project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Suggestions Archives
24 Apr 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2007, 08:39 AM   #11
{XG} non_compliance

wow... that video is awesome! I wonder if you could score hits at that distance though....
Old 02-12-2007, 11:28 AM   #12
liikeri

lets do that

and after that every one playing pr have to invest 5000€/$ on their gaming equipment. lets say c2q and quad crossfire r600uber edition would propably be enough for every one. and at least 10/10Mb/s netlines. and everyone donates another 5000 for good servers to hadle that.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:38 AM   #13
mattcrwi
Send a message via AIM to mattcrwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]eggman
Our current goals around this aspect of the game are 4km maps with 800m view distance.

There's a lot of issues there.. once you get above 500m or so things start to get wiggy.. we're gonna see if we can sort it out.

Completely agree tho. Won't work for urban maps due to statics and such.. but we certainly would like to create some large maps with very long view distances.
"wiggy"... is that a technical term egg?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:58 AM   #14
<<SpanishSurfer>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]DJJ-Terror
we all would like a large wiev distance in PR/BF2, but todays hardware can't handle it.
We got to live with that.
Todays hardware can handle that and more but with different games. Games with great developers. Far Cry, HL2, etc.

"Get lost, support your Coast Guard."
Old 02-12-2007, 12:02 PM   #15
Duke
Retired Developer

God PR would be an absolute dream with the kind of view distance on the vid.

Just out of interest can anyone tell me what the view distance on the vid is (roughly)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[R-DEV]Eggman - At one point it said Realtitty which I think was a Freudian...
Old 02-12-2007, 12:05 PM   #16
Determined

Never knew how beautiful that map really was. Flying a chopper in the standard version of it is like flying through soup.

I think it would be a great idea, but maybe only on a map made specifically with that feature in mind. Otherwise You will be getting camped at your main, from the enemies main. You simply can't reflect real viewing distances in this game. Your playing on a map thats only so big. Real battles can take place over several miles worth of territory. No way to make that real in game.

Besides, you think it's hard to get a sniper or DM kit now? lol

Clan Name: [:NET:]Boondock Saint
Pub Name: Determined
Old 02-12-2007, 12:13 PM   #17
Clypp

Send a message via AIM to Clypp Send a message via MSN to Clypp

Quote:
Originally Posted by <<SpanishSurfer>>
Todays hardware can handle that and more but with different games. Games with great developers. Far Cry, HL2, etc.
False. The Source engine has a hard time rendering large open areas. Far cry does have long viewing distance though.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:17 PM   #18
liikeri

lets do that

and after that every one playing pr have to invest 5000€/$ on their gaming equipment. lets say c2q and quad crossfire r600uber edition would propably be enough for every one. and at least 10/10Mb/s netlines. and everyone donates another 5000 for good servers to hadle that.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:17 PM   #19
Mekstizzle

I'm sure if there was a real big map with minimal statics/buildings a very large view distance could be acheived. Al Basrah is laggy because it's a city map and a rural map combined into one, throwing in a large view distance and loads of vehicles = lag fest. Hell i think Greasy Mullet is the only large/rural map with heavy vehicles for both sides. More of those types of maps are needed imo. Gulf of Oman is a joke and Al Basrah is an insurgent map. The PLA/MEC aircraft and heavy vehicles are really under used.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:34 PM   #20
Desertfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by liikeri
lets do that

Let me re-cap and add my own revisions to his first post because it seems like you didnt look at it.

Take for instance a 500M view distance map, increase said view distance by 50% and you now have a 750M view distance map. Whats that you say? To far and to much to handle for lower end computers? Fear not! If they increase the maps by 50% and nothing more nothing less all the player has to do is turn down there view distance to 50% and its back to normal for EVERY map.

Now for the watered down version

If you increase every map by 50% then all the player has to do is turn his view distance down to 50% and its normal for low end computers.

Tags
distance, increase, view