project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Suggestions Archives
19 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2006, 03:31 AM   #11
thomaskunze
Send a message via ICQ to thomaskunze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrD
we need to promote voip usage and this will fill in the holes better. also promote the chain of command so people obey the commanders. at the moment a squad leader can kick members of his squad, but a commander cant kick squad leaders who don't conform to the battleplans he gives out. if you get a bad commander then an entire team is going to get upset obviously if their games are ruined over and over again.
I fully agree with this! Unfortunately, most of the time I played PR (mostly on iGi) there was just no commander present and I really appreciate the very few rounds where we had a straightforward and dedicated VOIP leader. Just yesterday evening we had lots of fun on iGi, but the squads had to comunicate to each other to organize teamwork (not the desired way of fighting the enemy). Can the devs please make a commanders job more promising somehow, for example giving them the ability to kick SLs who repeatedly disobey orders - as MrD mentioned.

I am very much looking forward to 0.4 and hope, that this issue will become redundant soon, as I can not emphasise enough the necessity of a leading commander for a funny game play and satisfying teamwork.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:12 AM   #12
IronTaxi
Mapping Manager

if we have a squad channel with multiple users there shouldnt be any reason we cant have the commander and all sls talking..

we will have to ask around and poke aroundin the code

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:01 AM   #13
Sealights

All I want is to talk to other SL on same comander channel to discuss different tactics in game, also the comander will talk on same channel to give us support and organize us on a better way.

I don't think will be that hard to recode.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:13 AM   #14
Sekular_Eternal

I'm all for this idea but unfortunately I think I remember that when this question was raised earlier it was said that the VOIP stuff was hard-coded into the engine and couldn't be messed with.

Don't take my word for that though.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:36 PM   #15
beta

Quote:
I don't think will be that hard to recode.
Nah, that would be easy to recode. The problem is (as with almost any mod) these developers DO NOT have access to the source code. So any coding will be manipulating already defined objects and such, no modifiying old objects, maybe making some new objects ...

Yeah, a new comm system would be great (global, team, vehicle, squad, local), but I don't think it will happen, and if it does, it will take a good long while to create and test.

Though an easier "fix" would probably be to make the Commander position more enticing to Commanders, not just people who want to call artillery or something. Points are one way, but the best way would be to allow people who actually want to command (not caring about points) be able to effectively command. This is possible in squads, but not commanding squads. Kicking SLs is one option, if it is abused, kick the commander, either from their position or the server.

Although, the words "hard coded" pop up again. Might be as simple as making some new python scripts, might be as complicated as writing a whole new system of how to kick a player from the squad instead of using the old one.

I'm sure with the amount (4th?) of threads of this nature, it is being looked at for a later release. You do want to see this mod before Christmas, right ?
Old 10-13-2006, 02:45 PM   #16
NikovK
Retired PR Developer

Given our luck, this is probably some crappy boolean algebra issue, "SquadLeaderCanHear: 1", and we can't touch it because of an EULA...

C'mon DICE, Squad Leader to Squad Leader chat on the gold line, puhleeeease?

Mapper of Road to Kyongan'Ni and Hills of Hamgyong;
Genius behind many Really Stupid Ideas, and some Decent Ones.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:21 PM   #17
Hx.Clavdivs

Actually, what if ... the commander doesnt get kick-vote? And how about, commanders starts lissening to SL when they voice threats or hindrances to their goal and not expect uber-soldiers Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker like - and maybe SL could get better at rapporting in. A Commander cannot focus his attention everywhere at once?

visit us at
and ''Squad Up" today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101 bassdrive
..game experience may change during weekends..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawz
LOL, Helix clan disclaimer

Tags
channel, leader, open, squad, voip