project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Squad Leader Tactics
23 Mar 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2007, 11:38 AM   #1

Default leading , literaly

i like to be on point so i can take the squad the way I want , because i just cant trust that a random person would know where to go, also the same in convoys , i LOVE being in a 2 wmik convoy on basrah , but because of the high speeds i like to be driving in the lead jeep , tho IRL the leader sits in the GPMG position , what do u guys do ? do u lead or put some one on point , and have u got hints on how to help the guy on point know where to go. i use the move marker alot, but still just cant trust some one else .

gazzthompson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:46 AM   #2

I try to get a point man but most times I am in front even though when I am not SL I'm always telling the SL to fall back and let someone else take point.

That is one of the great things about RP because if it is nearby the SL no longer has to hide in the bushes and be a spawn point.
ArmedDrunk&Angry is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to ReaperMAC Send a message via Skype™ to ReaperMAC

Im usually never on point as SL unless I have too (usually dont). I find it easier to have move markers and telling them why we are headed in that direction etc. Having a point man can offer several advantages:

1. You arent directly in the line of fire, not the first one taken out.
2. Point man can offer warnings in advance.
3. Gives you some time to think once you are in contact with the enemy instead of running for cover.
4. Easier to break contact if forces prove too strong for you and your squad.

If you get taken out first, your squad can get easily picked off and you lose your initiative when attacking your enemy, especially if you are quite far away from your rally point.

PR Test Team: Serious Business
[R-DEV]dbzao: My head Rhino.... (long pause) My beautiful head
[R-DEV]Rhino - If you want to spam do it in the tester area please.
Control the Media, Control the Mind.
ReaperMAC is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:40 PM   #4

I take the point often, because in PR the best way to get something done properly is to do it yourself. As much as a separate pointman would be useful, a lot of the time it just can't happen. Actually taking the point is often the best way to get the bunch of random sheep behind you to follow you (no offense to sheep). It also has an effect on the "morale" of the squad - if take the point and move decisively, your squadmates will usually follow.

daranz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:43 PM   #5

-I take lead sometimes when away from the front line but other than that I let a SM take lead. I think I'll change my tactics a little and have the point man go further ahead now though so there's a little more room to manouver if we make contact.
Tartantyco is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:05 PM   #6
PR:BF2 Developer

I usually drive the first vehicle in a convoy. Also drive tanks, rarely gun
I like driving tanks, becuase all others have no idea where to go, what to do, never realize, that I may cannot see, what they are looking, turret cant go down that low etc..

[R-DEV]Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:15 AM   #7
Supporting Member

As SL I drive lead and on foot I lead the squad with people just ahead or flanks.

Teek is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:11 AM   #8

Well, I'm SL for infantry squads, and I never take point. Always have a rifleman on point, even if I have a rally down. When I'm in a squad and the SL is always the first in, I'll plead with him/her to fall back until the area is secure.
onit is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:38 AM   #9
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

When I squad lead, I'm usually pretty close to the frontlines, but not pointman. I always tell someone to take point and where to go (if it's necessary). Especially in jungle maps, where the enemy can be lying down in the grass, waiting for you to show up. In those cases, I tell the point man to go first and the rest of the squad will follow a while later. Too bad we don't have them claymores anymore.. i loved the valley to the east on "Mao Valley" .

[R-DEV]AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:57 AM   #10
Ti_GER Niqo

When I'm SL, I almost never take point. If I have one of my clanmates in the squad, I tell him/her over TS, or if possible, via VOIP where to go, and I use the Nav markers a lot. I encourage my squad to move tactically, use the bounding overwatch (leapfrogging) as far as possible, depends on squad. Best Pos for the SL is either at the squads six, if expecting contact, or 2nd after the pointman, for the "leading" part and to guide fire. I personally prefer the six, because you can see your whole squad, and how they do, so u can give them direct orders.
Ti_GER Niqo is offline Reply With Quote

leading, literaly