project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Feedback Archives > PR v0.87 Feedback Forum
20 Mar 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2009, 04:23 PM   #1

Default Reasons I don't like Muttrah

Just a preface, I have a lot of appreciation for PR map-makers. I'm sure it's not an easy work and this post is meant as constructive criticism. I don't claim to know how to make maps better, I don't claim this is a "bad" map, and I have played this map (a lot) and have had some enjoyable moments. I just dislike it compared with many other maps.

Mainly because
  1. The streets are too empty. This is my biggest complaint. The streets in practically all areas of the map are way too empty, way too wide, way to clean - both of any obstacles and of any semblance of dirt. It's like a brand-new city, straight out of of the wrapping paper. This really diminishes from the enjoyment of firefights in the streets.
  2. Even worse, this is intensified by the fact many streets also have walls to one or two sides (the cottage areas), making it hard to impossible to take cover. Even non-enterable buildings but uneven walls - for example, with some depression where the door is - are better than these walls. Movement is further hampered in these areas by the fact it's sometimes hard for infantry to cross from street to street through the cottages.
  3. This problem is at its worst at the docks. Very large, open, completely flat ground between containers. Firefights there are rarely fun.
  4. The map feels very unbalanced in favor of the MEC forces. I think this problem has been discussed here before so I'll skip the details, but it's also an important point.
  5. The MEC fortress looks terrible. It's like a model from 30 years ago - everything (walls, floors, ceiling) has the same texture. I cannot describe how much I despise the textures there. As I have never seen any combat in the fortress it doesn't bother me so much, though.

While I'm at it, though, here are a few things I like about this map:
  1. The civilian cars around the city. It's a big map and it's nice that you can occasionally find those. It's especially nice that there's a bunch of them in the parking building by MEC main, it's great for people who have no ride from main. That parking lot is a really nice touch, it makes sense and it helps gameplay.
  2. Some areas are interesting to fight in - the big mosque for example, or the south-eastern "branch" of the docks.
  3. The hills around the city are nice. It gives the option of taking the "longer, safer route around", and although I personally dislike snipers on the hills, I think it's a good thing - it forces people deeper into the city and it's a good vantage point for the sniper to see enemy movements.
  4. Not all streets have walls around them, of course - there are a lot of enterable buildings and back alleys, specifically in the south city and east city center areas.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Reasons I don't like Muttrah

1. ye, as posted on the dev journal post for muttrah, never got round to finishing the detailing of the streets etc due to needing to meet deadlines for .8's release. My plan is to in the future to add detail etc to the steets.

2. quite realistic for the most part tbh, people dont want people from the streets jumping in there gardens
really you should not venture so much round these suburbs too much.

3. well the docks has to be really completely flat, they are made flat in real life for all the trucks, cranes etc to get over smoothly. as for the suburbs they could have a little terrain variation here and there thou would add a hell of a load of complication, did add some terrain variation to the suburbs in the south east of the map and took loads of time to get the roads, intersections just right with the terrain wasn't worth it.

4. the map isn't unbalanced or in favour to the MEC... some ppl think its the USMC, some people think its the MEC, its pretty well balanced right now tbh... can't be asked to go into why all over again just look at the other topics

5. textures and model needs a little work thou I did get Z to rush it a bit

Old 01-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #3

Aside from the overly clean streets, I love Muttrah. To me, it is the Karkand of PR (in the best urban map sense, not in the smacktard sense). Never have I seen so many enterable buildings in one map. Except for the overly clean streets, the map has plenty of places to take cover, set FOBs and rallies, and the urban environment is directly involved in the gameplay instead of being a mere ornament like the city maps in BF2.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:46 PM   #4

i hate that map. i dont see why others love it no ofence to the mapper that made it.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I've had bad and good rounds on this map and I think Rhino has done a good job on it especially with the time frame he was given. This map depends on the players, if you have one bad team it's a walkover for the other one.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Robbi Send a message via Skype™ to Robbi

one point and that is APC resupply, and that is all

Old 01-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to Proff3ssorXman Send a message via Skype™ to Proff3ssorXman

I like the fact that the US has to keep doing the unexpected to win or cap the flag.

For example, nearly all the MEC defences and fortifications are faced towards the carrier in expectation of an frontal assault. So if the US comes in from a completely different angle, either around the hills or from the MEC main then they can overwhelm the enemies defences from behind. If the MEC had any more heavy armour it would nearly be a similar style to Qwai, where the US are somewhat lightly armoured and very mobile whereas the PLA are heavily armoured and lacking in mobility (The tanks and APCs have absolutely no power and cannot go offroad nearly as well as the US)

Anyway, thats just my opinion. If you get a good team who knows how to fly the choppers properly then it is an extremely fun map.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:19 PM   #8

I think we can all honestly say that muttrah could have a lot of things done to it - but if it had had those things done to it... we wouldn't even be playing on it yet so i'm pretty glad that rhino didn't add street details. and personally i don't think those details would make the gameplay much better.. it would make the map look better yes -but the gameplay is in the houses and apartments.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Robbi187 View Post
one point and that is APC resupply, and that is all
I know, but at least the Repair/Ammo depots are spawning at the docks in .85

Old 01-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #10
Retired PR Developer

Yeah I think a very important rule of thumb is maps are never done just abandoned. 0.85 will include a major update to at least one map I know if

"apcs, like dogs can't look up" - Dr2B Rudd

buildings, criticism, hills, muttrah, reasons, streets