PDA

View Full Version : Enemy laser designators attracting friendly weapons

EliteOperator01
2012-03-16, 12:09
One frustrating thing on maps like Kashan is that very often the enemy takes out their laser designator and guides bombs from the other teams jets onto targets. That doesn't seem realistic at all considering that the laser IRL is probably coded etc. Plenty of TKs happen from friendly CAS as a result of this. I was wondering if it was a glitch that has always been around, or intentional? Do the Rdevs plan on removing this if possible? What do you fellow players think ? Cheers see you on the front ... unless punkbuster b heartbeats prevents that.

EliteOperator01
2012-03-17, 03:17
This is one frustrating thing about PR I was wondering what you guys thought about it. Being able to direct enemy bombs onto enemy positions with my laser designator isn't realistic. Is this something the Devs will change in the future release ? What do you guys think?

MaSSive
2012-03-17, 03:39
Yeah its a bugger. Honestly I dont know if this can be "fixed".

Maverick
2012-03-17, 03:39
Well IRL, I think the pilots know what their aiming at, but there's no way to tell if it's an enemy lase or not, you just don't know, and modern jets don't "dive" WWII style like back in the day.

MaSSive
2012-03-17, 03:49
I dont know how exactly laser guided systems operate and if its possible to distinguish if its enemy laser or friendly one.

What I do know is that it is not needed to have a lock on it. Only thing that is needed to do is to launch ( in case of guided bombs or missiles launched from aircraft ) near the "painted zone" and missile will detect laser beam spread and adjust its trajectory towards target.

There are different systems used in different armies, and I just dont know exactly which one PR uses for all factions, so Im not able to comment further.

Something to read

Laser guidance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_guidance)
Laser Guided Bombs - Smart Weapons (http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/smart/lgb.htm)
http://www.nd.edu/~techrev/Archive/Spring2002/a9.html

MrTomRobs
2012-03-17, 11:15
That's an interesting point, i'd imagine that lazes would be of varying frequencies and the guidance systems would be fitted to look out for a specific frequency range? If i'm completely wrong i suppose the whole gameplay>realism issues might come into some sort of argument here for implementation...

spiked_rye
2012-03-17, 12:29
I should imagine the laser pulses a high frequency code so that you can't destract it with a laser of the same frequency.

Hitperson
2012-03-17, 12:36
That's an interesting point, i'd imagine that lazes would be of varying frequencies and the guidance systems would be fitted to look out for a specific frequency range? If i'm completely wrong i suppose the whole gameplay>realism issues might come into some sort of argument here for implementation...

i would work on that assumption it would make sense to have them operate on a specific frequency to avoid this scenario.

Alex6714
2012-03-17, 19:38
I am pretty sure most advanced lases are coded so only the projectile with the code track it.

Otherwise all hell would break loose if more than one Apache wanted to fire a hellfire etc.

saXoni
2012-03-17, 20:24
Flying by once to check how many lasers there are in the area is always helpful. If the request isn't urgent, that is. Still better safe than sorry, though.

Arnoldio
2012-03-17, 22:52
Irl probably all locks have their separate "codes" so it doesnt get messed up.

Xavo|xXx
2012-03-18, 12:29
I am pretty sure most advanced lases are coded so only the projectile with the code track it.

Otherwise all hell would break loose if more than one Apache wanted to fire a hellfire etc.

Yeah, but other Apaches can fire a missile for a target designated by another Apache.

Alex6714
2012-03-18, 14:24
Yeah, but other Apaches can fire a missile for a target designated by another Apache.

Of course, and I guess an Apache could lase for an F16 if it had a compatible pod, but only if both use the same code.

MrTomRobs
2012-04-14, 15:54
Come to think of it though, forward air controllers attached to operational units wouldn't be able to update their laser designators out in the field with a great deal of ease, and i suppose it would be too much hassle to keep updating munitions and pods to track for a different frequency every day, and eventually the enemy would be able to track the frequency that the enemy is using, so i'd imagine that the enemy would be able to see the friendly laze, if any of this makes sense?

TL;DR i actually reckon it's about right being able to see enemy lazes

ExNusquam
2012-04-14, 16:09
Actually, both hand held laser designators have the ability to change codes, as to aircraft mounted laser spot tracker. This allows for multiple lases to exist in a confined area, and still have all aircraft strike the correct targets.

MrTomRobs
2012-04-14, 18:03
Actually, both hand held laser designators have the ability to change codes, as to aircraft mounted laser spot tracker. This allows for multiple lases to exist in a confined area, and still have all aircraft strike the correct targets.

Aaaah fair enoughski, i forgot the extents of modern technology! :P But maybe there is the opportunity in real combat for the enemy to find the frequency that is being used and use a similar one for their own ends? Counter intelligence/electronic warfare sort of thing? But maybe that kind of thing is a but too over the head of your average boots on the ground thing?

What does everyone else reckon?

also - forum post promotion... yay! :P Shameless self bump...