project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > PR Highlights
24 Mar 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR Highlights Highlights of what work the Devs are currently working on

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2011, 02:30 AM   #1
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Vadso City (4km)

Later this month Project Reality will be releasing a map pack for version 0.973 of its highly acclaimed modification to Battlefield 2. The map pack will be chock full of maps, with 4 brand new locations and 3 old favorites that have been given fresh, new updates. This highlight introduces one of the new maps as we wait for the upcoming release in mid-December.

Name: Vadso City
Factions: Russia vs GB
Size: 4km

We're also happy to share portions of a short interview with the map's creator, [R-CON]pleym, by PR's media guy, [R-CON]psychickactivity.

So "Vadso City" is a map taking place in Norway but tell us a bit more about it. What are the factions in action? What are we going to find? Which assets will be seen?

Vadso is the capital in the county of Finnmark, Norway. The area offers a lot of varied terrain that requires a lot of different tactics to control it. The factions in action are the British Armed Forces (place holder for the Norwegian Forces) vs. the Russian Army/Navy. You will find miscellaneous assets on this map as it all depends on what layer is chosen, but it includes everything from attack helicopters to motorcycles.

The map is based on a real place but with great modifications to make it fit into the game and be gameplay friendly. In real life the dam is a little river, but since Norway gets 97% of its electrical power from hydroelectric power plants I wanted to include one on the map. The NATO radar station is actually in the town next to Vadso, but it was a great thing to add to the map for sake of the infantry and uniqueness. The town itself is placed on its real location but is probably 1/6 of the real size. The surrounding terrain is based on the City of Vadso's location with input from typical Norwegian environments like skerries, inland pine forest, open plains, islands, huge bare mountains, etc.

How long did you take to make this map? Did you encounter problems of any kind?

I started creating it on December 23, 2010 because I was home with the flu and bored to death, so I was basically alternating between mapping and wiping snot. :P

It's not for nothing that it took me a year to make it because placing houses on sloping terrain is a pain in the butt, it would have been a lot easier if the houses had deeper foundation walls.. but I manged to get it done in the end. My vision was to provide cover using the terrain since trees and houses wouldn't be enough to provide cover for the infantry.

Why did you choose this location?

I chose the area because I was quite familiar with it and thought it would help me with the mapping. But it's also because it offers varied terrain and forces players to find new tactics. You have a mix between air, land and sea assault so there is more than one way to reach your destination and defeat your enemy.

Sounds fun. Thanks pleym and congratulations on having it included in the upcoming map pack.

This highlight is part 2 of 4 for the upcoming 0.973 map pack.
Be sure to check back in a few days for information about another map and mapper.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:39 AM   #2

Default Re: Vadso City (4km)

Actually looks pretty fun to play. Nice work.

Please tell me you're adding boats as well.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:59 AM   #3
Supporting Member

There are boats, lots of them.

I just hope the asset imbalance has been sorted out upon release.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:17 AM   #4

Looks great. Well done. Looking forward to them. Vadso City looks like a great mixed forces map.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to Oskar

This map is beautiful, I would gladly go live there. Even with BF2's dated graphics, it feels like a real place to me.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

really awesome map! detailed city, you have the feeling that there is actually living someone. The "easter eggs" (which I will not name) are a nice variety in this old game. Another great fact is the asymmetric balance with the havoc and the tank (beirut like). The countryside is perfect. There are some nice places to fight about, wich some undergrounds

Originally Posted by dtacs View Post
I think the assets are really balanced. The apc's have their own fight. The AA-vehicle is facing the havoc and the challenger 2 is having fun with the spandrel or the BMP. Okay the GB HAT is better. And asymmetric balance is so awesome. Both teams have a base on the island/land and can resupply from there.

For the really cool guys:

thanks for such a great win!

Old 12-04-2011, 07:53 AM   #7

I shot the havoc with a scimi on this map
Old 12-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #8
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by dtacs View Post
There are boats, lots of them.

nah, we did the Beta test for a laugh, actually fixing issues found in it wasn't the point :P

Old 12-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #9
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rudd View Post
nah, we did the Beta test for a laugh, actually fixing issues found in it wasn't the point :P
Level 10 trolling.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #10

Very nice map. I especially like the area around the island with the lighthouse. Need to add collision mesh to the lighthouse guard rail though; I don't think they are up to Norwegian safety regulations. :P
Closed Thread

4km, city, vadso