project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
18 Mar 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:55 PM   #1
Default Complicated...New guys getting turned off

I may be stupid , But.
The game changes are friggin awsome but trying to talk my clan mates to check it out has left them confused and there fore they give up and fall back to the Vanilla.
You all need a post or have a heading that gives the first timmer all he needs to know to join a server and start killing. Id like to invent an autoinstaller for ya but again "Im Stupid" But a "getting started with PR" would help my efforts to build a team without needing a microsoft certification.
Then again I might be stupid.... and that already exists. LOL
Ive been called worse.
Steel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
[R-DEV]Dr Rank
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

We have a wiki:

Should answer all those gameplay questions

[R-DEV]Dr Rank is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:58 PM   #3

At the very top of the page is a button that says Guide. Also, when you install PR,it places a icon called New Players Guide or something
Lothrian is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:20 PM   #4

yeah, there is something already, it's called a player guide

seriously, some people are just lazy hehe. The trick is to learn bit by bit. I had actually played PR for a short while before I even realised to get sniper/support etc. I had to use T to request kit. It seems obvious now, but at the time I just didn't get what the guide meant.

I think these are the key things to know what's diff with PR over normal BF2:

- compounds are captured in a specific order to create better challenge (ie. no more sneaking round the back and stealing lonely bases).

- no regular crosshair, ammo count or health bar.

- weapons more realistic (less shots to kill).

- you bleed now so need to bandage or get medic assistance when shot (deteriorates if unattended)

- select kits can only be requested from main base or rally point using T (sniper, support etc.)

that's about it really. There's more stuff of course, but that you can learn as you go along. I think some people find the player guide too detailed, but I think that's a good thing. Perhaps though these quick points will help people understand what's different.

The only other thing I'd add for this 0.5 vs is the rally points for squad leaders (get into PR as SMs first so don't have to worry about this at first) and the crewman and pilot kits now. Coz the whole dying in vehicles or not being able to move forward is kinda confusing at first.

If you really want to just test stuff go into SP where you won't have elite snipers stalking you
Dark_Wolf is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:22 PM   #5

I think the guid is to labyrinthine for new players.
The full size of scattered infomation daunting them.

We need a quick tight guid with basic knowledge of new things they can do and things they can't.

l|Bubba|l is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:32 PM   #6
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to MrD

it's being worked on

[R-MOD]Mongolian Dude:
AH man, sarcasm is so hard to get across the web, even if we are both british
[R-DEV]Jaymz: That has to be...the most epic response to a welcome thread I have ever seen. [R-CON]Mr.D ladies and gentlemen!
MrD is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:40 PM   #7

But none of them set the requirements that one needs to JUST play the game.
I started with that and then read more postes and thought that I lacked things and by dloading the game had only touched on the things i needed to play online with ya all. I guess looking at the single player stuff realy screwed me up. Place thise file in this folder and let it over write the original , tends to make a laiman to computers cringe.. lol
The guids tell you the basics but with the million posts and updates it makes someone that wants to play correctly spend hours looking for answers .
I Play .5 and .6 with no problems revivant to getting started but from the forums question whether im currant as to where PR is.
Steel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:47 PM   #8
The [R-MOD]s' Poodle

Lol..... that Wiki pretty much explains everything you need to "JUST" play the game. It does get pretty annoying for the vets when you have 3 guys stood at the air base asking why they keep dying when they get in a jet or why their sniper kit isn't appearing on the menu.

eddie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:52 PM   #9

Thats where Im at... I dont want to be annoying but do wanna play without 20 hours of reading and training.
I find that the reading is worth the effort and the players very helpfull (unless there testing ranges, LOL ) but wish I could refer my friends to a simple guide thats not so deep to get them addicted like I am.

Dark_wolf, Sir
You make it sound so
But , In the effort to recruit my fellow,Lazy,Stupid and crude friends they got turned off by the mass of reading they had to do.

I infact hate to read off screen and printed the guides and have 72 dollars of paper and ink im using to figure out how to get my friends to abandon the arcade bf-2 for this great mod.
The forum are full and dated in reguards to the progress thats been made and the reading tends to be irevilant to how things are now.
I sound like such a butt but my intentions are true.
Last edited by Steel; 06-20-2007 at 09:04 PM..
Old 06-20-2007, 08:52 PM   #10

what do you mean about replacing files here and there? I know some SP maps don't work, but you only need one to work to try just see how PR looks and handles.

Those 5 quick points I mentioned above is all you need to understand what PR is. Sure there are more rules and specifics with kit etc. but I think those are the main difference between PR and normal BF2.

It's really not that complicated. Fair enough if you're not english it may seem somewhat daunting, but I found that reading the guide a bit then playing and then re-reading helps to get into it.

Sometimes you don't quite understand things (even in normal life) until you experience them yourself.

your friends have the advantage of having you who can explain things they don't get more clearly and work with them in a squad.
Dark_Wolf is offline Reply With Quote

complicatednew, guys, turned