chute and a pistol. It would stop people who cant use the assets taking them on impulse.

Hfett
2006-11-10, 15:42
I dont care about the brits now that we have insurgents =)

Ghostrider
2006-11-10, 15:45
e-Gor']Hmm, I didn't think of that. The kit will still count for your team even if the enemy has picked it up. I guess that should be changed really. Just a one line fix, but too late for 0.4.

e-Gor, I think that if you "fix" this the way you think, you will open a hole for exploits. Say my team wants many restricted kits, I only need to send one from my team to the other side, he starts requesting, we kill/revive him, and in the mean time, we "pass" the requested kits to the team that is taking advantage of the exploit.

I would say: Leave it as is.. if the person looses it and it gets "stolen" you can think of it as unaccounted equipment, etc..

There's always someone that dedicates his/her life into finding an exploit.

-Ghost

EDIT: It will also make the player that's using the limited kit to be more cautious, because if he/she looses it, then he/she won't be able to request it later, so it's a valid (and completely acceptable) side effect penalty ;)

R@ge
2006-11-10, 15:48
#4 DSA tear gas gun (4 rounds)

Anyone know how this will work???
i soppose you can't kill anyone with it???

Great work guys.. this is awesome...

Ghostrider
2006-11-10, 15:51
People, keep in mind that this thread is for an Update, and not a session to answer everything. If we do, then there won't be any surprices left when you get to play it ;)

Don't ruin it and stop asking questions :-P

-Ghost

eggman
2006-11-10, 17:30
Could we keep this on topic please?

While there are a lot of questions about the content in the player guide, having to filter through the "this server is better than that server" discussions (yet again) is really not productive for those of us wanting to address player guide content issues.

And as a result I've deleted anything that's even remotely off topic.

eggman
2006-11-10, 17:34
wrt "stealing enemy kits" .. hehe .. I like this "feature" and have known that this could be the case all along. We'll see how it "play tests" with general release and address issues from there.

Guardian[]B()b
2006-11-10, 17:41
Should really lock these things once they get so far off-topic :D or Mod should do some spanking...

Edit: oops thanks Mod - should have refreshed after I got back from lunch :D

Hitperson
2006-11-10, 17:49
this had me laughing

"QUARTERMASTER: Sorry, I already issued all of those kits. How about a whiskey?"

fuzzhead
2006-11-10, 18:01
i think the idea of stealing enemy limited kits is great!!! makes you value the kit more, and its like loosing an asset for the team if the enemy gets it.

Resjah
2006-11-10, 18:02
Haha, I stole Happy's sniper kit so many times :p

eggman
2006-11-10, 18:14
this had me laughing

"QUARTERMASTER: Sorry, I already issued all of those kits. How about a whiskey?"

hehe yeah. Guess what I was drinking when I reworded the error messages :p

There's going to be a lot of message spam from Kit Req. We'll hopefully swap it over to voice messages in the near future. But we tried to give the messages a lil bit of humor .. some fat guy with a cigar in his mouth and some bottles of whiskey under the table :D

Hitperson
2006-11-10, 18:22
eggman']hehe yeah. Guess what I was drinking when I reworded the error messages :p

There's going to be a lot of message spam from Kit Req. We'll hopefully swap it over to voice messages in the near future. But we tried to give the messages a lil bit of humor .. some fat guy with a cigar in his mouth and some bottles of whiskey under the table :D

you by any chance??

Fullforce
2006-11-10, 18:31
you by any chance??

This made me laugh.

Hitperson
2006-11-10, 19:01
Fullforce']This made me laugh.

it was just a question

if you like it so much put it in your sig.

Happy
2006-11-10, 20:05
#4 DSA tear gas gun (4 rounds)

Anyone know how this will work???
i soppose you can't kill anyone with it???

Great work guys.. this is awesome...
I don't think you can kill people with it but the effect makes you a sitting duck.

Rhino
2006-11-10, 20:43
Clypp']Holy Awesomeness!

I hope my DSL is stable tommorow.

Why all the surprises? This could be hazardous to people with a weak heart!

HAHA! we apologies for any missed betas you may have occurred while reading our updates :P

Xizor
2006-11-10, 21:00
Lol is it sad that I keep refreshing the page hoping for the "weapons" and "equipment" guides to appear? Just kidding, but I really would love to see them before tomorrow, although I guess it'll be a big surprise when I install the mod tomorrow!

By the way are we going to have to Add/Remove 0.32 like when 0.3 was released?

Evilhomer
2006-11-10, 21:42
I think it would be ebst said here to keep questions at bay until you have played 0.4. All of your questions will then be awnsered!

Weapons and FAQ should be going up tonight. Thats going to be a real pant-wetter let me tell you. Image heavy!

Fifty
2006-11-10, 23:31
This is all fantastic, cant wait until sunday when I get to play 0.4. It's almost like christmas was like when you where about ten years old.

Griffon2-6
2006-11-11, 00:53
Dude, BMP-3? BRDM-2? Either those are from USI or you guys have failed to tell us exactly how much work you've put in.

Mongolian_dude
2006-11-11, 00:55
Dude, BMP-3? BRDM-2? Either those are from USI or you guys have failed to tell us exactly how much work you've put in.

Thing i liked about USI was the way the attack choppers had a zoom on the cannons/vulcans. Now thats reality.

...mongol...

[PR]AC3421
2006-11-11, 01:12
I was just reading the "Bugs & known issues" part on the .4 guide and it has me concerned. There is alot of f**ked up shit there, lol. All be it each thing is rather small, but now I feel like im gonna be playing an incomplete game untill the fixes. wich hopefully all get fixed in .41

Death006
2006-11-11, 01:36
Oh great!!! I just looked at the bugs list and the molotov model is a smoke grenade!! WTF? What happens on impact? Deadly smoke? Or is there still fire? Pretty bummed out after finding that out. Now I look at it again and then BAM my eyes fly straight to the word IED. It too is represented by a proxy model! I thought the team showed off the model months ago!

I hope it'll still be cool. Some of the bugs are messed up though. The C4 thing I can handle, but a smoke grenade for a molotov? Come on guys, just rip a random skin of Arabic beer and put a tatered rag on it! (Although a correct one uses a cork and the rag is merely an ignition system, and does not double as a stopper, but thats another story) Then add a lighter putting the rag on fire. Voila!

I'd rather just see M67's. Still the RPG is pretty cool... (PLZ don't tell me thats represented by a eryx or something or I'll fricken hang myself!)

eggman
2006-11-11, 01:55
Y'all are not obliged to download it ;)

The IED and Molotov behave like their real world counterparts, just the models were not completed in time. Er.. well OK the Molotov effect needs some work hehe.

And the RPG is actually represented by a model of a dutch looking house.

And in terms of bugs.. yup there's some bugs, so for those of you concerned by that, I'd suggest you don't download it and wait for a patch in the future.

Griffon2-6
2006-11-11, 02:21
eggman']

Erm? A Wolfmaster prank?

Death006
2006-11-11, 02:25
eggman']Y'all are not obliged to download it ;)

The IED and Molotov behave like their real world counterparts, just the models were not completed in time. Er.. well OK the Molotov effect needs some work hehe.

And in terms of bugs.. yup there's some bugs, so for those of you concerned by that, I'd suggest you don't download it and wait for a patch in the future.

Oh, I'll be downloading it alright... hehe.:mrgreen: Why not introduce the stuff later and just keep with M67's right now? Was it the need for community input after playing? I'm sure I'll love it, just a tad put off by proxy models. I hope the next patch for PR gets it working with BF 1.41 and fixes the bugs.

I'll enjoy playing insurgent, BTW were the unlock models used, or did you guys make all the new weapon models independantly?

Griffon2-6
2006-11-11, 02:30
I want to point out that under factions, you stated that the PLAAF is the third largest Air Force in the world, with 400 000 in active duty, yet for the USAF, you stated that it is the largest airforce in the world, with 352 000 in active service.

BrokenArrow
2006-11-11, 03:00
Aircraft wise I believe.

Pollux
2006-11-11, 03:04
BrokenArrow']Aircraft wise I believe.

PLAAF pwns anyway.. :)

BrokenArrow
2006-11-11, 03:09
Haha yes, especially when you consider that those 2643 aircraft in their inventory probably aren't shiny new J-10s as depicted in BF2, but aircraft pushing 40.

IronTaxi
2006-11-11, 03:15
in answer to tear gas. its quite fun although im sure some arent gonna like it i cant wait to mess up a whole squad with that stuff... super fun acid trip and they dont stand a chance...haha... yeah thats gonna be fun... 24/7 police kit for me...(not to mention the room clearing autoshotgun!)

00SoldierofFortune00
2006-11-11, 03:43
Who gets the flashbang? Is that a hard question to answer, j/w.

Pollux
2006-11-11, 03:45
BrokenArrow']Haha yes, especially when you consider that those 2643 aircraft in their inventory probably aren't shiny new J-10s as depicted in BF2, but aircraft pushing 40.

nice, a desktop warrior

well, i dont know that and neither do you but i hope you one day will see them in action, so to say.. :-D

I just wish that china would gather up with north korea and make some use of their nukes.. 8)

Griffon2-6
2006-12-16, 02:28
I still don't get this Dutch-looking house thing, everything looks right from my perspective. Can someone get me a screenshot of what you're talking about?

OJ292
2006-12-24, 02:23
[QUOTE='[R-DEV]eggman'] Er.. well OK the Molotov effect needs some work hehe.
You can say that again - it needs a delay before it goes off because of one reason.
Ok, this is what I don't like about it: For example, if I want to bounce it off a wall, I can't just do this because if I am too close I will be burnt which means I have to stand back, which therefore means that I have more chance of screwing the throw up.
Kapish!

[DVB] TRIggS
2006-12-24, 03:06
if you boucne it off a wall it will break. its glass. although there is no way to give it those properties.

G.Drew
2006-12-25, 12:46
we need the IED to have its model, because i always wanted to fk up an enemies plan by blowing up there lead vehicle and making a big hole in the road

also when is the LAW 80 going to be introduced?

G.Drew
2006-12-25, 12:53
nice, a desktop warrior

well, i dont know that and neither do you but i hope you one day will see them in action, so to say.. :-D

I just wish that china would gather up with north korea and make some use of their nukes.. 8)
go get help because that just something u DONT want to say
u want ANOTHER war? sick bstrd