project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Suggestions Archives
18 Apr 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

View Poll Results: Which New Force?
PMC (Mercenaries) 12 12.12%
Germany Bundeswher 15 15.15%
Russia 29 29.29%
Canada 17 17.17%
IDF Isreal 26 26.26%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2007, 11:13 PM   #21
Desertfox

Why canada?

Following the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001 in the United States, Canada was the third largest contributor to the invasion of Afghanistan, after the United States and the United Kingdom.

2001-2002

After the attacks on September 11, 2001, the Canadian Forces immediately deployed its elite Special Operations unit Joint Task Force Two. It was used in a vital role in calling airstrikes and directly confronting al-Qaeda and Taliban positions. Once the regular forces were on the ground in January-February 2002 the Canadians were used supporting the war effort until Operation Anaconda began. During the operation, a Canadian sniper team broke, and re-broke, the kill record for a long distance sniper kill set in the Vietnam War by an American Marine. Operation Anaconda was also the first time since the Korean War the Canadian soldiers relieved American soldiers in a combat operation. On April 18, 2002, an American F-16 jet accidentally dropped a laser guided bomb on a group of Canadian soldiers who were conducting night time training on a known live fire range, after mistaking the gunfire for Taliban insurgents. Four Canadians were killed and eight were wounded in the bombing.

2002-2005

In 2003, the Canadian Forces moved to the northern city of Kabul where it became the commanding nation of the newly formed ISAF. In the spring of 2005 it was announced that the Canadian Forces would move back to the volatile Kandahar province as the US forces handed command to the Canadians in the region.

2006-Present
Canadian soldiers fire a C6 GPMG at Taliban fighters in Panjwaii.
Canadian soldiers fire a C6 GPMG at Taliban fighters in Panjwaii.
Canadian soldiers in a firefight with Taliban militants in Southern Afghanistan.
Canadian soldiers in a firefight with Taliban militants in Southern Afghanistan.

Main article: Battle of Panjwaii

When the Canadian Forces returned to Kandahar after being deployed to Kabul in 2003, the Taliban began a major offensive and the Canadians were caught in the middle. After a spring in which a record number of attacks against Canadian soldiers had been set, which included six deaths to the CF, the Taliban in Kandahar and Helmand provinces were massing and Operation Mountain Thrust was launched in the beginning of the summer. Canadians were one of the leading combatants and the first fighting when the Battle of Panjwaii took place. Complex mud-walled compounds made the rural Panjwaii district take on an almost urban style of fighting in some places. Daily firefights, artillery bombardments, and allied airstrikes turned the tides of the battle in favour of the Canadians.

After Operation Mountain Thrust came to an end, Taliban fighters flooded back into the Panjwaii district in numbers that had not been seen yet in a single area in the "post Anaconda" war. The Canadian Forces, which came under NATO command at the end of July, launched Operation Medusa in an attempt to clear the areas of Taliban fighters once and for all. The fighting of Operation Medusa led the way to the second, and most fierce Battle of Panjwaii in which daily gun-battles, ambushes, and mortar/rocket attacks were targeting the Canadian troops. The Taliban had massed with an estimated 1,500 to 2,000 fighters. The Taliban were reluctant to give up the area, and after being surrounded by the Canadian Forces, they dug in and fought a more conventional style battle. After weeks of fighting, the Taliban had been cleared from the Panjwaii area and Canadian reconstruction efforts in the area began. On November 1, 2006 Dutch Major-General Ton Van Loon took over NATO Regional Command South in Afghanistan for a six months period from the Canadians. [2] Since the war began in 2001, the Canadian Forces have suffered forty-four killed and more than 200 wounded. A Canadian diplomat has also been killed.

* Canada has assisted in the collection, storage and decommissioning of 10,000 heavy weapons left in Afghanistan including artillery, tanks and rocket launchers, used in decades of conflict in the country.[4]
* Canada has helped clear about one third of the estimated 10 to 15 million mines in Afghanistan.[4]
* Canada has loaned money to over 140,000 people in Afghanistan.[4]
* Canada has helped train the Afghan police and army.[4]

Go canada!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:19 PM   #22
Hfett
PR Mapper Team
PR Server License Administrator

Send a message via MSN to Hfett Send a message via Skype™ to Hfett

I would play with any faction they add to the mod, but right now the team should focus on the o.6 and the rest of the british stuff, then start adding things like new factions and toys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:05 AM   #23
Freshmeat

Send a message via MSN to Freshmeat

I would like to see ethir IDF or Russia
Old 02-16-2007, 03:38 AM   #24
Dylan

Send a message via MSN to Dylan

I would personally like the IDF Israeli's to take over the MEC spot. Seeing as how they do not exist, I would like a more suitable faction to take over its place. It seems the most logical choice than any of these because we have the statics for a middle eastern setting, not any for Canada, Germany, or Russia.

Its just my opinion, but it makes the most sense to me, but I know this will not happen, at least not until 1.0.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:49 AM   #25
Cyber-Couch

I'd like to see IDF, Germany, or Russia.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:54 AM   #26
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

ehhhh, once we have done the brits, and basicly done all we can in all the areas we can to the max or close to it, then we might consider putting in anouther army.

the work required for each new faction is far more than you would think and each time you add a new faction in, some of the things in the other factions will effect every single faction in the end. For exsample our L85A2 with SUSAT sight made us have to make scoped rifles for every team, and we still have not got any scoped G3s or M16s....

Old 02-16-2007, 03:56 AM   #27
00SoldierofFortune00

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-MOD]Dylan
I would personally like the IDF Israeli's to take over the MEC spot. Seeing as how they do not exist, I would like a more suitable faction to take over its place. It seems the most logical choice than any of these because we have the statics for a middle eastern setting, not any for Canada, Germany, or Russia.

Its just my opinion, but it makes the most sense to me, but I know this will not happen, at least not until 1.0.
That makes no sense. Since when would the US go up against Israel??? Just because it is more realistic too doesn't make it right.

"Push the Envelope, Watch It Bend"

Tool ~ Lateralus
Old 02-16-2007, 04:00 AM   #28
Dylan

Send a message via MSN to Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00SoldierofFortune00
That makes no sense. Since when would the US go up against Israel??? Just because it is more realistic too doesn't make it right.
Just think a hypothetical situation. Plus its on the poll choices, so don't argue with me.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:07 AM   #29
Eagle

I'd say Russia. Germany was done [badly?] in POE II. Canada would be good too, but as Seth said, I think there's as of yet, plenty left to do on the current armies.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:10 AM   #30
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
I'd say Russia. Germany was done [badly?] in POE II. Canada would be good too, but as Seth said, I think there's as of yet, plenty left to do on the current armies.
PoE2 have done a wonderful job and also OPK has the german army in it both mods are really good!

not that they strive for the same level of realisum as we do but you cant say there work is just "crap" cos they have gone for a diffrent type of game style.

Tags
force, poll, suggestion