project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Suggestions Archives
26 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2007, 05:37 PM   #21
Uoy Dellik

Hmm... it seems like some people misinterpreted my post.

Honestly, I dont think it would have any real effect in gameplay what-so-ever.

Think about it, with the bullet drop and the delay time you would have to be standing still for atleast 2 seconds to hit the target... and thats only at 300m.
It would be mostly for effecting the tank-versus-air aspect.
For all those people who think it would be unbalanced... try hitting a target now at 350m. The person who gets the kill is either really good or the person getting killed is really stupid. Ranges beyond that (for sniping) would probably be quite hard.

For the fan base with low-end hardware lets try to think of it this way.

THIS IS ALL FOR EXAMPLE!
I'll Call it the view distance scale.
-Al-Basrah's normal view distance is 400m
-Mao Valleys normal view distance is 200m
-Strike at Karkands normal view distance is 75m

In The Graduated scale version.
-Al Basrah's View distance is 1000m
-Mao Valley's is 500m
-Karkand is 188m

With this scale and for low end users... players can set the scale to what they want so if you have a low end hardware you can set your view distance to 40% and get the normal view distance. If you only want a little bit better set it to 60%, or if you can't handle it now set it to 40%

The one flaw I know do see in this is that sniping on smaller maps with an increased view distance will be a huge advantage to the user with longer view.
All I can say is don't play bad vanilla maps, sniping is decently hard at any range above 200m so you will have less to worry about and, in maps like mao valley, the natural "fog of war" which would be foilage, would probably hinder sniping in some aspects all together.

I'm sure some kind of compromise could be made, and if some kind of balance could be found between view distance and gameplay it would be great.

And as a by the way, I'm pretty sure the view distance doesn't effect server side very much, as graphics dont mean as much, only where the bullets going.
Last edited by Uoy Dellik; 02-12-2007 at 05:54 PM..
Old 02-12-2007, 05:37 PM   #22
k30dxedle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surround
But maps like Karkand it's jsut retarded to not see over 75m.

Tehehehe.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:38 PM   #23
Determined

If your looking for more ways of making Muttrah impossible for the US, this is the answer. Poor bastards can't land or take flags now. You take away fog and they won't be taking off the deck of the carrier either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Clan Name: [:NET:]Boondock Saint
Pub Name: Determined
Old 02-12-2007, 05:39 PM   #24
Uoy Dellik

thanks desert fox, i was typing my post which was quite similar to yours at the same time, and i havent been able to check my post till just now...

And the fact that they cant land is just a gameplay issue (i feel muttrah should be like a vanilla conquest mode, just with less points so that its easier for mec to defend) and an increase in view distance could easily be solved by orienting the aircraft carrier so it is quite hard to see onto the deck... making it perpendicular to the shore with the aircraft on the far end.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:59 PM   #25
solodude23

Send a message via AIM to solodude23 Send a message via Yahoo to solodude23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertfox
Let me re-cap and add my own revisions to his first post because it seems like you didnt look at it.

Take for instance a 500M view distance map, increase said view distance by 50% and you now have a 750M view distance map. Whats that you say? To far and to much to handle for lower end computers? Fear not! If they increase the maps by 50% and nothing more nothing less all the player has to do is turn down there view distance to 50% and its back to normal for EVERY map.

Now for the watered down version

If you increase every map by 50% then all the player has to do is turn his view distance down to 50% and its normal for low end computers.
That would not be fair whatsoever for the players who have to lower their view distance.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:29 PM   #26
WNxKenwayy

Um, I've played on the increased view distance Gulf Of oman. I was hitting players on the carrier with the SVD.....let me say that again, I was hitting them from the shore to the carrier with the MARKSMEN RIFLE. Granted I had to use bino's to line up the shot, but still. I can easily smack someone at max draw distance if they are standing still, and with enough rounds from a fixed position can get a decent ratio of hitting them on the move. With the new double zoom it's even more retarded.

Granted, that isn't something most people can do. But all it takes is one really good sniper and the US on a carrier map would be fuxed.

Also keep in mind that only I'd say about 50% of statics draw in at ranges beyond 300m, beyond that you basicly have the solid terrain, and large objects like buildings.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:36 AM   #27
ValerioZ.[ITA]

Send a message via MSN to ValerioZ.[ITA]

increment of distance of sight in the 0,6 would want a lot to us. Or something similar one
Old 02-13-2007, 11:40 AM   #28
Determined

I understand where he is going. Obviously on maps like Muttrah or Oman it would only be altered slightly, but on other maps maybe a bit more. I dunno, the only time I get frustrated by it is when I fly. It's like freakin soup up there. Though that is probably a good thing because the chopper would probably be an even more devastating weapon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:51 AM   #29
Biggaayal
Default view distance.

The proposal is fantasy imo. The engine will not allow it. Everyone wants long view distance, but it would definitely kill project reality to up the needed PC specs even more. As it is PR is already more taxing then vanilla.

What bothers me a lot more is grass that disappears at long distance. Just as a fait divers: remark the excellent job Kilrogg has done on Inishail forest. When he made it he was specifically paying attention to this problem. If you pay attention, you will notice how the map uses elevation and trees to completely eradicate the problem for that map. That is good design!
If people make long vistas in maps, I suggest they always use desert with only larger bushes that have a longer view distance, or grassland with only low grass that doesn't really obstruct the view.

Increasing view distance will make the problem I just brought up worse. You could never hide in any foliage, as a sniper on the other side of the map wouldn't even see it and just headshot your concealed *ss.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:18 PM   #30
Determined

The in game fog and view distance restrictions are there to both simulate distance and keep from overtaxing your system. I'm not sure lifting that fog would have a positive impact on gameplay.

Tags
distance, increase, view