project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Suggestions Archives
23 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2007, 04:32 PM   #11
lonelyjew

Weight has nothing to do with bullet drop and yes, it exists.

Thanks luizinhuu for the find

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People are hopelessly ignorant of their own ignorance.
-Me
Old 02-02-2007, 04:50 PM   #12
Lothrian

In RL weight has a lot to do with bullet drop - since is basically throwing a bullet (IE one burst of power, then it is falling over a distance).

IE If you shoot a brick it will not travel as far as if you shot a hollow plastic brick of the same size.

It is only part of which a complex formula to calculate it though. The point being, gravity has an effect.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:08 PM   #13
lonelyjew

I'm saying that for how long the damn thing is going to be in the air, there shouldn't be much of this effect. I don't think that a cm extra drop over 150m or more is significant enough to factor in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Me
Old 02-02-2007, 05:52 PM   #14
Leo

Trust me, there is bullet drop, to get expert sniper in my clan you have to get 7/8 (IIRC, something like that) headshots on Stolen Thunder (or something along those lines) and you have to aim above their heads to hit anything.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:04 PM   #15
Sneak Attack

Send a message via MSN to Sneak Attack

Kentucky windage BAHHHHHH im so glad some1 said that, makes me laugh when i say it.

but aaa bullet weight has nothing to do with drop. gravity pushes down on a marble just as hard as it does a bowling ball (with acceleration 9.8m/s). so if you shoot a .50 in a straight line and a 5.56 in a straight line (WITH NO AIR RESISTANCE) they will hit the ground at the same time. you can take a gun and shoot in a straight line with 1 hand and drop a bullet on the floor next to you with the other hand and both will hit the ground at the same time. only reason a .50 will go farther is because of air resistance.

i hated physics and this has been the only time in my life that i have used it in a classroom manner.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:10 PM   #16
RikiRude
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via AIM to RikiRude Send a message via MSN to RikiRude

Egg has some kind of formula he used to determin bullet drop for all bullet types i believe.

Proud n00b tub3r of 5 spam bots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]2Slick4U
That's like being the smartest kid with down syndrome.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:14 PM   #17
WNxKenwayy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneak Attack
Kentucky windage BAHHHHHH im so glad some1 said that, makes me laugh when i say it.

but aaa bullet weight has nothing to do with drop. gravity pushes down on a marble just as hard as it does a bowling ball (with acceleration 9.8m/s). so if you shoot a .50 in a straight line and a 5.56 in a straight line (WITH NO AIR RESISTANCE) they will hit the ground at the same time. you can take a gun and shoot in a straight line with 1 hand and drop a bullet on the floor next to you with the other hand and both will hit the ground at the same time. only reason a .50 will go farther is because of air resistance.

i hated physics and this has been the only time in my life that i have used it in a classroom manner.
the bullet weight affects its ability to keep its speed going, aka momentum. Muzzle velocity has very little to do with overall effective range. For example, the M107 has a muzzle velocity of roughly 910m/s, while the m4 has a muzzle velocity of roughly 990m/s, almost 100m/s faster. However, the effective range of point target for a m107 is 1500+m while a m4 is 400m-500m (depends on which TM you read).

The max range for the m107 is 6767m, while a m4 is a pitiful 3600m by comparision. But a 7.62mm in a m240 (m14) is 3250m. There is much more going on than simple bullet weight/muzzle velocity in determining how far a bullet will go.

AND FINALLY...yes there is bullet travel time + bullet drop in PR/bf2 series. That isn't a guess its a fact. Shoot at a man sized target at the max render range to see it if you want, use a sniper rifle. Have them go prone as well to make it even more evident. For a demonstration of travel time, shoot at a running target from 300m+.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:25 PM   #18
Sneak Attack

Send a message via MSN to Sneak Attack

good thing i said nothing about muzzle velocity and just spoke of air resistance, which determines momentum, without air resistance all bullets would travel at the same speed from the second they came out of the barrel to the second they hit the ground. i know there is bullet drop.

i was just saying that this sentence "In RL weight has a lot to do with bullet drop.
IE If you shoot a brick it will not travel as far as if you shot a hollow plastic brick of the same size. " it doesnt make any sense. weight doesnt effect drop, gravity and resistance do. and a normal brick will go farther then a plastic one.
(throw one of those plastic whiffle balls {without holes} and a regular baseball and the regular baseball will go alot farther because it has more momentum.)

Old 02-02-2007, 11:26 PM   #19
lonelyjew

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxKenwayy
the bullet weight affects its ability to keep its speed going, aka momentum. Muzzle velocity has very little to do with overall effective range.
That's great and all but that really doesn't have a place in project reality because we never fight at those ranges. The max distance, witch graphical glitches that make enemies stand out, for even a sniper rifle isn't going to be much more then 400m. 400m is hardly the effective range for any of the rifles and 400m is not going to have a large effect on the bullets velocity.

-Me
Old 02-03-2007, 12:13 AM   #20
TristanYockell
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelyjew
That's great and all but that really doesn't have a place in project reality because we never fight at those ranges. The max distance, witch graphical glitches that make enemies stand out, for even a sniper rifle isn't going to be much more then 400m. 400m is hardly the effective range for any of the rifles and 400m is not going to have a large effect on the bullets velocity.
Considering a .308 150 grain cartridge, fmj ball. You are getting about 850ft lbs of kinetic energy at 500 yards, it is said that 800 ft lbs is required to guarentee a large deer kill. I realise we are talking fmj, vs. soft expanding hunting ammo, but still it gives you an idea, that 7.62x51mm cartridges have alot of wack to them for a very long ways, they are still capable of killing someone quite easily after 900-1000 yards, without armour.

Tags
bullet, drop